• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Tom_Cody

prUjUKx.jpg

Got a trim a few days ago.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This could end up being a dangerous road to go down (hah!) but I just started casually dating a guy who works at one of the big, fancy downtown salons and he's giving me free cuts and products already. Will post a pic later after I get home, but yeah, I definitely love what he did with my hair this morning.

UraMallas

Just got these hairs cut:

I'm thinking of going shorter on the sides next time but I do like the idea of slicking the sides back a bit when it grows. I have an appointment in three weeks and it's right before my bday so I wouldn't mind a suggestion if someone thinks I can do something muted but unique with my hair.

Jeez Im going ot the barber nearly every two weeks at this point.
Gotta have that 1.5 shaved feel on the sides haha. unfortunatly the best barber in the place I go to, who knows what I like and gives me discounts is moving to New Zealand on monday.

I HATE having to find a new guy, maybe the one that came before him will come back..

Tom_Cody is one of the few none models that seem to be able to pull off that cut, the lucky bastard.

Joe

guys. GUYS.

i just found out about leave-in conditioners.

Leave in conditioners work, much like a facial moisturizer, by nourishing your hair. These types of conditioners are not rinsed out and can also help add a bit of manageability to the hair as well as protecting it from the sun (look for one with a sunscreen). Many guys believe their hair behaves better the day after a shampoo and a leave in conditioner can give the same manageability while allowing you to shampoo every day.

this could be huge for me.

So I started to shampoo twice a week instead of everyday and now after a couple weeks it seems like my dandruff is getting to extreme levels. Any remedies for this?

Joe

I use apple cider vinegar for my itchy/flaky scalp.

I mix ACV and water 50/50 in a spray bottle, spray my scalp as best as possible, rub it good, let it sit for 10 minutes then shampoo it out. I also condition after.

If you did that before the two times a week you shampoo i think you'd be in good shape.

ACV works better for my scalp than any product I've ever tried.

Loxley

So... I'm growing out my hair.

Good or bad idea?
Depends on a few things, you're hair type (thick, thin, curly, wavy, straight, etc) how long you want to grow it out, and how much you might be potentially willing to spend to keep it maintained. Some people's hair just doesn't look that great when it's longer, whether it's because it doesn't lay right or it grows in weird directions - really the only way to find out is by doing it.

I've made a few attempts to grow my hair out over the last four or so years, and every time I do it I always learn something new about the process. My current attempt is probably the one where I'll finally get it to the length I want. I'm still probably a good five or six months away from ultimately reaching said length, but it's getting there.

Depends on a few things, you're hair type (thick, thin, curly, wavy, straight, etc) how long you want to grow it out, and how much you might be potentially willing to spend to keep it maintained. Some people's hair just doesn't look that great when it's longer, whether it's because it doesn't lay right or it grows in weird directions - really the only way to find out is by doing it.

I've made a few attempts to grow my hair out over the last four or so years, and every time I do it I always learn something new about the process. My current attempt is probably the one where I'll finally get it to the length I want. I'm still probably a good five or six months away from ultimately reaching said length, but it's getting there.

I've had long hair before...kinda gets wavy. Idk, I'm just a little tired of undercuts for some reason.

I shampoo once every two weeks now (sometimes three) and the day that I do is just the worst. My hair feels like shit and has very little styling control. I'm sure some of that is attributed to my shampoo but overall I think it shows that for my type of hair the no shampoo experiment has been one of the best things I've tried in a long time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I need to do this no shampoo experiment at some point. I shampoo every day and my hair styles exactly the way I want it, so I see no reason to change up my routine right now.

I shampoo once every two weeks now (sometimes three) and the day that I do is just the worst. My hair feels like shit and has very little styling control. I'm sure some of that is attributed to my shampoo but overall I think it shows that for my type of hair the no shampoo experiment has been one of the best things I've tried in a long time.

Pretty much the same. I only really shampoo now if ive had a particularly heavy night out dancing etc till 6 am and sweating out like mad. Even then its more just to feel "cleaner".

Holy shit once every 2 weeks? And you just wash product out of your hair with water?

Telling you guys if you shampoo regularly first of all get a good one with a nice conditioner. Then when you get out spray some bumble and bumble tonic and it's like your hair is just amazing.

Even no shampoo can't compete with it.

Cut would look even better with a more defined part. Outside of that though I think it looks great.

Holy shit once every 2 weeks? And you just wash product out of your hair with water?
Yep. The pomade I'm using right now washes out real easily. I usually take two showers a day though so my hair still gets a lot of rinsing.

Alrix

Sup gaf. Hair newb here desperate for advice.

What I'm currently working with:

Normally I'd just get a trim or a layer or something, but I'm kinda tired of keeping it this length. Wanna go for something shorter, but not too short. I'm a fan of the gosling look a bunch of gaffers have posted, but not sure how I'd ask for it or how i'd style it, or if it would even work on my big head. Never used any products really, so I'm a newb there too. You guys seem to know what you're talking about, so some input would be awesome. thx hair gaf.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Sup gaf. Hair newb here desperate for advice.

I would keep the facial hair and go for a nice side part. You mentioned liking the Gosling look, but I would recommend going shorter on the sides because of the type of hair you have. His hair seems very thin, and looks like it could be matted down for the day on water alone. Your's looks a bit more like what I deal with.

I would go for this:

4fc224fef6bd28dd0dab540e394b75ad.jpg

knicks

I started using Minoxidil for the past 2 months and it has fucked my hair so badly.

Minoxidil is Rogaine for those of you not familiar. Anyone have success with this hair loss drug?

Has anyone got any links to some more "classic" cuts? I have an interview this time next week and Im trying to hold off getting a cut till as close to the day as possible.

Just thinking if I show up with something super modern plus my much needed stuble/beard it might not do me any favours. Aslong as its short on the sides (too many greyas coming through) Im open to anything..

Pocks

Good to have you on board. Totally agree with your sentiment on the afterwash feeling. It's terrible.

Telling you guys if you shampoo regularly first of all get a good one with a nice conditioner. Then when you get out spray some bumble and bumble tonic and it's like your hair is just amazing.

Even no shampoo can't compete with it.

You're probably right, but like I mentioned earlier, I do it mostly out of laziness. That it looks good and draws compliments are a welcomed side effect, though.

What shampoo / conditioner do you use?

daemonic

Banned
I started using Minoxidil for the past 2 months and it has fucked my hair so badly.

Minoxidil is Rogaine for those of you not familiar. Anyone have success with this hair loss drug?

How so? Apparently if you experience a lot of shedding it means the follicles are reacting and new hair will regrow in the next cycle. It just takes time.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I see that cut quite a bit but as of now I can't think of what else to do to it, hmm

Someone in here once mentioned that it would be hard for this style to come under fire because of it's popularity, just because it is actually a classic cut rather than some new trend.

Kind of in the same way that medium length messy hairstyles never really get made fun of, because they have been in popularity since the late 60's. I am really happy about the resurgence of barber style haircuts. It's a really clean look.

Dayum.

BTW, I've moved from using no shampoo at all to using the classic baking soda + apple vinegar combo. Feels just like no shampoo and eliminates dandruff. I also might try B&B Tonic but an 8oz bottle is like $40 here...

What is this and what does it do? Home made?

friday

No washing works great for me too. Now that the air is dry i can easily go two weeks without washing. Best thing is once the natural oils are in place I don't need product to help part my hair. Sounds gross but my hair is not oily at all. Good water pressure in the shower really helps with this too.

I think I finally want to grow my hair out, but I hate how messy the sides and back get after a few months. Is there anything a barber can do to help me control things while I wait out the awkward length period?

PotatoCat

Anyone tried Hanz de Fuko's Pomade and Scheme Cream? Im currently using their new Claymation and i love it but it says its good mixed with other Hanz de Fuko products so i wanna try that.

My hair is thick, black, asian hair cut into a side swept undercut.

Rehynn

What is this and what does it do? Home made?

You just put a large spoonful of baking soda in a cup of water, pour it in an empty shower gel bottle or something, and shake it well before use. It cleans your scalp without getting rid of the natural oils in your hair.

The apple vinegar serves as a conditioner, you don't have to rub it in your scalp. It's better than regular vinegar because it doesn't really have a smell.

Top Bottom