• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

CorvoSol

Why does Zero look different in the Zero games?

Shift in art style. According to some dude or another he technically looks the same, and it is just the art style having changed.

We finished Squid Adler's level. SQUID ADLER'S LEVEL IS A LOAD OF TEDIOUS BULLSHIT. I hate riding these stupid bikes.

qq more

Shift in art style. According to some dude or another he technically looks the same, and it is just the art style having changed.

We finished Squid Adler's level. SQUID ADLER'S LEVEL IS A LOAD OF TEDIOUS BULLSHIT. I hate riding these stupid bikes.

READ-*BOOM*-Y!

I hate riding these stupid bikes.

Original was the best.

Mega-Man-5-Wave-Man-Level.jpg

CorvoSol

Try Duff McWhalen's stage X-Buster only without plasma shot.

*evil grin*

No thanks. Ain't never wanna go back to Duff McWhalen's stage again.

I hate most of the X5 stages. When they are not being tedious, they are being poorly designed. They re-use too many gimmicks and assets from X4 for my tastes, as well.

X5 shows some serious signs of fatigue. Like you can kinda tell the people working on it were sorta done making MMX games at that point.

Original was the best.

Mega-Man-5-Wave-Man-Level.jpg

I can't remember if that was a good level or I just didn't realize how much I hate these bikes back then.

It's a shame, I've been feeling like playing the Legends games lately. I barely touched them back in the day, and can't believe how pricy they are now. Honestly, I don't remember much of what little I did play, other than the fun atmospheres. I only recently found out they had a 2-pack port on PSP, but it's like, do I wanna pay hundreds for each US disc, or $70 plus shipping for a version I can't read. Bleh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Found out the timer doesn't really matter in MMX5. Why does this game suck compared to X4?
Because Inafune gave no more fucks. X5 was supposed to be the end of the series, and Inafune said he didn't have much to do with it in terms of development. Apparently he said, "Hey guys, finish the series with X5, ok?" and that was that.

And then Capcom decided to release X6, probably because X5 made them some bank.

I seem to recall X5 having a mixed reception back when it was released here.

CorvoSol

Because Inafune gave no more fucks. X5 was supposed to be the end of the series, and Inafune said he didn't have much to do with it in terms of development. Apparently he said, "Hey guys, finish the series with X5, ok?" and that was that.

And then Capcom decided to release X6, probably because X5 made them some bank.

I seem to recall X5 having a mixed reception back when it was released here.

At least it got me the Zero series, I spose.

Wasn't the best method of clearing MMX5 to simply suicide until the timer was down to like 9, clear the bosses to get all the shuttle parts before the beam parts, fire the beam fire the shuttle, then kill the other bosses before sigma stages? That allowed you to get all 8 parts and keep Zero from going Maverick.

CorvoSol

Wasn't the best method of clearing MMX5 to simply suicide until the timer was down to like 9, clear the bosses to get all the shuttle parts before the beam parts, fire the beam fire the shuttle, then kill the other bosses before sigma stages? That allowed you to get all 8 parts and keep Zero from going Maverick.

Isn't Zero going Maverick canon, though?

DS-61-5

Sorry if this has been answered here before--skimmed around and searched, but didn't find.

How well [or to be blunt, how badly] does the emulation for Xbox Anniversary Collection work on the 360? I'm getting rid of a lot of my Gamecube games as part of a general purge of stuff, and while I'm selling surplus games I figured I'd finally be rid of the awful B/A button swap that drove me crazy years ago.

I'd like to still have access to 1-6 [and maybe 7, though I'm tempted to just play the demake if I ever go back to that one], so have been eyeing the Xbox version to replace it. I've heard the emulation is not good on 8 [which I don't really care about anyway], and conflicting reports on the NES ones. Anyone have impressions? I'd rather not drop the $30 plus to replace all that with Wii/U, which I guess is the next alternative.

Thanks.

goldenpp72

Sorry if this has been answered here before--skimmed around and searched, but didn't find.

How well [or to be blunt, how badly] does the emulation for Xbox Anniversary Collection work on the 360? I'm getting rid of a lot of my Gamecube games as part of a general purge of stuff, and while I'm selling surplus games I figured I'd finally be rid of the awful B/A button swap that drove me crazy years ago.

I'd like to still have access to 1-6 [and maybe 7, though I'm tempted to just play the demake if I ever go back to that one], so have been eyeing the Xbox version to replace it. I've heard the emulation is not good on 8 [which I don't really care about anyway], and conflicting reports on the NES ones. Anyone have impressions? I'd rather not drop the $30 plus to replace all that with Wii/U, which I guess is the next alternative.

Thanks.

In my experience, the original NES games worked fine, but 8 suffered a lot of sprite glitches, don't remember if the others had issues, but I don't recall any issues of the first 6.

CorvoSol

So Mega Man X 5 Sigma 1st form is stupid easy.

Mega Man X 5 Sigma second form fuck that undodgeable purple rape block.

EDIT:

MEGA MAN X 6. WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE GAME.

Toad.T

Banned
Quick request before I dive into the community thread as a whole, what are some good fangames to download? I've been playing MMUnl and I'd like some suggestions/links.

But, I have a few other things to request as well:

-I've heard the demakes for MM7 and MM8 are good. Any links to those, or to any hacked versions (IIRC, you can edit the assets via paint. That's what I mean.)
-Did he make any more demakes, like of MM&B or MMPU?
-How's Rockko Chan? It seems like fun, should I give it a whirl?
-I know crossovers are a popular topic these days (What with SMBC 3.0), are there any that don't involve Tohou, or similar ilk, or is it all just about bullet hell vixens.

I'll post again once I've given these new games a go.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Quick request before I dive into the community thread as a whole, what are some good fangames to download? I've been playing MMUnl and I'd like some suggestions/links.

But, I have a few other things to request as well:

-I've heard the demakes for MM7 and MM8 are good. Any links to those, or to any hacked versions (IIRC, you can edit the assets via paint. That's what I mean.)
-Did he make any more demakes, like of MM&B or MMPU?
-How's Rockko Chan? It seems like fun, should I give it a whirl?
-I know crossovers are a popular topic these days (What with SMBC 3.0), are there any that don't involve Tohou, or similar ilk, or is it all just about bullet hell vixens.

I'll post again once I've given these new games a go.
One of our GAF lurkers decided to answer this for you, and I'll post his answers here:

Bean said:
1) Links to the demakes which were done by different people:
RM7FC - http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pub/final2 (direct download link)
RM8FC - http://demake.web.fc2.com/ (v3.12b is the one you want)

2) No other demakes out there as of yet. There were sprites created for Mega Man & Bass, though.

3) Rokko-Chan... I've seen this but haven't played it. It looks good enough to play.

I haven't played Rokko-Chan, myself yet. I should give it a shot.

SkyOdin

I haven't played Rokko-Chan, myself yet. I should give it a shot.

I played it briefly, but couldn't really get into it. I am not that good at Mega Man style games when they are controlled by keyboard keys. It seems challenging, but it is clear that its creator put a lot of effort into it.

CorvoSol

Just chiming in to say again that Mega Man X 6 is the most astonishingly bad Mega Man game I have ever played. I didn't know it could get worse than X 5, but EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL. in this game is a testament to the worst level design I have ever known. Whereas in X4 getting the Ultimate Armor broke the game, I feel like in X6 the UA is almost mandatory for survival in this awful, broken game.

Like in Blizzard Wolf's stage. What the hell is the deal with this level? What is the deal!? You can't wall kick anywhere and then suddenly that ice thing where the ice takes out half of X's HP every time it hits him and boy oh boy guess how often that happens. The slippery ass ice mechanics are just . . . beyond understanding.

Worse still is that the game doesn't even think about the fact that I might want to play as both X and Zero on the same file. I mean, I think it was a dumb thing to merge X and Zero mode in X5, but in X6 that collecting a heart for X means Zero can not increase his health that much is stupid as hell. Especially since, tagging between my brother and I as I have been doing, it would have been cool to have his progress be reflected by X and mine by Zero, but if there's only enough hearts to fully upgrade one character, forget that, because Lord knows I'm going to need every ounce of HP if I hope to beat Sigma in this game, because even when he's laughably easy like he was in X5, he still has cheap as hell attacks that kill you within seconds of using your E-Tank. Like that fucking purple block spam.

Basically the X series should have ended at X4 because from what I'm seeing here, nothing worth while was made in it after that point. Maybe this will change for X 8, but X 7 was apparently bad, I've been told.

X6 is indeed one of the most rushed and erratic games ever made, but playing as Zero completely redeemed the game for me. He is just much better suited to handle all the shit the game throws at you. His double jump, for example, is so, so useful, and makes sections like Blizzard's stage a lot easier. What's more, if you use Shield Sheldon's weapon glitch, you can literally wreck EVERYTHING the game throws at you, and boy, it's fun.

In fact, I'd rather play X6 this way than play X8. X8 is such a mixed bag, nowhere near as fun for me.

SkyOdin

X6 has its fair share of flaws, but I still like it more than X5. And X7 is the game that deserves to be be called "the worst Mega Man game ever made".

CorvoSol

X6 has its fair share of flaws, but I still like it more than X5. And X7 is the game that deserves to be be called "the worst Mega Man game ever made".

Well when I get to playing X7 I'll let you guys know how much I hate it, but the point is that, after X4 the series isn't good anymore.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how I feel about the overwhelming sentiment out there that the original Mega Man only really worked in 8-bit, to the extent of completely demaking the games that had the audacity to be more.

I mean, yes, Mega Man 2 and 3 were undoubtedly the series' highlights, but I don't think that's strictly because they adhered to NES restrictions. I like MM8 as it was. :\

CorvoSol

Incidentally, I'm not sure how I feel about the overwhelming sentiment out there that the original Mega Man only really worked in 8-bit, to the extent of completely demaking the games that had the audacity to be more.

I mean, yes, Mega Man 2 and 3 were undoubtedly the series' highlights, but I don't think that's strictly because they adhered to NES restrictions. I like MM8 as it was. :\

I enjoyed Mega Man 9, but it'd be a shame if they always remained 8-bit going forward. Of course at this point we'll be lucky to get another one, so yeah.

SkyOdin

I agree for the most part. What has made Mega Man great has nothing to do with the 8-bit artstyle. There is nothing wrong with Mega Man 7 and 8 visually. I can understand people not being happy with the physics or level design of either game, but I never really got why people latched so strongly onto the 8-bit thing. Particularly when the X games played so perfectly in 16 and 32 bits (at least in X4 for the 32 bits).

Of course, I will admit to a certain fondness for the Mega Man 7 sprites that grew out of me reading a fair number of sprite comics that used said sprites. The MM7 sprites were the most expressive ones in the series.

CorvoSol

I agree for the most part. What has made Mega Man great has nothing to do with the 8-bit artstyle. There is nothing wrong with Mega Man 7 and 8 visually. I can understand people not being happy with the physics or level design of either game, but I never really got why people latched so strongly onto the 8-bit thing. Particularly when the X games played so perfectly in 16 and 32 bits (at least in X4 for the 32 bits).

Of course, I will admit to a certain fondness for the Mega Man 7 sprites that grew out of me reading a fair number of sprite comics that used said sprites. The MM7 sprites were the most expressive ones in the series.

I should note that visually I have no problem with the X series passed 4, and that I think that X and Zero handle fine. Like their movesets (aside from that oh god that awful tornado attack in X5.) What I do find bad about X5 and X6 is the decisions made during design of levels and the game's two character aspect. Which is to say, level design is a terrible mess, just absolutely deplorable, and the nonsense where I have to prioritize X or Zero and that I can't have both fully upgraded in terms of health.

The only things related to appearance I can levy at X5 and 6 is that lower legs ballooned to preposterous sizes, and that the Mavericks became hilariously creatively bankrupt, especially in X5, where that stupid Pegasus fight is practically identical to Storm Eagle's and Duff McWhalen didn't even get his own level theme.

Ideally, I'd like some totally new kinds of Mega Man games. Another take on RPGs would be interesting.

Even something like Legends but even more towards the aesthetic and weapons of Classic with more modern mechanics might work. Or maybe a 3D MMX with lockon strafing, horizontal wall running and jumping, and Vanquish dashing.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The MM Zero Collection is the best value on the history of the DS. Period.

Top Bottom