• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't people just stop taking sides in a make believe war over electronics and just try to enjoy discussing the hobby they have in common? 🤷‍♂️
You and I both know that's never going to happen, so why not try to mitigate the issues that arise from console warring by trying out something new like an actual memorandum of understanding between the two communities?

I don't think any forum that I know of have ever tried to do something about the console wars and just left it as it is without considering the effects it has on the rest of thr gaming forum discussions.

I'm not making a ruse over here, it's an actual concept that I've had in my mind for months but never thought it was necessary until now. It's getting too toxic to the point where any platform related thread turns into a console war.

This sounds like it's already been like this forever, but I honestly think GAF is in a unique position compared to other gaming forums where they can actually control the situation in unique ways.

Gaming forums often segregate platform populations and discussions. I’ve never been a fan of that since it makes people insular and unable to handle debate with different worldviews.
I completely agree and that's why I'm suggesting a different approach rather than segregate the communities.

I'm still conceptualizing my proposal of a memorandum of understanding, but I can still share some idea about it:
  • Since there is the reality that GAF has an Xbox and PlayStation community, as unofficial as that may sound, acknowledging it would be the first step in my proposal.
  • After this acknowledgement, prominent and respected members of both communities could officially represent themselves as 'ambassadors' of their communities. Now I know this may sound odd, but let me explain the rationale behind it.
  • When both communities have a select number of 'ambassadors', both will have to be accountable for the actions of their community members. For example, instead of the mods doing all the leg work by moderating for aggressive console warring, the ambassadors can keep a strong grip on their community members and become self-vigilant instead of just reporting the user and waiting for mod actions only.
  • This is one of the ideas I have for the proposal of a memorandum of understanding, but my biggest idea for it is creating a written understanding that's proposed, discussed, and ultimately acknowledged by both communities. This charter can involves something like a "Do's/Don't's" where a set of principles of discussion can be created and acknowledged by both parties.
  • I'm not suggesting we don't allow discussions between the two communities with regards to their opinions on their platforms, but doing it with an underlying sense of sensibility/reasonable discussions. Not necessarily high-brow discussions, but rather avoiding hot takes that are factually invalid and so forth.
  • Having official representatives/ambassadors from both communities can encourage console competition to continue alà Next-Gen Thread. At the same time, can discourage console warring attacks on threads that are mainly and neutral towards a specific platform (e.g. Xbox Game Pass monthly games, PS Plus games for June/July/Etc.)
  • Discussions between both communities in threads that are primed for discussions from different viewpoints will always exist and rightfully so. With that being said, some threads don't warrant then to turn into a contentious discussion between both parties and allows some breathing space for one community to discuss the topic of hand among themselves without one derailing the thread in an act of console superiority.
  • All of this is definitely subjective and I really want as much feedback as possible regarding it. It's been on my mind for months, but never had the courage or hope to even bring it up until now.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I completely agree and that's why I'm suggesting a different approach rather than segregate the communities.

I'm still conceptualizing my proposal of a memorandum of understanding, but I can still share some idea about it:
  • Since there is the reality that GAF has an Xbox and PlayStation community, as unofficial as that may sound, acknowledging it would be the first step in my proposal.
  • After this acknowledgement, prominent and respected members of both communities could officially represent themselves as 'ambassadors' of their communities. Now I know this may sound odd, but let me explain the rationale behind it.
  • When both communities have a select number of 'ambassadors', both will have to be accountable for the actions of their community members. For example, instead of the mods doing all the leg work by moderating for aggressive console warring, the ambassadors can keep a strong grip on their community members and become self-vigilant instead of just reporting the user and waiting for mod actions only.
  • This is one of the ideas I have for the proposal of a memorandum of understanding, but my biggest idea for it is creating a written understanding that's proposed, discussed, and ultimately acknowledged by both communities. This charter can involves something like a "Do's/Don't's" where a set of principles of discussion can be created and acknowledged by both parties.
  • I'm not suggesting we don't allow discussions between the two communities with regards to their opinions on their platforms, but doing it with an underlying sense of sensibility/reasonable discussions. Not necessarily high-brow discussions, but rather avoiding hot takes that are factually invalid and so forth.
  • Having official representatives/ambassadors from both communities can encourage console competition to continue alà Next-Gen Thread. At the same time, can discourage console warring attacks on threads that are mainly and neutral towards a specific platform (e.g. Xbox Game Pass monthly games, PS Plus games for June/July/Etc.)
  • Discussions between both communities in threads that are primed for discussions from different viewpoints will always exist and rightfully so. With that being said, some threads don't warrant then to turn into a contentious discussion between both parties and allows some breathing space for one community to discuss the topic of hand among themselves without one derailing the thread in an act of console superiority.
  • All of this is definitely subjective and I really want as much feedback as possible regarding it. It's been on my mind for months, but never had the courage or hope to even bring it up until now.

WHY ARE YOU TALKING LIKE THERE'S ONLY TWO PLATFORMS. THERE ARE 16 OF US IN NINTENDO GAF

Nymphae

Banned
Care to share why you find it funny, Nymphae Nymphae ?

I just find it amusing that I take shit for putting a couple of annoying users on my ignore list because I'm weak minded or something, but we need memorandums of understanding, special boy ambassadors for each side of the "war" who are to be held in some way accountable for other's shitposting (lol), a set of do's and don'ts beyond the basic forum ToS, because people post things that trigger some people. Let the mods take care of shitty behaviour and just try to post well with others who are doing the same.

I just find it amusing that I take shit for putting a couple of annoying users on my ignore list because I'm weak minded or something, but we need memorandums of understanding, special boy ambassadors for each side of the "war" who are to be held in some way accountable for other's shitposting (lol), a set of do's and don'ts beyond the basic forum ToS, because people post things that trigger some people. Let the mods take care of shitty behaviour and just try to post well with others who are doing the same.
Thanks for the feedback.

Waiting to see what others say about this though if you don't mind :)

Nymphae

Banned
Waiting to see what others say about this though if you don't mind

Just adding my two cents because you asked. Like I said, I don't really see the issue in my experience personally, I go into threads for games I like and discuss them with other people, I generally don't see a lot of "console warring", and when I do see someone obviously baiting in a thread with a stupid comment, I don't give it the time of day. I feel like people who complain about console warring are probably active participants. I don't care about the console war and thus don't really see much of it here.

Just adding my two cents because you asked. Like I said, I don't really see the issue in my experience personally, I go into threads for games I like and discuss them with other people, I generally don't see a lot of "console warring", and when I do see someone obviously baiting in a thread with a stupid comment, I don't give it the time of day. I feel like people who complain about console warring are probably active participants. I don't care about the console war and thus don't really see much of it here.
I still think console warring can be done in a much better way, and I tend to incline towards the perspective that console warriors are no different than sports fans. And I firmly believe that acknowledging this reality would make things a lot better on any gaming forum. Segregation is a no-no and that's why I find GAF more unique than other forums because they allow those kinds of discussions between both communities freely but tightly when needed.

I'm just suggesting an extra approach, not a new one.

Nymphae

Banned
I still think console warring can be done in a much better way, and I tend to incline towards the perspective that console warriors are no different than sports fans

I think they are quite different. I can understand the friendly rivalries that occur between people who follow different sportsball teams. And yeah sure, sometimes people take that way too far, but in general, ideally, you both follow a different team and you maybe ball bust each other about your respective teams's foibles or what not, bad trades, whatever.

But I have never understood console warring, I've never seen it's idealized form - it's not the same thing to me, it's doesn't feel like friendly ball busting, it always feels mean spirited and petty, it's about superiority of consumer choices. They're not set up as rival teams - they are competing consumer product corporations - picking a side to be on is retarded to begin with.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Gaming forums often segregate platform populations and discussions. I’ve never been a fan of that since it makes people insular and unable to handle debate with different worldviews.
I've never even a big fan of that either, but what about a dedicated free for all "System Wars" thread? Theoretically it might help contain the craziness and prevent other threads from being derailed.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You and I both know that's never going to happen, so why not try to mitigate the issues that arise from console warring by trying out something new like an actual memorandum of understanding between the two communities?
The problem with this approach is that there is no lack of understanding. Understanding of what? Other people value other things in games or consoles than I do? If people really lack this fundamental level of understanding, their issues are manyfold, and being a shit-tier poster on a gaming forum is the least of them. People should just reflect a bit on their behaviour and realise that console warring is stupid, especially since, as opposed to football teams, there is no reason (outside of lacking funds) you cannot use both systems. if you are a fan of two football teams, they may play against each other, but this will not happen with consoles. People seem to ascribe self-worth to exclusivity, sales performance and technical performance of (games on their) consoles (of choice), which is just stupid and annoying for every other poster.

The problem with this approach is that there is no lack of understanding. Understanding of what? Other people value other things in games or consoles than I do? If people really lack this fundamental level of understanding, their issues are manyfold, and being a shit-tier poster on a gaming forum is the least of them. People should just reflect a bit on their behaviour and realise that console warring is stupid, especially since, as opposed to football teams, there is no reason (outside of lacking funds) you cannot use both systems. if you are a fan of two football teams, they may play against each other, but this will not happen with consoles. People seem to ascribe self-worth to exclusivity, sales performance and technical performance of (games on their) consoles (of choice), which is just stupid and annoying for every other poster.
Fair enough, maybe the memorandum is a bit too much and may get laughed at for even existing.

I'm doing my own self-reflection and figuring out why I'm also part of the problem too.

Tesseract

Banned
Fair enough, maybe the memorandum is a bit too much and may get laughed at for even existing.

I'm doing my own self-reflection and figuring out why I'm also part of the problem too.
source.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

That's a lot of effort for a problem that's only so much of a "problem" due to people acting like children and succumbing to groupthink and tribal behavior. Don't legitimize this behavior.

That's a lot of effort for a problem that's only so much of a "problem" due to people acting like children and succumbing to groupthink and tribal behavior. Don't legitimize this behavior.
I'm not legitimizing it. I'm only proposing a hypothetical situation where it can be mitigated because the reality, as I said, is this exists and will continue to exist.

With that being said, I'll pull away from this train of thought and focus on myself first.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t want to say too much, because if I hear the word ‘console warrior’ come out of my mouth on more time, my eyes are going to involuntarily roll. I presume you guys feel the same. Too much is too much, regardless of the point being made.

I would personally tweak MHK’s idea. It would be interesting to see a post reminding console warriors (yeah, sorry, lol) that they have far more in common than they do anything else. That friends can be made, interesting discussion had, fun instead of endless aggression. The problem with console warriors is that they create other console warriors. Maybe if someone puts out a call for sanity, and rejects all the accrued feuds, slights, and nonsense, it could get through.

I don’t know about designating leaders, but there’s a really good point there. Console warriors are more likely to listen to their friends, and esteemed people in their community, than anyone else.

So, if you see somebody you know begin to chase a console war opportunity?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

But seriously, I think that there’s merit to these ideas, and if the community works to maybe rehabilitate some of these console warriors, and call out stuff that’s inappropriate, who knows what could happen? In conjunction with shaming for this kind of thing, you’re effectively constantly nudging them toward non-Mom’s-basement behavior.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom