• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Robiin

Any good brands known for being small in size or brands that actually have a decent selection in xs (shirts and sweaters) or carry around 27/28 width in chinos?

Hero

my GAF-approved shoes came in the mail today

51LCy7v.jpg

I also took this pic just for fun

you're not wrong, but the dirt that's gonna cover these after a few weeks of use is gonna kill the clean look whether I adjust the laces or not.
Vans sells a water/stain blocking spray that works really well. I'd get the aerosol one, the liquid spray doesn't work quite as well.

there are also probably other sprays that do the same thing I just know the Vans one

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How to make Canada Goose high fashion:

CNyBij5.jpg

PnLHScf.jpg
LNq8nhf.jpg

Or how about a backpack?

2KinQBJ.jpg

acohrs

:-D:-D:-D

Massively oversized silhouettes are coming back in a big way, particularly for outerwear.

I will continue to wear my wetsuits.

I like oversized tees and khakis, not sure about other stuff though. Happy to see what's coming, but that CG jacket is ridiculous...

So are you supposed to dress up at an engagement party? Does it matter what season it is?

Going to one next week but I'm not sure if wearing a full suit and tie is overkill. It will be at the bride's home if that matters. I was thinking of wearing biz casual, maybe a thick cardigan with dress pants and shoes. Is that too lame?

Need your guys opinion.

I was given years go as a present a few J Crew classic pique polo shirts. They're all large, and irbr washed them in hot water and they slightly shrunk. Still a bit baggy in the sides.

Am I dumb to to take them to a tailor to get them more fitted? I would like to wear them still.

Would I be costly?

Thanks

Need your guys opinion.

I was given years go as a present a few J Crew classic pique polo shirts. They're all large, and irbr washed them in hot water and they slightly shrunk. Still a bit baggy in the sides.

Am I dumb to to take them to a tailor to get them more fitted? I would like to wear them still.

Would I be costly?

Thanks

You'd need to ask a tailor how much it would cost.

Zekes!

Gonna need to take advantage of some end of season deals and find myself some new jeans.

My go to's have been Levi's Made and Crafted but they're not widely out there. Been snagging them on sale from SSense and East Dane. My favourite pair just got a small hole in the crotch, which I can repair, but still.

lenovox1

Alright. The sleeves are a little long, too.

Expect around $30 a shirt.

So are you supposed to dress up at an engagement party? Does it matter what season it is?

Going to one next week but I'm not sure if wearing a full suit and tie is overkill. It will be at the bride's home if that matters. I was thinking of wearing biz casual, maybe a thick cardigan with dress pants and shoes. Is that too lame?

It should say in the invitation. If it doesn't, the venue will guide the formality.

Home engagement parties are typically casual affairs. Dress comfortably, but put together. Be as reflective of the bride and groom's personally style and formality level as you can assume.

Basically, this is something you can wear jeans to if you'd like.

Expect around $30 a shirt.

It should say in the invitation. If it doesn't, the venue will guide the formality.

Home engagement parties are typically casual affairs. Dress comfortably, but put together. Be as reflective of the bride and groom's personally style and formality level as you can assume.

Basically, this is something you can wear jeans to if you'd like.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Yeah this invitation didnt come with a dress code so I assumed it could be a bit more casual.

I was thinking of wearing an outfit similar to this. Maybe with a pair of nice jeans instead of dress pants. Yay? Nay?

entremet

Speaking of winter, any of you guys know of some of good looking loungewear options?

This damn cold is keeping me indoors, but I have that frumpy look of sweats.

Are there any labels that make affordable and modern looking stuff?

I got my supima cotton t-shirt from uniqlo, it fits reasonably well. there's definitely some unnecessary fabric there but it's whatever. i don't know where else to buy XS t-shirts from.

Lotto

I got my supima cotton t-shirt from uniqlo, it fits reasonably well. there's definitely some unnecessary fabric there but it's whatever. i don't know where else to buy XS t-shirts from.

what do you mean by unnecessary fabric?

uniqlo is my personal favorite for basic tees (apparently their quality changed though? haven't bought any tees from them since last winter) but these are good brands for XS dudes too imo, (talking strictly about tees, although the other articles are probably not so bad either.)

https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-all
https://www.grana.com/men.html
http://www.muji.us/store/men-s-wear.html

good quality for the price, good fits, and not completely 'fast fashion' afaik (if that matters to you.)

what do you mean by unnecessary fabric?

uniqlo is my personal favorite for basic tees (apparently their quality changed though? haven't bought any tees from them since last winter) but these are good brands for XS dudes too imo, (talking strictly about tees, although the other articles are probably not so bad either.)

https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-all
https://www.grana.com/men.html
http://www.muji.us/store/men-s-wear.html

good quality for the price, good fits, and not completely 'fast fashion' afaik (if that matters to you.)

what I mean is, it is a little boxier than it could be. uniqlo has changed the fit and material of their basic tees since last winter and a lot of people think they got worse as a result since the fit isn't as good on most people. I never owned one of their older tees but those people are probably right when they say it's worse.

I'll definitely look into those brands you suggested, $16 for a t-shirt from everlane isn't a bad price at all if they're good quality.

giga

fyi: steven alan has 25% off (25forall) + 15% off for new customers (welcome2016), bringing low top CPs down to around 260. they have CP chelseas too but i don't care for the cemented crepe sole.

what I mean is, it is a little boxier than it could be. uniqlo has changed the fit and material of their basic tees since last winter and a lot of people think they got worse as a result since the fit isn't as good on most people. I never owned one of their older tees but those people are probably right when they say it's worse.

I'll definitely look into those brands you suggested, $16 for a t-shirt from everlane isn't a bad price at all if they're good quality.
Everlane is great quality, I'm wearing their cashmere hoodie right now. When I got their tshirts when they first came out they were super long though, but they may have also changed that.

FStop7

Banned
fyi: steven alan has 25% off (25forall) + 15% off for new customers (welcome2016), bringing low top CPs down to around 260. they have CP chelseas too but i don't care for the cemented crepe sole.

Thank you, that saved me a couple hundred bucks.

NinjaBoiX

Just bought myself an early Christmas present:

Timberland Adventure 2.0 Cupsole Chelsea boots:
gipCHkw.jpg

First pair of Chelsea boots and as close as I really like to get to "shoes".

Thanks, those look perfect.

I'm trying to get a pair for presents for my brother and my sister-in-law, I'm wondering if it would be too weird to get her a scarf made by a menswear designer though. I know scarves are supposed to unisex, but would that be okay?

This is probably super sexist of me to say but I think your sister would probably appreciate a softer scarf than what that site sells. Shouldn't be hard to find a women's scarf online though, they're much more available.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Looking for some input on a briefcase.

For a long while, I've had a Filson messenger bag I use for work - it's great. Holds up like a champ and carries a bunch of stuff. But in the last year, my job has moved up a bit in "prestige"(sounds so douchey - don't mean it that way), and now I'm pretty much exclusively speaking with C-level folks in hospitals - CEOs, CFOs, etc. And, well, the bag I'm using is just way out of place and contrasts a good bit with my M2M suits, nice watches, welted shoes, etc.

Thing is, for the last six months, I've been eyeballing every major maker in the space: Lotuff, Frank Clegg, Filson, Barbour, Swaine Adeney, J.W Hulme, Ghurka, Coach, Hermes, etc, etc - and every store - Brooks Brothers, local shops, J.Crew, Mr. Porter, etc, etc.

Thing is, there's been nothing I've fallen in love with - and I just can't will myself to spend $1,000 (or a lot more) on a bag. At least, not right now. Too many other wants on the list.

Anyway, fast forward and I saw someone wearing a new Tumi backpack at a conference the other day, and I loved it. I immediately hopped online and saw it's part of a set:

26516EG2_main_T

26516EG2_alt3

I really love the looks of this. It would match all my suits (navy, gray, black). It seems like it would be fine year round. I like that it's small and structured (stand on its own).

But I have concerns about quality. I feel like Tumi is nothing more than a "fashion" brand, and in two years the bag will look like shit. Comments? Thoughts?

EVOL 100%

This is probably super sexist of me to say but I think your sister would probably appreciate a softer scarf than what that site sells. Shouldn't be hard to find a women's scarf online though, they're much more available.

Yeah, I just decided to go with Ralph Lauren, they seem to be of decent quality without breaking the bank.

That designer that you recommended is pretty dope though, might get something from them for myself later on

Top Bottom