• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Jetstream DLC |OT| Show Me A Good Time, Platinum

Money well spent. Sam's moveset is great. I love letting off fully charged attacks and his dodge is so fast. Bouncing off the walls looks great, and his Zandatsu is slick as hell. I'd love to be able to play through Raiden's campaign as Sam.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hell yeah! Helped a lot in that one elevator lobby fight with the Mastiff and the two elite mooks.

Haha, I'm stopped cold right there on Hard. Can't seem to dish out damage to quickly end the lives of these fuckers. Even taunting them (which turns you into Ripper mode, basically) I eat attacks because they're more aggressive than normal.

zainetor

Banned
I finally beat that salty guttersnipe, but I had to revert back to my old strategy of endless spamming launcher and hoping for the best. Jesus.

The main DLC was tons of fun, but I don't think I ever want to fight that boss again. JP, can you confirm that this boss is not the final boss of Bladewolf's campaign? I want to buy it, but this level of frustration isn't good for my health.

HE IS. THERE. MYSTERY SOLVED. NO ONE ELSE HAS TO SUFFER NOW.

I doubt that bladewolf can take on armstrong.

Haha, I'm stopped cold right there on Hard. Can't seem to dish out damage to quickly end the lives of these fuckers. Even taunting them (which turns you into Ripper mode, basically) I eat attacks because they're more aggressive than normal.

Ah, I'm a long way from Hard mode, so best of luck to you, man. I had trouble enough with the first boss. It was a humbling experience. @_@

Also, I love how the final boss battle starts off with
two helicopters crashing into you XD. I was like, "The fuck!?" Platinum and their opening attacks, man.

TheSeks

It seems the key to Sam is to use his charge attack. But I can't seem to make good use of that and in-air charging it seems pointless (outside of hitting the flying enemies) since it'll overshoot ground targets and not attempting to "divekick" into them. You can however use that charge to good effect if you wait a moment to dodge some attacks before doing the ground-slam by releasing Y before it fully charges. Kinda like charging up the Pincer Blades in-air Y spin move.

Question: Is there really no way to skip the credits in this game? It was annoying enough in the main game that you weren't allowed to skip them after seeing them once, but having to sit through them after very playthrough of the DLC is going to be very, very annoying. Come on now Platinum, you know better than that.

Edit: Ah, the DLC credits are shorter than the main game ones, at least.

It seems the key to Sam is to use his charge attack. But I can't seem to make good use of that and in-air charging it seems pointless (outside of hitting the flying enemies) since it'll overshoot ground targets and not attempting to "divekick" into them. You can however use that charge to good effect if you wait a moment to dodge some attacks before doing the ground-slam by releasing Y before it fully charges. Kinda like charging up the Pincer Blades in-air Y spin move.

I really got that impression when fighting the final boss. The fight took so long since I was using light attacks to chip away at his health, but once I got around to using charge attacks, I started lopping off huge chunks of his life bar (well ok, not huge huge chunks, but enough to speed the fight up a bit). Really made a big difference, though I suspect it'll be less effective on higher difficulties.

I'll have to do more experimenting as to how to apply his other charge moves effectively.

Naite

Played about an hour or so on hard. I never paid much attention to vodomjerka's flamethrower in the main game but man they piss me off in here. During the 3rd or 4th VR mission, I cut the leg off of one of them and stunned the other. Just when I pressed the button prompt to finish it off, the one on the ground burned me, wasting the stun and making me use up my last nanopaste.

I'm really liking Sam more than Raiden. Loving those charge attacks and air maneuverability.

TheSeks

Eh, the way past the first boss/
Bladewolf
was using the forward-forward-Y attack to launch them into the air. Problem is dodging their attacks to do that since it seems to not track and given that bosses evasion it's impossible to land that consistently.

As for the charges, I don't think there's a threshold to reaching to where you can do it. But I've noticed you can do it after the X, XX, XXX, XXXX attack and if you hit you stun them into a Zendatsu-possible blade-mode time similar to Raiden's.

But getting that charge and getting it to hit is the problem it seems. Someone with more time to dissect Sam should be able to unlock it to it's full potential.

JPKellams

Question: Is there really no way to skip the credits in this game? It was annoying enough in the main game that you weren't allowed to skip them after seeing them once, but having to sit through them after very playthrough of the DLC is going to be very, very annoying. Come on now Platinum, you know better than that.

Edit: Ah, the DLC credits are shorter than the main game ones, at least.

You just beat the game... God bless you if you need to start a new game absolutely immediately.

If it bugs you that much, go grab a sammy and a drink to celebrate beating the game again. The credits will be over when you come back.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don't get why that's such a common complaint

You can't skip the credits in any of your games. I think that's something alot of modern games are guilty of.

Have my DLC downloading should be done by time I get off class tomorrow afternoon(lol PSN)

Gbraga

You just beat the game... God bless you if you need to start a new game absolutely immediately.

If it bugs you that much, go grab a sammy and a drink to celebrate beating the game again. The credits will be over when you come back.

Why not give the option? If you recognize people still won't watch it even if you can't skip it, why not just let people skip it? Just curious...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Where were all you people during Vanquish's credits?

At least Rising doesn't make you shoot asteroids every time you beat the game

JPKellams

Why not give the option? If you recognize people still won't watch it even if you can't skip it, why not just let people skip it? Just curious...

Seriously, it isn't interrupting your game. The game is done. If unskippable credits are your biggest complaint about the game...

Also "Why not have an option?" is a red herring. Why not have an option to do anything/everything/nothing?

Seriously, it isn't interrupting your game. The game is done. If unskippable credits are your biggest complaint about the game...

Also "Why not have an option?" is a red herring. Why not have an option to do anything/everything/nothing?

Speaking personally I like to speed run the last chapter sometimes just to fight the last boss again since there's no boss rush, and skipping the cutscenes it can feel like the credits take more time than the run. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that the credits be skippable after seeing them once already. And I did sit there and look at every name that first time because I enjoyed it so much.

I'm not saying it's a huge deal, but when i'm playing through the DLC multiple times to practice up for a revengeance S-rank run, it is a little annoying to have to wait until they're over each time.

I don't really agree that it's a red herring. Why be able to fast forward those walking codec scenes, by that logic? I'm loving the game and the DLC as a whole, and I'm only complaining because you guys seem to have pretty high standards for this kind of thing, so it ends up sticking out a little bit more than it would in another game.

Gbraga

If I want to start another playthrough right away, yes it is.

And if you're going to stretch things like that, why not infinitely loop the credits? The game is over, right?

Speaking personally I like to speed run the last chapter sometimes just to fight the last boss again since there's no boss rush, and skipping the cutscenes it can feel like the credits take more time than the run. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that the credits be skippable after seeing them once already. And I did sit there and look at every name that first time because I enjoyed it so much.

I'd still like to be able to skip it right away, but I'm ok with having to watch it only the first time, I'd watch it anyway...

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I really loved MG: Rising, but I'm really not sure I want to drop $10 on this. I heard there's no new enemy, no new level, no new boss, no new music... Considering I've yet to beat the main game on all difficulties, am I missing a lot if I just watch the cutscenes on Youtube?

Honestly, non-playable/partly playable (forced slow walk, etc...) sections of every game should be skippable. Don't take it personally though, I bitch about this with most games.

While we're on this subject, I'd like to say that skippable codecs are much appreciated. I'm sure that could have easily been overlooked.

Gbraga

Honestly, non-playable/partly playable (forced slow walk, etc...) sections of every game should be skippable. Don't take it personally though, I bitch about this with most games.

btw, skippable codecs are much appreciated. I'm sure that could have easily been overlooked.

Yes, skippable codecs are the shit, I was so glad they let us!

And the "cinematic parts" do suck, I hate them everywhere as well.

TheSeks

No it isn't, it's a valid question: Why wouldn't you allow it? I mean the credits are basically another cut-scene and since you can skip those in-game...

The reason you can't is because MGS2-4 don't allow you to skip the credits either, I feel.

Mechazawa

Someone tell me this bad boy is longer than an hour on Hard. I ain't payin' 10 bucks for an hour of gameplay.

And by I ain't payin' 10 bucks for an hour, I mean I'll try not to pay 10 bucks for an hour, but will still probably pay 10 bucks for an hour.

TheSeks

It's longer depending on your skills and if you do the VR. I'm playing Hard and it took me at least 2 hours to get to at least the 3/4th part of the level. Mostly because I'm struggling at getting to grips with Sam and doing damage with him quick enough.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you replayed the main game why wouldn't you expect to replay the DLC?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Still not up on EU/AU PSN. WHY?!

Someone tell me this bad boy is longer than an hour on Hard. I ain't payin' 10 bucks for an hour of gameplay.

And by I ain't payin' 10 bucks for an hour, I mean I'll try not to pay 10 bucks for an hour, but will still probably pay 10 bucks for an hour.

Sam plays very very different than Raiden...VR missions are twisted. Enemies encounter require a different way of thinking. This DLC is what a DLC should be

Mechazawa

If you replayed the main game why wouldn't you expect to replay the DLC?

I don't know about you homeboy, but Rising didn't take me 6 hours to beat on a first run.

It looks like someone said a page back that Hard took them 3 hours though, so that plus Seks' testimony has me a little eased.

For a game that has chapter select (and really short chapters at that), it makes absolutely no sense to not be able to skip the credits after the first time. Why do I have to sit through the Ch.7 credits each time I select it and beat it? By that logic, the credits should play after finishing Ch.4 or whatever using chapter select.

If you had some sort of interactivity like Vanquish, or especially Bayonetta than it would be fine. But you don't.

I mean even Kojima recognized that his credits go on for too long and allowed you to skip them in Peace Walker in subsequent playthroughs. Since somebody may want to keep replaying the final level (PW has stage select).

I love you JP, but the "go grab a drink" excuse is horseshit of the highest order.

TP

Finished it at 1:47 (game timer) on Hard with no continues but 2 vr mission restarts

Sam plays differently
bosses are good
double jump to recover when knocked away and wall jump with follow up are great
pretty much what everyone else is saying

If you plan on replaying it a few times i'd say it's worth the money

Disappointing that Sam can't be used in the main campaign but it wasn't advertised so I wasn't expecting it. Maybe in MGR: Special Edition, or PC
please Konami

I got 0 titles in my playthrough
new ones must be harder to get
Edit: yeah there are only 3, rest are data storage

Saur continues to remind me why I'll never be him. =( Nifty aerial maneuver here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCY9Ydv5Fg

My opinion is that if you're the kind of person who loves digging deep into action games and breaking down the system mechanics, you're going to get a lot out of the Sam DLC. His playing style has a very different tact compared to Raiden's, and that automatically freshens every enemy encounter. Two of the returning bosses have faster attacks and new AI patterns, particularly the final boss. They may not be new bosses, but their revamped tactics means strategies that worked in the main game will need to be altered playing as Sam.

This DLC isn't meant to be cleared just once. The replayability mainly lies with mastering Sam's moves, and if that sounds right up your alley, you might like what the DLC has to offer.

Duffyside

Banned
Can anyone link me to a gameplay vid that would show what makes this special? I'm not seeing why this would be worth $10...

Hypron

So I just finished my first playthrough on hard. It's quite tricky to play Sam, his damage output seems lower than raiden's, and he has less tools to deal with enemies. Right now I don't even see how it's possible to no-damage some of the encounters, although that might change once I get better.

The final boss is quite simple actually, you get a shitload of nanopastes throughout the fight. I was playing horribly and still managed to finish the fight without dying.

Play it again on Revengeance, then look my in the eye and tell me that it's easy.

I herd u liek triple unblockable tackles after every attack

Hypron

Play it again on Revengeance, then look my in the eye and tell me that it's easy.

I herd u liek triple unblockable tackles after every attack

Oh I was just saying he was easy to beat on hard. I'm sure revengeance will be a lot harder, especially since parries are not OP anymore :( ... I'll get onto that later this week haha.

Regarding VR Mission # 2

That was tricky as fuck. Get one hit and the momentum will push you outside. Accidentally dash the wrong way will push you outside. You can hit enemies out of bounds but it was taking me a lot hits before I dealt enough damage.

I feel like I'm missing something with Sam's moveset. Against
bladewolf
on Very Hard I beat him by taunting, charging the third hit of the chain (the big spin), and letting go when he gets near or dodging out of the way if he does a quick pounce or a kunai. It does good damage and if
Bladewolf
isn't attacking it will knock him down. Sam actually has quite a few moves that will stagger him, but he's much more aggressive than he is against Raiden. His attacks are uninterruptable and he's very rarely in neutral, and I haven't figured out a way to stunlock him, but it seems feasible with blade mode cancels.

I'm still sort of baffled by him, but I'll put some more time in tomorrow.

JoeFenix

Just no damaged the final boss on hard, it was hellish, that shit is straight up relentless.

Good luck to anyone attempting it, I have a couple of tips if anyone is interested.

Taunting him makes you do double damage, he gets even more aggressive but on the second checkpoint I think taunting works to your advantage considering he attacks non-stop either way. When he does the AOE move just backflip outside the circle and charge triangle. Other than that you're on your own!

Top Bottom