• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

methane47

I will now anounce that Japan no longer plays video games.... They only play nongame games....

This is overwhelmingly obvious from these Media Create threads....

Japan to world: "Video games are soooo 2 years ago.."
:lol

Its one of those undebatable facts like - Belgium does not exist or There are no gamer girls...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
SuomiDude said:
So did Super Mario Bros. for Famicom really sell that much as a stand-alone game (in Japan), not as a bundle? I mean if it was sold as a bundle with the system, they shouldn't be counted for total sales.

You think the NES sold only 6.8m units in Japan?

methane47 said:
I will now anounce that Japan no longer plays video games.... They only play nongame games....

Its one of those undebatable facts like - Belgium does not exist or There are no gamer girls...

Yeah, uh, time for your meds, dude.

D.Lo

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PS3 - 23.000
hudson-TR.jpg

Game over man, game over...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
methane47 said:

Sigh.

Meier

d[-_-]b said:
How was the game?

I liked it, but I'm a fan of the series. The balance wasn't very good although I heard they improved it in VB2 which I never got around to playing. I'd probably buy the Ippo game for Wii if it comes out in America.

I don't get it when people say DMC, MGS4 etc will be system sellars. If Zelda couldn't do anything significant, other games of this calibre are also capable of Gaf-flops. The only one I foresee doing well is FF13, as it has been consistent all the time. But we'll see. And even if it sells 3 million, and 3 million new PS3 owners come about, during the release of this game, thats a lot, but it won't be enough to give the breath of life the PS2 had.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
the thoroughbred said:
Zelda couldn't do anything significant
As it's already been mentioned several times, many people (me included) do consider reaching 25% of the user base "significant".

Not stellar superduper runaway success, but a far cry form bomba.

methane47

Masklinn said:
As it's already been mentioned several times, many people (me included) do consider reaching 25% of the user base "significant".

It upsets me greatly that ONLY 25% of the Wii users want to play Zelda... while 70% of the Wii userbase rather play WiiPlay... It really hurts my heart..

methane47 said:
It upsets me greatly that ONLY 25% of the Wii users want to play Zelda... while 70% of the Wii userbase rather play WiiPlay... It really hurts my heart..

It hurts me greatly that only 1/50 of the world's population played/plays console games. :(

As I see it, the PS3 has exactly two system sellers in the pipeline, as far as Japan is concerned: Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. I don't know why everyone has expectations for Devil May Cry or Metal Gear...these games have never really driven hardware sales. I'm sure they're going to be brilliant games and will sell quite well, but for the most part, they are going to be preaching to the choir.

The major problem the PS3 has is that both of its system sellers are nebulous 2008 releases. By the time they arrive, the battle for Japan will be over. The entire Final Fantasy fanbase could march out and buy a PS3 on day one of the game's release, and if the sales picture continues as it has, the PS3 would still be significantly behind the Wii.

For Sony's sake, they had better be doing well in the US. And they'd better pray things go well in Europe. Losing Japan isn't a fatal blow, but it's a fairly devastating one for a company that has always enjoyed strong Japanese support.

klee123

Segata Sanshiro said:
As I see it, the PS3 has exactly two system sellers in the pipeline, as far as Japan is concerned: Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. I don't know why everyone has expectations for Devil May Cry or Metal Gear...these games have never really driven hardware sales. I'm sure they're going to be brilliant games and will sell quite well, but for the most part, they are going to be preaching to the choir.

The major problem the PS3 has is that both of its system sellers are nebulous 2008 releases. By the time they arrive, the battle for Japan will be over. The entire Final Fantasy fanbase could march out and buy a PS3 on day one of the game's release, and if the sales picture continues as it has, the PS3 would still be significantly behind the Wii.

For Sony's sake, they had better be doing well in the US. And they'd better pray things go well in Europe. Losing Japan isn't a fatal blow, but it's a fairly devastating one for a company that has always enjoyed strong Japanese support.

Well, there are other possible unknown franchises which could give the PS3 a good boost in Japan. I dunno, but I reckon non games like Afrika and Eye of judgement are good wildcards. I mean, they aren't guaranteed to make the PS3 popular, but they do have a good chance.

klee123 said:
Well, there are other possible unknown franchises which could give the PS3 a good boost in Japan. I dunno, but I reckon non games like Afrika and Eye of judgement are good wildcards. I mean, they aren't guaranteed to make the PS3 popular, but they do have a good chance.

Oh, absolutely. I don't know why I didn't put it into my post, but what I meant to say was exactly two known quantities. There could be any number of games that we don't have any idea about that could move systems. In fact, that's typically how it goes. Wii Sports looks to be one, for example. Those can rarely be counted on in a business plan, though.

Blablurn

Segata Sanshiro said:

Don't forget Winning Eleven. While the 360 version does not work there, the PS3 Version has great chances to be a next generation hit. just look at the sales number of Winning Eleven 9 or 10.

Were all these Sony guys talking about how they wish all consoles could do well instead of just Wii/DS saying the same thing when PS2 was kicking Cube's ass? I know they don't say it about 360 now.

How can people whine about nongames at the same time as NSMB is performing as well as it is? Most of the DS games up there aren't nongames, especially in the top 15 or so.

How come the same people who used Zelda's “bombing” on Wii as part of the nongame scourge are calling VF5's worse attach ratio a success?

How come Sfans keep pointing the finger at Nfans for misjudging Cooking Mama when even other Nfans were saying that CM wouldn't be a big seller for weeks now? Most people bringing up CM were bringing it up with a bevy of other titles against accusations of a software drought. Sfans were bringing up VF5 as some kind of amazing savior not only for its own sales, but for PS3 sales as a whole. Though this slowed down in the last few weeks, a month ago this was the standard chant.

This place is so transparent its ridiculous. Deal with it, PS3 is not going to be the force PS2 was. No console will ever be. It's still PlayStation, it's still got a good number of third party exclusives and Sony itself has become a huge first party developer. It's still top dog over 360 in Japan, so Eastern developers with big-budget visions will still be picking PS3. And PS3 will do better than this in US and Europe by all reasoning, so what's there to worry about?

And if you're an Sfan who honestly thinks Sony will perform disastrously... Then live up to your “unbiased” mantra and buy Wii60. You're not going to fix the “problem” (that doesn't exist yet) by lashing out at everyone on a message board.

It's like 1998 all over again. Reversed.

Grow up, it's video games.

Christopher

Masklinn said:

No actually that's pretty bad considering the name attached - Zelda was by far no super selling in Japan but it always enjoyed healthy sales.

klee123

Actually, I also forgot about Minno no Golf. If the PS3 version is online compatible with good graphics, I can also see it as a big hit as well.

Christopher said:
No actually that's pretty bad considering the name attached - Zelda was by far no super selling in Japan but it always enjoyed healthy sales.

Did Wind Waker manage a 25% attach rate? Did Ocarina of Time?

Blablurn

klee123 said:
Actually, I also forgot about Minno no Golf. If the PS3 version is online compatible with good graphics, I can also see it as a big hit as well.

hopefully it's going to be more successful than SEGA's golf simulation -_-

Nice post, Admiral.

bud

klee123 said:

Yeah the series sell pretty well, but the game isn't expected until around june

We've never had a launch Zelda, so it's hard to make any truly meaningful comparisons. I do think over time it's going to crawl to decent numbers, but looking at the last few installments, I'd say Zelda's (as a franchise) sun has largely set in Japan.

As for Minna no Golf and Winning Eleven - I don't doubt those games will sell very well, but I don't see them moving a lot of systems. I might be wrong, after all, I'm only guessing, but I doubt they'll do more for the PS3 in terms of system sales than they did for the PSP.

AdmiralViscen said:
Were all these Sony guys talking about how they wish all consoles could do well instead of just Wii/DS saying the same thing when PS2 was kicking Cube's ass? I know they don't say it about 360 now.

How can people whine about nongames at the same time as NSMB is performing as well as it is? Most of the DS games up there aren't nongames, especially in the top 15 or so.

How come the same people who used Zelda's “bombing” on Wii as part of the nongame scourge are calling VF5's worse attach ratio a success?

How come Sfans keep pointing the finger at Nfans for misjudging Cooking Mama when even other Nfans were saying that CM wouldn't be a big seller for weeks now? Most people bringing up CM were bringing it up with a bevy of other titles against accusations of a software drought. Sfans were bringing up VF5 as some kind of amazing savior not only for its own sales, but for PS3 sales as a whole. Though this slowed down in the last few weeks, a month ago this was the standard chant.

This place is so transparent its ridiculous. Deal with it, PS3 is not going to be the force PS2 was. No console will ever be. It's still PlayStation, it's still got a good number of third party exclusives and Sony itself has become a huge first party developer. It's still top dog over 360 in Japan, so Eastern developers with big-budget visions will still be picking PS3. And PS3 will do better than this in US and Europe by all reasoning, so what's there to worry about?

And if you're an Sfan who honestly thinks Sony will perform disastrously... Then live up to your “unbiased” mantra and buy Wii60. You're not going to fix the “problem” (that doesn't exist yet) by lashing out at everyone on a message board.

Win.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Isn't sony predicting 10 millions ps3 for the FY 2007 ?
It's like the 360 numbers but with japan. It's clear that sony doesn't expect to sell a lot of ps3 in japan until 2008.

Blablurn said:
Don't forget Winning Eleven. While the 360 version does not work there, the PS3 Version has great chances to be a next generation hit. just look at the sales number of Winning Eleven 9 or 10.

How is it a system seller when it will be on Wii and 360 as well?

Tieno

methane47 said:

WTF? I'm from Belgium :(

Meier

Blablurn said:

Sales have fallen off precipitously in this series. Winning Eleven, Dynasty Warriors and Capcom hack'n'slash games had their period of 2 or so years where they were off the charts on the PS2, but those days are far behind them. It will sell decently, but I fully expect Minna no Golf to outsell it at least 2 to 1 on the PS3.

Good post AdmiralViscen.

Blablurn

ChrisAllenFiz said:
How is it a system seller when it will be on Wii and 360 as well?

To be honest. I can not imagine how the controls could work on the wiimote. in my opinion the dual shock controller is the best controller when it's up to soccer games. moreover the xbox360 version has no chance to be successful in japan...

andthebeatgoeson

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu data from neoplay...

VF5 - 52.000
Jet Impulse - 4.300
Luminous Arc - 30.000
Sangokushi - 13.000 (110.000)
Out Run 2 SP - 6.000
Cooking Mama - 5.000
Wario Wii - 10.000 (330.000)
Medal of Honor Heroes - 7.000
Monster Hunter Portable (The Best) - 12.000 (250.000) (~940.000 with original release)

DS - 165.000
Wii - 70.000
PSP - 32.000
PS3 - 23.000
PS2 - 16.000
360 - 4.400
What's a three letter word that describes amazement?

Haha, I hate to laugh and cheer the demise of a company since none of them care about us but Sony needs to set the example. People won't accept a $600 game console. Did they forget what made them successful?

Blablurn

skinnyrattler said:

Haha, I hate to laugh and cheer the demise of a company since none of them care about us but Sony needs to set the example. People won't accept a $600 game console. Did they forget what made them successful?

the problem is...it does not cost 600$ there...

Crom

Fighting games are weak nowadays. Bring back the Double Dragon/Streets of Rage/ Final Fight style.

Fighting one person at a time is lame. Give me a beer bottle and send 4 thugs at me at the same time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AdmiralViscen said:

I get the feeling that you'll need to re-post this in every Media Create thread with slight modifications for the next couple of months...

Xellotah

Meier said:
Sales have fallen off precipitously in this series. Winning Eleven, Dynasty Warriors and Capcom hack'n'slash games had their period of 2 or so years where they were off the charts on the PS2, but those days are far behind them. It will sell decently, but I fully expect Minna no Golf to outsell it at least 2 to 1 on the PS3.

Sequelitus

skinnyrattler said:

Yep, but more importantly they forgot what doomed the 3DO.

pr0cs

theBishop said:
Why do sales figures always bring out the worst in people?
people feel vindicated or buyers remorse that somehow because everyone else is buying or avoiding the same product as them they somehow made the right or wrong purchase.

gkryhewy

theBishop said:
Why do sales figures always bring out the worst in people?

Nothing's worse than reading the HDDVD/BluRay threads in the OT. Sony fans really take out their pent-up frustrations there; it's ugly.

I asked this at the previous sales thread but it was kind of late: how is Wario: Master of Disguise?

Meier said:
There is no way to spin the sales of VF5 as positive. It is a bomb of epic preportions. I actually expect Gundam Musou to debut around 125k or thereabouts, but to have very short legs. Although Musou games are not what they were 2 years ago or so, Gundam titles still do very well and even if the hardcore gamers did not come out and buy VF5, the current PS3 demographic has to suit the Gundam crowd quite well.

Given the PS3's performance in Japan, the system's situation is getting progressively worse as it seems to move from slow seller to almost a crisis for Sony. The fact that Virtua Fighter 5 sold 48,000 copies and boosted the hardware sales by 5,000 from the previous week is a success, just not a big one.

I'm sure whatever bombing will happen with the PS3 version will be recuperated with the 360 version. I doubt it will sell huge amounts of copies but I imagine it will sell in the hundreds of thousands.

BuzzJive

Love the Mario Chart. Does anybody have something like that for Mario Kart? I love seeing Mario Kart DS on the charts every week still - well over a year later. How does it compare to other Mario Karts in Japan?

methane47 said:

I feel it too. Its like this huge ball of bitterness at the back of my throat, that just won't go down. I wish it ends up doing well eventually, I don't really know what I am asking for here, maybe a second wind or something.

How did you calculate that. I thought the Wii userbase is well over 1million now. And Zelda is at what.

Well GC was at 4 million, and WW was at around 900,000. So if it stays 25% all the time, which it won't, that would be good enough. I mean its already dropped out. And if the Wii sells 60k, then Zelda has to hit 15k every week.

theBishop

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Nothing's worse than reading the HDDVD/BluRay threads in the OT. Sony fans really take out their pent-up frustrations there; it's ugly.

the weekly MC threads are far worse.

no comparison.

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Spot on. At this point, I'd even question Gran Turismo's ability to move hardware in Japan honestly, it hasn't really been a huge performer since GT3, finally relinquishing the racing sales crown back to Mario Kart last year.

Titles like Musou, Biohazard, DMC, WE, MGS, Mingol, Tekken, RR, Gundam, SMT... these sorts of games tend to perform well as a byproduct of platform success moreso than actually driving it. People expecting GameCube to carry of traditional Nintendo hits, but those hits' sales waned alongside the console instead (and all rebounded alongside DS too)... you can expect pretty much the same situation for PS3 software this generation, everything's going to track significantly worse across the board barring maybe some consistantcy from Final Fantasy.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Anyway, the problem is that Namco's decisions are not smart (they remember me Capcom). Soul Calibur II sold more on Gamecube and then they decided to make a PS2's exclusive.
Incorrect.

Proof

PS2 version sold 1.75 million
GC version sold 1.48 million
Xbox version didn't even reach a million.

What put the PS2 version on top was slightly selling more in Japan, and really beating the GC version in Europe. PS2 version selling the best is why Soul Calibur III went to PS3 only (MS was moving to 360, and the GC was starting to die).

Meier

Sorry, but VGCharts is far from proof. Not to say that the PS2 version didn't outsell it in Europe, but that link certainly doesn't prove that it did.

Top Bottom