• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man: Battle Network | OT | Don't be fooled by the chips I've got

maxcriden

headerqnjav.png

lnyKPWu.gif
nDcZGrO.png

Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom Production Studio 2
Console: Wii U GBA Virtual Console
Genre: Fictitious Internet Turn 'em Up
Price: $7.99 (US), £6.29/€6.99 (UK/EU)
Release Date: 7/31(US), 7/24 (UK/EU)
Download Size: TBD

v18TzfT.gif
nuEFxNs.png

Mega Man Battle Network is set in an ambiguous year in the 21st century ("20XX AD") in an alternate reality to the original Mega Man series. Within the world of Battle Network, the Net has become humanity's primary means of communication, commerce, and even crime. Users are able to "jack in" to the Net and other computerized devices, and explore their various aspects using program avatars called "NetNavis (Network Navigators)" as if they were physical locations. The Net and the inner workings of computers are displayed as a virtual world with which computer programs of all varieties, as personified in a humanoid form, can interact. Users often do so by accessing their NetNavis via a "PET (PErsonal information Terminal)" device. The plot of Mega Man Battle Network follows one such pair, Lan Hikari and his NetNavi MegaMan.EXE. Lan is a fifth grader in the town of ACDC. His father, Dr. Yuichiro Hikari, is one of the world's top scientists and NetNavi researchers. Not long into the story, Lan and MegaMan.EXE take it upon themselves to solve various criminal cases around ACDC involving other Navis and their operators. Some of the confrontations with the various criminals involve desperate, life-threatening situations including a bus rigged to explode, oxygen being cut off at a large party, the entire city's clean water freezing, and school students being re-educated as mindless slaves.

tWsaAx0.gif
sVb1fZJ.png

Mega Man Battle Network is a real-time tactical RPG. To progress through the game the player must alternately navigate the outside world as Lan Hikari and the Net as MegaMan.EXE, each containing certain tasks that must be completed to allow advancement in the other. Controlling Lan, the player may travel around the world map, interact with non-player characters, check email, purchase items, initiate Net missions, or speak with MegaMan.EXE through his PET.

In contrast with traditional Mega Man entries in which battle and movement through the levels happen in the same setting, Battle Network's combat occurs only through by battling computer viruses within the Net. This cyber world is represented by a series of branching pathways and nodes, where MegaMan.EXE can travel to both new and previously visited locations, find and purchase items, and fight viruses. Battles do not generally appear on the field screen of the Net but are usually set as random encounters.

The battlefield itself is made up of 18 tiles divided into two groups of nine, one group being space in which MegaMan.EXE may freely move and the other group being space inhabited by enemies.Akin to other Mega Man games, MegaMan.EXE possesses an arm cannon called the "Mega Buster". The player can transition among the nine provided tiles and fire the Mega Buster at enemies from across the screen. The objective of each battle is to delete all the viruses by reducing their hit points (HP) to zero. If MegaMan.EXE's own health depletes, a game over occurs. Certain power-up programs can be found that upgrade MegaMan.EXE's HP, defense, or Mega Buster power.

lnyKPWu.gif
WtiQUrY.png

yBFevhI.png
30Zfdbg.gif
ofb54hD.png

1pZB3Kq.png
eN7m4SN.png
eEG62GB.png

v18TzfT.gif
eYfxvA5.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeMF0L0Wlw

tWsaAx0.gif
CdOhxEk.png

Coming soon.

Original Metacritic page:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/game-boy-advance/mega-man-battle-network

--

Special thanks to kubus, who made the amazing banners for this thread!

ohlawd

EU FIRST.... AGAIN?

SMH.

Gonna boycott this

nah, my backlog's too big right now. I'll pick this up eventually.

daydream

Banned
Sweet OT!

The first BN is the only one I've spent any time with. I remember enjoying it immensely. Definitely in it for all the BN releases.

Don't forget about my GB MMs, though, Capcom! Europe is still waiting.

They're fun games; mindless and enjoyable. I remember really liking 2 and 3.

Wish we'd see more of these games. I even played the Starforce games on the DS, which were weren't nearly as good as the better BN games.

Great OT. I love this series so much. More so than the other ones which a lot of people will find shocking. I should replay the games again since I still own the physical copies.

I'm conflicted

I love this series, but 1 aged pretty bad. Then there's the "not too much money" issue. However I need this anyways D:

IrishNinja

oh man, i missed out on most of the GBA gen so this is my first seeing of this title, looks pretty cool though! was debating finally playing Legends sometime but maybe this would be better.

marvel8797

Neo Member
I'm conflicted

I love this series, but 1 aged pretty bad. Then there's the "not too much money" issue. However I need this anyways D:

my thoughts exactly. I loved this series, but I started with 2 and later found a copy of 1. wow that felt weird to go backwards. its a good game and i'll play it again, but I really hope 2 and 3 are following close after it...I can dream, cant I?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
oh man, i missed out on most of the GBA gen so this is my first seeing of this title, looks pretty cool though! was debating finally playing Legends sometime but maybe this would be better.
Same man, GBAVC has been great, catching up on great franchises I missed.

daydream

Banned
You had to Google my jam? dafaq?!?!

Jenny from the Block is a muhfuckin' classic.

Believe me when I say that I know the song quite well, lol. Just didn't think of it.

ohlawd pls, I couldn't pay attention to (English) lyrics back in '02. Way to make me feel old instead of celebrating MM. ;-;

ohlawd

Believe me when I say that I know the song quite well, lol. Just didn't think of it.

ohlawd pls, I couldn't pay attention to (English) lyrics back in '02. Way to make me feel old instead of celebrating MM. ;-;

my bad, boo. shiiiiet JLo was my queen growing up.

I didn't mean to make you feel old :(

The BN games were lowkey my favorite games on the gba. I would buy a 3ds/wii u rn if they made a battle network/network transmission sequel

I've never actually beat the MMBN (100% 4,5,6). I look forward to this release, I can finally be one step closer to 100% this amazing series.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
A lot and I mean a LOT of BN1 issues were cleared up in Operate Shooting Star. Too bad we didn't get it.

Edit:

Addition of cyberworld maps in the lower screen.
"Arranged" music. (Echoes were added to the original music tracks, nothing beyond that.)
Voice acting in some parts of the game.
New mugshots for the main characters.
A new area with a new boss: ClockMan.EXE.
Five new Battle Chips (SSRockman, ClockMan V1,V2,V3 and Burai), two new Program Advances (Double Hero 2 and Double Rockman), and changes to the attack value and letter codes of some Chips.
The invisible paths in ElecMan.EXE's scenario now have small dots that flash periodically.
The player now runs automatically, and holding the B button makes him walk normally.
The wood, aqua, and heat armors have been removed.
Like Mega Man Battle Network 2 and later games, players now have the option of fleeing battles by pressing L.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I never played any game from this (sub)series, so I'll definitely get this one today.

Edit:
Does the european price mean it'll be $8 or $10 in the US?

It's the normal price for GBA games, so it'll be the normal GBA price in the US, too (which is either $6.99 or $7.99, I think).

Item Box

Compared to the rest of the series, this one hasn't aged well at all. Would have been better if we got shooting star instead, but alas it's a ds game.

Original BN is still decent though

Huh, I've never played this series before. I might have to pick this up just to see what this is about.

Also, I'm now listening to Jenny From the Block on youtube... You did this to me, GAF.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
MMBN OT! Nice job. Picking this up day 1.

Top Bottom