• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guilty_AI

lol Schrodinger is from the UK and he likes the traditional rules of logic and debate, which is almost always what he throws in someone's face when they breach it.
Speaking of this, it'd be nice to have a topic/community dedicated to traditional debate. Not necessarely the usual political stuff, just random topics like "Children shouldn’t be allowed cell phones until they are over 18. Agree or disagree?" or "Are genetically modified foods a viable solution?".
I wonder if something like that would end up getting out of hand anyway.

Speaking of this, it'd be nice to have a topic/community dedicated to traditional debate. Not necessarely the usual political stuff, just random topics like "Children shouldn’t be allowed cell phones until they are over 18. Agree or disagree?" or "Are genetically modified foods a viable solution?".
I wonder if something like that would end up getting out of hand anyway.
I see those kinda topics posted as standalones, and they usually do pretty well.

Dunno about a "debate thread". The traditional rules are pretty strict and boring (unless one truly enjoys the challenge) and this is a gaming forum.

Guilty_AI

Dunno about a "debate thread". The traditional rules are pretty strict and boring (unless one truly enjoys the challenge) and this is a gaming forum.
Well, debate is basically a game so...

I see those kinda topics posted as standalones, and they usually do pretty well.
I suppose that does works better than a dedicated thread, so i suppose it'd be something like a series of threads with standardized rules

Well, debate is basically a game so...

I suppose that does works better than a dedicated thread, so i suppose it'd be something like a series of threads with standardized rules
Makes sense. As long as the discussion is based on first principles (which a lotta posters seem unable to do, sadly) should be come good conversation.

May I propose a gaming-related one: children's gaming time should be strictly limited and monitored until they reach adulthood.

I'm sure many of us -- myself included -- dealt with parents who seemed to believe the statement above, but now as adults maybe our opinions have matured. :pie_thinking:

Guilty_AI

Makes sense. As long as the discussion is based on first principles (which a lotta posters seem unable to do, sadly) should be come good conversation.

May I propose a gaming-related one: children's gaming time should be strictly limited and monitored until they reach adulthood.

I'm sure many of us -- myself included -- dealt with parents who seemed to believe the statement above, but now as adults maybe our opinions have matured. :pie_thinking:
Would be a great topic to start.
I think the proper way to avoid personal attacks would be to purposely pick topics that aren't too polemic. There'd also be a need to make a few adaptations to work on a forum format

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Nobody_Important Nobody_Important You do not owe anyone an explanation. We can all own our actions like adults. If you wish to persuade, however, you must sometimes reluctantly wade into the battlefield with open arms. In the war of ideas, persuasion is one of the only true metrics of scorekeeping.
I'm not interested in persuading anyone on this because no one can persuade me to reverse the decision. I am not interested in debating whether or not I should have to put up with personal attacks. I'm only here because someone @ me.

BigBooper

Have you ever been high hatted? Know what that means? I'm fascinated by old fashioned colloquialisms.

My friend was telling me today about how he went in the bank and everyone there high hatted him and he pert near burst a vessel.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Distraction!!!

Drag Race Lol GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not interested in persuading anyone on this because no one can persuade me to reverse the decision.
One is always open to persuasion. Don't rule it out, or you lose an open mind.

I am not interested in debating whether or not I should have to put up with personal attacks. I'm only here because someone @ me.
The thing is that the claim in question is a pretty simple - does SC lob personal attacks at you to the extent that having him on ignore is justified? Some people think you are either making it up, or are interpreting SC's posts more harshly than warranted. Is it fair that they don't give you the benefit of the doubt? Probably not, but such is the way of things.

To that end, all you would need to do to shut them up is to post a couple of examples where SC is blatantly abusive to you in a way that is not relevant to the topic of discussion. A clear example like that puts doubt in others' minds that hey, maybe you are right after all. Not doing so makes people who are predisposed to not believe you keep going on not believing you.

It serves you two fold - one, it gives you tangible reinforcement that your own thought processes are correct and that yes you are in line with reality. It also gives you better credibility when it comes to other matters so that it becomes easier next time for others to just take your word for it. However, like I said before, you don't owe anyone shit. But if you're not here to persuade, then what's the point of posting in politics? That would just be an exercise in soapboxery. Elevate yourself by actually proving yourself right.

Guilty_AI

ok, i baked up some guidelines for a possible forum debate circle while waiting in line for the doctor to call me:

Picking a side

Vote on the poll if you wish to take part in the debate, that way we can verify each persons position and keep a control. You CANNOT change your vote, so pick wisely.
*Challenge yourself, try arguing in favor of a position you'd normally be against
*Alternatively, you can also pick a side randomly, or simply try to fill up for the smaller team

Rules:

Every player has three weapons at his disposal: [Answer], [Attempt] and [Defense]

-[Answer] is what the player uses to establish his position on the subject, and to argue in its favor.
-Every player is only allowed ONE [Answer]. So write your [Answer] wisely.
-DO NOT quote any user in your answer
-Post format:
ANSWER

<argument goes here>

-[Attempt] is what the player uses to attack another player's point.
-Every player is allowed to write TWO [Attempt]s against another specific player.
-The first [Attempt] must be a reply to the rival's [Answer]
-The second [Attempt] must be a reply the rival's [Defense] against your previous [Attempt]
-You can use [Attempt] against as many players as you wish, as long as you keep it to two [Attempt]s max per rival.
-Post format:
<quote rival player's [Answer]>
ATTEMPT #1 @<rival's username>

<argument goes here>
and
<quote rival player's [Defense]>
ATTEMPT #2 @<rival's username>

<argument goes here>

-[Defense] is what the player uses to defend against another player's [Attempt]
-Every player is allowed to write TWO [Defense]s against another specific player.
-The first [Defense] must be a reply the rival's first [Attempt] against your [Answer]
-The second [Defense] must be a reply the rival's second [Attempt] against your first [Defense]
-You can use [Defense] against any players using [Attempt]s against your [Answer].
-Post format:
<quote rival player's [Attempt] #1>
DEFENSE #1 @<rival's username>

<argument goes here>
and
<quote rival player's [Attempt] #2>
DEFENSE #2 @<rival's username>

<argument goes here>

-You're allowed to edit your [Answer], [Attempt]s and [Defense]s as long as you specify what was edited (grammar, wrong numbers, etc...)
-Tag teams aren't allowed. Don't try to pick up where some other player left off when they were arguing/defending an answer. If you wish, start a new [Attempt] or [Answer] of your own with his points in mind.

Additional rules

1 - No personal attacks. This is just a game so keep it civil.
*Though personal attacks aren't allowed, it is completelly valid to question the morality of a certain position. Just DON'T use that to put into question the rival's own moral values. Remember that might not even be his real position on the subject.

2 - Only address arguments made INSIDE the thread. Do not take into consideration positions held by the user from previous debates or from any other thread. Again, remember that might not even be his actual beliefs.

3 - General commentary such as jokes, additions to a user's point or sharing interesting data are allowed. But, if you wish to argue with someone or make a point, follow the guidelines. Don't use this freedom to try and drag on an argument outside of the rules. Any comment ouside of the official format can be disconsidered when writing [Defense]'s and [Attempts]'s.

4 - Forum rules still apply. In case the ban hammer descends upon you after deciding, for some reason, to argue eugenics or how 09/11 was an inside job, don't complain. Just take it to the mods and the ban/review justice thread if you think it was unfair.

5 - There are no winners, but there are losers. They're the ones who break the rules.

Recommendations when arguing

-Don't be sarcastic, be objective
-Formulate your points properly, you have limited replies after all.
-Try predicting possible counter-arguments and adressing them before they're brought up. It can save you some replies.
-Avoid suggestive questions, try stating your point clearly (Instead of "Do you really think that X?" use something like "X is very unlikely, after all Y")
-Avoid fallacies and sophistry, you're just giving your opponent an opening.
-Instead of accusing someone of using fallacies or flawed logic, try explaining to them exactly why what they said is incorrect.
-Avoid using links in your arguments, instead explicitly state the information you wish to use (Ex: "Institute X made a research on Y pointing out that Z")

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
ok, i baked up some guidelines for a possible forum debate circle while waiting in line for the doctor to call me:

Picking a side

Vote on the poll if you wish to take part in the debate, that way we can verify each persons position and keep a control. You CANNOT change your vote, so pick wisely.
*Challenge yourself, try arguing in favor of a position you'd normally be against
*Alternatively, you can also pick a side randomly, or simply try to fill up for the smaller team

Rules:

Every player has three weapons at his disposal: [Answer], [Attempt] and [Defense]

-[Answer] is what the player uses to establish his position on the subject, and to argue in its favor.
-Every player is only allowed ONE [Answer]. So write your [Answer] wisely.
-DO NOT quote any user in your answer
-Post format:

-[Attempt] is what the player uses to attack another player's point.
-Every player is allowed to write TWO [Attempt]s against another specific player.
-The first [Attempt] must be a reply to the rival's [Answer]
-The second [Attempt] must be a reply the rival's [Defense] against your previous [Attempt]
-You can use [Attempt] against as many players as you wish, as long as you keep it to two [Attempt]s max per rival.
-Post format:

and

-[Defense] is what the player uses to defend against another player's [Attempt]
-Every player is allowed to write TWO [Defense]s against another specific player.
-The first [Defense] must be a reply the rival's first [Attempt] against your [Answer]
-The second [Defense] must be a reply the rival's second [Attempt] against your first [Defense]
-You can use [Defense] against any players using [Attempt]s against your [Answer].
-Post format:

and

-You're allowed to edit your [Answer], [Attempt]s and [Defense]s as long as you specify what was edited (grammar, wrong numbers, etc...)
-Tag teams aren't allowed. Don't try to pick up where some other player left off when they were arguing/defending an answer. If you wish, start a new [Attempt] or [Answer] of your own with his points in mind.

Additional rules

1 - No personal attacks. This is just a game so keep it civil.
*Though personal attacks aren't allowed, it is completelly valid to question the morality of a certain position. Just DON'T use that to put into question the rival's own moral values. Remember that might not even be his real position on the subject.

2 - Only address arguments made INSIDE the thread. Do not take into consideration positions held by the user from previous debates or from any other thread. Again, remember that might not even be his actual beliefs.

3 - General commentary such as jokes, additions to a user's point or sharing interesting data are allowed. But, if you wish to argue with someone or make a point, follow the guidelines. Don't use this freedom to try and drag on an argument outside of the rules. Any comment ouside of the official format can be disconsidered when writing [Defense]'s and [Attempts]'s.

4 - Forum rules still apply. In case the ban hammer descends upon you after deciding, for some reason, to argue eugenics or how 09/11 was an inside job, don't complain. Just take it to the mods and the ban/review justice thread if you think it was unfair.

5 - There are no winners, but there are losers. They're the ones who break the rules.

Recommendations when arguing

-Don't be sarcastic, be objective
-Formulate your points properly, you have limited replies after all.
-Try predicting possible counter-arguments and adressing them before they're brought up. It can save you some replies.
-Avoid suggestive questions, try stating your point clearly (Instead of "Do you really think that X?" use something like "X is very unlikely, after all Y")
-Avoid fallacies and sophistry, you're just giving your opponent an opening.
-Instead of accusing someone of using fallacies or flawed logic, try explaining to them exactly why what they said is incorrect.
-Avoid using links in your arguments, instead explicitly state the information you wish to use (Ex: "Institute X made a research on Y pointing out that Z")

Guilty_AI

What kind of creepy shit is this. Some random scumbag with a telephoto lens filming girls enjoying their day together. Set to jaunty music of course, less creepy that way.
i believe they're a bunch of k-pop stars in their training session or something? Not strange for them to be filmed then.

Also, finally figured out Bernkastel Bernkastel is trying to infect my youtube algorithms

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I snorkeled by a nurse shark today. That was pretty cool but also terrifying. Florida is a pretty cool place minus all the crazy drivers on the road.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I am enjoying my time here, but I don't think I could live here full-time. Drove back up from Key West this afternoon. Traffic is insane. I will keep my small state with easy commute.

Oo ya traffic is insane from 3 - 7 you get traffic throughout. Miami Dade, Siminole, Broward and Palm Beach are the worst counties to live in.

Edit - go to the hard rock cafe up in Siminole. They got a good performances around this time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom