• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Mega Man 1: Finished! Great game and yes, quite difficult. I actually found the Wily stages harder than most of the normal ones... They were short but troublesome.

Well, I have MM2 too, so the old school fun continues! Oh and btw, if this wasn't clear, I'm a noob to the series. I had only played MM1 for GB before. Sooner or later I'll play every NES MM and then GB. After that I hope to start the X series.

Awesome! Always glad to see fresh meat newcomers experiencing Mega Man for the first time! Honestly with a few exceptions almost every game in the franchise is worth playing.

Qurupeke

So, I started MM2 on Normal. I just beat Wood Man. Some impressions. First, it seems way easier than the first game. I don't know if this stage was easy, but it felt way easier than anything on MM1. But it was beautiful. It felt like a game of an other console, not NES. Bright colours, way more interesting enemies. I think I enjoy it more and this actually does not feel dated.

qq more

So, I started MM2 on Normal. I just beat Wood Man. Some impressions. First, it seems way easier than the first game. I don't know if this stage was easy, but it felt way easier than anything on MM1. But it was beautiful. It felt like a game of an other console, not NES. Bright colours, way more interesting enemies. I think I enjoy it more and this actually does not feel dated.

MM2 is a lot better with the level design, also the best game in the series. The only real issue is the stupid wall boss in Wily Stage 3 or 4.

That's because "Normal" is actually "Easy". Rockman 2 didn't have difficulty selections; it defaulted to what Mega Man 2 players would call "Difficult". So, in a sense, "Difficult" is the real "Normal"... and it's just as difficult as the rest of the series.

The wall boss is "what the fuck were they thinking when they designed this" tier.

I personally prefer 3 and 9 over 2 but it's still amazing.

Qurupeke

That's because "Normal" is actually "Easy". Rockman 2 didn't have difficulty selections; it defaulted to what Mega Man 2 players would call "Difficult". So, in a sense, "Difficult" is the real "Normal"... and it's just as difficult as the rest of the series.
So, Ilm playing easy mode? Meh.

Qurupeke

Changed mode, I've nearly beat half of the bosses. Yeah, it's superior to MM and really fun. Difficult mode is clearly better but still I don't find it as hard as MM. I think I'm buying MM3 after that... Damn you Mega Man!

Changed mode, I've nearly beat half of the bosses. Yeah, it's superior to MM and really fun. Difficult mode is clearly better but still I don't find it as hard as MM. I think I'm buying MM3 after that... Damn you Mega Man!

Once you get metal blade the game becomes a lot easier

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mega Man had a good run. >.>

Hah, I'd change my avatar to a Call one, but my avatar's kind of set in stone to the point where no one would recognize me if I changed it.

Qurupeke

Yay!!! Mega Man 2 finished! Well, the last part was really hard. I don't even know how I managed to beat Wily, in every form... Really awesome game. I'm buying Mega Man 3 right now. How is it, in comparison to tbe previous two?

qq more

Yay!!! Mega Man 2 finished! Well, the last part was really hard. I don't even know how I managed to beat Wily, in every form... Really awesome game. I'm buying Mega Man 3 right now. How is it, in comparison to tbe previous two?

Nothing. Mega Man is dead. It's time for MIGHTY NO. 9!!!

kidding but IMHO, MM3 is really good, but I kind of prefer 2 more because while 3 introduced a lot of cool stuff (Rush, Sliding and W-Tanks), the levels aren't as fun as 2's. I'd rank it not too far behind 2 though... Definitely play it!

Little deja vu for me here. Sorta how I felt when Capcom introduced the X series and I felt like classic was dead and I was being forced to choose. I got over it of course, and I'm sure this will feel like just another MM series soon enough.

Still paranoid Capcom will do something when it's close to release.

qq more

Little deja vu for me here. Sorta how I felt when Capcom introduced the X series and I felt like classic was dead and I was being forced to choose. I got over it of course, and I'm sure this will feel like just another MM series soon enough.

Still paranoid Capcom will do something when it's close to release.

If they do, we shall storm their HQ and rescue Mega Man who is locked in the vault!

I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy mm3 more then mm2. Slide and proto man add a lot and I enjoy that the game doesn't have an op boss power ala metal blade.

Qurupeke

Mighty No. 9 looks cool but I hope it will see a console release. I don't like platformers on pc.

I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy mm3 more then mm2. Slide and proto man add a lot and I enjoy that the game doesn't have an op boss power ala metal blade.
Metal Blades were awesome. xD Like a more powerful Mega Buster that can hit in every direction. Definitely overpowered.

SkyOdin

Mega Man 2 is certainly good, but I am a bigger fan of 3 and 4. 3 is great because of the sheer amount of cool stuff it introduces to the series, while 4 adds the charge shot. But don't let people's personal preferences fool you, since the entire classic Mega Man series is pretty darn good. Even the games people rarely choose as their favorite (such as 5 or 6) are great games in their own right. Classic Mega Man is much more consistent than the X series in quality. In my opinion, it doesn't hit the same highs as some of the games from other branches of the Mega Man franchise, but it certainly never hits any of the lows.

Rhapsody

Banned
Nice waking up in the morning and seeing Mighty No. 9 being over 500k right now. I haven't donated anything yet, but I'm going to soon.

Even better than 2 in some ways. It's hard for me to choose which one is better between 2 and 3 because they're just so good.

I'm definitely on the 3>2 side although they're both amazing. If anything at least 3 feels the best when it comes to mobility. 1,2,9 and 10 have no slide (Protoman aside), and at least 4-6 just kept tweaking it for the worst for no good reason.

Anyways, yay for MN9. Rather than change avatar I want to photoshop the helmet into it though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You're not in the minorityl I think that's something that people tend to debate (is 3 better than 2? Is 2 better than 3?) quite often. Mega Man 4's my favourite and 2's been bumped down to the lower half of my rankings. I think they're mostly all good games, but 2 does some stuff that I don't like.

It's funny because Mega Man 2 was the game that got me into video games. I was fucking horrible at it when I started, but I liked it so much that I wanted to play video games.

Noi

Nope, not powered up. I'm talking the very first game in the series.

There's something to be said about liking the game best that was the overall "simplest". Your actions are limited to just running and shooting, there's no glaringly overpowered weapons like the Metal Blades or poorly designed boss fights like MM2's Wall Shooters, nor the additional moves like sliding and charge shots. You just pick a stage, repeat it until you get better at doing the stage, and move on. I've always been of the belief that if you can beat MM1, you can easily breeze through the rest of the series, partially because MM1 essentially forces you to master the basics just to get through it. It's part of why I also like MM10 (and used to like 9, but a recent playthrough of that completely undid whatever love I had for it).

Like I said, minority opinion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And to be fair to Noi, he's pretty damn good at the first game. And because of him replaying the first one a lot, he's pretty darn good at the rest of the games in the series.

....and he's just posted his reasons for liking it because I left this post idling for a while, haha.

Noi

To elaborate a bit more, there's a bit of a different feeling to MM1 than there is to the rest of the games. Like say you're playing MM4, and you find yourself having a hard time beating a Robot Master. In that game, the answer to that hard time might be that the player isn't using charge shots or slides enough, so just using those more would lead to making it a much easier time. In MM1, the answer to that same issue would be to get better at fighting him. Old school mentality, I know, but that's how I tend to play the series to begin with.

(Not saying that the rest of the series isn't good either, I just really enjoy 1 above the rest cause it remains challenging even now without having to do some Buster-only, mr perfect style runs to make it so.)

Nope, not powered up. I'm talking the very first game in the series.

There's something to be said about liking the game best that was the overall "simplest". Your actions are limited to just running and shooting, there's no glaringly overpowered weapons like the Metal Blades or poorly designed boss fights like MM2's Wall Shooters, nor the additional moves like sliding and charge shots. You just pick a stage, repeat it until you get better at doing the stage, and move on. I've always been of the belief that if you can beat MM1, you can easily breeze through the rest of the series, partially because MM1 essentially forces you to master the basics just to get through it. It's part of why I also like MM10 (and used to like 9, but a recent playthrough of that completely undid whatever love I had for it).

Like I said, minority opinion.

To elaborate a bit more, there's a bit of a different feeling to MM1 than there is to the rest of the games. Like say you're playing MM4, and you find yourself having a hard time beating a Robot Master. In that game, the answer to that hard time might be that the player isn't using charge shots or slides enough, so just using those more would lead to making it a much easier time. In MM1, the answer to that same issue would be to get better at fighting him. Old school mentality, I know, but that's how I tend to play the series to begin with.

(Not saying that the rest of the series isn't good either, I just really enjoy 1 above the rest cause it remains challenging even now without having to do some Buster-only, mr perfect style runs to make it so.)

I respect that but still not share the same opinion :T

Rhapsody

Banned
Honestly the only thing that gives me problems in MM1 are those enemies that are also platforms that shoot out of the side.
They're also a bit glitchy iirc too. Everything else about MM1 isn't too hard.

Honestly the only thing that gives me problems in MM1 are those enemies that are also platforms that shoot out of the side.
They're also a bit glitchy iirc too. Everything else about MM1 isn't too hard.

What I hate is these bastards
images

Top Bottom