• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have them and it's one of the better purchases I've made. Hated to toe shape every time in the past, but then my bf made me try them on and, well, it's an entirely different world once you see them on. Didn't hurt that they were steeply discounted at the time, hah.

Wear 'em with some skinnies cuffed to the top of the boot.

Went with Iron Rangers actually. Thanks.

Anyone tried the uniqlo j+ cashmere? Don't generally associate them with "higher" end prices and I didn't follow them when the line originally launched

dokish

Banned
When you guys say "winter jacket", what this usually means? Because I suppose winter is usually - 10 degrees and you can't walk outside with that.

What I'm seeing here is fall jackets, haha. Or something to use at home.

NinjaBoiX

When you guys say "winter jacket", what this usually means? Because I suppose winter is usually - 10 degrees and you can't walk outside with that.

Winters aren't that cold in the UK. The one I posted on the last page is plenty warm enough for these shores, the layers of material add up to about an inch thick.

I can't sit with it on indoors, put it that way.

Alucrid

Banned

i just forgot if we use Fahrenheit or Celsius over here

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
NrVKwvJ.jpg

Yay/nay?

overcast

I live in Southern California, it's going to be 90 on Thursday.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
the blazer or hoodie or is it some sort of weird combination?

The blazer. Hoodie is optional, but I'm not terribly fond of the combination blazer/hoodie.

Edit: those Y3 Qasa's from two pages back are baller, unfortunately I always seem to spot these things when they're already impossible to find.

The blazer. Hoodie is optional, but I'm not terribly fond of the combination blazer/hoodie.

Edit: those Y3 Qasa's from two pages back are baller, unfortunately I always seem to spot these things when they're already impossible to find.
Yeah I'm not a fan of the hoodie/blazer thing either. The blazer looks fine enough to me

Got in some clothes from Uniqlo and one of the shirts has three quarter inch sleeves. Not sure how but I have never had a shirt with them and it feels so wrong ;-;

What do you guys feel about TOPMAN's suits? I need a charcoal/navy suit for job interviews and they give a 20% student discount.
76% polyester? Yeesh. The price is right though. What kind of jobs are you interviewing for? You might be able to get away without a suit if you've got a nicely put together outfit. I work in tech in the States and I've never worn an actual suit to an interview.

Cromat

76% polyester? Yeesh. The price is right though. What kind of jobs are you interviewing for? You might be able to get away without a suit if you've got a nicely put together outfit. I work in tech in the States and I've never worn an actual suit to an interview.

I was basically told to wear a suit ('business') to this interview. Britain is the most formal country in the world I think.

Can you guys think of any other option?

if topman fits you well, I'd do that. 76% poly is kind of a bummer but they kinda fix it with viscose, which is generally drapey so you won't look like a stiff board.
Suggestions for winter jackets/outerwear around the $100 range?
at that price, look for poly-down like uniqlo etc. I'd think any sort of wool coat wouldn't be so great that that pricepoint (excluding discounted good)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Continuing to hunt for a black leather backpack. Have decided to up my budget to $350, which would put this Skagen in my range.

Can't find any reviews or info re: the quality of their leather, unfortunately. The black Barneys one is available again, so that's also an option. Looked into a few other somewhat reasonably priced brands (Zanerobe, Ben Minkoff, Haerfest, Cote & Ciel, etc) but there's always something I dislike about them. The C&C stuff in particular is pretty ridiculous looking.

So i'm going to a ball tomorrow night wearing a cream coloured 3 piece suit. Only thing is i'm just not sure on what colour to go with for my shirt/tie. I have quite a few combinations but it's difficult to know what to go with. Was thinking maybe a light blue colour for the shirt (i normally wear brighter stuff like a pink but i'm not sure how it would match with the suit in this case).

So i'm going to a ball tomorrow night wearing a cream coloured 3 piece suit. Only thing is i'm just not sure on what colour to go with for my shirt/tie. I have quite a few combinations but it's difficult to know what to go with. Was thinking maybe a light blue colour for the shirt (i normally wear brighter stuff like a pink but i'm not sure how it would match with the suit in this case).

You're three piece suit would look better if it was a two piece suit. Just saying.

without fondling the backpack in question (is it in seattle?), I've always found barney's house label to be pretty good for the money.

I wanna see what this cream colored suit looks like. is it at all shiny, has a pronounced texture, etc?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
without fondling the backpack in question (is it in seattle?), I've always found barney's house label to be pretty good for the money

The Barneys one has a sort of cross-hatching on the leather, apparently to make to more durable, but it has the side effect of also looking a tad plastic-y and not being as soft as I'd have expected.

oh, stamped saffiano? yeah, it will make things more scratch-resistant, but it does tend to make stuff feel plasticy before it gets worn in. doesn't really affect structural stability afaik

NinjaBoiX

Massive queue outside H&M this morning, peeps waiting to get in and buy stuff from this Alexander Wang collection.

The gear looks shite anyway, just really dull black garments with "WANG" embossed in massive letters.

Wangs...

rude

Banned
The Wang collection is literally composed of things anyone could've bought at a Nike or Underarmour store in the last several years. Wang can't think of an original thing to do to save his life, as per. Too bad nobody gives a fuck since it'll sell.

NinjaBoiX

The Wang collection is literally composed of things anyone could've bought at a Nike or Underarmour store in the last several years. Wang can't think of an original thing to do to save his life, as per. Too bad nobody gives a fuck since it'll sell.
That's just it, I was like "its just a plain old boring black top/t-shirt/hat with his name embossed on it, what's the point?"

You're just a walking advert for this guy and the fact that he apparently has no imagination.

Literally 7am, freezing cold, two hours before the store opens, queue round the block for some exceptionally dull clothes just because it says "WANG" on it.

I just thought, "you guys are fools..."

rude

Banned
i'm going to choose to believe that nobody really wants to wear wang that fervently. so i guess the collection has high resale value? those h&m collabs seems to sell out really quickly so I guess most people in line are trying to make a quick buck.

I'm in need of some advice when it comes to shoes/boots, and I thought this might be a good place to ask? I have gotten the impression from lurking that there are people in this thread who appreciate good quality and might know what brand(s) to go for.

I am looking for brown boots(?) in the vein of what's in the picture below, but maybe something a bit more rugged. I'd like the boots to be

- water resistant to at least some degree
- good quality that wont end up breaking after a year of use
- on a special note my feet get sweaty easily, so the boot preferably needs breathe well

What say you? Thanks in advance.

Antagon

Some popular options:

Red Wing Beckman / Gentleman Traveler
RedWingsBeckman.jpg

Red Wing Iron Rangers
08111amber-harness.png

Wolverine 1000 Mile
wolverine-1000-mile-boots-hypebeast-2.jpg

The quality of all of these are good. Not sure how well they breath though.

NinjaBoiX

Snazzy Fox just doesn't like it when I'm a nasty pasty to him because he can't take a joke and because fashion is serious business.

jesalr

I've got this dark ring around the top of my desert boots from where my jeans rub on them. Any way of evening that out?

shas'la

Continuing to hunt for a black leather backpack. Have decided to up my budget to $350, which would put this Skagen in my range.

Can't find any reviews or info re: the quality of their leather, unfortunately. The black Barneys one is available again, so that's also an option. Looked into a few other somewhat reasonably priced brands (Zanerobe, Ben Minkoff, Haerfest, Cote & Ciel, etc) but there's always something I dislike about them. The C&C stuff in particular is pretty ridiculous looking.
how about this ? http://www.cosstores.com/gb/Shop/Men/Accessories/Leather_and_mesh_backpack/46915-11981892.1#15062521

Was also going to suggest this until i read your whole post lol http://www.coteetciel.com/en-GB/isar-rucksack-m-coated-canvas

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

The Cos bag is mostly mesh, which isn't what I'm after, although the design is in line with my needs.

That C&C Isar is better than their other bags I'd looked at; the odd designs really don't lend themselves well to being photographed (I had to look at a youtube video before the way the bag works made any sense) and it doesn't help that they apparently make different sizes of many of the bag. The larger ones, which seem to be in most of the pics with people wearing them, look absurdly oversized, but the medium is supposedly fine for a smaller person. I still think the Nile bag is absolutely awful, fwiw.

Seems like they made a leather version of the Isar under the Alias line(?) but it's no longer available (and was also $700, yikes.)

Alucrid

Banned
heh someone who only wears rick told me the h&m x wang stuff was aight minus the logos

also always wanted some zb pants, might as well try them

FW14P001-%20TAILORED%20DNA%20PANTS%202.0%20-%20COTTON-BLACK%20(8)-350x531.jpg

nakedmac: Didn't you order meermins a while back? How are they?

Need a double monk and want these: https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=2338#

WWW_2338_159.png
I have two pairs

https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4288#

https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4216

and I think they're pretty ace overall. the former were ultrastiff at first, but have broken in nicely. the latter look a few wears to be comfortable but were then fine. quality is great for the price, and the shoes are well-balanced in terms of design. I plan on getting another pair to replace a captoe testoni studium pair. highly recommend them.

giga

Meermin has Parisian Gentleman seal of approval, that's a good sign.

I have two pairs

https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4288#

https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4216

and I think they're pretty ace overall. the former were ultrastiff at first, but have broken in nicely. the latter look a few wears to be comfortable but were then fine. quality is great for the price, and the shoes are well-balanced in terms of design. I plan on getting another pair to replace a captoe testoni studium pair. highly recommend them.
Lovely. How's the sizing compared to US sizes (AE specifically)? I'm hearing to just size down by 1.

Top Bottom