• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Under islamic name doesn't make it "islamic" .. So shall I associate all those killings done by christians and jews to their religions? Thats fucking stupid
It is not the same whether someone kills someone and happens to be a follower of a certain religion (but kills for unrelated reasons) or whether someone kills explicitly because of his (understanding of his) religion.

That being said, while I think @hariseldon 's statement is fine (and your rebuttal is flawed), I do think that it is not a difference inherent to the teachings of Islam. Based on their main texts, I think that Islam is comparable in disgusting content to Christianity, though indeed if I had to rank the three text, I'd say the Quran is slightly more compatible with modern values than new testament which is much more compatible than old testament. All three have their fair share of godawful stuff in them.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It is not the same whether someone kills someone and happens to be a follower of a certain religion (but kills for unrelated reasons) or whether someone kills explicitly because of his (understanding of his) religion.

That being said, while I think @hariseldon 's statement is fine (and your rebuttal is flawed), I do think that it is not a difference inherent to the teachings of Islam. Based on their main texts, I think that Islam is comparable in disgusting content to Christianity, though indeed if I had to rank the three text, I'd say the Quran is slightly more compatible with modern values than new testament which is much more compatible than old testament. All three have their fair share of godawful stuff in them.

Jesus is regarded as one of the prophets in Islam so you'd expect some influence, but fundamentally the main influence is a warlord, and you can reasonably expect that the content would be warlike - remember that the quoran is based primarily on the old testament (as the Torah is basically old testament - the new testament is the hippy happy clappy stuff that moderates Christianity into an acceptable religion with God a very different character) but the Hadith substantially change the character of Islamic thought. Additionally, while most Christians take something of a smorgasbord approach to the bible (for instance they tend to skip an eye for an eye and not touching anything touched by a woman on her period) in Islam the Quoran is considered to be the literal word of god and you don't get a choice about accepting it - this drives the existence of political Islam and is why my colleague is a supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood, for instance.

As to Mista Mista 's point on whether a thing is Islamic - consider when I arrived on GAF I would protest that the actions of the insane SJW left were not the true left but a sect that had taken over (the creature wearing the left’s skin). I have since connected the dots and realised that actually it's a logical extension of the left taken to its extreme. The same must be said of Islam. If Islam was not a fundamental characteristic of terrorist activity you would see other religions causing the same problems found in Southern Thailand, the Phillippines, etc, but it isn't.

If white people were killing people and doing it under some Christian concept of war for god, such as the crusades, I'd call that Christian terrorism. Thankfully, we got that out of our system and became civilised. The reality is that Islam clearly contains some components, or at the very least the culture attached to Islam contains some components, that lead to it being incompatible with non-Islamic host societies and a tendency to be less tolerant of minority cultures than other religions (consider in the West we let Muslims have as many mosques as they like but how many churches are in Saudi Arabia?).

Last edited by a moderator:

O-N-E

Meanwhile...

zWCvloW.jpg

tenor.gif

Ktbr.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

aeNPW13.gif

EllipticalUnrealisticAsiaticmouflon-size_restricted.gif

While not all Muslims are violent, the majority of religious violence in modern times is done under the name of Islam.
It's not Islamic to kill bystanders and innocent people regardless of their religion. That's a fundamental misunderstanding that you and the Khairjites (ISIS, Al-Qaeda, etc) share which led to bloodshed and terrorism under the guise of it being justified by the Qur'an and Hadith.

Also, Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) is not a warlord by any rational and reasonable definition of the word. Study the history of his Prophethood from both sources (Orientalists and Muslim Historians) and then make up your mind. If he was a warlord, then explain this picture to me:
rX1pvtU.jpg

It's clear that there are two sides when it comes to viewing Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) and it's a shame to see revisionist history apply to him but actual warlord figures like Gengis Khan are more softly overlooked.

Socialized misinformation about a foreign religion like Islam is not uncommon in other parts of the world, especially in Western Socieities. It's a shame because I have more respect for their history than they have for mine.
I hope Muslim Gaf and Islam Critical Gaf can get along better in the future.
They will if both sides do their due diligence when it comes to research. This topic is immaturely discussed among both communities (speaking for myself as well) since we dont possess the necessary amount of information needed to have a nuanced discussion.

Ironically, we are on the same side when it comes to dealing with the malignant issue of radicalized islam that's plaguing the Muslim world.

O-N-E

MHK, don't open up a can of worms in the META dude. I think if people keep it civil without the ad hominems, there can be a thread dedicated to discuss this stuff in a proper way.

O-N-E

Excuse me?

What are you talking about? Have you seen the posts above mine, including yours?

I have as much right as them to discuss the topic.

Of course you have the right, buddy.

I made a joke post about happy Jews.

I just think if we're going to discuss Muhammed, violence, the Quran....it just opens up the discussion to where it needs its own thread.

I can't stop you, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Of course you have the right, buddy.

I made a joke post about happy Jews.

I just think if we're going to discuss Muhammed, violence, the Quran....it just opens up the discussion to where it needs its own thread.

I can't stop you, just my opinion.
I agree.

For now, I'm standing down my guard for IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo 's sake. He sent me a wonderfully written message on the PM that made me blush.

Papa

Banned
I always thought the perm upgrades for ban evasion were pretty harsh. Just double whatever their original sentence was instead and perm the alt.

Mista

Banned
I always thought the perm upgrades for ban evasion were pretty harsh. Just double whatever their original sentence was instead and perm the alt.

Each accepted member is granted one, and only one, username. If you are caught using multiple usernames, you will be subject to immediate and permanent banning of all accounts involved.

Yeah bending the rules to whatever the fuck the mod is feeling today

But apparently Brap and others can't have the same treatment cause they aren't "Feeling it"

Fuck this circus. I am seriously done with this fuckery and unfairness

Papa

Banned

But apparently Brap and others can't have the same treatment cause they aren't "Feeling it"

lol relax dude

I'd be much more upset if the rule said temporary banning of alts and they were permabanning instead. Going the other way and showing lenience is a good thing.

imo a 'may' condition should be added to the rule. It's too black and white atm. Think of it like the law -- it doesn't prescribe specific sentences. There's always room for interpretation and consideration of context by the judge.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

There's a historical precedent for making exceptions for alts in some cases, but I thought it was only of they were funny or useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom