• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
MiamiWesker said:
You better save me a spot in the neogaf clan. ;)
Of course, im actually griefing people with the tranq sniper as i post here :lol

Edit: Tranq sniping on MM is so funny, at one point i had two enemy snipers asleep on the sniper roof and a friendly went up but didn't notice either of them :lol

mileS

I'm all fuckin over this ish as soon as I finish the single player a couple times. The beta had a really great GAF turnout and i'm sure once people start finishing the game this is going to be a big hit on these boards.

Looking forward to it :D

*salutes NeoGAF*

How much does MGO differ from, say, the multiplayer-mode from Splinter Cell? How good and addictive is it?

Silly questions, I know, but I still have to wait until tomorrow to test out myself. I'm looking forward to joining the NeoGaf -clan as well in due time, though. :)

Nozdeuce

Lé Blade Runner said:
How much does MGO differ from, say, the multiplayer-mode from Splinter Cell? How good and addictive is it?

Silly questions, I know, but I still have to wait until tomorrow to test out myself. I'm looking forward to joining the NeoGaf -clan as well in due time, though. :)
Uhh well Splinter Cell mp was pretty different from Splinter Cell sp. MGO is more along the lines of all the techniques and abilities Snake has rolled into a 3rd person mp shooter. It's a lot of fun, and there's a lot of variety for everyone's play style. During the beta Linkzg for example would go around stun knifing and using melee (CQC) attacks. The sniper rifles and other weapons are great too though. It's really well rounded. I'm currently up to 16 hours played.

Nozdeuce said:
Uhh well Splinter Cell mp was pretty different from Splinter Cell sp. MGO is more along the lines of all the techniques and abilities Snake has rolled into a 3rd person mp shooter. It's a lot of fun, and there's a lot of variety for everyone's play style. During the beta Linkzg for example would go around stun knifing and using melee (CQC) attacks. The sniper rifles and other weapons are great too though. It's really well rounded. I'm currently up to 16 hours played.

Nice to hear. :) What play-modes are available, and what is the max limit of players per server?

Also, can you see yourself playing MGO pretty much indefinetely, or is there a danger of the multiplayer growing stale after a while?

Nozdeuce

Lé Blade Runner said:
Nice to hear. :) What play-modes are available, and what is the max limit of players per server?

Also, can you see yourself playing MGO pretty much indefinetely, or is there a danger of the multiplayer growing stale after a while?
uhh, theres regular deathmatch, team deathmatch, 1flag CTF, 2 flag CTF, a special Snake Sneaking mode where someone gets to play as Snake and use all his abilities while the 2 teams duke it out and try to kill him.

Player cap is 12, and I definitely think MGO will have some pretty solid longevity. I need 20 hours played to create the clan, so for the past little bit I've been screwing around with the Tranq sniper rifle. It shoots darts and if you put enough into a person they'll fall down asleep and have to rotate left stick to wake back up, a headshot instantly puts them to sleep. It's been a nice bit of a break from my usual assault rifles. I'm also working on leveling my CQC (I'm horrible at it) and my knifing.

Indeed said:
Meaning we will need an european NeoGAF unit too?
Is GoncaloCCastro or anyone else trying to create a EuroGAF clan? Yesterday there were only a single clan registered in the PAL region. I guess it will take some time until someone reach the 20 hour mark.

Indeed

archnemesis said:
Is GoncaloCCastro or anyone else trying to create a EuroGAF clan? Yesterday there were only a single clan registered in the PAL region. I guess it will take some time until someone reach the 20 hour mark.

Well, im at 6 hours played so i wont be the one to register it =/

Regarding the region lock. According to IGN and google MGO is region locked.
But what does that mean?

Does the system check for my ip or for the copy of my game?
Meaning by importing an us copy, i would be able to play on us servers?

Nozdeuce

Blargh, time for sleep, still about 2 more hours to go. So clan will be made sometime this afternoon :D

Yasser

no matter what Konami ID i choose i get this error: Your KONAMI ID must be 8-32 characters in length using lower case letters, numbers, hyphens (-), underscores (_), and periods (.).

help!!

test_account

XP-39C²
Nozdeuce said:
Okay well it's still a ghetto compared to the MGS4 thread, but its home. This will be our new place for MGO discussion, moving away from the mostly hijacked but sent to die MGO beta thread that's served us for so long.

Captain N has created this great meetup thread go and sign up now!
Great thread, thanks for the info, especially the MGO titles and the Gametrailer's CQC guide! :) I was looking through my MGS 4 manual some hours ago to see if i could find some info on the MGO titles that you can achieve in the game, but i didnt find anything about that.

Wollan

Question: Once you register your one free character on a PS3 system, is it tied down to that system specifically or can I play that character via another PS3 system (with my PSN account active) ?

I just finished MGS4 last night. I can't even begin to think of how to describe how amazing the game was. Now that I'm calm from the whole experience today it is time for me to start hitting up MGO pretty hard. What servers are the GAF NA players currently playing on?

traveler

Not Wario
As soon as I finish the sp, I'll be joining in the mp as well. Do you guys mandate that everyone have a mike? I haven't had a chance to get a Blu-ray headset yet and would like to join up with you guys.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously, I'm so fucking good at this game >:)!

Cragen

I'd love to have a spot in the euro clan if one gets made.

Missed out on the clan in the beta, but then again I just loved my little Mario sprit icon to much to switch :p

But a NeoGAF server needs to be started a.s.a.p like the one that was in the beta :)

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Back in the BETA I was in the GAF Euro clan formed by GoncaloCastro. Now that I finished the SP I hope to get a spot in the new clan as well.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
im still bust with the main story, guess ill be too late for euro clan, doesnt help that im not that good either :p

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Ok, I don't know how stable my connection is but I've just opened a game with the usual name and password on the Otacon server.

traveler said:
As soon as I finish the sp, I'll be joining in the mp as well. Do you guys mandate that everyone have a mike? I haven't had a chance to get a Blu-ray headset yet and would like to join up with you guys.

Don't worry about having a mic online. In the past 4 games I played, the highest amount of people with mics were 3 out of 12. None of them were talking either. I don't know how the neogaf servers will be, but I hope more people have mics, but even if you don't there are prerecorded messages and even keyboard text support if you need to communicate.

Requirements for making a clan are 20 hours of play and level 3. I have maybe 1+ hours so far, so hopefully others have more time.

I am also playing this way different than I did in the beta. I am using an assault rifle instead of CQC/knifing now. Knifing also seems to be harder. If you duck to stab someone on the ground, it no longer hits them. You need to go into first person and look down to do it.

Shearie

One of the guys on the rival team did the most badass thing last night. We were playing capture mode and no one was getting anywhere for most of the time until I finally captured that little green frog doll. I brought it back to my zone, crouched, took out two rivals, and then two of my teammates showed up. I was pretty damn sure we were going to win this when all of a sudden with 2 seconds left until the capture, some dude on the rival team ploughed down all of us in a rusty barrel and took off with the little green froggy. That's some high level shit right there.

Shearie said:
One of the guys on the rival team did the most badass thing last night. We were playing capture mode and no one was getting anywhere for most of the time until I finally captured that little green frog doll. I brought it back to my zone, crouched, took out two rivals, and then two of my teammates showed up. I was pretty damn sure we were going to win this when all of a sudden with 2 seconds left until the capture, some dude on the rival team ploughed down all of us in a rusty barrel and took off with the little green froggy. That's some high level shit right there.
Ha ha! Nice, first time I've laughed all day.

Shouta

Aha, I just got kicked from a server because of my use of the Surveyor skill and the Shotgun. Man, that's the only way the gun is highly effective for online play. =x

I'll be ready and waiting for when the clans go up. :) Looking forward to playing with you guys again, I'm just about to finish single-player.

*looks at support page*

Wow you can have your own blog and everything? AWSOME!!

:D

Anywayz: Been playing MGO for about 2 hours and its really fun.

The Sneak mode is my favorite mode so far.

Cragen

Linkzg said:
Don't worry about having a mic online. In the past 4 games I played, the highest amount of people with mics were 3 out of 12. None of them were talking either. I don't know how the neogaf servers will be, but I hope more people have mics, but even if you don't there are prerecorded messages and even keyboard text support if you need to communicate.

Requirements for making a clan are 20 hours of play and level 3. I have maybe 1+ hours so far, so hopefully others have more time.

I am also playing this way different than I did in the beta. I am using an assault rifle instead of CQC/knifing now. Knifing also seems to be harder. If you duck to stab someone on the ground, it no longer hits them. You need to go into first person and look down to do it.

I have killed several people using the knife when they were lying stunned on the ground. I just crouched down and sliced and diced them using third person view.

Cragen said:
I have killed several people using the knife when they were lying stunned on the ground. I just crouched down and sliced and diced them using third person view.

Do you have lock-on on in the menu?

Linkzg said:

They changed it to be like the old MGO. You have to hold the button down and then you will do the charged thrusting stab that 1-hit kills. They also made the re-charge time on the knife take at least 2x time longer than the beta. I was knife whore in the beta so it's nice that they balanced the weapon out a lot. I still used the knife and sniper when I played today though, just had to get used to the changes. It is also very less forgiving with your aim when trying to stun someone with the knife now unless I was just lagging.

Shouta

Man, second time I got kicked today for my shotgunning. Apparently, bullshit headshots are ok with people but getting inclose kills with the shotgun is a reason to kick someone.

Shouta said:
Man, second time I got kicked today for my shotgunning. Apparently, bullshit headshots are ok with people but getting inclose kills with the shotgun is a reason to kick someone.

people are seriously booting players for that? wtf?

Cragen

Linkzg said:
Do you have lock-on on in the menu?

Nope, the server I played on Lock on was disabled.

But I did turn the camera so I saw the enemy from 90ish degree angel, maybe that is why I was hitting them, not sure.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Quick question: So MGO is the full game right? It's not a "Starter pack" or what not? I finished MGS4 today but my home internet is down so I haven't had the chance to log on.

Kazenone

Ermac said:
Quick question: So MGO is the full game right? It's not a "Starter pack" or what not? I finished MGS4 today but my home internet is down so I haven't had the chance to log on.

Yeah, the Starter Pack moniker was just a really bad marketing attempt. MGO that's included with MGS4 is the FULL game. They will be added extra DLC in the coming months too.

Question: How do you manually add friends?

Top Bottom