• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really haven't thought about the bosses that much. I really hope at least some of them take advantage of the open world. I don't mind fighting a boss in a small area but doing what MGS3 did with The End and justifying almost every mechanic for that boss fight.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't want to be spoiled either but that's a bit over the top. Having the initial surprise sucks but are you saying you don't replay games because it's worthless knowing when you know what happens. If a game is good, the gameplay and story is still enjoyable whether you know what happens or not. That's what you're paying for.

You ever heard the religious saying, "you shall know them by their fruits".

It isn't the first time I climbed up a ladder or the first time answering a codec in the middle of a sneaking mission.

My memory is pretty good. I memorize objects, certain ways the camera pans, and especially moments when the atmosphere plays more into the game than the game play does.

I get a screen burn of what I see. Of course some might find that childish and yes I do believe you can still enjoy a game, but now I'm paying for what I'm getting. I was like this years ago with spoilers. I'm paying to know what Snake is going to fight and the action sequences besides walking, running, swimming, and etc.

Walking around in a game doesn't spoil a lot, but here's the thing: Showing tidbits of a scene or a partial boss fight alludes the player. The initial glimpse is why I play. I want to play, so I can fight. I don't want to see the entire fight or know how grounded the boss battle is before I get to do it myself. Things have changed and some things about gaming are taken to the point of exposure. Expose how we felt when we were young and had a brand new PS2 game like MGS2 or Silent Hill 2 in the car on the way back home. We saw screenshots, monsters, certain levels, but that was it. It wasn't a full 45 minutes of game play where bosses, story arcs, and the like are put on show for everyone to see. We got to that part of the game and we felt like we were the only person viewing that screen. Look at what gaming has become. Now we can watch User444222 play the entire boss battle and tell us his reactions while our money sits on these games that we fell in love with many many years ago. Sometimes the person giving us all the details wasn't even around when we were saving our progress to our memory cards. It might sound selfish, childish, and rude, but that's part of what we all found special about video games.

pahamrick

On a scale from 1-10, how spoiler-ey is this first boss in the video exactly? Are we talking like just an APC or a major character?

From what I was told
a trailer has already shown it off
. <--Not a game spoiler, just in case someone doesn't want anything to possible connect with the spoiler.

Don't post anything regarding the bosses or spoilers here guys, use PM's for all that. D:

Which is why it probably wasn't the first video posted on Youtube, wonder how/why gamespot got it to post.

Was it with their review? I'm not checking the reviews so I have no clue. Well that also means Greg didn't have exclusivity regarding their own footage. It's all kinds of revelations today lol.

pahamrick

Was it with their review? I'm not checking the reviews so I have no clue. Well that also means Greg didn't have exclusivity regarding their own footage. It's all kinds of revelations today lol.

No clue, the only review I've checked out was Greg's since it was marked no spoilers. The first video posted on his youtube was supposedly video 3, the one gamestop has is video 2. Video 1 (the prologue) won't be shown until after launch.

You ever heard the religious saying, "you shall know them by their fruits".

It isn't the first time I climbed up a ladder or the first time answering a codec in the middle of a sneaking mission.

My memory is pretty good. I memorize objects, certain ways the camera pans, and especially moments when the atmosphere plays more into the game than the game play does.

I get a screen burn of what I see. Of course some might find that childish and yes I do believe you can still enjoy a game, but now I'm paying for what I'm getting. I was like this years ago with spoilers. I'm paying to know what Snake is going to fight and the action sequences besides walking, running, swimming, and etc.

Walking around in a game doesn't spoil a lot, but here's the thing: Showing tidbits of a scene or a partial boss fight alludes the player. The initial glimpse is why I play. I want to play, so I can fight. I don't want to see the entire fight or know how grounded the boss battle is before I get to do it myself. Things have changed and some things about gaming are taken to the point of exposure. Expose how we felt when we were young and had a brand new PS2 game like MGS2 or Silent Hill 2 in the car on the way back home. We saw screenshots, monsters, certain levels, but that was it. It wasn't a full 45 minutes of game play where bosses, story arcs, and the like are put on show for everyone to see. We got to that part of the game and we felt like we were the only person viewing that screen. Look at what gaming has become. Now we can watch User444222 play the entire boss battle and tell us his reactions while our money sits on these games that we fell in love with many many years ago. Sometimes the person giving us all the details wasn't even around when we were saving our progress to our memory cards. It might sound selfish, childish, and rude, but that's part of what we all found special about video games.
I understand what you're saying and I can relate to having a good memory and always having that initial experience define how you view it forever. Still, you should realize that these people aren't showing the game just to piss you off. They're doing it for entertainment or to inform people who don't know much about the game. Not everyone has followed every game since it's first installment. People who use that info to spoil the game for people in comments sections suck but the people who are playing the game for people aren't doing anything wrong.

pahamrick

Yong in his impressions video is saying that he played FOB and he didn't say anything about microtransactions...

Weren't the youtubers playing separate builds that had timers disabled for a lot of the stuff? I remember that being said a few days back. Could be why.

Palpable

Miller's LP apparently.

Doesn't sound too bad, granted it's a PW tank level-spoiler and not Psycho Mantis-level. I'm still not watching it... yet. I must perservere.

I watched most of it. I didn't see any boss fight. In fact, it started with mission 3, after Kaz Miller's
rescue & them heading to Mother Base.
His LP doesn't show mission 2 with the cutscene from E3 2013 where Boss finds Miller.

Hey guys! The Phantom Pain cover has a stylized V/exclamation mark overlaid on BB's head, would anyone happen to have that V just by itself (red on white background or something)?

Embearded

Weren't the youtubers playing separate builds that had timers disabled for a lot of the stuff? I remember that being said a few days back. Could be why.

I watched most of it. I didn't see any boss fight. In fact, it started with mission 3, after Kaz Miller's
rescue & them heading to Mother Base.
His LP doesn't show mission 2 with the cutscene from E3 2013 where Boss finds Miller.

ahh fuck!
Anyway, Yong says a couple of new stuff and he doesn't spoil.

No clue, the only review I've checked out was Greg's since it was marked no spoilers. The first video posted on his youtube was supposedly video 3, the one gamestop has is video 2. Video 1 (the prologue) won't be shown until after launch.

That's odd. His LP's split into two channels? Either way you guys should keep far from LP's. We all knew it'll have spoilers. :/

pahamrick

That's odd. His LP's split into two channels? Either way you guys should keep far from LP's. We all knew it'll have spoilers. :/

Yeah, I haven't touched any of the videos. I know what little I know because a friend on Steam was laughing about people freaking out about the spoilers and let slip something.

raven777

Only the one on Gamespot, which is different from the one they uploaded on the Kinda Funny youtube channel. It's not even really a fight, more like an introduction.

oh ok so he has 2 different let's play videos uploaded (one on gamespot, one on Kindafunny)

Are the 2 videos drastically different?

-Deimos

oh ok so he has 2 different let's play videos uploaded (one on gamespot, one on Kindafunny)

Are the 2 videos drastically different?

They show off different missions.

Xanathus

I watched the Kinda Funny video and all it shows are a cutscene with Miller, the Mother Base tutorial, some open world stuff, the start of a mission, the dog, and Mother Base customization.

Palpable

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain-Steelbook-Shinkawa.jpg

Anyone have a full resolution image of this Shinkawa art?

&#12300;MGSV TPP&#12301;&#25163;&#36896;&#12426;&#12525;&#12531;&#12481;&#12539;&#12501;&#12449;&#12531;&#12539;&#12488;&#12524;&#12540;&#12521;&#12540;&#12300;&#12513;&#12479;&#12523;&#12462;&#12450;&#12398;&#36914;&#27497;&#12392;&#35519;&#21644;&#12301;&#12398;&#20844;&#38283;&#26085;&#26178;&#12364;&#27770;&#12414;&#12426;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;&#12290;

8/25
US&#12399;LA&#26178;&#38291;&#12398;6:00AM&#12289;NY&#26178;&#38291;&#12398;9:00AM&#12290;
UK&#12399;&#12525;&#12531;&#12489;&#12531;&#26178;&#38291;&#12398;2:00PM&#12290;
&#26085;&#26412;&#12399;11:00PM&#12290; http://t.co/QMFgfAPEVm

CNKCEQZVAAA-QrX.jpg:large

Roldan

Given that the trailer is focused on the "evolution of MGS", I believe that that's a young BB, hence the bandana, sneaking suit from MGS3 and lack of horn.

City 17

MGGAF, there are tons of MGS story recaps for the newcomers... so what's the best/most complete one out there?

The length wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I haven't touched any of the videos. I know what little I know because a friend on Steam was laughing about people freaking out about the spoilers and let slip something.

Those indirect split ups are what I'm most afraid of. The frequency of slip ups will keep rising now that LP and reviews are out. Be safe brothers!

Given that the trailer is focused on the "evolution of MGS", I believe that that's a young BB, hence the bandana, sneaking suit from MGS3 and lack of horn.

This makes me wonder if we'll see a few flashbacks of MGS3, they already have a model ready after all. Imagine Boss vs Snake scene in Fox Engine. :O

MGGAF, there are tons of MGS story recaps for the newcomers... so what's the best/most complete one out there?

Watch KefkaProduction's MGS movies.

If you're in the mood to watch someone play it for the first time then I highly recommend Giantbomb's Metal Gear Scanlon, been going through it just to refresh my memories of the game and it's damn enjoyable. Shame it's locked behind premium(understandably) but it's worth every penny.

some of the peace walker comments in the review thread....

WOW.

I hated it so I can relate. Loved the gameplay, hated the grind, hated the bosses, hated that you have to do some mumbo jumbo to unlock the final chapter/ending and listening to the tapes to understand more of the story. There are also hidden tapes and while it's not important to the overall story, they still add depth to a certain character in the game which is important to me.

Skele7on

Banned
I hated it so I can relate. Loved the gameplay, hated the grind, hated the bosses, hated that you have to do some mumbo jumbo to unlock the final chapter/ending and listening to the tapes to understand more of the story. There are also hidden tapes and while it's not important to the overall story, they still add depth to a certain character in the game which is important to me.

But one of the things I found with Peace Walker as I played it was damn if this was a fully fledged console release this would be absolutely amazing, I feel the RNG and a lot of the repetitiveness of the game was purely down to it being on a handheld.

But one of the things I found with Peace Walker as I played it was damn if this was a fully fledged console release this would be absolutely amazing, I feel the RNG and a lot of the repetitiveness of the game was purely down to it being on a handheld.

To be honest, I only liked PW after I knew that I had to grind to get better equipment and shit. So, in the end I liked it but compared to the other MGS games that are made by Kojima, it's nothing since those are like on a special pedestal to me lol. While this aspect of MGS5 disappoints me, I am still excited for this game and have had it on pre-order ever since the summer. I also forgot to mention, QTE cutscenes = terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom