• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Mets39

Oh God ... I STILL can't connect to the MGO Online Shop! :kittonwyangryface.gif:

Seriously, we all want trophies for this game but i'd take PSN support any day :(

woxel1

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue start to play MGO. I sent an request to join the Frog clan, thinking that was the right thing to do. Anyone here still play?

xintin

I still play pretty regularly if any gaffers want to join me.
add xintin or Rilo Kiley to your FL. I'm on one of those two a few times a week, and will probably hope on for Survival tonight.

Dunk#7

My clan won one of the tournaments tonight. I get a purple beret. yay haha

Look me up

Character Name: Dunk
Clan: Toy-Soldiers
Level: 14
Grade: BB (1505)

Any tips for leveling your character up? I'm only at level 6, but I have logged almost 100 hours in MGO. I can get headshots ok, just not as quick as the high ups.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
RadioHeadAche said:
I applied for membership in the Gaf clan. However, I have yet to be admitted.
Sorry, that was my bad, haven't fired up MGO in a long time. You're in now.

Anyone here still active and wanna take over the main clan?

Dunk#7

Glitchers are back!!!

Im so sick of it! Konami please work on a patch.

5 different teams glitched against us in survival tonight.

MNC

Awesome, they released a demo and I finally got around to play that part of MGS4. I was worried if I liked this but I am liking it alot :)

Bit-Bit

I ran into some weird issue last night. I kept after someone kills me and I re-spawn. I would die as soon as I come back. This is the first time I've encountered this.

Also, I just started getting back into the groove of things. The sloth rank is a little discouraging though. How do I get another animal that doesn't imply that I'm slow? It's not my fault everyone can pull head shots on me.

One last thing. Why is COOLIO banned?

That happened to me last night, annoying! Basically the host is lagging everyone out! The host has full bars and everyone else was red.

Bit-Bit said:
Also, I just started getting back into the groove of things. The sloth rank is a little discouraging though. How do I get another animal that doesn't imply that I'm slow? It's not my fault everyone can pull head shots on me.

I know, it sucks.

Whoever is the head of the main NeoGAF clan, I want in. Nobody in the NeoGAF:FoxUnit clan plays anymore. Konami ID & PSN is xBerserker

Ya, I agree it should have been free. At least give the people who paided for that codec pack something too.

Question on the codec pack. When you buy it, do you just get random codec pack voices? I noticed others say different things than I do at times.

MNC

-xBerserker- said:
What modes are available in the demo?
Uhm... I'm not good with the names yet... There's team deatchmatch, the GAKO and KERO return thing and the 1 team cloaked 1 team defense thing.

-xBerserker- said:
Ya, I agree it should have been free. At least give the people who paided for that codec pack something too.

Question on the codec pack. When you buy it, do you just get random codec pack voices? I noticed others say different things than I do at times.

I'm not sure. I know you get things like "thanks" and "sorry" which is pathetic that you need to pay for those.

RadioHeadAche said:
I'm not sure. I know you get things like "thanks" and "sorry" which is pathetic that you need to pay for those.

Ya it is, but I was weak and bought it :( But my favorite one to use is "You brought this upon yourself". Sounds dumb, but the way he says it is funny to me.

-xBerserker- said:
Ya it is, but I was weak and bought it :( But my favorite one to use is "You brought this upon yourself". Sounds dumb, but the way he says it is funny to me.

I'm planning on buying both expansion packs soon, so I'll probably buy that as well.

Damn you, Konami!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Bit-Bit said:
I ran into some weird issue last night. I kept after someone kills me and I re-spawn. I would die as soon as I come back. This is the first time I've encountered this.

One last thing. Why is COOLIO banned?

a joke taken totally out of context* but i was just freed :D

*a gay joke used in the defense of homosexuality.

hopefully pointing out why you were banned doesnt get you banned. if it does someone tell me now so i can edit this >________>

-COOLIO- said:
a joke taken totally out of context* but i was just freed :D

*a gay joke used in the defense of homosexuality.

hopefully pointing out why you were banned doesnt get you banned. if it does someone tell me now so i can edit this >________>

I think you're okay. There used to be a thread where you shared ban stories, but it was locked because people wouldn't stop whining and bitching.

Konami really needs to fix a lot with this game. One thing that needs a lot of tweaking is the host and the process to kick someone. I was playing a one-on-one knife fight with someone else. I usually play such matches to train myself and others. Usually, people are very kind and they follow the rules. Of course, this wasn't the case tonight. After mocking me, I tried to kick him, but of course he got to choose not to be kicked. This is just stupid. If a host has no power, what's the point? Either the host should be allowed to issue an immediate kick, or use a warning system that permits three warnings before a kick. Of course, the other players should still vote, but I think something like that would make things easier.

Also, the leveling system is absurd. Being demoted a level is stupid. I got to level six, but was demoted to five when I performed poorly in a match. I also think there needs to be one more skill slot because four isn't enough.

Maybe Konami would get more business with this game if they improved moderation and actually interacted with users on a personal level, but I guess that's too much to ask. The saddest part, is that I continue to give them my business.

So, did the 1.21 patch do anything?

RadioHeadAche said:
Konami really needs to fix a lot with this game. One thing that needs a lot of tweaking is the host and the process to kick someone. I was playing a one-on-one knife fight with someone else. I usually play such matches to train myself and others. Usually, people are very kind and they follow the rules. Of course, this wasn't the case tonight. After mocking me, I tried to kick him, but of course he got to choose not to be kicked. This is just stupid. If a host has no power, what's the point? Either the host should be allowed to issue an immediate kick, or use a warning system that permits three warnings before a kick. Of course, the other players should still vote, but I think something like that would make things easier.

Also, the leveling system is absurd. Being demoted a level is stupid. I got to level six, but was demoted to five when I performed poorly in a match. I also think there needs to be one more skill slot because four isn't enough.

Maybe Konami would get more business with this game if they improved moderation and actually interacted with users on a personal level, but I guess that's too much to ask. The saddest part, is that I continue to give them my business.

So, did the 1.21 patch do anything?

There is a 1.21 patch? lol I played all day on Monday though, got to level 11 :D

I agree the leveling system needs work. Being demoted is such a drag, makes me not want to play for a while after being demoted ..... 5-6 skill level slots would be perfect I think. I'm trying to level up my box skill to level 3 (currently level 2). :p

After Killzone 2 is out I'm not sure how often I'll go back to this game. But I know I will over time, I still love it.

-xBerserker- said:
There is a 1.21 patch? lol I played all day on Monday though, got to level 11 :D

I agree the leveling system needs work. Being demoted is such a drag, makes me not want to play for a while after being demoted ..... 5-6 skill level slots would be perfect I think. I'm trying to level up my box skill to level 3 (currently level 2). :p

After Killzone 2 is out I'm not sure how often I'll go back to this game. But I know I will over time, I still love it.

I really want Killzone 2 to get here. I will continue to play MGO, but Killzone may get more time from me because it will (hopefully) be competently moderated. I wonder if it would be worth buying the expansions now?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
im planning to killzone it up too, ill still mgo because its like peeing for me now but killzone's recoil and shooting sounds very mgo1 to me :D

The mechanics in Bomb Mission are pretty simple. If you’re on the offense party, you got to find the bomb that’s randomly placed in the map and detonate it within the time limit. Once the bomb is activated for detonation, you have to protect it and wait for it to explode (heh, suicide bombing, what next?).

As for the defensive team, the goal is to defuse the bomb with some coolant and fend off the opposing party from the base.

Awesome! Looks fun :D
http://www.ps3blog.net/2009/01/22/free-explosive-metal-gear-online-dlc-next-week/

Dibbz

MGO is such a great game but I wish they would reduce the prices on the expansion packs. I understand they added 3 new maps characters and modes but seriously DLC should be under £5 :(

I love MGO a lot but it's going to be hard for me to pick the game back up when Killzone 2 is coming out as well as Socom. Maybe the new bomb mode will help breathe some life into it before I move on.

I tried making a knife-only game, but everyone acted like children and I was forced to leave. So fucking annoying, and some prick tried kicking me when I was the host of my game because he didn't want me to kill him despite it being a knife fight.

Nice job, ass!

Does anyone hate the cardboard box in this game?
It ruins the overall atmosphere. Sure I don't mind it being used to hide but its very annoying when shooting someone results in them getting into their box and instantly getting a head shot on you right after they get out.
It just doesn't seem like that gameplay style is true to the intention of the developers. I would like the game to be more realistic in terms of movement. The mgo trailers were a sham.
I think a lot of people put a dot in the middle of their screen to aim and shoot. How else would anyone be able to get an accurate aim after switching out of the box.

Box dancing in mgo annoys me as much as bunny hopping in cs.

I wish they implemented a loose crosshair system like in graw 2 or have it so its not always in the middle of the screen. Would be nice to see people actually aim after lifting their gun up.

I wonder why the first person view is so bad in this game. Is it the hit detection, muzzle flash, or the where the sights are aligned?
Aiming down the sights in battlefield and cod4 feels natural yet in this game its just seems broken.

Q-bert

Banned
Anybody know if bomb mission is respawn or not?

I just hopped on MGO and bought MEME, after a month or two of SOCOM, needless to say I'm not back in the hang of things yet.

I now understand gripes from the SOCOM/GRAW crowd regarding the camera controls.

GeneralIroh said:
Does anyone hate the cardboard box in this game?

It's there for a reason. You're supposed to use the tools you have to survive and be the best. It can be annoying sometimes, but there's nothing wrong with it if no one is cheating.

MNC

I like the cardboard box. I actually used it once or twice and people fell for it :lol
They also fell for me faking death. :D I do like this game alot. Though I always wondered what the fuss was with the lag - I thought I didn't have any, until I realized my kills got registered half a second after I stopped shooting :lol I never noticed people warping, but this proofs it's quite a laggy game from time to time :(

DunpealD

MNC said:
I like the cardboard box. I actually used it once or twice and people fell for it :lol

GeneralIroh doesn't mean this use of cardboard box. There's nothing wrong to use it like that. The problem is, people use it to dodge bullets by switching over to cardboard box and switch back to shoot you down with a headshot.

I also agree with GeneralIroh, that "technique" is extremely annoying. But it's probably something you'll have to cope with, since it do seem that the Box is intentioned to be used to dodge bullets. It becomes apparent when you take a look at the US GAF Vs. Kojipro+handicap.

I actually saw two servers that showed you how to glitch without using the lag cheat. I blocked all those fuckers.

I wish Konami had seen that and banned their asses.

Imm0rt4l

Glitching is an issue, but it's something I only ever encounter when playing survival. I don't come across cheaters in normal rooms. Now the original MGO, that shit was full of glitchers, the ladder and hanging glitch was the bane of MGO. Are there many glitches in MGO as it is now? the one I've seen is the grab a guy-pull a cord crap to shoot ppl while invisible.

Top Bottom