• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta shuts down developer Ready at Dawn (Lone Echo, The Order 1886, GoW Chains of Olympus/Ghost of Sparta, Daxter)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

What you need to know​

• Ready at Dawn Studios, part of Oculus Studios, is closing permanently, effective immediately.
  • The studio produced some of the highest-rated VR games ever, including Lone Echo, Lone Echo 2, and Echo VR, as well as some PSP classics like God of War and Daxter.
  • Meta says that Ready at Dawn employees are encouraged to apply to other studios within the Oculus Studios umbrella.
  • The reduction was made to meet the new Reality Labs budgetary ceiling rather than as a proactive cost-saving initiative.

Last edited:

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
iu

GHG

Always felt a bit odd that they sold to Meta, Playstation would've been a more natural fit. Guess it didn't work out.

They wanted to dedicate themselves to VR so it was the only fit that made sense at the time. In fact, I'd say that still remains to be true for any team that wants to focus on VR.

Same it didn't work out, they've done some good work there.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I've got a Quest 3 and I've not hear about Lone Echo. WTH?
They released on Meta's PC storefront only. It was rumored both games were being ported to the Quest platform. Now that rumor looks less likely.

If you have a VR-capable gaming PC, go grab both Lone Echo I & II, they're their best games ever by far, and that includes all the stuff they did for PlayStation.

They had an incredible studio and used them to mkae VR games.
According to a post above, they themselves wanted to make VR games so they went to Meta.

Their VR games were even better than everything they did before. It's like RAD finally found what they wanted to make. But Meta kept treating them like a red-headed stepchild.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

LcUIZJa.png

Just a reminder of the other studios they have. Sanzaru (Asgard's Wrath) worked on PlayStation games like Sly Cooper, Camouflaj (Iron Man VR, Batman Arkham Shadow) members worked on Metal Gear Solid 4, and Armature (Resident Evil 4 VR Edition) was founded by former Retro Studios directors who worked on the Metroid Prime series.

Fbh

This studio had such an uneven trajectory, went from making beloved PSP games to failing with the Order and then finding critical but not commercial success in the VR space
Hopefully most of them can be accommodated in other meta studios.

They released on Meta's PC storefront only. It was rumored both games were being ported to the Quest platform. Now that rumor looks less likely.

If you have a VR-capable gaming PC, go grab both Lone Echo I & II, they're their best games ever by far, and that includes all the stuff they did for PlayStation.

Man that sucks, it's why I still think all the major companies in the VR space should do more to work together. I know they all want to sell stuff on their own store but that only seems to work if you have a successful and high selling product like the iPhone or Playstation. This whole exclusivity thing when you end up only selling your stuff to a niche audience within a niche market doesn't seem to be working out.
Games like Lone Echo should be on Steam, PSVR, Metaquest, etc instead of locked to a single PC storefront.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I loved their GOW games, but The Order just didnt click for me despite the mind blowing graphics. The lack of skippable cutscenes ruined replay value, and the constant walking sections just made it feel like a walking simulator like hellblade even though it actually has a lot more combat sequences with some fairly decent mechanics.

I think they went too far with the filmic approach which is probably why sony ditched them. Their GOW games were a perfect blend of cinematics and action. This felt like 70% walking cinematics and 30% action when it shouldve been the other way around. unhcarted 1, Uncharted 3, most CoD campaigns are all 7-8 hours long but they didnt feel this walky and talky.

I still think sony shouldve given them another shot. one mistake shouldnt define a studio. But i honestly dont know why they sold themselves to meta instead. I guess the money was good.

Top Bottom