• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Gamespot review

Alcibiades

First of all, the eight games shouldn't take up any space, they could put them in a N64 cartridge probably (w/ exception of the MM8 PS-X game)...

the only thing would be the re-mixed music, but even that shouldn't take up too much space, it's not like it orchestrated live, it's still computer music, no?

the developer interview seems cool, but I doubt it took all THAT much space...

Link316

Banned
no it sounds about right, DVD holds about 2 hours of movies, GC disc is about 1/3 the size or 40 minutes, 20 minutes of cutscenes in MM8 + 20 minutes for the interview is where all that space went

so at they least filled up the GC disc, the PS2 version's the one that's actually being ripped off, they could've also included the interview but instead they're just leaving all that extra space to waste

teiresias

That space is put to much more productive use being blank than it would be having something produced by G4 pressed into it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
It was already mentioned that the remixed tracks are already in the game and you can listen to them. The PS2 version just have them available in Navi mode.

TekunoRobby said:
It was already mentioned that the remixed tracks are already in the game and you can listen to them. The PS2 version just have them available in Navi mode.

Ok, let me revise an earlier statement of mine, and say that if it is discovered that indeed the remix tracks ARE in the GC version, yet not playble during gameplay and only in a sound test mode, then at Capcom there better be some motherfuckin' HEADS ROLLING. I want blood. This would turn out to be the biggest possible slap in the face if the music is there, yet can't be heard in Navi mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TekunoRobby said:
I don't understand, they blame space on the problem but yet the remix tracks are clearly in the game. A couple lines of code to reference the tracks can't take up that much space, I doubt they are using every single kb available.

Either he isn't being being concise enough or that was a poor attempt on covering their mistake.

No they are not. Only a few of the remixed tracks are present in the game...not all of them. There's a big difference.

WordofGod said:
Maybe someone should tell Capcom about MP3 files.

In MP3, just one game takes up about 60mb of space (judging from the 128kbps recording of Megaman 4 that I have on MP3, which are the arranged tracks from the PSX version). It is stated that MM1-7 include updated music, so 60mb * 7 games = 420mb of space required. Now, they have included 40 minutes of video (quality unknown), which is something that is likely to take up a lot of space AND you have to consider the space required for all of the other data (menus, games, MM8 itself, etc.). The music here is NOT chip music (though I suppose it COULD have been), so you'd need to store digital versions of them. A GC disc is 1.5gb IIRC (perhaps that is incorrect though) so 420mb would be NEARLY 1/3 of the disc.

So, when you sit down and think about it, I can see why they had issues fitting all of that content in the game. I'm sure there was leftover space, but there probably was not ENOUGH leftover space to fit all of the music tracks (consider just how many there are!).

NotMSRP

At the very least, GC version should have the Saturn MM8 version while the PS2 version has the PS1 version as compensation.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
dark10x said:
No they are not. Only a few of the remixed tracks are present in the game...not all of them. There's a big difference.
Eh really? I guess I missed that, where was this info posted.

Edit: I don't doubt you, I'm just a bit suprised.

Still sounds like BS. I know Divx is available for the GC. Interviews are low motion and you could definitely compress a 20 min. interview from a clean source down to 200 MB at good quality. I doubt the 20 mins. of video from MM8 would take up much more as animation compresses well too. So that'd be 400MB for video and 400MB for audio leaving you with 700MB for the ROMS.

WordofGod

Banned
dark10x said:
In MP3, just one game takes up about 60mb of space (judging from the 128kbps recording of Megaman 4 that I have on MP3, which are the arranged tracks from the PSX version). It is stated that MM1-7 include updated music, so 60mb * 7 games = 420mb of space required. Now, they have included 40 minutes of video (quality unknown), which is something that is likely to take up a lot of space AND you have to consider the space required for all of the other data (menus, games, MM8 itself, etc.). The music here is NOT chip music (though I suppose it COULD have been), so you'd need to store digital versions of them. A GC disc is 1.5gb IIRC (perhaps that is incorrect though) so 420mb would be NEARLY 1/3 of the disc.

So, when you sit down and think about it, I can see why they had issues fitting all of that content in the game. I'm sure there was leftover space, but there probably was not ENOUGH leftover space to fit all of the music tracks (consider just how many there are!).

If they are using divx for Video and MP3 files for audio there should be no reason they cannot fit everything on 1.5gigs of space. Didn't Angel Studios fit all of Resident Evil 2 (including video) on one N64 64 meg cart?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
NotMSRP said:
At the very least, GC version should have the Saturn MM8 version while the PS2 version has the PS1 version as compensation.

No, the Saturn version should have been in both games anyway.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
It likely isn't much...
Quick list of exclusive Saturn MM8 features...

-more sprite animation
-swirling water effects
-faster loading
-no slowdown
-Art Galleries (with both fan and offical Capcom illustrations)
-Video/Sound/Music tests
-Cut Man & Wood Man as hidden bosses

...not to mention the better controller. I'd say the Saturn version wins out by a significant margin, like most 2D Capcom games.... it's too bad Capcom decided to use the inferior PSX MM8.

etiolate

Banned
From Atomic Planet:

Unfortunately the remixed Navi Mode [in game] music is only available
on
the PS2 version of MMAC.

The secrets unlock on the NGC version contains some remixed tunes and a
Megaman featurette video.

The reason we couldn't put these Navi Mode music tracks on the NGC
version is due to the size restriction of the NGC media [1.35gb]
compared to the 4.3gb a PS2 DVD can hold.

I hope this doesn't put you off buying either version of MMAC. It's a
well put together title which controlled my life for over 6 months. :)

All the best

Regards

Barry Smith

I know the games couldn't have taken up that much space. Maybe the movies could have, but did you need 20 minutes of a featurette? Factor 5 managed to stick two Gamecube games on one disc and a video featurette.

WordofGod

Banned
etiolate said:
From Atomic Planet:

Unfortunately the remixed Navi Mode [in game] music is only available
on
the PS2 version of MMAC.

The secrets unlock on the NGC version contains some remixed tunes and a
Megaman featurette video.

The reason we couldn't put these Navi Mode music tracks on the NGC
version is due to the size restriction of the NGC media [1.35gb]
compared to the 4.3gb a PS2 DVD can hold.

I hope this doesn't put you off buying either version of MMAC. It's a
well put together title which controlled my life for over 6 months. :)

All the best

Regards

Barry Smith

To Barry Smith:

Didn't Angel Studios fit all of Resident Evil 2 (1.4 gigs) on one N64 64 meg cart?

dark10x

jarrod said:
Quick list of exclusive Saturn MM8 features...

-more sprite animation
-swirling water effects
-faster loading
-no slowdown
-Art Galleries (with both fan and offical Capcom illustrations)
-Video/Sound/Music tests
-Cut Man & Wood Man as hidden bosses

...not to mention the better controller. I'd say the Saturn version wins out by a significant margin, like most 2D Capcom games.... it's too bad Capcom decided to use the inferior PSX MM8.

Hmm, more than I thought (and more than MMX4). Are you actually suprised, though? I mean, you really don't even have to PORT MM8 PSX to the PS2 and it wouldn't be worth trying to port a Saturn game to those two systems.

If they are using divx for Video and MP3 files for audio there should be no reason they cannot fit everything on 1.5gigs of space. Didn't Angel Studios fit all of Resident Evil 2 (including video) on one N64 64 meg cart?

Stop. Now think about what you are saying. Yes, Angel Studios DID cram that much data onto a cart...but that was a more important project with a focus on compression. Go read the post-mortem at Gamasutra...very interesting. MMAC isn't as important of a project and is multiplatform. They COULD have fit it on the disc...but it would have taken much more effort to do so. You make it sound like it is a piece of cake...

Yeah, I'm not buying this "oh we didn't have enough space" bullshit. Decrease the encoding quality of that stupid featurette, and you could have a filesize of maybe 60-80 MB. Then you have Mega Man 8, and for the sake of argument, let's assume that took the whole CD-ROM, so 650 MB. We're up to 730 MB at most. Now, all the NES games might take a few megs for the ROMS, and maybe 512k or so for the emulator. Wow, we're pushing 740 MB right there. Now, you have another ~700 MB to work with. Let's say at 128k or 160k MP3's of the remixed soundtracks took approximately 60-70 MB for each game. So 6 games x 70 MB = 420 MB. We're at a grand total of 1160 MB. That's still maybe 150 MB of disc space to spare. FUCK YOU CAPCOM, I DON'T BUY YOUR BULLSHIT.

jarrod

Banned
GODs are actually 1.56 GB in capacity.

Also, ROM sizes for those wondering...

MegaMan~ 160 KB
MegaMan II~ 256 KB
MegaMan III~ 384 KB
MegaMan IV~ 512 KB
MegaMan V~ 512 KB
MegaMan VI~ 512 KB
MegaMan VII~ 2 MB
MegaMan VII~ 650 MB (max)
MegaMan: The Power Battle~ 10 MB
MegaMan: The Power Fighters~ 13.8 MB

They COULD have fit it on the disc...but it would have taken much more effort to do so. You make it sound like it is a piece of cake...

Honestly, how hard could it be? They have to compress the original video to MPEG2 for the PS2 anyway, so why not take the time to compress it to Divx for GC? And please do not tell me making 128kb MP3s is rocket science. I do both all the time. Shit they could've sent me the source files and I would've had it done within a day.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Hmm, more than I thought (and more than MMX4). Are you actually suprised, though? I mean, you really don't even have to PORT MM8 PSX to the PS2 and it wouldn't be worth trying to port a Saturn game to those two systems.
I understand the practicality issues, but with the GC release they could've gone with Saturn version with probably a similar level of effort anyway since GameCube doesn't have a ready PS1 chipset.

Ranger X

I really doubt it's because of the space. Video and re-arranged music aside, those games weight nothing.
I feel it's more a question of "we don't invest too much in a GC game". This is probably the real question. And it's happening with alot of games. You just can't invest as much money in a GC game when it just won't get even the tierce the sales of the PS2 version...
Consider the GC a gift. Why do you think there's less games coming out for the GC than the PS2 and just guess why do think many GC games get canned and that it will continue to get worse as times goes on?...

And if it happen that this later hypothesis is wrong then they just don't have no fucking reasons to cheap the GC version.

That's just the thing though... How much fucking money, honestly, would it have cost them to dump some MP3's on there and encoded that lame ass "documentary" in Factor 5's DivX?? Seriously, like dynamitejim said, it would have taken a few hours. Fucking liars.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
jarrod said:
GODs are actually 1.56 GB in capacity.

Also, ROM sizes for those wondering...

MegaMan~ 160 KB
MegaMan II~ 256 KB
MegaMan III~ 384 KB
MegaMan IV~ 512 KB
MegaMan V~ 512 KB
MegaMan VI~ 512 KB
MegaMan VII~ 2 MB
MegaMan VII~ 650 MB (max)
MegaMan: The Power Battle~ 10 MB
MegaMan: The Power Fighters~ 13.8 MB

678136 KB

FUCK YOU ATOMIC PLANET

NotMSRP

I wonder what was the focus of the six months of development time when you have the first eight games already done for the PS2 at the very start.

dark10x

Are they using those PSX games as a base by any chance?

Look at Megaman 1 on PSX. It doesn't include any new music at all, but comes in around 300mb.

I don't think using ROM sizes is a fair way to judge space requirements...

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
Are they using those PSX games as a base by any chance?

Look at Megaman 1 on PSX. It doesn't include any new music at all, but comes in around 300mb.

I don't think using ROM sizes is a fair way to judge space requirements...

298 MB were used for the NES emulator ;)

dark10x

olubode said:
298 MB were used for the NES emulator ;)

Joke if you must, but these games are not being run through a simple emulator...

I can't imagine why they would grow so much, but that's the problem...we don't know.

What are these Mega Man versions for the PSX that everyone keep talking about? I can't find a link to them anywhere. They're the NES games ported to the PSX, right? With remixed music? If they are, I'll just buy those.

dark10x

Error Macro said:
What are these Mega Man versions for the PSX that everyone keep talking about? I can't find a link to them anywhere. They're the NES games ported to the PSX, right? With remixed music? If they are, I'll just buy those.

They are very similar indeed. Each game was sold alone, I believe...but there is a pack for about $100 (at least it was).

rockmancollection.jpg

Why would you import those though? Why not just buy it for PS2 then (unless you don't own one for some reason)?

Hero

I hate Capcom. Seriously, the things that were left out probably could've been done within a week of development time. After all the delays it went through I can't believe they couldn't figure out some way to fit the music on there (like some people have suggested realistic methods here).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Error Macro said:
Hmm, yeah that's kind of steep, and no, I don't own a PS2. I'm thinking about it now, though.

Just get a ps2, its 150 now and you get the network adaptor and ATV2 with it.
I own all 3 systems, its just a nice feeling

MoxManiac

I hate Capcom. Seriously, the things that were left out probably could've been done within a week of development time. After all the delays it went through I can't believe they couldn't figure out some way to fit the music on there (like some people have suggested realistic methods here).

For the last time, the music is ALREADY on there, it just can't be used with navi mode to have the music during the game. Which makes this blunder even more retarded.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
MoxManiac said:
For the last time, the music is ALREADY on there, it just can't be used with navi mode to have the music during the game. Which makes this blunder even more retarded.

I was confused as well but our good friend from Atomic Planet (the creators of this comp.) illuminated the situation.

Barry Smith said:
The secrets unlock on the NGC version contains some remixed tunes and a Megaman featurette video.
It wouldn't make sense to simply enable a few random songs and the rest stay the same IMO. I would have done the same if I were given the option.

MoxManiac

Oh, so basically, only some of the remixed music is available in the sound test, thus they opted to not include it in-game since it wasn't all there. Hm, my bad.

jett

D-Member
About the Mega Man "anime" episode, is it from the american cartoon or what? I need some confirmation. :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Yeah for a while I was under the impression that all the remixed songs were available in the sound menu just not in Navi mode. The initial responses that were given weren't clear enough about it so I just assumed that they were using the "discs are too small" excuse to coverup their stupidity.

BUT I WAS WRONG!

Hero

MoxManiac said:

Multiple sources have said that not ALL the remixed tracks are on the GCN version.

dark10x

MoxManiac said:

As Hero has noted, several sources have noted that only a few select songs are available in sound test mode...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
MoxManiac said:
Sheesh, I'm like what, the fourth person so say this? WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO LEARN SON?

Top Bottom