• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Greenhowse, that is an awesome piece of artwork you shared and I love it.

I love Mega Man 2 as well, but that Crash Bomb boss is stupid as hell.

I still stand by the fact that the best part of MHX is Vile Mode. I just don't really like the X mode in that game because it feels completely weird to me. I'm very picky about the overall feel of stuff like this, and that just doesn't give me the proper feel of Mega Man X at all. I don't like the resolution either.

I always struggle fighting Quick and Crash Man with buster only. Then again I've been attempting it in Difficult Mode.
You're too slow. Step it up, son. Naaaah, just kidding. It takes practice, like every other MM game. You can do it!

MM4's out for 3DS on Thursday, huh? Hm. Would be a nice present to myself, but I've come to prefer the Complete Works version of it just for the remixes alone.

Still gonna go forward on that X4 Zero barebones run, btw. Exams have kept me too busy to continue on with it, but as soon as they are done, I'm gonna see if I can finish it off.

SkyOdin

It's not even because it is hard, because it really isn't, it's because of the whole "either you have full Crash Bombs and never miss, or you're screwed and now you have to farm an entire bar's worth of weapon energy on Sniper Joes riding big mechas" :|
I found it easier to farm the regenerating enemies from the moving platform segments of that stage. But yeah, that is the worst fortress boss in the franchise.

I always struggle fighting Quick and Crash Man with buster only. Then again I've been attempting it in Difficult Mode.
If you are having trouble taking on Classic Mega Man bosses buster-only, I would suggest watching some of Roahm Mythril's Mega Man Perfect Run videos on youtube. The guy has recorded Perfect Runs of every Robot Master stage from MM 1-10, plus Mega Man & Bass and Gameboy Mega Man V. A perfect run being a go where he beats an entire stage using nothing but uncharged buster shots while taking no damage whatsoever, and he keeps up a live commentary as he goes. I learned quite a bit on how to step up my Mega Man skills from those videos. He covers a lot of trivia too, such as the names of all the regular enemies.

I believe that Quick Man reigns as the absolute hardest stage/boss combo to perfect run.

Videoneon

I've never done a perfect run on Quick Man or its Doc Robot, but I imagine they're both pretty miserable. At least with the Doc Robot fight the room is flat so you don't have obstructions in the way. I...want to say that Doc Robot is slightly slower too, but I can't remember. I beat MM3 a couple weeks ago too =\

As for Quick Man, if all you want is to kill him then he's super easy because you can just mash. The damage he takes is going to outpace anything he does to you, IIRC he doesn't exactly do a lot of damage but runs and throws boomerangs over the place. On NA-Difficult/Normal he takes two points of damage from buster shots and after he's done shooting boomerangs and starts running into a wall you have a sort of opening there. The sound of a perfect run of his fight is painful, but I'll go for it later. Crash Man is indeed easy though. I actually still struggle to get the spacing for dodging Wood Man's Leaf Shield right, and that Crash Bomber boss is indeed terrible. Speaking of terrible bosses, just beat the 4th world boss in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon...ugh.

I actually beat X4 with X and Zero recently, off of the Anniversary Collection. I'll go for another run with both to really test things out, I was just messing around and using weaknesses and such then. That Sigma head fight is really annoying.

I wouldn't mind another Command Mission, actually.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the Crash Bomb boss in 2 can be killed with only 5(6?) shots. Maybe I'm just getting confused by those walls.

I'm eager to pick up MM5 on the eshop, but I have a vanilla 3DS and the screenshots of the NES VC games seem so small compared to playing the PS1 versions on PSP. It's just that they've never bothered bringing 5 to the states...

Wow, this emulator rules. Jcpsp can go play Ghost and Goblins for all I care.

Wow, what is this on, the PPSSPP emu?

Kokonoe

Banned
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the Crash Bomb boss in 2 can be killed with only 5(6?) shots. Maybe I'm just getting confused by those walls.

I'm eager to pick up MM5 on the eshop, but I have a vanilla 3DS and the screenshots of the NES VC games seem so small compared to playing the PS1 versions on PSP. It's just that they've never bothered bringing 5 to the states...

Yep, the emulator of heavens. (although without sound on Maverick Hunter)

I just run youtube for the OST of Mega Man Maverick Hunter X.

IIRC the crash bomb boss requires exactly the amount of shots you can get from a full energy weapon (6-7 I believe). That's what makes me dislike the fight if you fail you have to stop and grind up w energy for 5 minutes to even be able to attempt it again

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I always used to spend a life taking out the Crash Bomb Boss. First destroy all the walls (as they stay destroyed even when you fail), and then grind for full energy to kill him on the next life.

Anyways, can't believe there is no 2D Mega Man for the 3DS yet. Just reuse some sprites, give us new stages and bosses, and I would be good with both a classic, X, Zero, ZX or new style of game. Come on Capcom!

SkyOdin

I am still holding out hope for a third Mega Man ZX game. The ZX Advent ending left way too much unresolved for me to be happy. I really liked the setting too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So am I. I was thinking of replaying that as soon as I can. I remember liking it quite a bit.

I wanted to crosspost something from the Sonic thread and the Pokecapn/LP thread:

Bean has a channel mostly dedicated to Mega Man playthroughs and music, but he likes to dabble in Mario and Sonic every now and then. In the past, he’s done many thorough annotated playthroughs, but lately he’s begun to take to the microphone and put his voice to the test to supplement his playthroughs. I personally like both of his approaches, and I think he’s incredibly informative, a good writer, and a good speaker. These three aspects are generally the characteristics I look for in a video playthrough.

He’s been doing these informative playthroughs since 2008, combining his strengths as a writer and his wit into one playthrough or a single segment run. The majority of his playthrough videos are relegated to annotations and essentially act as “FAQs in motion”, but they’re very fun to watch, and it’s amazing seeing someone play a game as well as he does. He’s begun to do a few playthrough videos where he provides voiced commentary over his playthrough videos, and I think they do a good job at describing what he’s doing in a game and why he’s doing it in order to provide a skilled and thorough playthrough. Recently, through practice, he’s gotten a lot better at voicing over his playthroughs fluidly, confidently, and saliently. A good sample of his playthroughs include:

This week, he has begun to post a Mega Man & Bass (Rockman & Forte) playthrough, and will continue to do so for the next few weeks in three different parts:
  • Episodes 1 - 13 as Mega Man with the SFC version (text commentary, and you will be able to vote for the stages he plays next in the comments; potentially buster-only boss fights)
  • Episodes 1B - 13B as Bass with the GBA version (voiced commentary)
  • Episodes 1C – 9C: 100% CD run with the GBA version (sparse text commentary)
I’m quite excited to see how these videos turn out, and so should you! So, check these videos out, and give him a chance!

I think they came out very well. qq (and probably Kokonoe) will probably be floored that Bean's gotten way better at the Mega Man + Bass runs. (Also, pssst, he also reads this thread so any feedback is appreciated.)

His playstyle's different from GAF's own Noi's playthroughs, GAF's own Hitokage because holy crap and HideofBeast, and I like seeing different people show off different ways of playing through the games. Everyone's playstyle is different, after all.

You know what? If anyone can link to some cool MM playthroughs in this thread, that'd be neat. I like learning from different people and incorporating what they do into my own playstyle.

SkyOdin

I'm kind of surprised those videos are still up. I tried putting them on youtube but the conversion wasn't too good.

I don't think your videos are working. I clicked on a bunch of the links, but I am getting either 404s or videos that don't load properly. I might be missing a plug-in, but some of the videos might not work anymore.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't think your videos are working. I clicked on a bunch of the links, but I am getting either 404s or videos that don't load properly. I might be missing a plug-in, but some of the videos might not work anymore.
Heh, maybe they're in cache limbo as I thought I cleaned out the folder those files are in, but they ARE in a weird format (blame ZSNES*). Should still work on current third-party video players if you have the file, though.

*I own multiple physical copies of these games, but not as much in the way of recording equipment.

Kokonoe

Banned
Mega Man is dumb. In Mega Man 10 Wily has the flu, Bass leaves him there after beating him and Mega Man saves him by taking him to the hospital.
Wily has tried to kill Mega Man and his friends/family 10 times at least, tried to enslave the world and has caused tons of destruction and he just takes him to the hospital? Who would even accept him for hospitalization?

Least X will fire away at Sigma when it's needed.

CorvoSol

What's more puzzling was that Mega Man was about to shoot Wily in 7.

That scene was awesome, but the most mindblowing scene in Megaman for me was X saying "Damn" at the end of X3. SO EDGY FOR A 12 YEAR OLD.

Oh and also how it said
X would have to kill Zero.

Now, though, the best reveals for me are
finding out that X is the villain in Zero 1, and then finding out that Zero is Omega in Zero 3.

qq more

That scene was awesome

Well I mean the scene itself is great, Mega Man had a good reason to be pissed off... but then 10 happened: "oh no you're sick!". I think I misworded my message hahaha.

Now, though, the best reveals for me are
finding out that X is the villain in Zero 1, and then finding out that Zero is Omega in Zero 3.
I agree, especially the latter. Holy shit that blew my mind.

CorvoSol

Well I mean the scene itself is great, Mega Man had a good reason to be pissed off... but then 10 happened: "oh no you're sick!". I think I misworded my message hahaha.

I agree, especially the latter. Holy shit that blew my mind.

The craziest part of it all, though, is that what happened in Mega Man 7 kinda happens again in Mega Man 4.
Dr. Light's robot finally snaps and tells Dr. Wily he can take his 3 Laws and shove 'em up his nose 'cuz he's more than a robot. Then Dr. Wily's robot snaps and tells Dr. Weil he can take his "hero" nonsense and shove it up his nose 'cuz he never claimed to be a hero.

#Wilywasright.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been trophy hunting in Mega Man 10 lately. Recently did a no-death run + buster-only Wily Castle (even with Noi's insistence that I do a Mr. Perfect run and to that I say, "nooooooo") and I'm still planning on playing more of it while I do this Sonic CD 100% run.

After a few runs of MM10, I went back to Mega Man 9, and I love Mega Man 9, but uh...

Uh. Oh man, Mega Man 10 was a step up from Mega Man 9 in a lot of ways outside of the weapons (because MM9 probably has the best weapons in the classic series, imo). MM9 just feels outright weird in some ways (specifically the level design in the Wily levels). I know I said before that MM9 seemed like it took after MM1 and MM2 and that fans of MM3 and MM4 would like MM10 a little better, but I like 2, 3, 4, and 5 a lot, and I just can't help but to feel that 10 excelled in some areas like level design, enemy placement, etc. over MM9.

I love both games, but I do feel that I have to start giving the edge to MM10. Lightning Lord, qq more, Noi, and a few other people had exclaimed that I'd finally seen the light earlier on, lol.

CorvoSol

Speaking of MM9, shameful confession: I can't beat that game. I can barely ever beat the first level in Wily's castle. I get to the part with the cement blocks and pretty much lose all my lives unless I stock up on them at the spawning robot screen, and by then I lose patience.

Noi

I love 1 and 2 more than the rest of the series and I still think MM9's Wily stages are garbage. The normal stages are alright though, Plug (I hope you enjoy infinite respawning enemies) and Jewel (PITS AND SPIKES EVERYWHERE) Man's aside.

qq more

It's okay... MM9's Wily stages are poorly designed bullshit anyways. I could go rant how bad they are but I'll save that for another day unless you're all interested. ...Though I should replay MM9 before making the rant to see how it holds up.

I've been trophy hunting in Mega Man 10 lately. Recently did a no-death run + buster-only Wily Castle (even with Noi's insistence that I do a Mr. Perfect run and to that I say, "nooooooo") and I'm still planning on playing more of it while I do this Sonic CD 100% run.

After a few runs of MM10, I went back to Mega Man 9, and I love Mega Man 9, but uh...

Uh. Oh man, Mega Man 10 was a step up from Mega Man 9 in a lot of ways outside of the weapons (because MM9 probably has the best weapons in the classic series, imo). MM9 just feels outright weird in some ways (specifically the level design in the Wily levels). I know I said before that MM9 seemed like it took after MM1 and MM2 and that fans of MM3 and MM4 would like MM10 a little better, but I like 2, 3, 4, and 5 a lot, and I just can't help but to feel that 10 excelled in some areas like level design, enemy placement, etc. over MM9.

I love both games, but I do feel that I have to start giving the edge to MM10. Lightning Lord, qq more, Noi, and a few other people had exclaimed that I'd finally seen the light earlier on, lol.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the subject of 9 vs 10 other than 9's weapons being the best ever in any of the sidescrolling series, but I definitely think 10 is underrated too much due to being in 9's shadow.

Anyways, if we're talking favorite reveals, my choice would have to be that one twist at the end of Battle Network 1. I'm not exactly sure why I'm so fond of it, but I am.

I think Wily 1 is okay in Mega Man 9. I love how many of the special weapons can effectively see use there: (Jewel Satellite to make the very first section easy, Tornado Blow for the platforms, Laser Trident for the big enemies with shields, Black Hole Bomb for the Flame Dragon...) Every stage after is pretty cheap, though. At least all 4 stages had some nice music.

As far as crazy twists/surprises go, I'm quite fond of everything that transpires in the last few stages & boss fights in X5. Shadow Devil in particular was a holy shit moment for me at the time.

Noi

I think Wily 1 is okay in Mega Man 9. I love how many of the special weapons can effectively see use there: (Jewel Satellite to make the very first section easy, Tornado Blow for the platforms, Laser Trident for the big enemies with shields, Black Hole Bomb for the Flame Dragon...) Every stage after is pretty cheap, though. At least all 4 stages had some nice music.

I may be wrong here, but was there any indication prior to Wily 1 about having to use concrete shot on the lava beams? That's really my only beef with the stage, as it's still really easy to die by accident even fully knowing how to get through. I know most people just gamble with the coil to make up without even knowing you can cement the beams.

I may be wrong here, but was there any indication prior to Wily 1 about having to use concrete shot on the lava beams? That's really my only beef with the stage, as it's still really easy to die by accident even fully knowing how to get through. I know most people just gamble with the coil to make up without even knowing you can cement the beams.

IIRC you could do something similar in Magma Man's stage.

IIRC, there's no indication that you can use C. Shot at all, even in Magma Man's stage, where they're more prominent. That one section of the level is definitely bullshit, since there's really little room for error if you use Rush Coil.

I should really start MM10 sometime soon.

Noi

IIRC you could do something similar in Magma Man's stage.

Yeah, I remembered the beams in magma man's stage right as I typed that. Still, you're just as likely to run past those beams than try to freeze them, especially if you think of them as beams like in Quick Man's stage. I don't think it's very well thought out.

qq more

I don't believe there was any indication. It sounded like something you had to figure out entirely on your own... which is really entirely stupid given the situation. Just as annoying as the stupid crash bomb wall boss from MM2.

Well, it's not like any time you've been able to do that before (Ice Slasher, Freeze Cracker) there was any actual indication that you could. Although I guess you could argue that in those case it wasn't as deadly.

qq more

Well, it's not like any time you've been able to do that before (Ice Slasher, Freeze Cracker) there was any actual indication that you could. Although I guess you could argue that in those case it wasn't as deadly.

There was indication though. Ice Slasher allows you to freeze enemies. Normally when one gets a robot master weapon they would at least try to experiment with that around for a little bit. Big chance the first thing they do is freeze an enemy with it. Doing that would make it kind of obvious you could also freeze fire beams from FireMan/Wily levels.

I don't think Concrete Shot freezes enemies though, just lava beams... so it's not really obvious that it could do that.

Noi

Concrete Shot's more obvious effect is that it makes blocks. It's relation with the lava beams is pretty obtuse. Hell, I don't think I need to point out that Ice Slasher and Freeze Cracker are Ice attacks, which are much more comparable to freezing things than Concrete. The fire pillars you need to freeze in Wily 1 of MM1 don't insta-kill you either, so you can experiment with your weapons to see what works.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine they were going for the "concrete turns things rock solid" angle.

It's not the most logical thing for LAVA, but some logic is there.

CorvoSol

As far as crazy twists/surprises go, I'm quite fond of everything that transpires in the last few stages & boss fights in X5. Shadow Devil in particular was a holy shit moment for me at the time.

X4's revelations that Sigma was a good guy once, that Zero was once a Maverick, and that
Zero was made by Dr. Wily
were huge for me at the time.

Noi

And even before X4...

1BlA7ua.jpg

Granted, that game wasn't commonly available over here, but still.

CorvoSol

This was explicitly stated in the X1 manual.
Both hinted/implicit since X2.

1. I'm pretty sure I got X1 used as a kid.

2. Who even plays X2? You just skip it straight for X3.

3. I didn't know about Power Battlers 'cuz I was a kid.

Actually I think I may have just rented X and X3 as a kid. I really do not remember much about X2 at all. I've never really liked that one as much as X and X3. Just like I feel Z2 is the least of its own series.

Solune

Except the final battle of 4. The final battle of 4 easily trumps the lame ass "Let's just repeat the final battle of 1" stunt that MMZ2 pulled.

You know that showdown with Weil was worth sitting through the giant robot man's romance with a preteen human girl.

MMZ2 is fairly good up until the sequences leading up to the final boss and the final boss itself. It's not hard, actually probably the easiest final boss in the Zero series. You could say that it literally ended Mega Man there and brought Zero into his own light (finally).

And no, actually I HATE everything about Zero 4, I HATE the Zero Knuckle, I HATE the shit story, I HATE the extremely brief ending, I HATE the lack of the guardians, I HATE the terrible cargo train that's supposed to be the hub. I HATE that it was a follow up to an incredibly solid game.

It's the X6 of the Zero series, mildly playable but loathsome after all is said and done.

Man, I didn't have any problem with any of the MM9 Wily stages. I loved how you had to use Concrete on the lava beams, I've had dreams about MM games using the weapons more often as traversal tools for years.

10 really kinda felt like it had a bit less character and was a bit easier to me in comparison, but I enjoyed it all the same. I don't much agree when people say it has the worst soundtrack in the series, half the tracks are pretty good and a few are some of the better in the series (Nitro Man, uh one of the Wily tracks - I can't recall which right now, also I love the wackiness of Solar Man and Sheep Man). I don't think it was as good as 4, but it was better than 5, 6, 8, and 1 for me. With a few exceptions, the weapons were kinda butt though.

Deku_Rain

Neo Member
Hello! For anyone in the mood for more playthroughs of Megaman games, I highly recommend ClementJ642's channel on YouTube. He's pretty much done all of them from the classic, X, and Zero series:

Here's his Megaman 9 playthrough

His commentary is very informative and pretty entertaining. Also shows off a few tricks I didn't know about.

Mega Man is dumb. In Mega Man 10 Wily has the flu, Bass leaves him there after beating him and Mega Man saves him by taking him to the hospital.
Wily has tried to kill Mega Man and his friends/family 10 times at least, tried to enslave the world and has caused tons of destruction and he just takes him to the hospital? Who would even accept him for hospitalization?
The Boston Marathon bomber killed 3 and injured over 200, including several cases of dismemberment. The one suspected of doing it was still admitted to a hospital to care for his wounds; there was just a heavy police presence at all times.

If something like that can happen in real life, it's not too far to stretch that the same could count for a fictional Dr. Wily.

SkyOdin

Wily's so unguarded that he escapes through the window though.

He probably was under heavy guard, but Wily can escape from anywhere at will anyways. Have they ever been able to hold him in prison for more than a couple of months?

Anyways, Mega Man actually killing Wily just seems like it would be out of character for him. I know that he threw a block at Wily in MM3, and threatened to shoot him in MM7, but it has always been Dr. Light's philosophy to take the more moral road. I think most signs point towards Light wanting Wily to repent and return to doing good for the world, like in
the ending of the Battle Network series
. The whole Robots shall not harm humans thing is a pretty big deal in the X series too.

It is also somewhat notable that Mega Man doesn't mention his attempt to kill Wily during his MM9 recap of all of the times Wily did his groveling act.

CorvoSol

X2 shits all over X3 real talk son

I mean, what are even the bosses in X2? An Ostritch, a moose, a crocodile, a snail, and a sponge. Wire sponge looked more like a xuxu plant than any sponge I've ever seen.

Besides, X-3 let you play as Zero and gave you his beam saber. Shoryuken kinda pales in comparison.

X2 is my second-favourite after X4!

Corvo. We were doing so well. Outside of the strangulation thing in the FF thread, we were doing well. Breakin' my heart over here.

Awww, nuts. For what its worth I'm sure it's still a good game, I just don't remember anything about it past like, that you have to collect parts of Zero.

MMZ2 is fairly good up until the sequences leading up to the final boss and the final boss itself. It's not hard, actually probably the easiest final boss in the Zero series. You could say that it literally ended Mega Man there and brought Zero into his own light (finally).

And no, actually I HATE everything about Zero 4, I HATE the Zero Knuckle, I HATE the shit story, I HATE the extremely brief ending, I HATE the lack of the guardians, I HATE the terrible cargo train that's supposed to be the hub. I HATE that it was a follow up to an incredibly solid game.

It's the X6 of the Zero series, mildly playable but loathsome after all is said and done.

I dunno. Z2 had
Elpizo
as a final boss and his entire fight was just a retread of the final boss fight in Z1. If it had been a little more divergent, I'd've cared, but I dunno. Not a lot of time or effort was spent on Elpizo, compared to two games of getting to know and hate Weil. I'll give you that chasing him was better than seeing Craft's romance or whatever, but no way was the last fight in Z2 better than that last fight in Z4.

Top Bottom