• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Kokonoe

Banned
So I'm guessing Splash Woman and Tornado Man are homages to Mega Man Zero?

3mh2EDi.jpg
N47w9ywm.png

UDN0DVX.jpg
3PLnJwvm.png

SkyOdin

That is what I have heard. Mega Man 9 is full of homages and references to other parts of the series. I believe that some of Megaman's alternate boss weapon colors also are references, such as one of them being the exact same colors as Bad Box-Art Mega Man.

That is what I have heard. Mega Man 9 is full of homages and references to other parts of the series. I believe that some of Megaman's alternate boss weapon colors also are references, such as one of them being the exact same colors as Bad Box-Art Mega Man.

Laser Trident?

MM9-LaserTrident-Art.jpg

I think Mega Man 7 gave him a similar color set for it's thunder weapon.

Now I want to re-play MM9 for some reason. Huh.

Azure J

So I'm guessing Splash Woman and Tornado Man are homages to Mega Man Zero?

I just nostalgia'd so hard at that MMZ art. Then I realize that 2002, a time I remember fondly for getting into MMZ/Z2 was 11 years ago and weep.

The Four Guardians were so cool, I was upset when none of them save Harpuia (and Phantom in extra materials) got any sort of development.

The Four Guardians were so cool, I was upset when none of them save Harpuia (and Phantom in extra materials) got any sort of development.

I'm more upset that they died to a boss explosion without any indication that said boss explosion was any different than all other boss explosions.

qq more

I'm more upset that they died to a boss explosion without any indication that said boss explosion was any different than all other boss explosions.

I guess there was a reason why Zero always teleport the moment the bosses explodes!

OH WAIT MEGAMAN ZERO 1 DIDN'T DO THAT

gj capcom (and even then it was still such a dumbbbbbbb "death")

Azure J

Oh man, one of my earliest moments of documented nerd rage right here. Didn't help that we got teased with that promo art of all of them and Original X staring at Ragnarok's descent from the ruins of Neo Arcadia during Zero 4.

qq more

I love how there's absolutely no indication that they died followed by the fact they were absolutely completely forgotten in the next game.

It's not even an actual spoiler because you have to look up some source book or something to know why they weren't present in that game. :lol Worst storyline death ever.

I mean, as much as I would've prefered a "Ciel and the guardians work together and achieve world peace" ending, I wouldn't be opposed to the guardians dying to shield Zero from the explosion IF THERE WAS ANY INDICATION AT ALL THAT SOMETHING LIKE THAT EVEN HAPPENED. But no, we got none of that, they were just gone.

SkyOdin

Count me as another person who liked Zero 4. Zero 3 had the best final boss, but Zero 4 did a lot right. While it is the one where it is easiest to get the EX Skills, it is probably the hardest of the Zero games to get high scores in, thanks to the long stages. I really liked the Z-Knuckle and the stealing weapons gimmick, and Croire is easily the best Cyber-Elf.

It also gets credit for finally making humans and their relationship with reploids pertinent for the first time in the X and Zero games. While Zero 3 concluded the Dark Elf story and had the great climactic fight against Omega, Zero 4 actually brings some conclusion to the story of the entire Maverick Wars and the fundamental conflict between humans and reploids that began with Mega Man X. It competed the deconstruction of the term "Maverick", and best demonstrates how Zero's worldview differs from X's ideals. As such, it sets up the very different and conflict of ZX very well.

I liked Zero 4. It's a tad unnecessary in the face of Zero 3 (And there's really no topping Z3's final boss), but I still found it pretty fun, and the way it closes out the series is nice, too.

(I mean, Zero 3 would have been the perfect place to end things, but still...)

Videoneon

On Zero 4, I don't like it all that much, but it's still a good conclusion to the Zero series. Love the final boss fight and theme. While the final fight in Zero 3 is so much more dramatic, the music from Zero 4 crushes Cannonball into a fine powder. The final Weil dialogues were a great conclusion to the X and Zero series' sense of lawful robot citizenship.

Now that I think about it, the development of Refractors was never mentioned in Zero 4. ZX may have already been planned at the Zero series' conclusion.

All the cool kids prefer the Napalm Bomb colors - Orange and Purple!

:lol

Sometimes Mega Man games have the most bizarre color scheme choices.

It's better than seeing Red+Yellow and Black+Yellow all the time!....

SkyOdin

On Zero 4, I don't like it all that much, but it's still a good conclusion to the Zero series. Love the final boss fight and theme. While the final fight in Zero 3 is so much more dramatic, the music from Zero 4 crushes Cannonball into a fine powder. The final Weil dialogues were a great conclusion to the X and Zero series' sense of lawful robot citizenship.

Now that I think about it, the development of Refractors was never mentioned in Zero 4. ZX may have already been planned at the Zero series' conclusion.

I always figured that the new energy source that Ciel developed, the Ciel System, was always strongly implied to be Quantum Refractor technology. I am pretty sure the large, rotating crystalline flowers from Mega Man ZX were meant to be the Ciel Sytem power generators (considering one was located in the engine room of the Guardian HQ), and they definitely resemble the Refractors from the Legends games, just with a different shape. I think the Zero series was written with Mega Man Legends in mind, but the ZX series was created to be another intermediary step on the road to the Legends series. The fact that the line between human and reploid has become so blurred in the ZX games is definitely a step towards the Legends era.

qq more

You can try the Complete Works games from PSN if you have a PS3/PSP. Lag free! Only problem is that it's in Japanese... which you don't need since it's Mega Man anyways.

Videoneon

Just a nice piece of art to share here, that I found first through The Mega Man Network.

Since NeoGAF isn't showing the art here for some reason, check out the TMMN link above!

A description courtesy of Heat Man from TMMN:

This piece of artwork started making the rounds in social media the other day, and I felt it was worth a showcase. This awesome picture, representing 25 years of Mega Man heroes and heroines, was done by Japanese artist Kinniku as a promotional image for February’s Rock Party convention. Some of you are probably familiar with Kinniku, who we’ve featured on the site previously. This picture is definitely poster worthy! Might need to get in touch with Mr. Kinniku… Hit the break for a rendition of just the characters.

SkyOdin

I like Command Mission, despite its flaws. It is a Breath of Fire game disguised under a different IP. I really wish some of the stuff in the art gallery made it into the final game, though. Not that I know what it would do.

EDIT: Re: Kokonoe

How did you miss Black Zero in MM X2? It is it's original appearance.
Black Zero will appear in either the "saved Zero" or "fight Zero" routes. In the "fight Zero" route, Black Zero appears in the ending to summon up the final Capcom logo. In the "saved Zero" route, Black Zero is a fake Zero created by Sigma that the real Zero destroys in an instant.

qq more

It looks new to me, but I like new!

-edit-

There's Black Zero in MMX2? what?

If you get all of Zero's parts, the fake Zero (who has the black armor) would show up in the final level
before immediately getting blown up by the real Zero

edit: im 2 slowwww

Kokonoe

Banned
I beat Mega Man 2 a week or so ago, was pretty fun. Only real complaints I have with it is just Air Man's head things in his stage.

I like Command Mission, despite its flaws. It is a Breath of Fire game disguised under a different IP. I really wish some of the stuff in the art gallery made it into the final game, though. Not that I know what it would do.

EDIT: Re: Kokonoe

How did you miss Black Zero in MM X2? It is it's original appearance.
Black Zero will appear in either the "saved Zero" or "fight Zero" routes. In the "fight Zero" route, Black Zero appears in the ending to summon up the final Capcom logo. In the "saved Zero" route, Black Zero is a fake Zero created by Sigma that the real Zero destroys in an instant.

I guess I simply forgot, it's been a while since I played X2. Like I haven't touched it in many years, but I did get up to Sigma, just I never beat Sigma since I lost X Collection when I moved around 2006. I'm going to have to resee this.

If you revive Zero then before the final boss fight you face a black Zero that is quickly destroyed by the real Zero.

Awesome, I'm going to go check out that sprite now as I was convinced X4 was the first one to have that.

If you get all of Zero's parts, the fake Zero (who has the black armor) would show up in the final level
before immediately getting blown up by the real Zero

edit: im 2 slowwww

Thanks anyways!

qq more

I beat Mega Man 2 a week or so ago, was pretty fun. Only real complaints I have with it is just Air Man's head things in his stage.

Thanks anyways!

Don't forget the crash bomb wall boss. I don't think I've ever actually defeated them on my first life. D:

Your welcome!

It's not even because it is hard, because it really isn't, it's because of the whole "either you have full Crash Bombs and never miss, or you're screwed and now you have to farm an entire bar's worth of weapon energy on Sniper Joes riding big mechas" :|

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah to be honest, I would have probably done it on my first try if I realized what I was suppose to do exactly.

Least I can slay Quick Man and Crash Man with the normal buster! ...or most of the game actually.
I honestly like using the buster more for bosses for some reason, feels easier for me.

Except Metal Man with his weapon of course.

qq more

It's not even because it is hard, because it really isn't, it's because of the whole "either you have full Crash Bombs and never miss, or you're screwed and now you have to farm an entire bar's worth of weapon energy on Sniper Joes riding big mechas" :|
That's my problem with them. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea considering how well the game is designed otherwise.

Yeah to be honest, I would have probably done it on my first try if I realized what I was suppose to do exactly.

Least I can slay Quick Man and Crash Man with the normal buster! ...or most of the game actually.
I honestly like using the buster more for bosses for some reason, feels easier for me.

Except Metal Man with his weapon of course.
I always struggle fighting Quick and Crash Man with buster only. Then again I've been attempting it in Difficult Mode.

MM2 was surprisingly easier to Buster only than I expected really.

Btw, when is 4 out on the 3DS eshop? I need it, like, now D:

Next week

in magazines

er I mean yeah actually next week. 4/25 in NA

That's my problem with them. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea considering how well the game is designed otherwise.

I always struggle fighting Quick and Crash Man with buster only. Then again I've been attempting it in Difficult Mode.

Thank god for the 3DS VC's save states for this really.

Crash Man is simple really, he will only jump and attack whenever you fire your buster, so just keep running towards him and when he's right next to you, shoot him and he'll get hit but completely miss you.

Quick Man...yeah, and if you think he's a pain just try to fight his Doc Robot with the buster.

CorvoSol

He was more obsessed with Zero, actually.

And MMZ4 was terrible.

Except the final battle of 4. The final battle of 4 easily trumps the lame ass "Let's just repeat the final battle of 1" stunt that MMZ2 pulled.

You know that showdown with Weil was worth sitting through the giant robot man's romance with a preteen human girl.

Kokonoe

Banned
X1 needs to stop being so fun, hopefully it comes to the Wii U eshop on release. I honestly can't point out any flaws in this game, it's so well crafted from so many different angles. That and Zelda are my top 2 favorite SNES games of all time.

May try a buster only challenge with this for fun.

I saw there was a new PSP emulator out so I want to give Maverick Hunter X a try on it, maybe it has higher resolution settings.

Don't forget the crash bomb wall boss. I don't think I've ever actually defeated them on my first life. D:

I still say that's the worst thought out boss in the Classic series and I won't hear otherwise :|

It is. I mean Mega Man 2 is one of my fav games of all time but that boss... my god...

I want MMPU2 to happen and I want them to fix that awful boss.

I thought I heard people in this topic talking down on my most favorite boss battle ever.

not really i hate that stupid boss its the one thing i dread when i replay mm2

Top Bottom