• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

zeopower6

Haha, I'm not trolling, just trying to understand the reasons for washing your clothes so infrequently. Especially ones that are presumably meant to be top quality.

But the fact no-one has given an actual response so far speaks volumes.

It's one of those (raw/selvage) denim things. I guess it's to get a certain finish with the jean.... most of the people here have jeans that they haven't washed for months, I think.

This is going to be a silly question but the jeans that are rolled up slightly at the bottom. Does that work with any jeans or is it a type of style you can find at stores? Are people just buying longer lengths and rolling it up?

From the first page.
d718dc078819efa9e83691841a97a32a.jpg
The jeans in that photo are selvedge and typically that's the type of denim that people like to cuff. Of course, you can literally do it with anything.

A lot of guys just do it because they don't want to bother getting their jeans hemmed.

Going to do the 6 month wash on my N&Fs, is 30C in the washing machine correct? Should I put a washing capsule in or just water?
Just cold wash (inside out) and hang dry and you should be good. I'd use a little bit of detergent but don't go overboard.

I know it's a common thing, but I just find if pretty gross, to not wash your clothes at least every few times you wear them. And to possibly contemplate "washing" them without any soap is just pointless, might as well just wear them when it's raining.

Are expensive clothes so fragile that you can't even wash them normally? Seems like a QA issue to me.
For what it's worth, most raw denim is a much heavier weight than your standard pre-washed designer jean, and therefore, doesn't pick up odors nearly as easily as something like a t-shirt would.

I've hemmed jeans that were 4 years old and had never been washed, and they didn't smell nearly as bad as some other washed denim I've come across. It all depends on your lifestyle and how hard you're wearing them really.

they're called placement stripes, but often called 'single stripe', and I've seen them from band of outsiders and a couple other places on the higher-end

not sure your budget, but I have heard good things about tie bar, and they have a run of them called 'prodigy stripe'.

Thanks, would've never found that

y2dvd

I'm learning more about jeans in these past two pages than I ever knew lol. Do department stores advertise seveldge jeans or do I have to check the tags on it? What are some good department stores that I can find at the mall that sells them? I usually dislike buying clothes online and I have to try them on before purchase.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm learning more about jeans in these past two pages than I ever knew lol. Do department stores advertise seveldge jeans or do I have to check the tags on it? What are some good department stores that I can find at the mall that sells them? I usually dislike buying clothes online and I have to try them on before purchase.

Some do. Most stores probably carry some by now, I would imagine, I know GAP definitely has a line.

Most raw denim will be ruined that way though. Unless you can find hank dyed jeans I guess, but that's pretty rare.

I wash my APCs about every month. No problems here. Cold + woolite dark + inside out = fine. Ruined is pretty overblown.

Antagon

Some do. Most stores probably carry some by now, I would imagine, I know GAP definitely has a line.

I wash my APCs about every month. No problems here. Cold + woolite dark + inside out = fine. Ruined is pretty overblown.

I washed my first raws (Lvc) about every week or two and after half a year the color was ruined. Ended up looking like a really shitty stone wash.

zoozilla

Hello Fashion-GAF, complete beginner here.

Just want to know how many fashion laws I would break if I wore a brown long-sleeve t-shirt underneath a dark blue solid color flannel shirt, with the top two buttons undone.

It's a pretty thin flannel, so it feels weird to wear it without something underneath. Plus, my neck is pretty long, and I feel like having my upper chest exposed only makes it look longer. I don't think it looks terrible in the mirror, but I'm not a fashion man.

Am I doing it wrong?

NinjaBoiX

It's a fucking tightrope this denim washing malarkey.

I think Alucrid has it right, once a month sounds fair enough. A good balance. Twice a year simply sound unhygienic to me, particularly if you wash them without detergent.

Hello Fashion-GAF, complete beginner here.

Just want to know how many fashion laws I would break if I wore a brown long-sleeve t-shirt underneath a dark blue solid color flannel shirt, with the top two buttons undone.

It's a pretty thin flannel, so it feels weird to wear it without something underneath. Plus, my neck is pretty long, and I feel like having my upper chest exposed only makes it look longer. I don't think it looks terrible in the mirror, but I'm not a fashion man.

Am I doing it wrong?

don't live in fear, pop your chest bro

giga

I think Alucrid has it right, once a month sounds fair enough. A good balance. Twice a year simply sound unhygienic to me, particularly if you wash them without detergent.
I haven't washed my non-selvedge jeans in 6 months. They smell and look fine. You underestimate denim.

I have a pair of NF i bought 3 years ago, washed 2 times. Smells completely normal

I had a pair of N&F for 1.5 years only one wash. Smelled and looked fine.

I don't get this. A wash every 6 months? That's kind of disgusting. They must stink by that point, urgh.

If they're such good quality, why can't you wash them once a week like normal person jeans?

Edit: I just read again, you're questioning whether to use detergent as well? Are these jeans made out of discarded paper towels or something?

Lunacy.

LOL Good show.

If I ever buy a pair of selvidge jeans, I'll wash 'em like normal. Hate fades.
Most raw denim will be ruined that way though. Unless you can find hank dyed jeans I guess, but that's pretty rare.
I know guys that do this and they still look fine. Definitely won't last nearly as long as a pair or raw denim that is washed less frequently, but they can look okay from what I've seen.

Selvedge denim has definitely become a big seller over the past few years so more and more stores are advertising it and in some cases (Gap, J. Crew), even making their own. Of course, the easiest way to tell if it's selvedge or not (without labeling), is to just flip up the cuff and see if there's a selvedge lining.

selvedge-non-selvedge-denim.jpg.jpg

As you can see, on the selvedge pair, the stitching is closed whereas on the non-selvedge pair, the stitching is left open, which becomes very easy to break, and once it does, fall apart.

Once a month is fine. I think you'd be surprised with how well raw denim holds up after you start wearing it though.

i'd imagine you could find something similar from red wing, wolverine, clarks and co.

summer uniform

ralph lauren purple label shades, hanes tee, perry ellis-duckie brown jacket, levi something, poorly treated common projects, child bath curtain

NinjaBoiX

Lol at the jeans snob. Aren't Levi's like, synonymous with denim? I suppose they are priced for the Everyman.

Eww, Everyman clothes.

Again, I like the jacket mac. I always seem to like your jackets/coats. The trainers are pretty cool too.

Lol at the jeans snob. Aren't Levi's like, synonymous with denim? I suppose they are priced for the Everyman.

Eww, Everyman clothes.

Again, I like the jacket mac. I always seem to like your jackets/coats. The trainers are pretty cool too.

Once again you mistake snobbery for an eye for quality. Levis are synonymous with poor quality. The better everyman choice would have been carhartt or unbranded or uniqlo.

Once again you mistake snobbery for an eye for quality. Levis are synonymous with poor quality. The better everyman choice would have been carhartt or unbranded or uniqlo.
eh, they're cheap and have a nice washed grey color. plus 40% polyester means they'll have a little more resiliency than a pure short staple cotton weave!

NinjaBoiX

lol

They might not be absolutely top drawer, $1000, high fashion denim garments, but "poor quality"? Come on mane.

NinjaBoiX

lol

I just gave you three options that are the same price if not cheaper than levis that offer better quality.
Levi's are synonymous with denim, that's just a fact. Ask someone to say the first thing in their head after hearing that name and they'll say, "jeans" or "denim".

I'm not quite so convinced by your conclusion as I've had a number of pairs of Levi's over the years and they have all been decent quality.

And I wash mine a few times a month with detergent and everything.

Kraftwerk

Levi's are synonymous with denim, that's just a fact. Ask someone to say the first thing in their head after hearing that name and they'll say, "jeans" or "denim".

I'm not quite so convinced by your conclusion as I've had a number of pairs of Levi's over the years and they have all been decent quality.

And I wash mine a few times a month with detergent and everything.

Yeah, they are a mass market bran advertised to death. Obviously everyone knows the name.

I, too, have had many pairs of levi's over the years, but they disintegrate a lot quicker compared to my nicer jeans. They are available everywhere and accessible price-wise.

Nothing wrong with owning Levi's, but they are inferior in quality compared to a lot of other jean brands out there, Nothing "snobby" about this statement.

Now excuse me while I do some jeans shopping;

8Y4zt2vl.png

'sips congnac'

Top Bottom