• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaneIsPain

Animated GIF

DonJorginho

Banned
Tess has gone again? I'm into edging but talk about leaving a bro hanging.
the-best-of-sad-kanye.png

Jokes aside, hope you enjoy your break, hope you and the family stay well and I can't wait to have you back on here mate.

635908221534378366-GTY-509641178-79592120.JPG

DonJorginho

Banned
You brought up Grammies. Like it means anything. Quincy Jones has more then him.
The Grammy's don't matter that was me pissing around using one of his lyrics lmao.

But he has got an amazing discography, it hasn't been as good recently with JIK but at his pomp with MBDTF he was a force to be reckoned with in music, he has a lot of talent regardless of his cuntish ways.

Last edited:

Richard Packer

Gold Member
The Grammy's don't matter that was me pissing around using one of his lyrics lmao.

But he has got an amazing discography, it hasn't been as good recently with JIK but at his pomp with MBDTF he was a force to be reckoned with in music, he has a lot of talent regardless of his cuntish ways.

He's a decent entertainer. With a catalogue that suits a certain demographic. I would never call him a rap artist though. Just a producer, who doesn't even crack top ten in that category.

DonJorginho

Banned
He's a decent entertainer. With a catalogue that suits a certain demographic. I would never call him a rap artist though. Just a producer, who doesn't even crack top ten in that category.
I respect that, he isn't known for his writing or storytelling like others in the game. I would call him a rap artist still but I see why some don't class him with the likes of Kendrick or Nas for example.

I would say he is in and around the top 20-25 producers in Hip-Hop, not top 10 though.

Last edited:

Richard Packer

Gold Member
I respect that, he isn't known for his writing or storytelling like others in the game. I would call him a rap artist still but I see why some don't class him with the likes of Kendrick or Nas for example.

I would say he is in and around the top 20-25 producers in Hip-Hop, not top 10 though.

If you don't write you own raps, you're not a rap artist. See Diddy, Drake, Dr. Dre for other examples.

DonJorginho

Banned
If you don't write you own raps, you're not a rap artist. See Diddy, Drake, Dr. Dre for other examples.
I think you can still be a rap artist, just not an authentic one, like a replica, Kanye is more than a simple rap artist for me anyway, man pushed the genre with every release at his pomp, now he's gotten lazy sadly.

Richard Packer

Gold Member
I think you can still be a rap artist, just not an authentic one, like a replica, Kanye is more than a simple rap artist for me anyway, man pushed the genre with every release at his pomp, now he's gotten lazy sadly.

He hasn't. Pushed the genre in what direction? Future and Drake have had way more of an impact then Kanye. Fuck even Gucci Mane and Playboi Carti have had more influence.

DonJorginho

Banned
He hasn't. Pushed the genre in what direction? Future and Drake have had way more of an impact then Kanye. Fuck even Gucci Mane and Playboi Carti have had more influence.
Now that's a lie, 808s inspired many as did Yeezus, TLOP was literally a moment in history as was MBDTF or the whole College trilogy.

Drake has had more influence in recent times but he is the biggest artist in the world so that isn't a diss on Ye. Gucci Mane, Future and Carti? They have had massive influence but at their peaks Kanye would beat those 3 100% in every category, nowadays? would be a more even contest with Ye's decline.

Kanye is such an influence even still that Carti chose him as exec producer on WLR.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Richard Packer Richard Packer if you wanted to know who Kanye influenced.

Well, you obviously have rappers like:

Charles Hamilton, Chance the Rapper & Vic Mensa who are obviously influenced by Graduation, Late Registration & The College Dropout. They tend to focus more on unconventional sampling while staying safe enough that it’s regarded as traditional hip hop. Charles Hamilton has always regarded Kanye as a major influence with some strong influence being heard on Pink Lavalamp, Chance & Vic have worked with Kanye before and both have called Kanye a huge influence.

Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole & Lupe Fiasco are all influenced by Kanye West.

-Kendrick’s earlier conscious songs like on the Kendrick Lamar EP, O.verly D.edicated & Section.80 had a hint of some conscious Ye especially from songs on Late Registration, he even interpolates Kanye’s verse on We Major on m.A.A.d. City.

-J. Cole’s production style & lyrics are def influenced by Kanye, I mean shit he sampled The New Workout Plan and paid homage to him on Workout along with trying out some 808’s esque influence on some songs on Born Sinner. He’s admitted it himself but nowadays he tries to distance himself away from the Kanye comparisons.

-Lupe came out around the same time Kanye dropped his debut album but without Kanye, Lupe wouldn’t be as large as he is without his guest verse on Touch the Sky. Lupe has remixed Jesus Walks, Allah Walks, and has had Kanye be a mentor in the late 2000s, early 2010s before Keef came out.

-Keef was a darling in the early 2010s and was everywhere. He’s given props to Kanye and their influence goes both ways, samething with Kid Cudi.

-A$AP Rocky, Tyler the Creator, Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert & Travis Scott have all been influenced by Kanye. They’re unconventional hip hop artists who are directly influenced and mentored by Kanye. They’ve all cited Kanye as major influences and you can hear it in their music, they tend to use more unconventional samples while trying to break the sonic wall to be innovative like Kanye.

-Drake has always said Kanye was one of his biggest influences, he even admitted this back in February during So Far Gone’s 10th anniversary on Insta. Drake has always been influenced by Kanye’s cocky attitude & demeanor, not fitting into the typical archetype of an average rapper and was seen more as a backpack rapper in his early years as an artist. Drake’s continually been influenced by Kanye’s first 4 albums and see’s Kanye as one of his biggest artistic competitors, he wants to be bigger & better than Kanye, for Drizzy Kanye is the bar.

-Artists like Lil Pump, Trippie Redd, Migos, Lil Yachty, BROCKHAMPTON, Childish Gambino, Odd Future, shit almost any rapper that uses autotune & has dyed hair has had Kanye rubbed off on them. You can see it with their unconventional artistry, deameanor, lyrics, production & fashion.

-Kanye has obviously influenced his contemporaries like Jay Z, Common, Cam’ron, Jeezy, DMX, The Game, Pusha T, Pharrell, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, 2 Chainz, MIA, T.I., Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Beyonce, Rick Ross & Nas. Kanye has produced or had a guest feature for everyone on there, influencing them on fashion, changing up their sound and setting the bar higher.

Kanye’s soul samples, fussing pop & rap instead of making poppy rap like Nelly or 50 Cent & his use of autotune making himself be vulnerable instead of the catchy autotune songs by T-Pain have all contributed to Kanye’s legacy to the genre of hip hop.

All in all, Kanye West is an extremely innovative artist, he’s influenced a lot of the industry and his influence isn’t stopping anytime soon.

Richard Packer

Gold Member
Now that's a lie, 808s inspired many as did Yeezus, TLOP was literally a moment in history as was MBDTF or the whole College trilogy.

Drake has had more influence in recent times but he is the biggest artist in the world so that isn't a diss on Ye. Gucci Mane, Future and Carti? They have had massive influence but at their peaks Kanye would beat those 3 100% in every category, nowadays? would be a more even contest with Ye's decline.

Kanye is such an influence even still that Carti chose him as exec producer on WLR.

This is why you can't argue with super fans. You guys are oblivious.

Richard Packer

Gold Member
Richard Packer Richard Packer if you wanted to know who Kanye influenced.

Well, you obviously have rappers like:

Charles Hamilton, Chance the Rapper & Vic Mensa who are obviously influenced by Graduation, Late Registration & The College Dropout. They tend to focus more on unconventional sampling while staying safe enough that it’s regarded as traditional hip hop. Charles Hamilton has always regarded Kanye as a major influence with some strong influence being heard on Pink Lavalamp, Chance & Vic have worked with Kanye before and both have called Kanye a huge influence.

Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole & Lupe Fiasco are all influenced by Kanye West.

-Kendrick’s earlier conscious songs like on the Kendrick Lamar EP, O.verly D.edicated & Section.80 had a hint of some conscious Ye especially from songs on Late Registration, he even interpolates Kanye’s verse on We Major on m.A.A.d. City.

-J. Cole’s production style & lyrics are def influenced by Kanye, I mean shit he sampled The New Workout Plan and paid homage to him on Workout along with trying out some 808’s esque influence on some songs on Born Sinner. He’s admitted it himself but nowadays he tries to distance himself away from the Kanye comparisons.

-Lupe came out around the same time Kanye dropped his debut album but without Kanye, Lupe wouldn’t be as large as he is without his guest verse on Touch the Sky. Lupe has remixed Jesus Walks, Allah Walks, and has had Kanye be a mentor in the late 2000s, early 2010s before Keef came out.

-Keef was a darling in the early 2010s and was everywhere. He’s given props to Kanye and their influence goes both ways, samething with Kid Cudi.

-A$AP Rocky, Tyler the Creator, Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert & Travis Scott have all been influenced by Kanye. They’re unconventional hip hop artists who are directly influenced and mentored by Kanye. They’ve all cited Kanye as major influences and you can hear it in their music, they tend to use more unconventional samples while trying to break the sonic wall to be innovative like Kanye.

-Drake has always said Kanye was one of his biggest influences, he even admitted this back in February during So Far Gone’s 10th anniversary on Insta. Drake has always been influenced by Kanye’s cocky attitude & demeanor, not fitting into the typical archetype of an average rapper and was seen more as a backpack rapper in his early years as an artist. Drake’s continually been influenced by Kanye’s first 4 albums and see’s Kanye as one of his biggest artistic competitors, he wants to be bigger & better than Kanye, for Drizzy Kanye is the bar.

-Artists like Lil Pump, Trippie Redd, Migos, Lil Yachty, BROCKHAMPTON, Childish Gambino, Odd Future, shit almost any rapper that uses autotune & has dyed hair has had Kanye rubbed off on them. You can see it with their unconventional artistry, deameanor, lyrics, production & fashion.

-Kanye has obviously influenced his contemporaries like Jay Z, Common, Cam’ron, Jeezy, DMX, The Game, Pusha T, Pharrell, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, 2 Chainz, MIA, T.I., Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Beyonce, Rick Ross & Nas. Kanye has produced or had a guest feature for everyone on there, influencing them on fashion, changing up their sound and setting the bar higher.

Kanye’s soul samples, fussing pop & rap instead of making poppy rap like Nelly or 50 Cent & his use of autotune making himself be vulnerable instead of the catchy autotune songs by T-Pain have all contributed to Kanye’s legacy to the genre of hip hop.

All in all, Kanye West is an extremely innovative artist, he’s influenced a lot of the industry and his influence isn’t stopping anytime soon.

Jesus christ. What is this nonsense.

DonJorginho

Banned
Jesus christ. What is this nonsense.
Tyler, The Creator has called Kanye West and Pharrell Williams ‘fucking gods’ while explaining the influence both artists have had on his career.

DRAKE SAYS KANYE WEST IS 'THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSON' ON HIS SOUND​

Playboi Carti Talks With Kid Cudi About Kanye’s Work on ‘Whole Lotta Red’ Album: ‘He Opened My Eyes’​

A$AP Rocky on Kanye West’s Style Influence: “When I Was Sixteen I Was Inspired by Kanye West”​

J. Cole Addresses JAY-Z & Kanye West’s Influence On His New Cozz Collab “Zendaya”​

KENDRICK LAMAR BREAKS DOWN HIS STYLE INFLUENCES AND PRAISES KANYE WEST'S TRAILBLAZING​

Do you want the article links so you can read them with your own eyes mate? Kanye has an influence 100%, you can never deny that.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Tyler, The Creator has called Kanye West and Pharrell Williams ‘fucking gods’ while explaining the influence both artists have had on his career.

Playboi Carti Talks With Kid Cudi About Kanye’s Work on ‘Whole Lotta Red’ Album: ‘He Opened My Eyes’​

A$AP Rocky on Kanye West’s Style Influence: “When I Was Sixteen I Was Inspired by Kanye West”​

J. Cole Addresses JAY-Z & Kanye West’s Influence On His New Cozz Collab “Zendaya”​

KENDRICK LAMAR BREAKS DOWN HIS STYLE INFLUENCES AND PRAISES KANYE WEST'S TRAILBLAZING​

Do you want the article links so you can read them with your own eyes mate? Kanye has an influence 100%, you can never deny that.

What about you crazy Kanye dude? What do you see?

Richard Packer

Gold Member

I listen to music instead of reading it dude. Kanye has so many dick holsters there are probably 100s of these articles. Doesn't make them true and that Kanye was the only influence.

Kanye has had an influence. But his time is over and he is long on his way to being irrelevant. T-pain brought us auto tune, not Kanye. That is also a terrible lasting legacy as auto has had a detrimental effect on hiphop. Drake blurred the pop lines better. Everybody today trying to sound like Gucci or Playboi. Who are also terrible in my opinion.

DonJorginho

Banned
I listen to music instead of reading it dude. Kanye has so many dick holsters there are probably 100s of these articles. Doesn't make them true and that Kanye was the only influence.

Kanye has had an influence. But his time is over and he is long on his way to being irrelevant. T-pain brought us auto tune, not Kanye. That is also a terrible lasting legacy as auto has had a detrimental effect on hiphop. Drake blurred the pop lines better. Everybody today trying to sound like Gucci or Playboi. Who are also terrible in my opinion.
I listen to music too, a lot actually, almost every minute of my day awake I have music on, and believe it or not most of the time it ain't even Kanye I have on! And of course he will have dickriders but these are quotes from the artists themselves in terms of citing Kanye as an influence.

I agree there that his time is nearing it's end, I never claimed Kanye did bring us auto tune, but he certainly used that and vocoders to better use than T, only Travis Scott utilises autotune better I'd say.

Drake has blurred the pop lines better now for a fact but Kanye was the one doing it before him and without Kanye there would be no Drake, that's coming from the man himself.

I don't rate Gucci Mane, I rate Carti for his sound but not his structuring, vocals or lyricism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom