• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

Mana Knight said:
Incorrect.

Proof

PS2 version sold 1.75 million
GC version sold 1.48 million
Xbox version didn't even reach a million.

What put the PS2 version on top was slightly selling more in Japan, and really beating the GC version in Europe. PS2 version selling the best is why Soul Calibur III went to PS3 only (MS was moving to 360, and the GC was starting to die).

a) You're using VGCharts. VGCharts is LOL.

b) Putting SC3 as a PS2 exclusive was a dumb decision regardless, considering they had already established fanbases on the other two consoles. Proof is in the pudding - SC3 ended up selling far worse than SC2 total.

lo zaffo

jarrod said:
Spot on. At this point, I'd even question Gran Turismo's ability to move hardware in Japan honestly, it hasn't really been a huge performer since GT3, finally relinquishing the racing sales crown back to Mario Kart last year.

Titles like Musou, Biohazard, DMC, WE, MGS, Mingol, Tekken, RR, Gundam, SMT... these sorts of games tend to perform well as a byproduct of platform success moreso than actually driving it. People expecting GameCube to carry of traditional Nintendo hits, but those hits' sales waned alongside the console instead (and all rebounded alongside DS too)... you can expect pretty much the same situation for PS3 software this generation, everything's going to track significantly worse across the board barring maybe some consistantcy from Final Fantasy.
It's not that I think You're wrong but You are guessing about the future, isn't it? Then what is about titles like Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros: Brawl and Mario Party Wii?

lo zaffo said:
It's not that I think You're wrong but You are guessing about the future, isn't it? Then what is about titles like Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros: Brawl and Mario Party Wii?

Uh, yeah, the same thing applies. If something ends up screwing Wii hardware sales over, these games won't sell as much as they could've.

Mana Knight said:
Incorrect.

Proof

What put the PS2 version on top was slightly selling more in Japan, and really beating the GC version in Europe. PS2 version selling the best is why Soul Calibur III went to PS3 only (MS was moving to 360, and the GC was starting to die).

I thought it was moneyhats and Sony's agreement to publish the game in some territories (Europe?) that earned them the exclusive.

lo zaffo said:

Those games you listed are catalysts for success, not byproducts of it. (Possibly excepting Mario Party...)

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Christopher said:
No actually that's pretty bad considering the name attached - Zelda was by far no super selling in Japan but it always enjoyed healthy sales.
Ah so 25% of the platform's user base means "unhealthy sales" now?

Damn, VF5 is barely reaching 8% of the user base and probably won't have much legs, what do you call that, complete and utter failure?

Does this mean that any DS game selling less than 3 million units has "unhealthy sales"? But wait over 1 million units on a nintendo platform is non-game right?

So if I follow your reasoning DS sales now go like that right?

0 - 1 million units : unhealthy game sales
1 million units - 3 million units : unhealthy non-game sales
> 3 million units : healthy non-game sales, Nintendo is killing the industry and gaming as we know it

Did I make any mistake?
skinnyrattler said:
What's a three letter word that describes amazement?
W - I - N

WIN

Forgotten Ancient said:
Those games you listed are catalysts for success, not byproducts of it. (Possibly excepting Mario Party...)

They are? See, 'catalysts for success' would be, for me, something a bit more like... y'know, Brain Training.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
What I find silly is how some people keep saying things like "Nintendo-fans were saying that this game would sell well" or "Sony-fans were saying this game would sell like crap" etc etc - restating these opinions from earlier threads which might as well have originated from one single person rather than a group of people..
If you're going to post something like that, give exact quotes from people who actually said it, instead of vaguely recalling it and applying it on any of the "camps" that somehow suits your argument/agenda. I mean, these quotes can't be that old and hard to find anyway. And besides, calling out specific posters for some crow-eatin' is always entertaining! :D

Mrbob

FF13 is nice, and GT5 is good, but Sony needs a breakout hit in a NEW series.

This is why I'm looking at Level 5's White Knight Story. It seems like Level 5 has been teetering for awhile on getting that break out hit, and this may be the one game to do so.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Zelda is certainly below 25% of the userbase by now.

The hardware is selling at a faster rate than the software, I don't think the ratio is still in tact.

Neomoto

Square2005 said:
Heh check out Nintendo's near total chart dominance 15 years ago:
Famitsu 3/9/1992:
Code:
    [U]SYS      TITLE                                      PUBLISHER  RAW     SCALED-UP *17[/U]
1  FC        Fire Emblem Gaiden	               Nintendo	4131	 70,227 NEW
2  SFC	Romancing SaGa	               Square	2541	 43,197 	
3  SFC	Exhaust Heat	               Seta	2139	 36,363 	
4  SFC	Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan      Bandai	1727	 29,359 	
5  SFC	Otogirisou	                               Chunsoft	1653	 28,101 	
6  SFC	Super Mario World	               Nintendo	1613	 27,421 	
7  SFC	Contra Spirits	               Konami	1225	 20,825 	
8  SFC	Legend of Zelda: Triforce Gods  Nintendo	1211	 20,587 	
9  FC	Yoshi's Egg	               Nintendo	1038	 17,646 	
10 GB	Adventure Island II	               Hudson	849	 14,433 	
11 SFC	Adventure Island	               Hudson	669	 11,373 
12 SFC	Harukuanaru Augusta	               T & E Soft	632	 10,744 
13 GB	Super Mario Land	               Nintendo	524	 8,908 
14 GB	Tetris	                               Nintendo	491	 8,347 
15 SFC	Super Wagyan Land	               Namco	481	 8,177 
16 SFC	Final Fantasy IV Easy Type        Square	472	 8,024 
17 FC	Techno's Ice Hockey          Technos Jp 	455	 7,735 
18 SFC	Dragon Slayer                          Epoch	431	 7,327 
19 GB	Mystical Warrior Sa.Ga 3      Square	430	 7,310 
20 GB	Yoshi's Egg	              Nintendo	412	 7,004 
21 SFC	Battle Dodgeball	              Banpresto	407	 6,919 
22 GB	Metroid II	                              Nintendo	394	 6,698 
23 SFC	Super Nobunaga's Ambition       Koei	370	 6,290 
24 SFC	Final Fight	                              Capcom	366	 6,222 
25 SFC	SimEarth	                              Imagineer	327	 5,559 
26 PCE	Parodius	                              Konami	306	 5,202 
27 FC	Super Mario Brothers 3             Nintendo	298	 5,066 	
28 SFC	SimCity	                              Nintendo	291	 4,947 	
29 FC	Namco Classic II	              Namco	288	 4,896 NEW
30 SFC	Pro Football	              Imagineer	285	 4,845
One non-NIntendo title made it in the Top30, can you find it?
Wow, seems like Nintendo always had the knowledge (and licence) to print money! Only difference is that they are doing it more effectively now. ;)

methane47

Masklinn said:

Damn, VF5 is barely reaching 8% of the user base and probably won't have much legs, what do you call that, complete and utter failure?

I think the problem with us saying that Zelda is selling badly ... is because Zelda is synonimous with Nintendo.... If I ask any person on the street to name some Nintendo titles... They will most likely say Mario then Zelda...

If you ask someone on the street to name a Playstation title... I'll bet my next paycheck that Virtua Fighter isn't the word that would come out of their mouth

Masklinn said:
Does this mean that any DS game selling less than 3 million units has "unhealthy sales"? But wait over 1 million units on a nintendo platform is non-game right?

> 3 million units : healthy non-game sales, Nintendo is killing the industry and gaming as we know it

Did I make any mistake?

Lol that is Hillarious :lol :lol :lol

Neomoto

methane47 said:
I think the problem with us saying that Zelda is selling badly ... is because Zelda is synonimous with Nintendo.... If I ask any person on the street to name some Nintendo titles... They will most likely say Mario then Zelda...

If you ask someone on the street to name a Playstation title... I'll bet my next paycheck that Virtua Fighter isn't the word that would come out of their mouth

Lol that is Hillarious :lol :lol :lol
Zelda is the third highest sold game on the Wii in Japan. Don't know what it's attach rate is now, but an attach rate of 25% that the title not so long ago had is huge. Or is Final Fantasy XII's ~ 11% attach rate a total faluire just to name 1 big game? Or Dragon Quest? The 2 biggest non-nintendo franchises in Japan? Guess that about wraps it up for Square-Enix.

Don't forget that in the overal picture: Wii Sports is a million seller, Wii Play almost 900k, Zelda at ~ 350k, Wario Ware at ~ 330k and Pokemon Battle Revolution at ~ 220k. Those are the top selling software (those games alone are allready ~ 3 million copies! let alone all the other games + Narotu and Fire Emblem who launch in a few weeks), and it's pretty darn good for just 2 months on the market (better dan DS first software months for example).

Besides, Wii Sports is (by a pretty good margin) cheaper and shows the systems potential like no other game. Wii Play is not only cheaper than Zelda, you also get a "free" Wii remote thrown in, who doesn't want that? I've certainly bought Wii Play just for the controller, so yeah.. Zelda is numbero 3, which also means that it's the third highest sold next-gen game in Japan. I think it's doing just fine, if not great. Some people are overexaggerating and acting like Zelda is dead in Japan... lol.

Pureauthor said:
They are? See, 'catalysts for success' would be, for me, something a bit more like... y'know, Brain Training.

They're not mutually exclusive. Are you saying Mario Galaxy isn't going to be a System Seller? Smash Bros. week won't cause a big spike and have lasting effect on Wii hardware?

And...I think I may be seriously underestimating Mario Party Wii.

pswii60 said:
But Final Fantasy has always been such a huge juggernaut. Selling millions upon day of release. Surely something's gotta come of that?
Nintendo franchises aren't tiny themselves, but appearing on GameCube they all had pretty neutered sales compared to when on other Nintendo systems that sold 4 times as well. Big games would occasionally hit the N64 and GameCube, but hardware sales still remained pretty flat or on a downward trend. We have no precedent for what might happen if a numbered Final Fantasy exclusively hits a system that's in a distant 2nd place. Err, other than WonderSwan Color, but those were all remakes/ports.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu data from neoplay...

DS - 165.000
Wii - 70.000
PSP - 32.000
PS3 - 23.000
PS2 - 16.000
360 - 4.400
Is that supposed to be for 11/29-2/4 or 2/5-2/11, considering we always get Famitsu hardware data a week later? Just wondering if people are reacting to a shuffled version of what we were already looking at last week.
Agent Icebeezy said:
aren't famitsu numbers always higher than media creates?
Not always, but they have been for PS3 in the last three weeks.
MrSardonic said:
You think the NES sold only 6.8m units in Japan?
Being a bundled game wouldn't mean it was bundled for the entirety of the system's life; especially considering it came out 2 years after launch.

I don't know if SMB was ever bundled.
Kiriku said:
What I find silly is how some people keep saying things like "Nintendo-fans were saying that this game would sell well" or "Sony-fans were saying this game would sell like crap" etc etc - restating these opinions from earlier threads which might as well have originated from one single person rather than a group of people..
If you're going to post something like that, give exact quotes from people who actually said it, instead of vaguely recalling it and applying it on any of the "camps" that somehow suits your argument/agenda. I mean, these quotes can't be that old and hard to find anyway. And besides, calling out specific posters for some crow-eatin' is always entertaining!
Agreed. Making fun of a group: doubles argument size this week and results in retaliatory mass trashing in the future. Making fun of a poster: actually alerts us to who made a bad call.

Mana Knight said:
Incorrect.

Proof

If that were the case, they shoudl ahve put more Tales games on the GCN because it opened the franchise to the US and sold real well.

BandaiNamco and Capcom both make dumb business decisions.

Masklinn said:

Did I make any mistake?

/).-;

Do you always miss points? :lol anyways

JoshuaJSlone said:
Is that supposed to be for 11/29-2/4 or 2/5-2/11, considering we always get Famitsu hardware data a week later? Just wondering if people are reacting to a shuffled version of what we were already looking at last week.
2/5-2/11, like the software data.

sphinx

the piano man
I think sony's main problem is that Nintendo has set the bar really high in regards to new IPs. Since they launched the DS, massive success was achieved because of new IPs like nintendogs and Brain training. Old franchises like Mario and Pokemon still count of course but success wouldn't have been as great if it weren't for the new IPs.

When sony took a look at that and realized that the PSP wasn't going to make it with the port, sequels and remakes, they tried pushing loco roco, a good game..... a little too late. If Sony plans on pushing new IPs on the PS3 they better bring them fast. holiday 2008 might be too late.

And in regards to the price, I firmly believe there can be a way to dodge the $600 mantra if you have a GREAT software product that is supported with a big marketing campaign. PS3 is failing to measure up at that.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Really? Did Famitsu speed up their delivery of Hardware sales? I just figured they were slightly different estimations for last week.
Nope, its the blog user (neoplay) who gives it. He also gives first day sales (which is Famitsu data too).

Meier said:
Sorry, but VGCharts is far from proof. Not to say that the PS2 version didn't outsell it in Europe, but that link certainly doesn't prove that it did.
Take a look at this and this. It was already known that the PS2 version outsold the GC and Xbox version in Europe (partially because Europe is where the PS2 really dominated. Even Sonic Heroes did the best on PS2 in Europe). The PS2 version was outsold by the GC version in the U.S. by around 60k. In Japan, the PS2 version made the top 100 in 2003, while the GC version did not. I'm just trying to show the PS2 version did sell the most, regardless of what source is used. We all know why the GC version sold well, and it was because of Link (even people who didn't like fighters bought SCII for GC, just because of Link).
LanceStern said:
If that were the case, they shoudl ahve put more Tales games on the GCN because it opened the franchise to the US and sold real well.

BandaiNamco and Capcom both make dumb business decisions.
Tales still has its biggest popularity in Japan. Tales of Symphonia failed to meet the 500k expectations Namco was wanting; therefore it came to PS2 (selling around 400K, compared to 300K on GC). When you factor in the costs of doing the port, Namco probably would have been best off keeping it on PS2 (in the Japanese market). What helped ToS sell on GC was GC having no good, original RPG at the time, and there was a huge drought of games on GC in Summer 2004. If it were released around the same time as Paper Mario or any big Nintendo franchise, it might have been left un-touched by many.

I won't deny Namco makes dumb business decisions, because they released Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Legendia, and Tales of the Abyss at bad times.

jarrod

Banned
Mana Knight said:
SC3 went PS2 only because Sony paid for it. 7 months before it released, there were still 3 other SKUs in R&D (GC, Xbox & 360) and evidently some staff working on the projects even found out about exclusivity after Famitsu did.

The end result though, is that Namco torpedoed the franchise sales (SC3 sold less than a quarter what SC2 managed... less than half versus SC2 on PS2 alone). One of Namco's worst mistakes in recent memory... hopefully they're more careful with SC4.

Mana Knight said:
Tales still has its biggest popularity in Japan.
And Soul Calibur's largest market is the USA, where SC2 GC sold the most out of any release in the entire series.

Mana Knight said:
. Tales of Symphonia failed to meet the 500k expectations Namco was wanting; therefore it came to PS2 (selling around 400K, compared to 300K on GC). When you factor in the costs of doing the port, Namco probably would have been best off keeping it on PS2 (in the Japanese market). What helped ToS sell on GC was GC having no good, original RPG at the time, and there was a huge drought of games on GC in Summer 2004. If it were released around the same time as Paper Mario or any big Nintendo franchise, it might have been left un-touched by many.
I have no contention with your opinion, but for the record, Namco expected Baten Kaitos to sell 500k in Japan oalone for GCN. They are dumb.

sharkie

Mana Knight said:
Incorrect.

Proof

I live in the UK and after the first month of release SC 2 sold the best on the GC here.

gconsole said:
And you think VF5 will sell better if it release on 360 or Wii ?
I don't say PS3 has bright future but when people talk about wait until ### comes out , I only think about FF, MGS , RE, GT or other million seller games.

I don't think Resident Evil series been big since PS1 days. Non of the Resident Evil helped the Gamecube or was that great of a seller in Japn.

pswii60 said:
:lol

I dunno. I just wasn't expecting this in Japan this gen - none of us were. The market has become so unpredictable. Who would've thought that DOA4 would have sold faster than VF5? Absolutely no-one on GAF, that's for sure.

But Final Fantasy has always been such a huge juggernaut. Selling millions upon day of release. Surely something's gotta come of that?

It probably will do well. And yet sadly Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey will get completely ignored in comparison.

I for one could tell that Nintendo had hit the right ideas, just by the DS. Game sytems are never static. What I mean by that just becuase something was number 1 in one generation doens't mean it will be number 1 the next. Things change real fast in this industry. they have since the NES days.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kobun Heat said:
I think that's exactly why we haven't heard much about it since E3 -- I think they realize that it's got huge potential, and they needed to actually take it back and work more on it and get it right.

Or maybe they're just putting focus on more important projects? I dunno, I don't see Wii music as being a big seller. I could see that for Wii Sports and Nintendogs, but not this..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sphinx said:
And in regards to the price, I firmly believe there can be a way to dodge the $600 mantra if you have a GREAT software product that is supported with a big marketing campaign. PS3 is failing to measure up at that.
But isn't the PS3 already cheaper in Japan compared to other markets?

cvxfreak

XiaNaphryz said:
But isn't the PS3 already cheaper in Japan compared to other markets?

Yep, and technically so's the Wii but it doesn't include Wii Sports in Japan, so the distinction is blurred.

機種 販売台数
DSL 146,073
Wii 65,740
PSP 31,216
PS3 18,727
PS2 17,540
Xbox360 6,130
GBM 1,050
GBASP 724
GC 306
DS 119
GBA 28

Is what it says on the Media Create page right now. Are those this week's, or old?

EDIT: I guess they're old. Move right along.

cvxfreak

Kobun Heat said:
機種 販売台数
DSL 146,073
Wii 65,740
PSP 31,216
PS3 18,727
PS2 17,540
Xbox360 6,130
GBM 1,050
GBASP 724
GC 306
DS 119
GBA 28

Is what it says on the Media Create page right now. Are those this week's, or old?

Helps to look at the date on top of the page, you know.

2007年1月29日〜2月4日  週間ソフト&ハードセルスルーランキング

Top Bottom