• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drake is no rookie, he killed enough people in his lifetime to know how to handle a weapon the right way.
His gun philosophy is simple: gun is like a camera - just point and shoot.
Uncharted is NOT a military simulator so don't expect it to be full-proffesional about it.

He's gun philosophy is simple: gun is like a camera - just point and shoot.
Uncharted is NOT a military simulator so don't expect it to be full-proffesional about it.

It is true that Uncharted is not a military simulator but I agree with Snake. Nothing can beat MGS on the small details and some games may have to focus a bit more on some of those details.

It is true that Uncharted is not a military simulator but I agree with Snake. Nothing can beat MGS on the small details and some games may have to focus a bit more on some of those details.

True that especially gun safety is fucking important and video games teaches us gamer of many stuff.

If you are learning gun safety from a video game that isn't expressly designed to teach you, you're doing it wrong and you should put the gun down right now.
It's not what I had in mind. Gamers are learning by repetition many useful things from games such as driving techniques from racing games.
I had a real gun in my hand only once and it's owner complimented me for keeping my finger on bail and hand position on gun handle. And I knew it only by playing MGS3 and watching how jack handles his guns.
Just think about how many accidents occured just because rookies put their finger on the trigger and someone gets shot.

It's simple like that: don't turn your wheels while braking and don't put your finger on the trigger unless you're going to shoot.

You may laugh but there's so much true in that commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtA5suMOOc

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I meant nobody should play as Big Boss or Ocelot, because

I will play as Big Boss :)

Cool. I'll be
The Boss.
;)

Ocelot has been awesome in both MGOs so far. Hope he's up to scratch in 3.

It's not what I had in mind. Gamers are learning by repetition many useful things from games such as driving techniques from racing games.
I had a real gun in my hand only once and it's owner complimented me for keeping my finger on bail and hand position on gun handle. And I knew it only by playing MGS3 and watching how jack handles his guns.
Just think about how many accidents occured just because rookies put their finger on the trigger and someone gets shot.

It's simple like that: don't turn your wheels while braking and don't put your finger on the trigger unless you're going to shoot.

You may laugh but there's so much true in that commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtA5suMOOc

I learnt my driving technique from Burnout. :)

It's mah birthdaaaaaaaaaaay, bros

Happy birthday!
gvekGtr.png

bojie1986

hi brothers! i have been lurking here since 2014, metal gear is my favorite series, i check this thread everyday lol also, happy birthday to dawg!
my birthday is today as well :)

Hypron

After playing that series for two months straight (and 230 or so hours of gameplay), I finally completed Peace Walker this evening! This brings closure to my MGS playthrough in anticipation of The Phantom Pain.

1436784520-metal-gear-solid-all-platinums.png

Completing Peace Walker took about 70 hours according to my save, which slightly less than what MGS 2 took me. Those 70 hours didn't feel tedious though, I very much enjoyed my time with the game. I gotta say though, it's a flawed game. But the pros outweigh the cons so all is fine.

I both liked and disliked the structure of the game. I felt that it was a lot better in some ways because it really makes the game more replayable, since you don't have to play through the entire thing at once: you can pick and choose levels, and your progress carries over to all the extra ops. I liked being able to replay levels over and over again until I mastered them. I think I looked up a guide for 1 extra op and found strategies for all the other ones by myself (or by playing in CO-OP - more on that later -). I just didn't feel like doing that at all for the other games in the series because of their linear structure (e.g. I ended up looking at guides for the MGS4 Big Boss Emblem playthrough). On the other hand, I feel like having the main story split into so many missions takes away from the impact and intensity of the experience. I wasn't gripped by the story as much a I was when playing the other games in the series, even though it definitely had some cool moments.

Mechanically the game is mostly a step back from MGS4 (apart from being able to chain CQC attacks which I really liked) but that's understandable considering it came out on a portable console that had less inputs. It's maybe a bit too easy as well, especially once you start getting higher end gear (the lvl 5 Mk22/Mosin-Nagant and Soliton radar combo is OP as fuck for example). However, it still feels really good to play. I especially like how MGS2-like it feels when you use the sneaking suit. I just love running up to and holding up enemy guards one after the other.

The boss fights are a bit tedious though. They just have too much health compared to the damage you deal when you first encounter them. That issue solves itself once you unlock higher end gear (the mk47 tears through pretty much everything for example) but I'm sure this could have been handled a bit better. There's also one thing that kinda annoys me about the bossfights. They are a bit too unrealistic for my tastes.

This series is not particularly grounded in reality (esp. with regard to the technology available in 60's/70's), but this game takes things a step even further. I'm sorry but REX looks pretty shitty when compared to some of the stuff in that game lol. You have what is essentially a flying unmanned metal gear sporting a railgun for example. Or a metal gear (ZEKE) that's about a hundred times more agile than REX while having pretty much the same equipment. 30 years before REX was developed. Otacon must be a real scrub compared to Huey.

The AI weapons are just too over the top imo. The Metal Gears (and even the Shagohod) in the other games in the series seemed to have real weight to them when they moved around or attacked. Here you can see ZEKE or peace walker effortlessly jump 20 metres up in the air. ZEKE in particular looks straight out of some mecha anime (it does make for a cool fight though).

Also, I just refuse to accept that Big Boss can stop a Metal Gear/AI Weapon's foot. That just doesn't make any sense even within the ridiculous nature of the series so I'm just going to go assume it's a cool gameplay mechanic that's not canon.

But let's stop rambling about stuff like that — it barely detracts from the experience and sometimes makes the gameplay better.

The feature that I surprisingly ended up liking the most though, was the co-op (or CO-OPs should I say). I played a couple of missions with randoms before being joined by a Japanese guy. He joined me a couple more times, so I ended up adding him to my friend list and we ended up S-ranking all the vehicle battles together; and after that he helped me get all the trophies I was missing. I had a blast playing with him. He seemed to perfectly know the game inside out and basically taught me how to handle all the boss encounters and vehicle battles. He'd use voice commands to tell me to take cover and he'd then show me a technique. After that he'd spam voice commands along the lines of "you can do it" and "I believe in you" until I managed to pull them off as well. I picked things up pretty quickly so we could then split tasks to get rid of the enemies faster. It was a just great way to learn and probably the most fun I've ever had playing online.

I could write more about the game but it's half past midnight and I need to get quite a bit of work done when I wake up so I'll probably just leave it at that for now. TLDR: Peace walker is a great (but flawed) game. 9/10 would platinum again.

Overall, I am extremely glad I finally got around to playing this series. The games are excellent from a gameplay standpoint and just have so many memorable moments. It would have been a real shame not to experience that.

Now I'm probably going to take a video game break and concentrate solely on my PhD until MGSV gets released (hopefully my PS4 gets replaced by Sony before then).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Looks like I might play MGSV august 7 :D

If i was you i would hold off, remember that feeling when you play a game you anticipate so bad for the first time ever? don't ruin this for yourself, we're so close now!

It's mah birthdaaaaaaaaaaay, bros

hi brothers! i have been lurking here since 2014, metal gear is my favorite series, i check this thread everyday lol also, happy birthday to dawg!

Happy birthday, guys!

MGSV confirmed to be playable at Gamescom. This increases the chance that they'll show something new, right?

God, I hope not-- they will probably just let people play the first open-world mission like they did at E3 behind closed doors.

Zach

So I was one of the guys who was sure that The Phantom Pain would end with you playing as Solid Snake taking down Big Boss for the first time, but has this already been discussed: What if the game ends with Solid Snake infiltrating your base and bringing about your downfall? You'd play Big Boss the entire time and it would kind of frame Solid as the bad guy but ultimately further paint him as a sympathetic pawn. And it could be, like, a sad tragedy of an ending for all involved.

None of this will probably happen, and surely everything's been discussed in this thread already, but it was my shower-thought from this morning. :D

Rajang

Welcome brother.

tumblr_lw4e3yPclH1qd6p6fo1_500.gif

And congrats with your birthday as well.

After playing that series for two months straight (and 230 or so hours of gameplay), I finally completed Peace Walker this evening! This brings closure to my MGS playthrough in anticipation of The Phantom Pain.

1436784520-metal-gear-solid-all-platinums.png

Completing Peace Walker took about 70 hours according to my save, which slightly less than what MGS 2 took me. Those 70 hours didn't feel tedious though, I very much enjoyed my time with the game. I gotta say though, it's a flawed game. But the pros outweigh the cons so all is fine.

I both liked and disliked the structure of the game. I felt that it was a lot better in some ways because it really makes the game more replayable, since you don't have to play through the entire thing at once: you can pick and choose levels, and your progress carries over to all the extra ops. I liked being able to replay levels over and over again until I mastered them. I think I looked up a guide for 1 extra op and found strategies for all the other ones by myself (or by playing in CO-OP - more on that later -). I just didn't feel like doing that at all for the other games in the series because of their linear structure (e.g. I ended up looking at guides for the MGS4 Big Boss Emblem playthrough). On the other hand, I feel like having the main story split into so many missions takes away from the impact and intensity of the experience. I wasn't gripped by the story as much a I was when playing the other games in the series, even though it definitely had some cool moments.

Mechanically the game is mostly a step back from MGS4 (apart from being able to chain CQC attacks which I really liked) but that's understandable considering it came out on a portable console that had less inputs. It's maybe a bit too easy as well, especially once you start getting higher end gear (the lvl 5 Mk22/Mosin-Nagant and Soliton radar combo is OP as fuck for example). However, it still feels really good to play. I especially like how MGS2-like it feels when you use the sneaking suit. I just love running up to and holding up enemy guards one after the other.

The boss fights are a bit tedious though. They just have too much health compared to the damage you deal when you first encounter them. That issue solves itself once you unlock higher end gear (the mk47 tears through pretty much everything for example) but I'm sure this could have been handled a bit better. There's also one thing that kinda annoys me about the bossfights. They are a bit too unrealistic for my tastes.

This series is not particularly grounded in reality (esp. with regard to the technology available in 60's/70's), but this game takes things a step even further. I'm sorry but REX looks pretty shitty when compared to some of the stuff in that game lol. You have what is essentially a flying unmanned metal gear sporting a railgun for example. Or a metal gear (ZEKE) that's about a hundred times more agile than REX while having pretty much the same equipment. 30 years before REX was developed. Otacon must be a real scrub compared to Huey.

The AI weapons are just too over the top imo. The Metal Gears (and even the Shagohod) in the other games in the series seemed to have real weight to them when they moved around or attacked. Here you can see ZEKE or peace walker effortlessly jump 20 metres up in the air. ZEKE in particular looks straight out of some mecha anime (it does make for a cool fight though).

Also, I just refuse to accept that Big Boss can stop a Metal Gear/AI Weapon's foot. That just doesn't make any sense even within the ridiculous nature of the series so I'm just going to go assume it's a cool gameplay mechanic that's not canon.

But let's stop rambling about stuff like that — it barely detracts from the experience and sometimes makes the gameplay better.

The feature that I surprisingly ended up liking the most though, was the co-op (or CO-OPs should I say). I played a couple of missions with randoms before being joined by a Japanese guy. He joined me a couple more times, so I ended up adding him to my friend list and we ended up S-ranking all the vehicle battles together; and after that he helped me get all the trophies I was missing. I had a blast playing with him. He seemed to perfectly know the game inside out and basically taught me how to handle all the boss encounters and vehicle battles. He'd use voice commands to tell me to take cover and he'd then show me a technique. After that he'd spam voice commands along the lines of "you can do it" and "I believe in you" until I managed to pull them off as well. I picked things up pretty quickly so we could then split tasks to get rid of the enemies faster. It was a just great way to learn and probably the most fun I've ever had playing online.

I could write more about the game but it's half past midnight and I need to get quite a bit of work done when I wake up so I'll probably just leave it at that for now. TLDR: Peace walker is a great (but flawed) game. 9/10 would platinum again.

Overall, I am extremely glad I finally got around to playing this series. The games are excellent from a gameplay standpoint and just have so many memorable moments. It would have been a real shame not to experience that.

Now I'm probably going to take a video game break and concentrate solely on my PhD until MGSV gets released (hopefully my PS4 gets replaced by Sony before then).

Great read, thanks for sharing.

And I completely agree with your tl:dr.

wilsonda

So I was one of the guys who was sure that The Phantom Pain would end with you playing as Solid Snake taking down Big Boss for the first time, but has this already been discussed: What if the game ends with Solid Snake infiltrating your base and bringing about your downfall? You'd play Big Boss the entire time and it would kind of frame Solid as the bad guy but ultimately further paint him as a sympathetic pawn. And it could be, like, a sad tragedy of an ending for all involved.

None of this will probably happen, and surely everything's been discussed in this thread already, but it was my shower-thought from this morning. :D

Not a bad idea would love to see.this scenario whether it's from snake's or big boss's perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom