• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajang

Batman games are now more popular and we are not sure yet that Konami will spend enough money advertising TPP.

It's one of their biggest games, I think they will advertise it properly. And Sony is going to help either way. They have exclusive marketing deals. In Asia its also exclusive to PS4 and PS3.

It's one of their biggest games, I think they will advertise it properly. And Sony is going to help either way. They have exclusive marketing deals. In Asia its also exclusive to PS4 and PS3.

Its funny how sony is advertising both batman & tpp

I'll be happy if TPP will sell more than Batman. Before that shit with Konami I was in team Jay, but now I am not sure anymore.

LowParry

Just wait until we get close to Star Wars. That thing is going to be nuts with Sony.

MajorTom

This seems to happen a lot. Is it because Xbox is almost nonexistent in the East?

I'll be happy if TPP will sell more than Batman. Before that shit with Konami I was in team Jay, but now I am not sure anymore.

you know who will win sponge. Look deep inside

11UV03_AS01.JPG

This seems to happen a lot. Is it because Xbox is almost nonexistent in the East?

Yup. In japan the xbone is at 50k LTD while PS4 is 1.4 million. Add in countries like south korea and taiwan the xbox does not have a foot hold in asia.

Shy

I can honestly say that I don't feel like 2 could fit the criterion presented here.
I do, because in the original version (not substance/HD collection) you were asked if you played a MGS game before, and if you answered no, then you started as Raiden.
Also the way 2 was written it was never meant to have a sequel.

So the fact you could come in to the game and never play as the series's main protagonist, as well as it never supposed to have a sequel is why 2 was my answer.

*i can't remember for sure if you were asked in substance if you have ever played a MGS game before

Rajang

I do, because in the original version (not substance/HD collection) you were asked if you played a MGS game before, and if you answered no, then you started as Raiden.

So the fact you could come in to the game and never play as the series's main protagonist, as well as it never supposed to have a sequel is why 2 was my answer.

The point of 2 was also that the player had played MGS1. Just like Raiden went through VR of the Shadow Moses incident. Raiden is the player. He is the fan of Solid Snake. Kojima played with the fact that fans wanted to have the sequel they craved: another MGS playing with the legendary Solid Snake, but they got something else instead.

This is a pretty good analysis of MGS2 (if you're interested): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

Of all MGS games, mgs2 was needed sequel more than any other.

Rajang

Nah, there was too much left unanswered.

I disagree.

MGS2 was meant to be the end of the saga. It was meant to have an ambiguous ending. That's one of the reasons MGS4 failed as well. It tried to explain things that were never meant to be explained. It was meant to be open to interpertation. The player had to decide himself what they wanted to believe, what was real what was not real etc. It was meant to make the player question things.

LowParry

Didn't they have to change the ending because of 9/11?

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_2:_Sons_of_Liberty

Significant changes to the game's ending were made late in development following 9/11. A sequence depicting Arsenal Gear's displacement of the Statue of Liberty and crashing through half of Manhattan was removed, as was a short coda that was supposed to appear after the credits, consisting of a newscast showing the Statue of Liberty's new resting place on Ellis Island. At the point where Solidus Snake dies, Raiden was to have cut the rope on Federal Hall's flagpole, causing an American flag to fall over Solidus' body, though the development team removed all the American flags from the game.[9] For most of the game's development, Raiden's name was written in katakana as ライデン or literally "Raiden." After 9/11, Raiden's name began to be written in kanji as 雷電.

"Since the story resembled 911 closely, and some people said ‘Raiden’ reminds them of ‘Bin Laden.’"
―Hideo Kojima

MajorTom

I disagree.

MGS2 was meant to be the end of the saga. It was meant to have an ambiguous ending. That's one of the reasons MGS4 failed as well. It tried to explain things that were never meant to be explained. It was meant to be open to interpertation. The player had to decide himself what they wanted to believe, what was real what was not real etc. It was meant to make the player question things.
But where did Ocelot go? What happened to Olga's kid? What's happening with the patriots?
I know some of the questions were answered in MGS4 but that's not my point. I still want a direct sequel to MGS2.

Shy

The point of 2 was also that the player had played MGS1. Just like Raiden went trhough VR of the Shadow Moses incident. Raiden is the player. He is the fan of Solid Snake. Kojima played with the fact that fans wanted to have the sequel they craved: another MGS playing with the legendary Solid Snake, but they got something else instead.
I know part of the game was a deconstruction of the concept of sequels, i was going to and should put that in my post.

my point was that a new person would never have known that stuff.
This is a pretty good analysis of MGS2 (if you're interested): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw
I've seen George before.
Nah, there was too much left unanswered.
The were meant to deliberately ambiguous and never meant to be answered.
One of the central themes of MGS2 was for the player to find his own answers.

Also GTA 3 had cut content due to 9/11

About 1% different. We removed only one mission that referenced terrorists and changed a few other cosmetic details – car details, a couple of ped comments, lines of radio dialogue etc – the game came out a very short time later. The biggest change was the US packaging which remixed the previous packaging into what became our signature style – because the previous packaging [which was released as the cover of the game in Europe] was, we felt, too raw after 9/11. All of the more extreme rumours are amusing but impossible to have been achieved in such a short period of time.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19981/grand-theft-auto-iii-your-questions-answered-part-two-911-the-gh.html

Vally

Yeah and they also tweeted recently about having to work during the weekend to polish the latest build... maybe I'm reading too much into that but I do believe a beta is coming soon

Rajang

Yeah and they also tweeted recently about having to work during the weekend to polish the latest build... maybe I'm reading too much into that but I do believe a beta is coming soon

Damn, I need a PS4. I want to play the beta.

LowParry

They would be foolish not to have a beta. I for one am looking very much forward to MGO. I just can't imagine all support for it would just drop with the whole Konami thing going on. It's not like they'd be working on a full game. Plus they can money shop items, etc. Konami would just love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom