• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man: Battle Network | OT | Don't be fooled by the chips I've got

Tom_Cody

I love 1 but 3 is definitely my favourite. Depending on when they're released, you might indeed be better off waiting for 3. The gameplay is has various improvements/polish and if you love 3 enough then you can play 2 and then 1. It's basically what I did back then, started with 3, then 2, then 1. 4, 5 and 6 I got when they released. What you'll miss I guess is some of the story but they do a good job of re-capping and easing newcomers in.
Cool. I have a huge backlog so I'll just wait for 3.

paolo11

I collected all the chips in Battle Network 1 because that was my only game before. It would be cool to collect all the chips from BN series but I have a lot of back log.

Ultratech

I collected all the chips in Battle Network 1 because that was my only game before. It would be cool to collect all the chips from BN series but I have a lot of back log.

Yeah, I tried to do that with MMBN2.
(Except there were a few that you could only get from battling other people, so I couldn't get those.)

I played the hell out of BN2 and got 4 out of the 5 possible stars.

NotBatman

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to replaying this, but will it be possible to 100% complete the first game by itself? I know in order to complete 2 and 3 (especially 3 since they released 2 versions with some different chips), you either had to battle a friend or have gameshark to get some secret chips.

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks like my question was answered while I was making the post.

What you'll miss I guess is some of the story but they do a good job of re-capping and easing newcomers in.

Well, there IS that one plot twist near the end of the game concerning the Hikari family that just wouldn't have the same impact later imo.

If people that have never played any of the games want to get into the series, personally, I'd recommend starting with 1 because going back to it after playing the rest of the series is hard.

Brakke

Banned
Incredible OP! I adore this series, not sure I have any interest in going back to the first though... Each of the first few games is strict improvement over the last. 4 is kind of a stinker, and I think I like 3 more than 5, but in any case: 1 is pretty boring by comparison to 2, 3, 5.

Good thing I still have these all in a box with an AGS-101 SP... maybe I'll just pull that out instead.

Apparently despite the press release saying it was the US version the European version was released instead.

What is the difference? There is an Ubisoft splash screen (they originally published the game).

wmlk

This game has the greatest battle system that I have played. Perfect combination of skill and strategy.
And please, don't skip on the first game. The series spans over several games and you'll love the characters by the end. I recommend playing the entire series.
Actually very jealous of those who get to try it out for the first time. There's a sense of nostalgia that I feel with these games that I don't even get for Pokémon. The MBN series is amazing.

SoulUnison

Banned
1 didn't age well. I can't play through it again because of how janky and unpolished it feels. 2 brought so many refinements and convenience improvements to the series that 1 feels almost antagonistic to play through.

2 and 3 are fantastic. I personally prefer 2 for music, scenario and post-game, but 3 isn't a slouch, at all.

4 is just bad. Just a complete slog of a game. I was the kind of kid that would play through anything, no matter how "bad," and enjoy it all the way through. I quit MMBN4 halfway into it.

5 is good. I have the DS version, which adds a lot of great stuff to the game and makes me sad that 6 never got a DS up-port. It's my go to game for a MMBN fix, but it might just be because playing a DS game is more convenient than finding a GBA game and one of my DSes that still has a Slot-2.

I've only played a bit of 6, because I kept holding out hope it'd make it to the DS like 5 did someday. Don't know how good it is, but I personally hated the Soul Unison being replaced by the Cross System. (I wonder why..?)

Jachaos

1 didn't age well. I can't play through it again because of how janky and unpolished it feels. 2 brought so many refinements and convenience improvements to the series that 1 feels almost antagonistic to play through.

2 and 3 are fantastic. I personally prefer 2 for music, scenario and post-game, but 3 isn't a slouch, at all.

4 is just bad. Just a complete slog of a game. I was the kind of kid that would play through anything, no matter how "bad," and enjoy it all the way through. I quit MMBN4 halfway into it.

5 is good. I have the DS version, which adds a lot of great stuff to the game and makes me sad that 6 never got a DS up-port. It's my go to game for a MMBN fix, but it might just be because playing a DS game is more convenient than finding a GBA game and one of my DSes that still has a Slot-2.

I've only played a bit of 6, because I kept holding out hope it'd make it to the DS like 5 did someday. Don't know how good it is, but I personally hated the Soul Unison being replaced by the Cross System. (I wonder why..?)

6 is good. I also love the 5 on DS as well. My favourite remains 3 though.

SkyOdin

What makes four so universally considered to be bad? Just curious.

First of all, Battle Network 4's plot consists almost solely of a series of tournament arcs, where which opponents you face in the tournaments was at least partially randomized. What these means is that about 80% of the plot consists of random episodic stories with no connection to each other or to the main plot.

Even worse, some of these random episodic stories grant you the Double Soul powers that make up a big part of the newly introduced game mechanics. While their appearances are not randomized, you have to play through the game three times to get all six Double Souls for your version. You can't even get all of the chips on your first playthrough! Enemies will only drop level 1 chips at first. When you clear the game and continue on a New Game+, all of the enemies in the game get upgraded and start dropping level 2 chips. So you need to clear the game in full three times just to have a chance at getting all of the Battlechips in the game and to finally unlock the proper post-game. As a result, the game is padded to the gills with filler content that you have to repeat several times.

I completely broke down and gave up on the game late on my second run, so I never even unlocked Proto-Soul, which was the main reason I chose the Red Sun version in the first place. Even if you look past the repetition and pointlessness of the main story, the core gameplay in 4 just doesn't feel as good as 2 or 3. Double Soul wasn't as good of a gameplay mechanic as the Style system it replaced, and the Dark Chips were more of a novelty. Also, the game's sprites were made smaller for some reason, so the game didn't even look as good as the previous entries in the series.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
What makes four so universally considered to be bad? Just curious.
The game is designed to be played three times to see and unlock everything in each version. Each time you beat the game, you start a new game plus that changes up the enemies, items found and in-game scenarios. When you beat the third cycle you go back to the first and so on. Apparently some powerups only appears during certain cycles, so if you miss one, you have to complete the game some more times to get it.
The story consists mostly of Netbattle tournaments in different countries, with some events happening between some fights. Haven't played 4 for many years but I remember nothing really happened until the very end.
And they changed the visual style, which some people doesn't like, I guess.

I don't think MMBN4 is a bad game myself, but I'd say it's the weakest one with MMBN5. (haven't played that in years either)

Edit: Wow, you couldn't get all the regular chips? Totally forgot.

I actually started with Battle Network 4, so I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm super excited for them all to be released! I loved 4,5, and 6.

maxcriden

First of all, Battle Network 4's plot consists almost solely of a series of tournament arcs, where which opponents you face in the tournaments was at least partially randomized. What these means is that about 80% of the plot consists of random episodic stories with no connection to each other or to the main plot.

Even worse, some of these random episodic stories grant you the Double Soul powers that make up a big part of the newly introduced game mechanics. While their appearances are not randomized, you have to play through the game three times to get all six Double Souls for your version. You can't even get all of the chips on your first playthrough! Enemies will only drop level 1 chips at first. When you clear the game and continue on a New Game+, all of the enemies in the game get upgraded and start dropping level 2 chips. So you need to clear the game in full three times just to have a chance at getting all of the Battlechips in the game and to finally unlock the proper post-game. As a result, the game is padded to the gills with filler content that you have to repeat several times.

I completely broke down and gave up on the game late on my second run, so I never even unlocked Proto-Soul, which was the main reason I chose the Red Sun version in the first place. Even if you look past the repetition and pointlessness of the main story, the core gameplay in 4 just doesn't feel as good as 2 or 3. Double Soul wasn't as good of a gameplay mechanic as the Style system it replaced, and the Dark Chips were more of a novelty. Also, the game's sprites were made smaller for some reason, so the game didn't even look as good as the previous entries in the series.

The game is designed to be played three times to see and unlock everything in each version. Each time you beat the game, you start a new game plus that changes up the enemies, items found and in-game scenarios. When you beat the third cycle you go back to the first and so on. Apparently some powerups only appears during certain cycles, so if you miss one, you have to complete the game some more times to get it.
The story consists mostly of Netbattle tournaments in different countries, with some events happening between some fights. Haven't played 4 for many years but I remember nothing really happened until the very end.
And they changed the visual style, which some people doesn't like, I guess.

I don't think MMBN4 is a bad game myself, but I'd say it's the weakest one with MMBN5. (haven't played that in years either)

Edit: Wow, you couldn't get all the regular chips? Totally forgot.

Thanks for the lowdown, guys! It'll definitely be the lowest priority MMBN entry for me to check out, based on what you're both saying. It sounds like an odd misfire for the series.

Was about to port beg for Vita and get banned lol Anyways gonna wait for MMBN 3.

For me its 6 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4 personally.

6 was the end and had the craziest stuff in terms of battle chips and program advances. Also the story wasn't half bad.

4 is the worst besides having to finish the game multiple times. The Dark Net was a huge pain in the butt and Bass was reduced to easy mode because how easy it was to get Program Advances in any batle after clearing the game 2 times and getting the right chips.

Yo Step-Cross advance and Dream Sword all day long.

Marow

Really looking forward to buying all these games. I had told myself not to buy anything from the Virtual Console on WIi U, but I will probably end up buying Battle Network either way. I've always wanted to play these titles properly, as the few times I've tried them (2, I think?) I fell in love.

On a sidenote, how is Star Force? It seems like the spiritual successor, but I barely hear anything about it (perhaps for a good reason?).

Azure J

3 > 6 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4

I think it's still the funniest thing ever that Capcom essentially predicted what smartphones would be like (minus the cool ass sentient avatar of your design running errands around the net) with this series.

@Robin64: Yeah it has all of the above and I'd say the MMBN redesign for Bass is one of the best classic series to BN transitions ever. The streamlining of character designs by the art team for the series really did him wonders.

Blues1990

So does this alternate world have its own versions of Light and Wily? How about Bass and Protoman?

Yep, but he is named Lord Wily in the Battle Network series. Like his Classic Series counterpart, he was a robotics expert that had a friendly rivalry with Dr. Tadashi Hikari (the Dr. Light of this series), who was heavily researching into computer mainframes & networking systems. Naturally, his research for robotics was pushed aside, when Hikari`s breakthrough of how networking systems could benefit peoples lives had won the backing of various government firms. Wily becomes envious, then starts a life of crime, etc. This is what he looked like:

WilyBN.png

As for Dr. Tadashi Hikari, he was pretty identical to his Classic Series counterpart, being a kind old man & having a brilliant mind. However, he had never lived long enough to see his grandchildren, but has made a couple of appearances as a hologram in MMBN3, expressing his personal regrets while talking to Lan.

TadashiHikari.png

Saro

Any chance the US ver. will get the non gimped versions of the BN games?
Many times during the gba days I would see FAQs talking about a gospel PA or the
many things taken out of BN6.

Oh and would there be any way to emulate multiplayer? Battle Network's multiplayer was so good. It had deep mechanics which almost remind me of the complexity found in Pokemon multiplayer battles and it could be completely broken and chaotic when using certain chip strategies.

God I love Battle Network :)

Edit: I didn't know where to ask these questions. If it's too much I'll remove the post.

Excited and not excited all at the same time because the multiplayer will be absent (I'm assuming). I owe one of my best, longest lasting friendships to BN3's multiplayer.

Good times.

SkyOdin

On a sidenote, how is Star Force? It seems like the spiritual successor, but I barely hear anything about it (perhaps for a good reason?).

I for one liked the Star Force games. I would say that Star Force 1 is on par with Battle Network 2 and 3. It does have a somewhat simplified battle system, so a fair number of Battle network fans didn't like it, but I think it is still plenty fun. However, Star Force 2 was a pretty darn flawed game, and it hurt the series' momentum pretty badly. Star Force 3 is definitely a big improvement over 2, even though I don't think its story is as good as Star Force 1's story.

For the most part though, if you liked the Battle Network games, you will feel at home playing the Star Force games. They really are direct successors.

Oh, an OT. I've been following the series since BN4. BN6 was the first game I actually bought and I liked it. Lots of potential.
I'm in the minority here but BN4 was pretty good. It had the best multiplayer execution. Battle your friend's version's Navi in a free tournament and they fight like them! Battle a boss on every map on the Net - even the opposite versions! Fight the opposite version's Navi in the tournaments! It's the most complete game.

Don't praise BN3 too much. The opposite, physical version is absolutely REQUIRED if you want to finish all the single player portion of the game unlike any other game before or after it. And Press, lol.

Any chance the US ver. will get the non gimped versions of the BN games?
Many times during the gba days I would see FAQs talking about a gospel PA or the
many things taken out of BN6.

Considering that stuff like the Gospel chips were only available at events or with Gameshark, and that the BN6 stuff was outright removed from the code, 0. Nada. 0% of a chance.

Was about to port beg for Vita and get banned lol Anyways gonna wait for MMBN 3.

For me its 6 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4 personally.

6 was the end and had the craziest stuff in terms of battle chips and program advances. Also the story wasn't half bad.

4 is the worst besides having to finish the game multiple times. The Dark Net was a huge pain in the butt and Bass was reduced to easy mode because how easy it was to get Program Advances in any batle after clearing the game 2 times and getting the right chips.

Yo Step-Cross advance and Dream Sword all day long.

your order is my order

i'll pick this up eventually, BN is a great series

Oh, an OT. I've been following the series since BN4. BN6 was the first game I actually bought and I liked it. Lots of potential.
I'm in the minority here but BN4 was pretty good. It had the best multiplayer execution. Battle your friend's version's Navi in a free tournament and they fight like them! Battle a boss on every map on the Net - even the opposite versions! Fight the opposite version's Navi in the tournaments! It's the most complete game.

This is why I can't hate on 4 despite all of its flaws

Rnr1224

I started with 3 and played everyone since. I have played a little of 2 on an emulator on my phone, but the game is so much harder with touch screen controls. Hopefully that'll come to the eshop soon as well

Blues1990

I was able to purchase the game this morning, and I was able to defeat Number Man.EXE. The game's battle system is still rock solid, even after all these years.

trixx

3 > 6 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4

I think it's still the funniest thing ever that Capcom essentially predicted what smartphones would be like (minus the cool ass sentient avatar of your design running errands around the net) with this series.

@Robin64: Yeah it has all of the above and I'd say the MMBN redesign for Bass is one of the best classic series to BN transitions ever. The streamlining of character designs by the art team for the series really did him wonders.
I think this is how I'd rank the series as well

Jachaos

I like 4 because Roll. I still never was able to fight Glide though, and it still results in sleep loss to this day.

It's my least favourite MMBN, but at least there was Roll and some neat stuff around multiplayer tournaments like mentioned.

bndadm

So I want to get into this series and will be picking up one, but I have a lot of questions down the road about 3-6 due to the two releases of each.

Is it like Pokemon where you have to trade to get exclusive chips and such? Or is it only story differences? Honestly I hate it when they release two versions of one game, my OCD can't take it.

Brakke

Banned
I vaguely remember chip differences but its not a big deal.

Four and especially five have huge version differences. Your version determines enemy and ally (and therefore transformation) Navis.

The DS version of 5 includes both sets.

bndadm

I vaguely remember chip differences but its not a big deal.

Four and especially five have huge version differences. Your version determines enemy and ally (and therefore transformation) Navis.

The DS version of 5 includes both sets.

Ugh, thanks. Sounds like I'll end up buying both and just playing both of them.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll rebuy this series, even if I still own the original copies.

I love the BN series. Came out when I was Lan's age too I think so it was perfect timing as lol

Speaking of 4, while it was awful with its story and how to master it, it was amazing for multiplayer. A real step up on when the game considered balancing things better.

Also, MMBN1 has too much nostalgia for me. I could never hate its story and its ending. Biggest flaw is the net though and balance.

I've loved the Mega Man series since forever, and somehow this is pretty much the only spinoff that I've missed. I did play the GCN game, Network Transmission, which I know is completely different (that game has awesome music btw). I'd like to try this out. Any news on a US date?

maxcriden

I've loved the Mega Man series since forever, and somehow this is pretty much the only spinoff that I've missed. I did play the GCN game, Network Transmission, which I know is completely different (that game has awesome music btw). I'd like to try this out. Any news on a US date?

Yesterday! Go for it. I'd be glad to hear your impressions. :)

Top Bottom