• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

Jokeropia

Forgotten Ancient said:
It's crazy how close famitsu and MC were with Sony and the 360 versus how far off they were with Nintendo (mainly the DS)

Were they covering different dates or something?
Maybe it's harder to reliably track systems that are selling out?

Eteric Rice

You know, a few years ago, if I had came here and told you that Japan would be dominated by a system called the "DS" and the "Wii," I would have been laughed out of these forums. :lol

Anyway, if the Wii can keep Japan and just have "decent" sales in Europe in America, they'll be damned well off.

Xeke

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
It's crazy how close famitsu and MC were with Sony and the 360 versus how far off they were with Nintendo (mainly the DS)

Were they covering different dates or something?

It's easier to lose count when you are dealing with that many.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Why do you only put the DS's current total, and leave the PSP and GBA hanging with no total? (You did that in the other graphs too.)

I'm not sure how you failed to realise that I only mark the weeks when million-barriers are broken. Happens to be that this week the DS broke 15m which is why I posted these graphs - it would be ridicilous to post this long-term-analysis graph every week.

However, I will make another graph in the style of the aligned DS vs PS2 as soon as the DS exceeds the GBA LTD

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
MrSardonic said:
I'm not sure how you failed to realise that I only mark the weeks when million-barriers are broken. Happens to be that this week the DS broke 15m which is why I posted these graphs - it would be ridicilous to post this long-term-analysis graph every week.

However, I will make another graph in the style of the aligned DS vs PS2 as soon as the DS exceeds the GBA LTD

I understood that you labeled them when they broke increments of a million, but I still think a total at the end of each product line, showing the current total, would be nice. Having the PSP and GBA ending with no total marker just seems weird to me. But it's your graph, I was just commenting.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The Nintendo DS: Can anything withstand it's cock fukking?

cvxfreak

Famitsu Last Week:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/2007/02/15/120,1171517738,67162,0,0.html

h-121_67164_070302hard.jpg.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
castle007 said:
WOW at the DS. We keep saying this. It never gets old :lol
Well it is call for, what kind of platform does over 200K in the middle of February?

Xavien

Heidir said:
DSL 201,177
Wii 78,550
PSP 32,175
PS3 23,431
PS2 16,033
Xbox360 4,811
GBASP 980
GBM 884
GC 383
DS 121
GBA 36

OMG, The Wii has sold more then all other hardware combined (except the DS) and the DS itself has outsold all other hardware combined (Wii included).... just ...... wow :lol

If VF5 wasn't at No.1 this week, it would have been flawless victory for Nintendo.

Haunted

Heidir said:
DSL 201,177
Wii 78,550
PSP 32,175
PS3 23,431
PS2 16,033
Xbox360 4,811
GBASP 980
GBM 884
GC 383
DS 121
GBA 36
Japan is celebrating easter every ****ing week it seems. weboughtjapan.jpg

Haunted_One said:
Japan is celebrating easter every ****ing week it seems. weboughtjapan.jpg

I don't think Japan celebrates Easter, but it's almost scary to think what kind of numbers the DS could put up if not constrained by supply.

>>06. (PS2, Capcom) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 27,519 / 304,113<<

Wow, GTA: SA is still racking up some impressive sales.

Go super-gaijin bad man! :lol

Then again, I'm still not sure if a black man can be gaijin.

Edit: Wiki seems to indicate that Carl Johnson can be called Gaijin.

mutsu

Cheesemeister said:
I don't think Japan celebrates Easter, but it's almost scary to think what kind of numbers the DS could put up if not constrained by supply.

Same can be said to the Wii. My friend is in Japan right now and he can't find one.

Cheesemeister said:

To be a true master of Media-Create, thou must know the history of the thread!

To the archives with you!

Pureauthor said:
To be a true master of Media-Create, thou must know the history of the thread!

To the archives with you!

Believe me, I've thought about compiling all the past data to make everything instantly browse-able or to spit out increasingly redundant uber-posts every week, but I think I'll have earned a break once I get a few new themes in (Pac-Man begone!). Unless someone would care to forward me a spreadsheet? :)

Jammy

Banned
DS continues to surprise me. I know it had over 70% of the spots in the software charts top 30, but over 200,000 shifted handhelds together with all those games sold is amazing.

Wii did well. Hardware sales went up ~13,000. PS3's, in comparison, only went up ~4,000 with the release of Virtua Fighter 5. Again, I cannot wait to see the charts when Wii gets Fire Emblem and Naruto next week.

Lapsed

Banned
What! GAF, you are saying the DS has the potential to become the best selling game system ever? This cannot be possible. The esteemed experts, who are more worldly and educated than everyone else stacked together, came up with a very different prediction:

Pachter thought of the DS as the N-Gage and that "I don't think the DS will sell". Other analysts compared the DS to the Virtual Boy.

The only explanation is that those Media Create numbers are a lie and got the DS and PSP labels switched at birth. If the "experts" made such a fantastic error, then no self-respecting press would still consider them 'experts', would they?

xaosslug

hmm. Let's think about this, really. PS2 does around 20,000 - 16,000 a week, while PS3 manages about the same or "better than" while Wii does between 100,000 - 50,000 a week with GC pulling in about 500. So, considering PS3's price, and how PS2's still selling, price seems to be factoring, A LOT. ...price cut soon pls, thanks SONY!

:lol

Busaiku said:
Wow, that's pretty surprising.
Especially considering the Saturn came from a system that didn't peform all that well in JPN (right?).

The Saturn did very well in Japan. It was neck-to-neck with the PS1 during its first 2 years.

xaosslug said:
hmm. Let's think about this, really. PS2 does around 20,000 - 16,000 a week, while PS3 manages about the same or "better than" while Wii does between 100,000 - 50,000 a week with GC pulling in about 500. So, considering PS3's price, and how PS2's still selling, price seems to be factoring, A LOT. ...price cut soon pls, thanks SONY!

Funnier still - Japan is the cheapest region for the PS3 already. I imagine there'll be bundles before price drops - which I don't think would make much of a difference, but it won't stop them from trying.

Stealth

xaosslug said:

Or maybe HD gaming is not that important, given 360 tracking behind Xbox as well. It's not exactly easy to call price the problem when everything branded Nintendo sells out and the other systems get to have the leftovers.

If Wii stops selling and PS3 continues at this rate, it catches up November 2, 2007.

At this week's PS2 and DS rates, DS catches up to PS2 August 26, 2007.

Wii comparisons: After 11 weeks, Wii's total is now about where GameCube was late August 2002, nearly a full year after launch. It's where DS was 5-6 weeks after launch. It's where PS2 was 10 weeks after launch. PS2 continues on in the 60-90K range each week for some time more, so given Wii supply I doubt it "catches up" anytime soon; if Wii demand manages to stay high, maybe once it's been out 3 times this long.

PS3 comparisons: After 14 weeks, PS3 appears to have hit what PS2 did in a little over a week. It also appears to be at another GameCube intersection, being at the total GCN was in just over 14 weeks.

Through 6 weeks, Nintendo has sold more hardware units than it did in the entire first quarter of any recent year. I've pointed out previously how strong MS's start has been relative to previous years, but now at 6 weeks they've sold more hardware units than they have in the first 17 weeks of any previous year.

AdmiralViscen said:
Still down YOY AFAIK.
(PSP) Year to date, yes, it's still down 2%. This is the third week it's been ahead directly on a single week comparison basis, though; this time by 29%.

MrSardonic said:
Too early for either of those graphs. I don't believe there is any M-C data available for the PS2 and GC launch periods (*). There is Famitsu data, which a few members kindly gave me, but I haven't had time to organize it all like I have the M-C data. Those guys (square/josh) might be able to reproduce the graphs you want, but with Famitsu data.
If you follow the "Wii comparisons" and "PS3 comparisons" links earlier in my post, there are graphs directly comparing each system to several others. However, they only go as far as necessary for the older system to pass what the current system does. Here are some others arbitrarily set for 26 weeks.
PS2 Famitsu vs Wii Media Create
GCN Famitsu vs PS3 Media Create

Wyndstryker said:
Is it normal that the PSP is outselling the PS3?
This is the 6th week in a row and 7th time overall, so pretty much.

Jokeropia said:
So last week Famitsu had Wii & DS higher than Media Create, and this week it's the opposite. It's like they adjust for their own mistakes or something. :p
I really should make a set of these for each system, but here's a chart for the 5 weeks we have from both this year, showing Wii and DS.

xaosslug

Stealth said:
Or maybe HD gaming is not that important, given 360 tracking behind Xbox as well. It's not exactly easy to call price the problem when everything branded Nintendo sells out and the other systems get to have the leftovers.

:lol OK.

Lapsed

Banned
Stealth said:

In two years, the HD consoles will begin to outsell everything. Pachter said so. He is smarter than all of us.

KINGMOKU

Anyone have Zelda Twighlight princess numbers totals? I'm making a companion ZELDA chart, and I need the most current total for it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
moku said:
Anyone have Zelda Twighlight princess numbers totals? I'm making a companion ZELDA chart, and I need the most current total for it.

You mean, like your Mario Chart? Sweet!!

I want a FF chart, too.

Busaiku

CurseoftheGods said:
The Saturn did very well in Japan. It was neck-to-neck with the PS1 during its first 2 years.
Yeah, as I mentioned later, by "coming off of", I mean coming right after the Megadrive, which didn't perform all that well in JPN (I believe). Virtua Fighter was a launch game, but the Saturn had no real claim to fame at that time, seeing as its predecessor ended with fairly weak sales (right?).

:lol @ the Wii getting the hardware spike this week, not the PS3.

Looks like titles like Wario Ware, Zelda, and Excitetruck are sticking around and moving some units too, because Wii Sports' tie ratio isn't quite as high as it used to be.

linsivvi

xaosslug said:

Unless Sony can find a way to significantly reduce the production cost within the short term, don't expect any price cut. A bundle, maybe, but a price cut seems out of the question.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jammy said:
Again, I cannot wait to see the charts when Wii gets Fire Emblem and Naruto next week.
I wouldn't expect it to go up much. It seems they sell as many as they can ship. Unless they've been keeping a few in reserve every week in anticipation for next week.

JoshuaJSlone said:
If Wii stops selling and PS3 continues at this rate, it catches up November 2, 2007.
I have a request. Can we get an "if every week from now on, the Wii sells what the PS3 sold this week, and vice versa" catch up date?

Jammy said:
DS continues to surprise me.

I think Japanese housing has gotten so small that they can no longer fit a console in their apartments. :D

Well . . . many Japanese did whine about how the xbox couldn't sell because 'it was too big'. Well, the xbox 360 is smaller and more conveniently shaped than the PS3 but that (and Blue Dragon) hasn't seemed to help much.

donny2112

AdmiralViscen said:
Still down YOY AFAIK.

Barely. It is getting closer, though.

sphinx said:
how does it compare to the NES in the US and PS2 in Europe?

I don't know about the PS2 in Europe, but it is currently tracking a bit behind the PS2 in the U.S. (combining Oct-Dec 2000 to line it up with Dec 2004 for DS). The DS was actually ahead for a couple of months before November. It should pull ahead again this year, though.

cvxfreak said:
Paging donny

With the large amount of other graphs, I thought it might be overkill. ;) For reference, I try to always keep the website up-to-date, even if I don't post the graphs here.

JPNConsoles-2.png

JPNHandhelds.png

I still don't think Nintendo is meeting the demand there. When hardware rises like this with no software releases, it really indicates a market that is starved for inventory.

They probably could be moving 250k DS' and 90-100k Wii a week.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Well, thank the lord that PS3 numbers jumped at least slightly from the Feb 4th hardware sales figures.

360 sales have plummeted back down to what they used to be before Blue Dragon, Lost Planet, Culdcept, DOAX2 etc. Standard 360 sales.....which is meh.

Wii sales are strong. Expected.

DS sales....I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. DS sales never stop. They just keep selling. I though it may have been a 2006 thing, but man, look at it go! Nintendo shouldn't even consider going into R&D for DS2 until later next year. I'm sure the original DS has at least another 4 years of juice in it. It has just hit its stride.

Top Bottom