• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Since they did NES-styled megaman games for this gen, maybe next-gen we'll get SNES-styled games. A continuation of the X series would be great if they can omit everything that happened after X4.
And the gen after that, maybe we'll get PS1-styled games such as MM Legends 3

Since they did NES-styled megaman games for this gen, maybe next-gen we'll get SNES-styled games. A continuation of the X series would be great if they can retcon everything that happened in X7&X8.
And the gen after that, maybe we'll get PS1-styled games such as MM Legends 3

I'd rather see a MMX4-2, not an actual sequel to 4 but using that games engine and gameplay as the basis. IE Both X and Zero playable from the beginning, no BS timers or items required to get a good ending. Just an intro stage, 8 bosses, and a sigma castle.

Noi

I can't exactly remember the reasons why, but I never really liked Z2 all that much. Liked it more than Z4 overall, but 1 and 3 are tops. Never played ZX due to how rare those games are to find here.

SkyOdin

I mean, what are even the bosses in X2? An Ostritch, a moose, a crocodile, a snail, and a sponge. Wire sponge looked more like a xuxu plant than any sponge I've ever seen.

Besides, X-3 let you play as Zero and gave you his beam saber. Shoryuken kinda pales in comparison.

Hey, X2 had the definitive and most iconic X armor. It added the double buster shot, the air dash, the first Giga attack, and the cool scanning ability. All of the X armor since builds on the X2 armor more than anything, and the X biometal from ZX plays like the X2 armor more than unarmored X.

I missed the double buster shot going from X4 onwards.

EDIT: Also, Magna Centipede is one of my favorite Mavericks. Crystal Snail is pretty cool, too. Most of them had great stages, better than most of the X3 stages really.

CorvoSol

Hey, X2 had the definitive and most iconic X armor. It added the double buster shot, the air dash, the first Giga attack, and the cool scanning ability. All of the X armor since builds on the X2 armor more than anything, and the X biometal from ZX plays like the X2 armor more than unarmored X.

I missed the double buster shot going from X4 onwards.

EDIT: Also, Magna Centipede is one of my favorite Mavericks. Crystal Snail is pretty cool, too. Most of them had great stages, better than most of the X3 stages really.

I dunno, why do I need to scan anything when every level is pretty straightforward?

Solune

I dunno. Z2 had
Elpizo
as a final boss and his entire fight was just a retread of the final boss fight in Z1. If it had been a little more divergent, I'd've cared, but I dunno. Not a lot of time or effort was spent on Elpizo, compared to two games of getting to know and hate Weil. I'll give you that chasing him was better than seeing Craft's romance or whatever, but no way was the last fight in Z2 better than that last fight in Z4.

I may not have made my post very clear since it was pretty hateful but I meant that I completely agree with you here, but I found that Z2 is a very solid game outside of the very last part of the game.

tumblr_mm3hxhN5uL1qzp9weo3_500.jpg
tumblr_mm3hxhN5uL1qzp9weo1_500.jpg

Capcom will be selling this 3DS case on their online shop soon. Just a heads up.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/04/30/snazzy-mega-man-3ds-case-coming-to-capcom-store

I remember a time when I got annoyed that so many mega man games were being released because I didn't have the time or money for all of them... :(

L Thammy

Maybe it's me, but I thought X2 looked really ugly. Like the worst of the '90s, but with Mega Man.
And I liked both Street Sharks and Mummies Alive.

I'm not really sure I'd like to see a SNES-styled X game.
The problem with the nostalgia-driven Mega Man stuff is that we'll probably end up losing some of the few experiments the series does even if we do have a new game. No more Doc Robot, no more ripping off enemy weapons, no more transforming into bosses, no more Mega Arm, no more... all of the weirdness of X5.

qq more

The problem with the nostalgia-driven Mega Man stuff is that we'll probably end up losing some of the few experiments the series does even if we do have a new game. No more Doc Robot, no more ripping off enemy weapons, no more transforming into bosses, no more Mega Arm, no more... all of the weirdness of X5.

What? They can do both.

They even made Protoman and Bass playable. They even kept the shop system. And MM10 experimented with the idea of multiple paths.

CorvoSol

I may not have made my post very clear since it was pretty hateful but I meant that I completely agree with you here, but I found that Z2 is a very solid game outside of the very last part of the game.

Well 'course it's solid. It's Mega man Zero. The whole series is great. Plus, Z2 has that Phoenix boss whose attacks summon all of Zero's past rivals. That fight was awesome.

Maybe it's me, but I thought X2 looked really ugly. Like the worst of the '90s, but with Mega Man.
And I liked both Street Sharks and Mummies Alive.

I'm not really sure I'd like to see a SNES-styled X game.

I have vocally hated and secretly loved this show my entire life.

Deku_Rain

Neo Member
Is it just me or does anyone else' body contort into weird positions when fighting Metal Man? All that jumping and dodging and firing the mega buster makes my body do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Oh, I dunno, but it couldn‘t be that more expensive could it?

Anyways, I‘ve been playing 4 and...it‘s not just my imagination that they changed the slide from 3 so that you can‘t cancel it with a jump anymore, right? What the hell Capcom, that cost me a couple of lives already :/

Edit: Oh wait, I can but now I have to let go of down everytime >_>

L Thammy

What? They can do both.

They even made Protoman and Bass playable. They even kept the shop system. And MM10 experimented with the idea of multiple paths.

The stop system was from the Gameboy games and MM7. Protoman was mostly made out of stuff taken out of MM9. Even the challenges thing was from ZXA's if I recall.

Don't remember the multiple path. Was that in the DLC? I'm certain there would be new, appealing ideas there.

qq more

The stop system was from the Gameboy games and MM7. Protoman was mostly made out of stuff taken out of MM9. Even the challenges thing was from ZXA's if I recall.

Don't remember the multiple path. Was that in the DLC? I'm certain there would be new, appealing ideas there.

I know where the shop originated from, but I guess my shop system argument isn't very strong. I was just saying MM9/10 kept the shop system despite the games being modeled after the NES titles (which lacks them). Also ZXA had a challenge mode? I don't recall it but then again I never bothered too much with the extra content.

MM9/10 added time attack w/ leaderboards and Endless Mode.

Also by multiple paths I mean branching paths in certain levels (Pump Man's stage and Wily Stage 1).

I don't see how the nostalgia-driven direction is preventing Capcom from experimenting with franchise Those were just two games from one series and said series is meant to be simple anyways. It doesn't need experimentation.

SkyOdin

I know where the shop originated from, but I guess my shop system argument isn't very strong. I was just saying MM9/10 kept the shop system despite the games being modeled after the NES titles (which lacks them). Also ZXA had a challenge mode? I don't recall it but then again I never bothered too much with the extra content.

Also by multiple paths I mean branching paths in certain levels (Pump Man's stage and Wily Stage 1).

I don't see how the nostalgia-driven direction is preventing Capcom from experimenting with franchise Those were just two games from one series and said series is meant to be simple anyways. It doesn't need experimentation.

ZX Advent doesn't have a challenge mode like MM 9 and 10 do, but it does have a cool system where you get medals for fighting bosses under special conditions. For example, beating Argoyle and Ugoyle by only shooting one of the two, or defeating Queenbee without blowing up her weapon container. I really liked those challenges.

I still don't like the choice to remove the slide and charge shot from MM 9 and 10 though. It felt like a major step backwards.

I think the Classic series would be a good fit for a 2.5D action RPG. Just saying.

qq more

ZX Advent doesn't have a challenge mode like MM 9 and 10 do, but it does have a cool system where you get medals for fighting bosses under special conditions. For example, beating Argoyle and Ugoyle by only shooting one of the two, or defeating Queenbee without blowing up her weapon container. I really liked those challenges.

I still don't like the choice to remove the slide and charge shot from MM 9 and 10 though. It felt like a major step backwards.

Slide I wish they kept, seems silly to remove it.

Charge shot I'm actually glad they removed. Charge shot IMHO cheapened the experience of the NES games.

I think the Classic series would be a good fit for a 2.5D action RPG. Just saying.

I'm speaking for mainline classic games, not ideas for spinoffs. That would be actually cool though, maybe make it a series too.

L Thammy

If memory serves, MM6 had levels that split. One route had an additional powerup. I guess time attack is new, though.

And I'm going to have to disagree. The innovations of Mega Man X were similar to things other games played with. X's armor is similar to MM6's Adapters. The powerups being split across the levels is not dissimilar from the MEGAMAN letters in MM5.

Even Inti Create's other games were experimental. The Zero and ZX games all have elements that aren't in the rest. I dont' think they suffered for it. MM10 and MM9 are much more similar to each other.

I can see why they might remove the charge shot, I guess, but removing the slide was bad. It's sacrificing gameplay for the sake of nostalgia.

Kokonoe

Banned
So I'm hearing Mega Man Anniversary Collection is bad, but I simply couldn't agree with that.

You get 8 of the classic games, Power Battle and Power Fighters. Now I never unlocked Power Battle, but Power Fighters was kinda fun, even if it wasn't the deepest fighter around I like the casual aspect of it.

I loved the save files in this and it also allowed passwords if you want to use it, and Easy mode options were nice too. This song is an awesome arrangement/remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dM-YMQQO4

Only complaint I had with it is that it uses the PS1's version of MM8 instead of the Saturn.
The Boston Marathon bomber killed 3 and injured over 200, including several cases of dismemberment. The one suspected of doing it was still admitted to a hospital to care for his wounds; there was just a heavy police presence at all times.

If something like that can happen in real life, it's not too far to stretch that the same could count for a fictional Dr. Wily.

The difference in this is being that they already know Wily's intentions and this is a repeated capture and escape. They wanted that bomber alive to find out more evidence.

qq more

I didn't like MMAC but it may be just because I'm soured at MM7/8 being butchered and only experienced MMAC on the gamecube (with swapped buttons). I should've went with the PS2 version instead... My opinion on it would probably been different.

I found it pretty neat they added the Navi Mode and whatnot from the Rockman Complete Work series (Japan only) though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, right. I forgot about the arcade games. That was a good addition, kind of almost makes up for the botched audio in MM7/8 (Improperly looped music and sped up voices in 7 and 8 respectively)

Dogs. Mega Man Battle Network who's with me.

Found my old GB micro Ina drawer, dropped in 3. Oh baby yes.

MMBN3 was my first Mega Man game and it's amazing. I should replay them sometime.

Kokonoe

Banned
I didn't like MMAC but it may be just because I'm soured at MM7/8 being butchered and only experienced MMAC on the gamecube (with swapped buttons). I should've went with the PS2 version instead...

I found it pretty neat they added the Navi Mode and whatnot from the Rockman Complete Work series (Japan only) though.

Actually, the only version I own is the Gamecube one. ( ≖‿≖)

And I don't agree when people say the Gamecube's DPad is bad, it's just small, but fully functional.

I guess I never noticed any audio issues in MM7.

qq more

Actually, the only version I own is the Gamecube one. ( ≖‿≖)

And I don't agree when people say the Gamecube's DPad is bad, it's just small, but fully functional.

I guess I never noticed any audio issues in MM7.
I wonder if the PS2 version runs on emulators well. It has more content than the GC version. ...Well just the remixed music, really.

My hands are kind of too big so naturally I couldn't get used to the tiny D-Pad. There's always that SNES-styled Hori gamecube controller though, even though it's kind of expensive.

Some of the songs starts at the looping point or something in MMAC's MM7. It's been a while but some of the oddities are definitely there. They also ruined the cool credits scene by removing the animation :<

(&#8790;&#8255;&#8790; )

Rhapsody

Banned
MMAC's good, but I didn't like the GC version. Played it at a friend's, and the B and A switch threw me off a bit at the beginning.
Dogs. Mega Man Battle Network who's with me.

Found my old GB micro Ina drawer, dropped in 3. Oh baby yes.

I love the BN series. 1-3's stories were so fun to go through that I ended up buying all of them in the last year or so just to replay them. 4 and 5 were a major step down, but the gameplay was better at least. A bit sad that I sold those two, especially since I 100 percent all of it. I only own a Japanese version of 6.

I swear I‘m the only human that was never bothered nor noticed the button switching in the GC collection.

Anyways, just got done with my 3DS MM4 run and, well, it was disappointingly easy to buster only :/

qq more

I swear I&#8216;m the only human that was never bothered nor noticed the button switching in the GC collection.

Anyways, just got done with my 3DS MM4 run and, well, it was disappointingly easy to buster only :/

MM4 is probably the easiest of the series. I did a minimal charge-shot run and it was still easy.

I still love the game though, but... yeah... too easy!

Nose Master

I've been playing mm10 recently after finally getting the conservationist achievement in 9... And it is every bit as bad as I remember. Am I imagining things, or are the boss' AI much more dynamic in 10?

For example, chill man will always prioritize dashing into you immediately if you're frozen. I don't really like the way that affects the flow of boss fights. You end up having to cheese the AI with the way you move, rather than responding to the way they move. It reminds me of why the bosses in sf x mm felt awkward.

SkyOdin

So I'm hearing Mega Man Anniversary Collection is bad, but I simply couldn't agree with that.

You get 8 of the classic games, Power Battle and Power Fighters. Now I never unlocked Power Battle, but Power Fighters was kinda fun, even if it wasn't the deepest fighter around I like the casual aspect of it.

I loved the save files in this and it also allowed passwords if you want to use it, and Easy mode options were nice too. This song is an awesome arrangement/remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dM-YMQQO4

Only complaint I had with it is that it uses the PS1's version of MM8 instead of the Saturn.
I love the Anniversary Collection, and the Gamecube version (with annoying button swap) is the version I own. It is actually the first time I have actually owned any of the Classic Mega Man games. Back when they were new was the golden age of the mom and pop rental store, so I rented every Mega Man game up to Mega Man X4 (which ended up being the first one I bought). The Anniversary Collection (and the Mega Man X Collection) actually let me beat most of those games for the first time. I am a lot better at Mega Man games today than I was as a kid.

The difference in this is being that they already know Wily's intentions and this is a repeated capture and escape. They wanted that bomber alive to find out more evidence.
Come on, Wily is a Saturday morning cartoon villain, and the classic Mega Man games are light hearted in tone. Trying to apply too much seriousness to them undoes what makes them so much fun.

Besides, there is no proof Wily ever killed anyone. The only possible on-screen example is a bunch of UN Helicopters blowing up in Super Adventure Rockman, and Kenji Inafune was unhappy with that game for specifically that reason (Super Adventure Rockman also included both Light wanting to give Wily the benefit of the doubt, and a look at Wily's compassion towards his own robots). There is never any mention in game that Wily has killed a whole lot of people. It may be a result of being a game targeted at children, but that kind of saturday morning cartoon universe for children is exactly what Classic Mega Man is all about.

Heck, the Battle Network series on the whole is darker and more serious than Classic Mega Man, and that is saying something. And in regards to its villains the Battle Network series
usually aims to give them a chance to redeem themselves. Sean, Regal, and Wily are all given chances to redeem themselves for the horrible things they did. Most of the Starforce villains, too.

qq more

Except on the anime :v

tumblr_mm8cf4RTll1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

Yeah, not much chance for redemption there...

Holy shit what happened to him?!

I've been playing mm10 recently after finally getting the conservationist achievement in 9... And it is every bit as bad as I remember. Am I imagining things, or are the boss' AI much more dynamic in 10?

For example, chill man will always prioritize dashing into you immediately if you're frozen. I don't really like the way that affects the flow of boss fights. You end up having to cheese the AI with the way you move, rather than responding to the way they move. It reminds me of why the bosses in sf x mm felt awkward.

Oh no, we aren't having any Mega Man Superior 10 hate here! *crosses arms*

In all of seriousness, I do like that MM10 has more dynamic boss fights. The boss fights still manages to be interesting even when you have their weaknesses. I really don't see the problem with Chill Man's AI having to dash into you after freezing you.

Holy shit what happened to him?!

Duo happened. Then he literally made Earth blow the fuck up and even though he undid it later because power of friendship convinced him, the fact remains that Duo had a killcount of literally the entire population of Earth minus 12.

Kokonoe

Banned
Besides, there is no proof Wily ever killed anyone. The only possible on-screen example is a bunch of UN Helicopters blowing up in Super Adventure Rockman, and Kenji Inafune was unhappy with that game for specifically that reason (Super Adventure Rockman also included both Light wanting to give Wily the benefit of the doubt, and a look at Wily's compassion towards his own robots). There is never any mention in game that Wily has killed a whole lot of people. It may be a result of being a game targeted at children, but that kind of saturday morning cartoon universe for children is exactly what Classic Mega Man is all about.

Heck, the Battle Network series on the whole is darker and more serious than Classic Mega Man, and that is saying something. And in regards to its villains the Battle Network series
usually aims to give them a chance to redeem themselves. Sean, Regal, and Wily are all given chances to redeem themselves for the horrible things they did. Most of the Starforce villains, too.

One thing's for certain, he wants to rule over the world as an evil dictator and has caused mass destruction countless times. I think that's enough to warrant him being taken out, and who knows what Mega Man would have done if Bass didn't save Wily in 7.

Although I am aware it's a story for kids, I'll still call Mega Man dumb in 10.

Duo happened. Then he literally made Earth blow the fuck up and even though he undid it later because power of friendship convinced him, the fact remains that Duo had a killcount of literally the entire population of Earth minus 12.

...wait, what is this from? This makes Duo stronger than everyone in all of the Mega Mans.

Kokonoe

Banned
The MMBN anime.

Ah, I used to watch that but would never be truly satisfied since it wasn't realdeal (classic or X) Mega Man.

I remember the rich little girl spitting out the strawberry milk her friends helped her get when she lacked money after they all pitched in because it wasn't the expensive stuff. Someone should beat her up.

qq more

Ah, I used to watch that but would never be truly satisfied since it wasn't realdeal (classic or X) Mega Man.

I remember the rich little girl spitting out the strawberry milk her friends helped her get when she lacked money after they all pitched in because it wasn't the expensive stuff. Someone should beat her up.

I got bored halfway through Season 2. I wonder if it got any better though.

And yeah, I wish there would be a cool anime of either Classic or X already. Closest we got was that OVA and that unlockable movie in MHX

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd be happy if they just revived the old cartoon with the same Mega Man voice actor. Would be awesome.

They can add the 9 and 10 villains into it.

Top Bottom