• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man: Battle Network | OT | Don't be fooled by the chips I've got

A lot and I mean a LOT of BN1 issues were cleared up in Operate Shooting Star. Too bad we didn't get it.

Edit:

Sure, OSS fixed the biggest issue by having maps, but it also had its own share of issues. It was lazy and the biggest shameless cashgrab of the franchise and that's saying a lot. The extra scenario wasn't anything special at all, it was too short, and happened way too late in the game which wouldn't be such a bad thing if beating it wasn't how you gained access to SS Rockman which was one of the main selling points. By the time you get access to him there's only 1 scenario left in the game without counting the postgame. Speaking of SS Rockman, he made EXE completely irrelevant, there is no reason at all to not use SS Rockman. The best part of the extra scenario is the Rockman vs Rockman boss battle, and they don't even let you repeat that :|

It might make the first game obsolete, but it's still an awful game when you consider that you can get 90% the same experience with the GBA game already. Hell, it's also to blame for the death of the portable RPG Megaman series so there's that too.

OSS was just such a huge, HUGE wasted potential

Thoraxes

The MMBN series is one of my favorite RPGs. They just sucked me in so good and everything about them is just great. Awesome music, awesome battle system and customization, and addictive gameplay. I'm really waiting for 3, but i'll definitely get 1 and 2 to pass the time.

I need a NetNavi in my phone now so I can jack in to any port and kill some virus... *shrugs*

There were these LED toys back when the show was around that had you feed it battlechips and "fight" virus.

I'd kill for an actual mobile game. Let us make our own Navi with a ton of presets, then use chips to bust virus. Seems like it'd be perfect for this whole "F2P" market.

ChrisD

Do we know for sure if all of the games will eventually hit? You have no idea how giddy I'm getting just thinking about having 5 and 6 on the big screen with that smoothing.

It's really hard looking at the first game. The UI is so bad.

I wonder how well it holds up, only ever played through it the one time as opposed to every other BN release.

kubus

There were these LED toys back when the show was around that had you feed it battlechips and "fight" virus.

I'd kill for an actual mobile game. Let us make our own Navi with a ton of presets, then use chips to bust virus. Seems like it'd be perfect for this whole "F2P" market.
I'll admit that I actually collected these. They were so awesome! I'm pretty sure I still have them lying around somewhere. Some of the later models actually had a small RPG built inside them so you could actually explore the net and do battles using the battle chips that came with them. I remember the first PET model having a real "jack in" cord that used magnets so you could actually attach it to stuff. Oh man I'm having a nostalgic rush here haha.

X9bEkjI.jpg
(Not my pic)
Just look at how cool these things were! I gotta dig out mine..

I'll admit that I actually collected these. They were so awesome! I'm pretty sure I still have them lying around somewhere. Some of the later models actually had a small RPG built inside them so you could actually explore the net and do battles using the battle chips that came with them. I remember the first PET model having a real "jack in" cord that used magnets so you could actually attach it to stuff. Oh man I'm having a nostalgic rush here haha.

(Not my pic)
Just look at how cool these things were! I gotta dig out mine..

Not lying, I've been watching ebay auctions lately for them. I've wanted one since I was a kid!

kubus

Not lying, I've been watching ebay auctions lately for them. I've wanted one since I was a kid!
Haha I was also just checking eBay to see how much the original PET model goes for today... I was stupid enough to give mine away to a friend back then :(. I regretted it immediately but I couldn't ask her to return it because she was so happy with it.

The concept of NetNavis and PETs was really awesome back in the day but with the rise of smartphones and mobile games right now, it does seem stupid for Capcom to not release an app or F2P game or something. I hate F2p games and even if they made one there's zero chance in hell it would get localized but I just wanna see the resurrection of the .EXE series :(. These VC releases are at least a step in the right direction but I just don't trust Capcom lol. They will crush our hopes eventually.

Forgot about this series, I used to love it as a kid. The battle system was pretty unique, I haven't seen any game try to copy it.

Fandangox

Imagine what could be done with a Battle Network 7 with Online features, co-op modes, actual social interaction (in-game boards are actual boards, maybe miiverse)

capcom pls

Saro

Imagine what could be done with a Battle Network 7 with Online features, co-op modes, actual social interaction (in-game boards are actual boards, maybe miiverse)

capcom pls

Oh sweet lord! I want this so bad. If they keep the cross system from BN6 I would die happy.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Just release 3 and 5 already!
Hey! I see 3 and 5 as the definitive Battle Network games.
They just so happen to be the only two I played.
I logged 300 hours on Mega Man Battle Network 5 Double Team DS (love the full title), playing it in class and at restaurants, and way past my bedtime.

wwm0nkey

tumblr_mtt43pdGxO1qhhv13o2_500.jpg

Man I wish they had brought over the other PETs too :(

The feels man, had all the PETs and the manga as well as some figures too :(

Hell I remember having to buy some random pants at Kohls or Macy's as a kid because they randomly had PET chips with them and I had to hunt for the PET itself lol

Would still kill a man for a PET flip phone.

kubus

Aw man I didn't know this about the MMBN2 and 3 VC release :(

Capcom Unity said:
GBA games are a relatively new addition to the Wii U eShop. Happy to say Capcom has a lot to add to this service, including Mega Man Zero, Battle Network and Battle Chip Challenge. Zero 2 and Battle Network 2+3 are also planned, but they're a bit further out. While they may not make 2014, we thought you'd like to know they're in the works.
Looks like it's gonna take a while before we're going to see the sequels. I've never played any of the other MMBNs except 1 and the Star Force Series so I was looking forward to them.

Oh well, that leaves enough time to fix some stoves and power plants...

test_account

XP-39C²
I really enjoyed the first game on GBA, and i also beat it. For some reason (most likely due to lazyness and lack of motivation), i never really bothered with the other games in the serie. I do own all of the GBA games for collection purpose though, and i have one of the DS games as well.

wwm0nkey

I really enjoyed the first game on GBA, and i also beat it. For some reason (most likely due to lazyness and lack of motivation), i never really bothered with the other games in the serie. I do own all of the GBA games for collection purpose though, and i have one of the DS games as well.

3 is imo the best out of the series, I still need to try 6 though. The post-game content is insane too.

Rnr1224

Like everyone else, I loved these games as a kid. And I wish i could find more of the official artwork for the first 3 games. The designs are too good!

test_account

XP-39C²
3 is imo the best out of the series, I still need to try 6 though. The post-game content is insane too.
Kinda a funny coincidence, i checked my GBA copies now, and out of the US versions, every game is sealed except for Battle Network 3, both the White and Blue version hehe. I think i remember that i opened them back in the days just to try them out. I do have some opened copies as well though, but not of all of them i think.

What do you mean with post-game content by the way? Does it unlock more content after beating the game? I cant remember anything specific in the first one, or are you talking about the 3rd game?

PsionBolt

Man, I haven't gone back to BN1 in so long. I felt like replaying one of these recently, but I chose 4 Blue.

How do you level up?

It's all item-based. You acquire better chips by fighting enemies well or by buying them. You find PowerUps (which you can apply to your stats in the menu) and find or buy HP increases.

I would have gone with something along the lines of "Chip on my shoulder" for the |OT| subtitle.

What is the reason this can't be on 3DS? I'd probably get it at some point if it were on 3DS...
Oh no not this can of worms (it tends to send threads to bad places :( ). Nobody knows for sure but it is likely to do with the following.

Basically the ambassador games work using a sort of GBA BIOS which is a modified version the DS compatibility mode of the 3DS. As such this does not have access to various functions like save states, and manual of any kind, entering sleep mode by closing the lid (instead you have to activate it in a supported game) and for that reason is not a product Nintendo want to charge money for (though I don't think sleep mode not working is something a lot check could fail on otherwise Blazblue 3DS should be taken off the shelves).

As for emulation, beats me but consider that M2 (who are handling these GBA games on the Wii U) had difficulties emulating the Mega Drive on the 3DS (though they were trying to run these in 120fps) it means GBA emulation might be difficult to achieve from a power perspective. Before anyone says bu bu PSP, my experience (with FFVA) those frameskip like mad even on the fastest clock speed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
EU FIRST.... AGAIN?

SMH.

Gonna boycott this

nah, my backlog's too big right now. I'll pick this up eventually.

Don't you guys have the GB Mega Man games on the 3DS virtual console while we have to wait until August?

What is the reason this can't be on 3DS? I'd probably get it at some point if it were on 3DS...

This question has been answered many times.

Oh no not this can of worms (it tends to send threads to bad places :( ). Nobody knows for sure but it is likely to do with the following.

Basically the ambassador games work using a sort of GBA BIOS which is a modified version the DS compatibility mode of the 3DS. As such this does not have access to various functions like save states, and manual of any kind, entering sleep mode by closing the lid (instead you have to activate it in a supported game) and for that reason is not a product Nintendo want to charge money for (though I don't think sleep mode not working is something a lot check could fail on otherwise Blazblue 3DS should be taken off the shelves).

As for emulation, beats me but consider that M2 (who are handling these GBA games on the Wii U) had difficulties emulating the Mega Drive on the 3DS (though they were trying to run these in 120fps) it means GBA emulation might be difficult to achieve from a power perspective. Before anyone says bu bu PSP, my experience (with FFVA) those frameskip like mad even on the fastest clock speed.

Not to mention that the 3DS successor is going to be absorbing the Wii U architecture so there's no point in wasting money getting them to run on the 3DS architecture when it isn't going to stick around.

QrPiFjo.gif

Those games were my childhood along with Advance Wars, Golden Sun and Fire Emblem. I wish it was coming to 3DS too (don't have a Wii U). One of the most entertaining combat systems in a game ever.

I still have my original cartridges from part 1 to 6, plus my transparent purple GBA that barely works anymore (the triggers are gone and the B button is mashed in...).

ZeroAKA

One of my biggest gaming regrets is losing my first DS along with my MMBN3 cart. I think it might have been stolen. :(

Hollycat

Easily some of the best games GBA has to offer, it makes me sad to think about the fact the whole series has been canned.

PseudoViper

F*k up Capcom! - but I'm still buying this :D

Seriously... I want another MMBN not that BS StarForce crap that they tried to pull. An MMO MMBN would be sweet.

khaaan

I played this game well after its prime but I really enjoyed it, same goes for the show. Hopefully NoA can step it up and get it out soon, I'm already annoyed that we haven't gotten Pokemon TGC yet.

Capra

tumblr_mtt43pdGxO1qhhv13o2_500.jpg

Man I wish they had brought over the other PETs too :(

Oh man, young me would've killed to get his hands on that Bass PET... As nonsensical as it is.

Real talk: Battle Network was one of the best things to come out of the Mega Man series in terms of design. Mega Man's design is sleek, and almost all of the robot masters' .EXE counterparts remain faithful to the original designs while updating them. They're pretty much all great, from what i can remember. They somehow managed to turn Bass into a badass... BASS, of all things!

It's also nice to see how we seem to be past the "bashing Battle Network" phase. I remember there used to be a huge backlash from Mega Man fans because of how much Capcpom milked BN for yearly installments... But the original trilogy is pretty damn good.

Tom_Cody

I was an active GBA gamer back in the day but I never got around to these.

I've heard the sequels are better; should I wait for 2/3? Will I miss anything if I don't play the first?

maxcriden

I was an active GBA game back in the day but I never got around to these.

I've heard the sequels are better; should I want for 2/3 or will I miss anything if I don't play 1 first?

You were a GBA game? o_O

I can't find you on Metacritic or anything...did you go by a different name back then or something?

Jachaos

One of my favourite series of all time. Absolutely love the games and I also had those PETs and some battlechips (Sword, Spreader and WideSword).

I was an active GBA game back in the day but I never got around to these.

I've heard the sequels are better; should I want for 2/3 or will I miss anything if I don't play 1 first?

I love 1 but 3 is definitely my favourite. Depending on when they're released, you might indeed be better off waiting for 3. The gameplay is has various improvements/polish and if you love 3 enough then you can play 2 and then 1. It's basically what I did back then, started with 3, then 2, then 1. 4, 5 and 6 I got when they released. What you'll miss I guess is some of the story but they do a good job of re-capping and easing newcomers in.

Top Bottom