• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

Dante

PS3 numbers are nice, given the price and all. Yeah we all know it's not going to put up Wii, PS2 numbers for a LONG time.

Dante said:
PS3 numbers are nice, given the price and all. Yeah we all know it's not going to put up Wii, PS2 numbers for a LONG time.

Errr ... those numbers are brutal. That's GameCube territory, probably even worse, since the GameCube actually did get fairly substantial spikes when titles like Resident Evil or Tales would come out.

I think some of Sony's audience is buying a PSP instead of a PS3 as well, as the PSP is still keeping its head above water.

donny2112 said:
[

With the large amount of other graphs, I thought it might be overkill. ;) For reference, I try to always keep the website up-to-date, even if I don't post the graphs here.

]

Its the original, its a classic.

Its also fantastic to see the 2005 sales and now.

Rememebr "WOW 50k!!!"

speculawyer said:
I think Japanese housing has gotten so small that they can no longer fit a console in their apartments. :D

Well . . . many Japanese did whine about how the xbox couldn't sell because 'it was too big'. Well, the xbox 360 is smaller and more conveniently shaped than the PS3 but that (and Blue Dragon) hasn't seemed to help much.

Weren't you saying a few days ago how Japan is a nationalistic country that only buys Japanese products?

Do you hate the Japanese?
:(

Dante

soundwave05 said:
Errr ... those numbers are brutal. That's GameCube territory, probably even worse, since the GameCube actually did get fairly substantial spikes when titles like Resident Evil or Tales would come out.

I think some of Sony's audience is buying a PSP instead of a PS3 as well, as the PSP is still keeping its head above water.

Gamecube costed what? Half the price, atleast?

Probably not until this generation is over.

10 year plans FTW!

The PS3 is putting up PS2 numbers.

Well I meant overall sales type numbers, but yeah. Anyways I better hightail it outta here as posting in these causes some of the natives to get restless, salecharts are fun, and who needs games when you can have PacMan charts!

ethelred

Dante said:

The PS3 is putting up PS2 numbers.

PS3 23,431
PS2 16,033

That's only a difference of 7,000 consoles... not bad at all.

Dante said:
10 year plans FTW!

And third parties will make games for how long if this is the sales standard? 2? 3 at most?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PS3 is beating what PS2 is doing in sales now, but PS3 LTD still hasn't reached what the PS2 LTD was a week after its launch.

Eteric Rice

Dante said:
10 year plans FTW!

Wait, wait... So when Nintendo has moved on to it's next system, and the PS3 finally crosses the Wii after it's been discontinued, will people be here screaming, "OMG LOL WII FAILED!1"

:lol

Lapsed

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
DS sales....I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. DS sales never stop. They just keep selling. I though it may have been a 2006 thing, but man, look at it go! Nintendo shouldn't even consider going into R&D for DS2 until later next year. I'm sure the original DS has at least another 4 years of juice in it. It has just hit its stride.

The DSes keep moving...

Jammy

Banned
These numbers make me ponder even more what the U.S. numbers for January were like. There's no way Nintendo is only getting that much out to Japan and Japan only. There's still Europe and the U.S. (and Australia and such) they have to satisfy, and I don't think their shipments are hugely skewed towards their home region of Japan. If the shipments HAVE been heavily favored towards Japan, though, I think the Wii will have definitely performed better in its first January than GCN ever did.

I also think Nintendo would be stupid to start R&D on a DS2 soon. They haven't been able to keep up with demand for a year, heavy hitters like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (outside of Japan) and Dragon Quest IX have yet to be released, and the same goes for More Brain Age and possibly more ingenius Touch! Generations games. And there's still the GBA userbase that is finally shifting over to the DS for the more kid-friendly and licensed games. Oh yeah, and then there's still a couple of price drops and colors they can release when sales finally do slow.

DS can keep going for at least three more years. If Nintendo were smart they wouldn't contemplate releasing a successor until Sony announces theirs, and even then, I think a more-promoted DS would still do wonders against a PSP2.

There's nothing wrong with doing R&D for DS2. Apple's multitouch probably gave Nintendo some ideas. But DS2 won't be out for a while. That doesn't neccessarily mean your R&D takes a vacation though.

I agree that Wii shipments in January (5 weeks) were probably only about 150-200k since Japan has been getting so many systems.

Still, even that would be more than 2x what the GC sold its first January for North America. Right now Nintendo has a green light to build a substantial lead in Japan, they should take it.

mj1108

Cheesemeister said:
I don't think Japan celebrates Easter, but it's almost scary to think what kind of numbers the DS could put up if not constrained by supply.

They've been celebrating Easter now for almost 2 years.

Now if there's an increase next week we could say they were celebrating Valentine's Day/Easter. :lol

jj984jj said:
Well it is call for, what kind of platform does over 200K in the middle of February?

Not just the middle of February, but the middle of Feb with no big new releases.

So we'er in mid February. Gaming sales are around mediocre to bad, just after New Years and Christmas, and the DS is at 200,000. There wasn't even a game released. Actaully I think DS game sales are bad. Think about it, if the damn thing is selling an average of 170,000 a week something like MK:DS should be doing like 25k a week minimun, and BT2 should be hitting 50k. If I bought a DS, those 2 would be the first games I buy, and NSMB, and Pokemon, and BT1, and BBA, and FF3, omg there are too many. I haven't even started. Ok maybe I am wrong. I think after the 1-10, the game sales must be very high in comparison to pre DS times. Thats why DS games have such sexy legs.

Eteric Rice

soundwave05 said:
No one put a gun to Sony's head and made them make a $500-$600 console. It's their bed, now they can lie in it.

Just ignore it, the defense force should be here soon. :lol

defforcefq0.jpg

I don't know if the software sales are that bad, I just think they're more spread out among the top 30 games this week.

DQ Monsters not getting a shipment this week probably also has something to do with that.

So as I said last week. Since they've increased production to 2.5 mil a month, expect to see 200k a week for 2007. So 200k is the new 80k. Is this getting close to iPod sales. I just can't believe its all being eaten up. I actually thought they would have a surpluss for the holiday period of this year. They might as well work on increasing production again. I predict that NA is at least 1 year behind on the craze and Europe around 6 months. So if all terrortories start pulling in 800k months thats, 2.4 million per 4 weeks. Yeah i'd say work on increasing production to 3mill per month, by August.

Link

The Autumn Wind
jamesinclair said:
Its the original, its a classic.

Its also fantastic to see the 2005 sales and now.

Rememebr "WOW 50k!!!"
I touched on this a while back:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4447139&postcount=143

Myself said:
I liken the DS to DBZ. You think the power levels they mention are a big deal, but as the show goes on, they just keep getting larger and larger. Soon you look back and realize that the earlier numbers were nothing compared to the current ones.

Yeah...

the thoroughbred said:
So we'er in mid February. Gaming sales are around mediocre to bad, just after New Years and Christmas, and the DS is at 200,000. There wasn't even a game released. Actaully I think DS game sales are bad. Think about it, if the damn thing is selling an average of 170,000 a week something like MK:DS should be doing like 25k a week minimun, and BT2 should be hitting 50k. If I bought a DS, those 2 would be the first games I buy, and NSMB, and Pokemon, and BT1, and BBA, and FF3, omg there are too many. I haven't even started. Ok maybe I am wrong. I think after the 1-10, the game sales must be very high in comparison to pre DS times. Thats why DS games have such sexy legs.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of the popular games are getting picked up used. I don't know how much of a price drop used games get versus new ones in Japan, but getting a handful of cheaper used titles would seem like a good idea.

the thoroughbred said:
So we'er in mid February. Gaming sales are around mediocre to bad, just after New Years and Christmas, and the DS is at 200,000. There wasn't even a game released.

Luminous Arc, Jet Impulse, and Morita Shogi Online weep bitterly.

Link

The Autumn Wind
soundwave05 said:
I agree that Wii shipments in January (5 weeks) were probably only about 150-200k since Japan has been getting so many systems.
You really think they'd be that skewed? Nintendo knows the demand is there in the US, and the competition is much more fierce here. It'd be incredibly short-sighted to just blow off US shipments like that.

From IGN
February 15, 2007 - The Japanese game industry is seeing some interesting times, with the Wii and DS dominating the sales charts while Sony's platforms falter. Famitsu recently asked analysts with Japanese firms Daiwa Securities, Nomura Securities and Mitsubishi UFJ Securities to share their thoughts on how things are shaping up for the game market as the 2007 fiscal year winds down.

Daiwa Securities' Eiji Maeda pointed to Gundam Musou and Virtua Fighter 5 as key software titles for the end of the fiscal year. He believes that sales of these two titles are important for the PlayStation 3 as a whole, and that other software manufacturers should be paying attention to them. Nomura's Yuta Sakurai also made mention of Gundam Musou as a key title for the end of the term, but added Monster Hunter Portable 2nd to the list. He feels that this game will push PSP hardware.

Everyone seems to be down on the PS3 and up on the Wii. Maeda believes Sony won't be able to get actual sales of six million PS3s by the end of the term. In contrast, he believes Nintendo will be able to ship out six million Wii units (2 million to Japan, 3 million to America, 1 million to Europe) and that the demand for the system won't die down for some time. Sakurai believes Sony's worldwide PS3 shipments will reach the 4.5 million mark, and stop there, while Nintendo will be able to ship 6.5 million systems. He also feels that the Wii supply problem won't clear up by the end of the term.

UFJ's Hiroshi Murakami thinks that the current retail state, where PS3's are readily available and Wii is nowhere to be found, will continue for a while. The Summer of 2007 will be the biggest fight for the PS3, he believes. Murakami believes strongly in the scenario of the PS3 being the number one system 3 to 5 years from now, and expects this state to come into view at the end of 2007.

Outside of the next generation, the analysts offers some interesting thoughts on the DS. Sakurai believes that the system saw its Japanese sales peak in 2006 and that sales will gradually go down from here on. However, he believes that the system's flame was lit in Europe over the holiday season, and that 2007 will be the breakout year over there. Murakami believes that while the DS's success will continue throughout the term, the end of 2007 is a bit unclear. There's the possibility that the light users will move away from the system. He feels that Dragon Quest IX will be the big test.

The last new Wii title to enter the chart was Excite Truck right at nearly a month ago? And no new games till the 22nd in which the Wii will get 2 games that chart. Eyeshield 21 is also expected to chart. What else does JP have for Wii for the next few months?

AniHawk

So, PS3 gets a new game that is the #1 game for the week, and sales go up by 4k-5k. The Wii gets no major releases, and sales go up by about 13,000.

Okay.

CoolTrick

Banned
February 15, 2007 - The Japanese game industry is seeing some interesting times, with the Wii and DS dominating the sales charts while Sony's platforms falter. Famitsu recently asked analysts with Japanese firms Daiwa Securities, Nomura Securities and Mitsubishi UFJ Securities to share their thoughts on how things are shaping up for the game market as the 2007 fiscal year winds down.

Daiwa Securities' Eiji Maeda pointed to Gundam Musou and Virtua Fighter 5 as key software titles for the end of the fiscal year. He believes that sales of these two titles are important for the PlayStation 3 as a whole, and that other software manufacturers should be paying attention to them. Nomura's Yuta Sakurai also made mention of Gundam Musou as a key title for the end of the term, but added Monster Hunter Portable 2nd to the list. He feels that this game will push PSP hardware.

Everyone seems to be down on the PS3 and up on the Wii. Maeda believes Sony won't be able to get actual sales of six million PS3s by the end of the term. In contrast, he believes Nintendo will be able to ship out six million Wii units (2 million to Japan, 3 million to America, 1 million to Europe) and that the demand for the system won't die down for some time. Sakurai believes Sony's worldwide PS3 shipments will reach the 4.5 million mark, and stop there, while Nintendo will be able to ship 6.5 million systems. He also feels that the Wii supply problem won't clear up by the end of the term.

UFJ's Hiroshi Murakami thinks that the current retail state, where PS3's are readily available and Wii is nowhere to be found, will continue for a while. The Summer of 2007 will be the biggest fight for the PS3, he believes. Murakami believes strongly in the scenario of the PS3 being the number one system 3 to 5 years from now, and expects this state to come into view at the end of 2007.

Outside of the next generation, the analysts offers some interesting thoughts on the DS. Sakurai believes that the system saw its Japanese sales peak in 2006 and that sales will gradually go down from here on. However, he believes that the system's flame was lit in Europe over the holiday season, and that 2007 will be the breakout year over there. Murakami believes that while the DS's success will continue throughout the term, the end of 2007 is a bit unclear. There's the possibility that the light users will move away from the system. He feels that Dragon Quest IX will be the big test.

I swear, just following these weekly charts can show has stupid some of these predictions are.

And welp, one of the PS3s big releases, VF5, just flopped (or at least failed to generate much hardware buzz, whether or not you want to label 50k a flop).

We don't know what Nintendo has really beyond April at all. They've been very, very quiet.

I would probably bet though knowing how Nintendo operates that bigger releases will "mysteriously" start to show up as production of the Wii ramps up to over 1 million/month after March.

Eteric Rice said:
You know, a few years ago, if I had came here and told you that Japan would be dominated by a system called the "DS" and the "Wii," I would have been laughed out of these forums. :lol

I read this and instantly thought of this pic. I wish could find a larger version.

psp%20ds.jpg

Its crazy that the Wii outsold the PS3 3:1.

I always thought Nintendo had at least one more big "trend" coming. They always do, and it usually comes completely out of left field and at a time when things look bleak for the company. But at the same time I have to admit, the PSP did look like it would really shake Nintendo to its knees.

I remember before Nintendogs/Brain Training came out in Japan that it would be great if both could do 800k-1 million life time. :lol

At that time, Nintendo hadn't had a non-Pokemon million seller in Japan for quite some time.

Stealth

xaosslug said:

All joking aside, though, do you really think price is what's hurting PS3 the most in Japan? I'd admit it's one of them, but the biggest? The sales aren't scary-low enough yet to make it appear that way. SW sales are the proof in the pudding.

Speevy

Banned
What's a fair number of months to wait before we declare the Wii a strong contender for end-of-generation winning console in Japan?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stealth said:
All joking aside, though, do you really think price is what's hurting PS3 the most in Japan? I'd admit it's one of them, but the biggest? The sales aren't scary-low enough yet to make it appear that way. SW sales are the proof in the pudding.
I'd say struggling to stay above 20k a week so soon after launch is plenty scary-low.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stealth said:
It's been repeated several times in this thread that of all the major territories, the PS3 price is lowest in Japan. What was the PS2's launch price again? I remember someone stating that the current PS3 20GB price isn't too far off of it...

Speevy said:
What's a fair number of months to wait before we declare the Wii a strong contender for end-of-generation winning console in Japan?
Some would say now but that is too soon. I think by Septemberish, 1. if Wii is still keeping sales above 60k a week and PS3 sales stay below 35k. And 2. if Sony hasn't made any announcements of games that could take Japan by storm. By that time I think Japan would be set with Nintendo, even if PS3 does make some progress by the end of the console cycle.

MGS4 carries weight but not enough, same with GT5 and FFXIII.

Link said:
I have a request. Can we get an "if every week from now on, the Wii sells what the PS3 sold this week, and vice versa" catch up date?
Ahhyes. I'd thought about the "what if things flip" scenario, but never actually calculated it. For this week, that would be... actually, it looks like I've already sort of calculated it, in a way. If you look at my PS3 vs Wii page, there are 2 catchup columns listed. The first is how long it would take for PS3 to catch up if this week's numbers went on indefinitely, which is calculated as

(Wii Total - PS3 Total) / (PS3 Weekly - Wii Weekly)

to determine how many weeks worth of difference it would take to make up for the current deficit. What you ask for would just reverse the subtraction in the divisor:

(Wii Total - PS3 Total) / (Wii Weekly - PS3 Weekly)

End result: Just take the "PS3 Catchup 1" column, and take the negative of it. So for this week, 16.1 weeks, which works out to June 3, 2007.

dirtmonkey37 said:
360 sales have plummeted back down to what they used to be before Blue Dragon, Lost Planet, Culdcept, DOAX2 etc. Standard 360 sales.....which is meh.
Dude, no they haven't. The week of 2006-02-06, Xbox 360 only sold 1288 units. The next time after that it sold more than 4K in a single week was the week of 2006-10-30.

Speevy said:

2 years or Final Fantasy XIII - Whatever takes longer.

Even then, that's probably being generous for sony.

- edit -

Actually, it's never too soon to say it's a strong contender. It's already there.

Top Bottom