• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Windam

Scaley member
Hi GAF, first time poster here. My hair is a mess. It's long, and a pain to style. It's this weird not-straight-not-curly-but-kinda-wavy hair. All the pictures I took out came blurred, but here's one of the top of my head (unstyled) anyway:
6HgcOpA.jpg
Any suggestions on a good style? I want something like this:
harvey-specter-suits-32752351-245-350.png

:( Right now I use American Crew Fibre to style my hair.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hi GAF, first time poster here. My hair is a mess. It's long, and a pain to style. It's this weird not-straight-not-curly-but-kinda-wavy hair. All the pictures I took out came blurred, but here's one of the top of my head (unstyled) anyway:
Any suggestions on a good style? I want something like this:
harvey-specter-suits-32752351-245-350.png

:( Right now I use American Crew Fibre to style my hair.

If you want that cut, most of us will suggest that you get pictures of it at different angles and bring it to a salon or barber. Also, Harvey's hair doesn't look very 'dry' in the show. Switch to a strong hold pomade if you want the hold and a bit of shine.

As far as styles I suggest, I like either short sides/long top or straight up messy shoulder length hair. There are a few people here with more interest in variety than me though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just got back from a week in Mykonos and my god, if I never see another undercut in my life it will be too soon. There were a ton of Italians vacationing on the island and literally EVERY. SINGLE. GUY had an undercut. I used to see it here and there in NYC and it looked fine, but seeing so many dudes wearing it just completely killed it for me. Most of them didn't even wear it very well, and when it looks bad it looks bad.

Having said that I need to find a new hairstyle - the Don Draper isn't really doing it for me anymore. I'm thinking maybe the Robin Thicke? It does straddle the line very closely to the undercut though...

Hi, hairGAF. First time hairman here.

Apologies for fuzzy picture.
V4LlHrm.jpg

Anyway, I've always had my hair cut at a salon and I used to keep it quite long, like ~12cm at least.
Decided to go with something shorter this time and I'm enjoying it.
Thing is, how can I consistently keep my hair swept back like this? I think I'd like to order something from UK amazon as I'm not quite confident on the selection available in my country. Currently I'm wearing some hairspray which loses its edge over the day and I end up looking like a doofus because of it.
Also, I hate hair gels because they make my hair super heavy and... crunchy? I don't know.
So that leaves me with wax, I guess.

I got a bad haircut the other day. The lady started off good, but I wanted it a bit shorter on the sides, so she started to trim, but went a little too high. So my hair was like really short all the way to up till the top of my head, then got long. No blending or anything.. I have such a hard time describing to people how I want my hair. Anyways, I went home and buzzed it all off right after the haircut. Took me awhile to grow into it, but I'm digging the short cut!

Like, I don't want the sides of my hair to be one length, I want it to gradually get longer till it gets to the top, but fucking blended in. Does that make any sense?

Windam

Scaley member
If you want that cut, most of us will suggest that you get pictures of it at different angles and bring it to a salon or barber. Also, Harvey's hair doesn't look very 'dry' in the show. Switch to a strong hold pomade if you want the hold and a bit of shine.

As far as styles I suggest, I like either short sides/long top or straight up messy shoulder length hair. There are a few people here with more interest in variety than me though.

I use the American Crew Pomade with a strong hold hairspray when my hair is shorter, but it doesn't work so well when my hair is this length. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll try to find more pictures where it shows his hair from the side.

Gaf, I have no idea what I'm doing with my hair. Just letting it grow and grow at this point.. Straightened in this picture, usually thick and wavy as hell.

I think that looks really good, but I love styles like that.

overcast

Use a round brush then while blow drying pull the hair up, back, and to the side. You've probably seen it in videos before but never noticed it.
I need to try this too. I'm due for a cut pretty soon, but until then I might take advantage of the length and do some fun stuff.

kaskade

I just realized it's been about 2 months since my last cut. Honestly I probably needed to wait that long to do something along the lines of what I posted up top. My sides needed to grow in.

overcast

Can't decide whether I want to cut the sides heavily (buzz almost) and leave the top pretty thick. Or make the whole thing short and tight so I can do less, but keep it easy.

On a suggestion from a co-worker I picked up Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner. I'd been looking for a better leave-in conditioner than the spray on stuff I used from Aveeno, and she said she'd been using it for years with great results. I like it, it definitely does a better job keeping frizz under control. I didn't even have to put any product in my hair today.

Care to recommend any good brands to try next time? I'm always willing to experiment until I get it right, plus with longer hair I need all the advice I can get.

Scuderia

So i usually just go into the local barbers (He's a kid i went to school with) and get a quick short back and sides cut for £5. Pretty much fed up with it now, so i'm thinking of growing it out a few weeks, then going into a proper salon style place and just giving them creative freedom with it.

This a good thing to do? I've not a clue what i want, and i'm not really sure what would work for my head.

Got a hair transplant yesterday. Very excited to see the results in a few months. No baldness in my family but receding hairlines to different degrees. Had to wear my hair longer than I like to cover up my giant forehead. Looking forward to wearing it a bit shorter and just not worrying about it anymore. Gonna take pics throughout to show the progress. Maybe I'll post some here.

So i usually just go into the local barbers (He's a kid i went to school with) and get a quick short back and sides cut for £5. Pretty much fed up with it now, so i'm thinking of growing it out a few weeks, then going into a proper salon style place and just giving them creative freedom with it.

This a good thing to do? I've not a clue what i want, and i'm not really sure what would work for my head.

I wouldnt go and just say " Make it look better"
From what I can tell, your average barber/ salon woman will not go mad trying to please you and you may end up with somethng you dont like and will feel pissed off you paid £25+ to Tony and Guy.

Go through the thread, get some pics and say "well I was thinking XYZ" and they will atleast be able to advise you and then give you options. Like you may have hair that is too straight or maybe a stupid double crown like me so it makes some stuff near impossible. Otherwise you could end up with anything!

I go to a barbers myself as after a couple of years of paying £20 to a few diffrent places, I found I got a much better short cut at the barbers. Now Ive been going enough that I know I can trust 3 or the 4 people working here to do a great job.

Just last night I stopped by 15mins before closing, just wanting a trim on the sides guy in there was happy to even though he had just cleaned up, ready to close!

Got a hair transplant yesterday. Very excited to see the results in a few months. No baldness in my family but receding hairlines to different degrees. Had to wear my hair longer than I like to cover up my giant forehead. Looking forward to wearing it a bit shorter and just not worrying about it anymore. Gonna take pics throughout to show the progress. Maybe I'll post some here.

interested to see how this turns out.

Oh my god, I'm so glad this thread exists. I've been trying to figure out what to do with my son's crazy thick hair (he's only five and doesn't give any fucks, but I do) and since I know zero about men's hair (the hubs is balding), this is really helpful. Usually I'm just all, 'uh, cut it short, you know, everywhere, I guess.' Now I think I can go in armed with some knowledge.

Ketch

I had a bird's nest in my hair today. No pics, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Pretty fucking gross though, felt like rats.

Kraftwerk

My hair becomes progressively more dry through the day. I want some good quality shampoo & conditioner combo that would make my hair nice and soft.

Any recommendations?

Top Bottom