• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I honestly hate Windows, I've been fighting this crappy OS since 1996. But overall, Windows 10 is a major step in the right direction, as if it's not made by Microsoft. And Xbox isn't relevant here anyway, no one really talks about it, it's an endangered species.
Time to start learning bash for the alternative, being Free BSD (you know which is used as a foundation for PS4 and possibly PS5), macOS or good ol' pal Linux. Which reminds me, that MS is not improving shitty things about cmd/Powershell, instead you can run Linux bash natively in your windows. So I am waiting for announcement of being able to play PS5 games on your XSX as a fix : D

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Time to start learning bash for the alternative, being Free BSD (you know which is used as a foundation for PS4 and possibly PS5), macOS or good ol' pal Linux. Which reminds me, that MS is not improving shitty things about cmd/Powershell, instead you can run Linux bash natively in your windows. So I am waiting for announcement of being able to play PS5 games on your XSX as a fix : D
Use Zshell instead of Bash. Aside from that Bash is not an alternative to Powershell(which is also present on Linux/macOS), it is meant to use POSIX command-line utilities on Windows. Bash commands can be imported to Powershell, so I can run the Linux versions of less, grep or sed directly from PowerShell. While cmd has been abandoned, Powershell is being actively developed for the three major operating systems(I am sorry FreeBSD).

Last edited:

M1chl

Use Zshell instead of Bash. Aside from that Bash is not an alternative to Powershell(which is also present on Linux/macOS), it is meant to use POSIX command-line utilities on Windows. Bash commands can be imported to Powershell, so I can run the Linux versions of less, grep or sed directly from PowerShell. While cmd has been abandoned, Powershell is being actively developed for the three major operating systems(I am sorry FreeBSD).
I am using Zsh on macOS, however PowerShell never was to my tastes, I do recognize that there is some similarities, what actually make me don't like the Powershell is that using command line on Windows is way harder, when it comes to the packages path and convoluted names of services, I do think Windows is best used with UI, on Linux well that's up to your taste...

Bernkastel

I am using Zsh on macOS, however PowerShell never was to my tastes, I do recognize that there is some similarities, what actually make me don't like the Powershell is that using command line on Windows is way harder, when it comes to the packages path and convoluted names of services, I do think Windows is best used with UI, on Linux well that's up to your taste...
Agreed, Windows apps have been built for GUIs for decades. We have this thing called Scoop on Windows that is meant imitate Unix package management systems, and even though it is maintained by a literal autist, Scoop is nowhere near close to the functionality of Pacman or Homebrew. PowerShell's It-Sit-That verb-noun verbosity can be annoying, especially for people used to Unix command line. That said Microsoft has been recently trying to make it more command line friendly. There are .NET hooks for almost all Windows functionality, so you can do lots of stuffs from PowerShell, but they are hard to find. The idea of an alternative Bash shell and the future plans to run Linux binaries using win32 executables are good or they have to keep listening to these rants.

M1chl

Agreed, Windows apps have been built for GUIs for decades. We have this thing called Scoop on Windows that is meant imitate Unix package management systems, and even though it is maintained by a literal autist, Scoop is nowhere near close to the functionality of Pacman or Homebrew. PowerShell's It-Sit-That verb-noun verbosity can be annoying, especially for people used to Unix command line. That said Microsoft has been recently trying to make it more command line friendly. There are .NET hooks for almost all Windows functionality, so you can do lots of stuffs from PowerShell, but they are hard to find. The idea of an alternative Bash shell and the future plans to run Linux binaries using win32 executables are good or they have to keep listening to these rants.
Those comments are pretty funny : D

Bernkastel

Those comments are pretty funny : D
I'm confused why such a popular project, used by a vast amount of windows and Linux users, would make installation so different and foreign to a large amount of its users
Meanwhile I'm confused as to what we'd have to gain from catering towards a platform that's notoriously difficult to develop for. Money? Fame? Headaches?
That guy has a blog

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
jpGQ6fH.jpg

bronk

Banned
Sup sluts. Everyone been good? Been out and about being my usual stupid self. Grabbed some Deftones 20th Anniversary White Pony beer which I'm stoked on. I've also played a ton of Suikoden 1. Haven't played in so long so i forgot alot of it. Suikoden 2 is one of my favorite rpgs of all time. Hope everyone is in good health beasting through life with maximum BDE.
127295317.whitepony3-683x1024.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s just trading another kind of silliness for the one we have, but I’d be lying if I said that console fanboys, after months of subjecting us to their nonsense fighting with each other over their specs, having near meltdowns over a 30 TF PC part that annihilates both, wasn’t extremely entertaining. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bonus points for a sudden ‘It’s all about the games’ worldview.

Last edited:
It’s just trading another kind of silliness for the one we have, but I’d be lying if I said that console fanboys, after months of subjecting us to their nonsense fighting with each other over their specs, having near meltdowns over a 30 TF PC part that annihilates both, wasn’t extremely entertaining. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bonus points for a sudden ‘It’s all about the games’ worldview.
But then those games will also come to PC.

5MjhnDe.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom