• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So I’ve been enjoying the app Bigscreen the last month or so. Just sitting back, watching 3D movies and shooting the shit with strangers.

Last night we were about to start Venom in 3D, and I asked, if Venom could beat either of the Terminators in Terminator 2. That was an insane conversation.

Then while we waited to start a movie, some dude was throwing out accusations that scientists couldn’t possibly know how long sharks have been around on this planet. This pissed off a few of the science geeks in the room.

Romulus

So I’ve been enjoying the app Bigscreen the last month or so. Just sitting back, watching 3D movies and shooting the shit with strangers.

Last night we were about to start Venom in 3D, and I asked, if Venom could beat either of the Terminators in Terminator 2. That was an insane conversation.

Then while we waited to start a movie, some dude was throwing out accusations that scientists couldn’t possibly know how long sharks have been around on this planet. This pissed off a few of the science geeks in the room.

Yeah some of the VR movie theaters conversations I've had have been pretty funny.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've never watched a 3d movie on my quest 3... guess I should check out Bigscreen to see its rentable library. (I don't like social features though, I'll immediately turn those off.)

Or there are apparently some decent apps to play your downloaded 3D movies from Plex or local network but I haven't had the time to investigate them... has anyone tested them out?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've never watched a 3d movie on my quest 3... guess I should check out Bigscreen to see its rentable library. (I don't like social features though, I'll immediately turn those off.)

Or there are apparently some decent apps to play your downloaded 3D movies from Plex or local network but I haven't had the time to investigate them... has anyone tested them out?
I haven’t tried any other movie apps on the Quest 3. But even if you don’t like the social aspects, you can mute everyone and block anyone that’s bothering you. It’s really simple.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Enable DLNA in plex and you can stream your 3D movies using bigscreen.

Minsc

Gold Member
hmm that's local network though, yes? I host all my content on a remote plex server/seedbox, would be annoying to have to use my PC as a middleman on local network for it.

Some of the apps probably let you add servers though IP, check out SkyBox and 4XVR too, if Big Screen doesn't. SkyBox is better at playing back videos anyway, and 4XVR is better yet, at 3D videos, not 2D.

Strange to have /your/ content hosted remotely on a Plex server. Half the point for me is to host it on my own network, then if the internet goes down, which happens from time to time, it doesn't disrupt my media watching for the most part. Local servers aren't affected by network outages. Plus there's always the issue of putting my personally ripped movies and shows on to a remote server, even if it's encrypted, I am always paranoid it'll be swept for copyright and I'll have it all deleted on me.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I picked up a Quest 3 128GB in-store from GameStop for $405 with the $25 off $250 pro coupon. Just a PSA: when you buy a NEW Quest 3 or Quest 3s between 9/25/2024-4/30/2025 you get to redeem Batman Arkham Shadow upon activation. GS didn't show anything about Batman for the Quest 3 128GB so I was worried, but it had an option to redeem and now says 'Purchased' in my library. Additionally they give you a 3 month trial of Quest+ subscription which will take you through the holiday season.

Quest 3 at $430 with Batman is a killer deal. I would still recommend that over a Quest 3s unless you are hard capped at $300.

Romulus

I picked up a Quest 3 128GB in-store from GameStop for $405 with the $25 off $250 pro coupon. Just a PSA: when you buy a NEW Quest 3 or Quest 3s between 9/25/2024-4/30/2025 you get to redeem Batman Arkham Shadow upon activation. GS didn't show anything about Batman for the Quest 3 128GB so I was worried, but it had an option to redeem and now says 'Purchased' in my library. Additionally they give you a 3 month trial of Quest+ subscription which will take you through the holiday season.

Quest 3 at $430 with Batman is a killer deal. I would still recommend that over a Quest 3s unless you are hard capped at $300.

That's a solid deal. Enjoy those pancake lenses.

Last edited:

Romulus

Pretty damn impressive for standalone. Especially the second half of the video.

Quest 3

GZDo7uYXgAAheos

GZDo7MQXIAAmArW

The basic difference comes down to lightning, which is noticeably more drastic on PSVR2/PCVR, but still. Pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom