• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

SoloCamo

Interesting you bring this up, as I've been experiencing blurry vision lately, but I've been on VR since the Quest 2 days early on, so unlikely to be related. How old are you? Do you find close-up vision is fine, but just long distance is blurrier and takes more effort to focus?

Late 30's, and yes, near sighted but it seems like it suddenly got a lot worse. My glasses (that I normally didn't really need to wear) are now pretty much required as I can't focus for squat.

DaGwaphics

Late 30's, and yes, near sighted but it seems like it suddenly got a lot worse. My glasses (that I normally didn't really need to wear) are now pretty much required as I can't focus for squat.

Do you get a lot of eyestrain/dryness/redness when using the headset?

Poppyseed

Probably just a coincidence. You're still distance looking with a VR headset, as it's based on your prescription (if you use lenses like I do).

Wonko_C

Saw this over on reddit, I just confirmed it works, got the game for $3. :D

6FfS8Lr.jpeg

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So I've had my Quest 3 for about 2 months now, and what I've learned is:
  • Modern VR is pretty awesome but there's still lots of room for improvement
  • The experience still isn't anywhere near user-friendly/pick-up-and-play enough for the average consumer
  • The Meta ecosystem is active and thriving and appears to be the future of VR
  • PC VR is all but dead

Because of this, unfortunately I don't see a future in VR for me. I understand the appeal of on-device locally rendered experiences, but as an enthusiast, the visuals just aren't there for me and probably never will be.

I've played through all of the PCVR experiences I've desired to play, with the exception of Half-Life: Alyx, which I will be buying the next time it goes on sale. After completing Alyx though, it's looking like my Quest 3 is going up for sale.

Last edited:

amigastar

• The experience still isn't anywhere near user-friendly/pick-up-and-play enough for the average consumer
  • PC VR is all but dead

Because of this, unfortunately I don't see a future in VR for me. I understand the appeal of on-device locally rendered experiences, but as an enthusiast, the visuals just aren't there for me and probably never will be.

I've played through all of the PCVR experiences I've desired to play, with the exception of Half-Life: Alyx, which I will be buying the next time it goes on sale. After completing Alyx though, it's looking like my Quest 3 is going up for sale.
Many people use their VR headset to play flight sims like Falcon BMS or DCS World. It's pretty awesome with VR.
Falcon BMS is older software (but still gets updated) so it runs pretty great on modern PC's.

Last edited:

Romulus

• PC VR is all but dead

You would probably do better to sell it now and make more cash, but 2024 is getting a library of VR games not seen before. Batman, Metro, Alien to name a few.

I know PCVR is dead, but in terms of actual enjoyment the UEVR injector has been incredible playing more AAA games than I have time for. The setup takes several minutes usually after you know what you're doing.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The experience still isn't anywhere near user-friendly/pick-up-and-play enough for the average consumer
I've been doing VR for a long time now but I would agree with this. It needs to get to the point where you pick up the headset and you are instantly transported to a VR environment. It needs to be seamless.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
  • PC VR is all but dead
Wait what?
Flight sim, WRC, F1, Blade and Sorcery going full release. Meta is money hatting some exclusives but it just cant handle the sim genre which is where VR truly excels.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Wait what?
Flight sim, WRC, F1, Blade and Sorcery going full release. Meta is money hatting some exclusives but it just cant handle the sim genre which is where VR truly excels.

Glad you're enjoying your experiences, but I'm talking from a perspective of new significant titles and attracting big developers. Those days are over in the PCVR space.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Glad you're enjoying your experiences, but I'm talking from a perspective of new significant titles and attracting big developers. Those days are over in the PCVR space.
Other than Blade and Sorcery those titles are from big name developers. Also there is Metro Awakening coming this year hopefully.

Romulus

Wait what?

I wouldn't be so sure quest can't handle sim racers in the future. That new motorbike game is surprisingly deep.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Huge sale going on right now for a few more days. I picked up Assassins Creed, Phantom: Covert Ops and Arcade Legend (w/ both DLC bundles)
I don’t get to see the sales anymore. Seems like a lot of folks are affected.

Just bought a sealed 512 GB from ebay. Cross fingers that it's not scam.
It arrived! Haven't unboxed it yet but box looks good, sealed with no dents or dings at all. Won't be able to open it and check until the weekend. Hopefully it's not filled with rocks or something.

Alexios Alexios it's your continued posts about VR games in the other thread that kept tempting me to buy one so I feel I should ask you for the referral. You have to walk me through the thing though since I haven't even made a Meta account yet.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It arrived! Haven't unboxed it yet but box looks good, sealed with no dents or dings at all. Won't be able to open it and check until the weekend. Hopefully it's not filled with rocks or something.

Alexios Alexios it's your continued posts about VR games in the other thread that kept tempting me to buy one so I feel I should ask you for the referral. You have to walk me through the thing though since I haven't even made a Meta account yet.
Thanks but I don't have a Quest yet. I had a Rift, which I sold/traded for other stuff last year so I'm inbetween actually having any VR. Still very interested obviously and hopefully I'll have something (probably a Quest 3 I guess, unless some enticing PCVR thing or competitor pops up) after summer🤷‍♂️

I recommend Meta demos (first steps or whatever) to start, then relatively static games like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Superhot, before moving to free movement serious games like Resident Evil4/Journey of the Gods or whatever, maybe a teleport based game like Budget Cuts/In Death inbetween:messenger_peace:

Cockpit games like cars, mechs, planes or whatever should be fine like the static games too (well, flying and rolling all over the place and upside down could be disorienting at first of course, maybe leave that for a bit later too). It took me a few days to transition when I first got a Rift with no issue.

Last edited:
Thanks but I don't have a Quest yet. I had a Rift, which I sold/traded for other stuff last year so I'm inbetween actually having any VR. Still very interested obviously and hopefully I'll have something (probably a Quest 3 I guess, unless some enticing PCVR thing or competitor pops up) after summer🤷‍♂️

I recommend Meta demos (first steps or whatever) to start, then relatively static games like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Superhot, before moving to free movement serious games like Resident Evil4/Journey of the Gods or whatever, maybe a teleport based game like Budget Cuts/In Death inbetween:messenger_peace:

Cockpit games like cars, mechs, planes or whatever should be fine like the static games too (well, flying and rolling all over the place and upside down could be disorienting at first of course, maybe leave that for a bit later too). It took me a few days to transition when I first got a Rift with no issue.
I imagine the first game I'll boot up is something with MR. I was told it's not as disorienting as going full VR. I do have some static VR compatible games on Steam. Everyone kept raving about Tetris Connect on PSVR so I guess I'll finally experience that. Thanks for keeping the rest of us updated in the Oculus thread.

Anyway, (hopefully) new Quest owner here. Someone throw me a referral so we can both claim the bonus.

Edit: If no one here sends me a referral by tomorrow, I'll just grab a random one from some other place. Just wanted GAF to have first dibs. Gone.

Last edited:
So I started out mainly using MR. That pack in mini-game called First Encounter was pretty neat. Actually everything AR/MR/VR is new to me so everything feels new and shiny. I ended spending most of my time just watching VR videos on Youtube. Those 360 degree videos are nice but it's those 180 degree 3D ones that blew my mind. I've been doing walking tours until battery runs out. Speaking of which, that battery makes me cry. I thought the Steam Deck was bad but this is in another level. I have a strap with a battery coming in but that might take a while to get here.

The only game I'm actually playing is 11 Table Tennis. It's like the Wii all over again where I just played Wii Sports all the time. I haven't really dived into a full VR game with lots of movement so I don't know how susceptible to motion sickness I am. I'll try to set up PCVR over the weekend. Nice timing with Alyx currently on sale.

I ended spending most of my time just watching VR videos on Youtube. Those 360 degree videos are nice but it's those 180 degree 3D ones that blew my mind.
Check out the VR animation player if you like watching VR movies. These things are fully animated. Many are short stories or simple diaramas, but there are a few full production movies.
Night Mara is a weird story with weird direction that worked well in VR.

Check out the VR animation player if you like watching VR movies. These things are fully animated. Many are short stories or simple diaramas, but there are a few full production movies.
Night Mara is a weird story with weird direction that worked well in VR.
Will do, thanks for the recommendation. I'm really loving just watching stuff on it. It always annoyed me that once they leave theaters, it was pretty much impossible to watch 3D movies but now I can. It's too bad VR isn't big enough for streaming services to have 3D movies easily available.

And now, I've gone down the VR accessories rabbit hole

Minsc

Gold Member
Will do, thanks for the recommendation. I'm really loving just watching stuff on it. It always annoyed me that once they leave theaters, it was pretty much impossible to watch 3D movies but now I can. It's too bad VR isn't big enough for streaming services to have 3D movies easily available.

And now, I've gone down the VR accessories rabbit hole

It is big enough for them to put them on Apple's products (well the Vision Pro I mean)... legit jealous. 3D blurays are 1080p and don't have HDR, yet they're the best you can get.

Meanwhile they drop full 4k UHD 3D movies complete with HDR on Apple's product.

Guess you just gotta have the bling.

Last edited:
It is big enough for them to put them on Apple's products (well the Vision Pro I mean)... legit jealous. 3D blurays are 1080p and don't have HDR, yet they're the best you can get.

Meanwhile they drop full 4k UHD 3D movies complete with HDR on Apple's product.

Guess you just gotta have the bling.
Oh, yeah, I did read that Disney has 3D movies for the Vision Pro. I know the Quest can't do HDR but I have no idea why they would limit 3D movies to a single platform when everyone pays the same price for a subscription.

Pretty good comparison through the lens for any quest 3 owners looking at psvr2

I don't think the PSVR2 was quite as bad as those images but putting on the Quest 3 after using the PSVR2 was an 'eye opener' Everything was clear and sharp and present. effortless to look around.
All the contrast in the world means jack if everything is blurry.
The PSVR2 could be nice once you find that sweet spot where everything is clear, but it was impossible for me to move my head and keep that spot in focus.

My personal VR order of importance: Presence>tracking>controls>focus>sharpness>visual refresh>field of view>brightness>hdr>eye tracking>weight>battery life/wire management.

The PSVR2 fails in focus, sharpness and refresh.
The Quest 3 fails in HDR and eye tracking.

The PSVR2 claims to do 120Hz but in practice it looks like sub 60 when the pixels smear across the screen. I see ghosting.
The Quest 3 has Zero contrast, but the pixels are bright and quick, none of that ghosting.

I just prefer the Quest 3 VR experience, Eye tracking would have been nice, but it's never used in any of the games, and HDR would have been the cheery on top but too bad so sad.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So I finally started Red Matter 2. Damn this game looks good. Especially when using the optimizer.

I think I played 2 hours straight. I only stopped because it’s getting late and I have to wake up with the kids in the morning.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Played another couple hours this afternoon. Red Matter 2 is legit fantastic. I have the resolution bumped up to I believe 150%. It’s one of the few games that doesn’t have preset options. I also bumped up the GPU performance to help get the resolution. No issues.

I also have a power brick in my pocket, so after 2.5 hours of pushing the headsets visuals and at max brightness and audio, I had 68% battery on the headset, and 88% on my power brick.

If you haven’t got it, get Red Matter 2.

MrMephistoX

Just got one yesterday too and holy shit I was not expecting it to be as much of an upgrade over the Quest 1 as it actually is. I actually had a blast with Game Pass LIVE with MS Flight Simulator on a giant ass virtual screen and Starfield before even trying other games and apps.

Romulus

Played another couple hours this afternoon. Red Matter 2 is legit fantastic. I have the resolution bumped up to I believe 150%. It’s one of the few games that doesn’t have preset options. I also bumped up the GPU performance to help get the resolution. No issues.

I also have a power brick in my pocket, so after 2.5 hours of pushing the headsets visuals and at max brightness and audio, I had 68% battery on the headset, and 88% on my power brick.

If you haven’t got it, get Red Matter 2.

Did you finish Asgard's Wrath 2?

I'm surprised that QGO still doesn't have a preset for Red Matter 2. It seems fairly popular or at least it seems to get a lot of recommendations. I've still not gotten around to a lot of games but Asgards Wrath 2 has been great so far. I really should get around to setting up PCVR2 if only so I can play Alyx then modded Cyberpunk. But what's really impressing me are those roomscale games that procgen levels that make your room feel infinitely huge using clever tricks like redirecting where you walk like Eye of the Temple. That stuff feels like freaking magic to me.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just bought the ultimate gaming accessory. A fanny pack to hold my huge external battery, lol. I used to just keep it in my pocket, but the thing was just too heavy. I then rigged the headset to the batter was strapped to the headset strap, but that made the headset heavier. So I went with a $7 fanny pack from Amazon and I’ve never been more comfortable.

Romulus

I just bought the ultimate gaming accessory. A fanny pack to hold my huge external battery, lol. I used to just keep it in my pocket, but the thing was just too heavy. I then rigged the headset to the batter was strapped to the headset strap, but that made the headset heavier. So I went with a $7 fanny pack from Amazon and I’ve never been more comfortable.

Do you put the fanny pack behind you? I just have one of those $20 batteries that strap to the back of the headset and it doubles as a counterbalance to relieve front weight. Not that its bad but still. That gives me about 4 hours of standalone gaming, which is almost always more than enough.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Do you put the fanny pack behind you? I just have one of those $20 batteries that strap to the back of the headset and it doubles as a counterbalance to relieve front weight. Not that its bad but still. That gives me about 4 hours of standalone gaming, which is almost always more than enough.
Yup. I have the pack behind me, have the usb c cord going up my back and the under the headset strap, and plugged in. It’s a usb c cable that has the 90 degree end. This helps prevent damage, should the cord be tugged by accident. Also why I have it go under the headset strap.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Anyone here try Track Craft on the Quest 3? It looks like a lot of fun. Just another great example of what sets the Quest 3 apart. The mixed reality adds a lot of fun.

Preseznik

Neo Member
Was messing around with WiFi + Virtual Desktop on my simrig and while staring into the black abyss at one point when shit didn't want to work, I noticed it

a single dead pixel right dead center

Had this thing a few weeks, I really don't wanna deal with this ...

First headset I had with this problem (coming from Oculus CV1, PSVR1, Valve Index, PSVR2 (have two of these even).

Minsc

Gold Member
Was messing around with WiFi + Virtual Desktop on my simrig and while staring into the black abyss at one point when shit didn't want to work, I noticed it

a single dead pixel right dead center

Had this thing a few weeks, I really don't wanna deal with this ...

First headset I had with this problem (coming from Oculus CV1, PSVR1, Valve Index, PSVR2 (have two of these even).

That stinks, pretty bad luck, I've almost never read about any dead pixels on VR devices. And generally they seem more common on OLED devices IMO.

At least Meta's support is really good, although if you bought it from Amazon/Best Buy/etc, you can probably just do an easy swap.

Top Bottom