• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Jetstream DLC |OT| Show Me A Good Time, Platinum

Roto13

It's all about combos that leas to the different Quick-Draws. Oh, and the Taunt, I guess.

Yes, the different charged quick draw moves are great. I'd play a whole Sam game.

It's actually a little sad that Sam can't be used in the other chapters. I'd love to use him in the whole game, even without the cutscenes and codec conversations and stuff. Or any story at all.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the different charged quick draw moves are great. I'd play a whole Sam game.

Took me a while to work out which worked where. My favourite little detail is the fact he blows smoke from the sheath afterward. Bad. Ass.

It's actually a little sad that Sam can't be used in the other chapters. I'd love to use him in the whole game, even without the cutscenes and codec conversations and stuff. Or any story at all.

Absolutely. Is it wrong that I want a horde mode dlc where you can choose either him, Raiden or Bladewolf?

This is pretty balls hard on Revengeance even without going for S ranks. In case PlatinumGamesJP didn't see this from the (now community) OT:

If there's any feedback I'd like to relay to the dev team, it's that Revengeance was made too easy by wigs, 10x parry damage, full upgrades, health paste refill glitch, etc. Also, being able to copy save files makes death auto-saving meaningless. We could have used a mode above Revengeance that fixed those issues and made even the best players cry into their cheerio-s.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The one thing I like is the double jump and air dash.

Much preferable to Raiden having to Ninja Run over everything. Platforming feels alot more controlled

It's all about combos that leas to the different Quick-Draws. Oh, and the Taunt, I guess.

What are the good ones? They all seem like crap and the tracking is awful

Really? The only reason this kind of moveset size is acceptable is because it's DLC.

Sam roundhouses everything the game

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tracking isn't that bad for the charge move (quick-draw? Simple Y is called "Quick-Draw" so bad naming of moves on Platinums part there then), esp. if you lock-on quickly. It's the in-air charged move and the forward-forward-Y move that is bad at tracking (in-air completely misses, 66Y misses completely if they move from where Sam is running towards).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
that's the move I mean

and quick draw on the ground sometimes dashes through the enemy. I've been trying to do it after executions for the trophy instead of slicing them up and Sam just decides...to dash through the enemy instead of cutting them

Not consistently though. Just some of the time. Which is more frustrating than if it just didn't work 100% of the time.

VR04 is the VR18 of this game, it seems like. Sort of at a loss of how to deal with these mastiffs on PCP without using items, since you don't have the revengeance parry like you do in VR18. In VR03 I could run around til the Raptor shot all the mastiffs with friendly fire, but that's not an option here either.
The one thing I like is the double jump and air dash.

Much preferable to Raiden having to Ninja Run over everything. Platforming feels alot more controlled

What are the good ones? They all seem like crap and the tracking is awful

Really? The only reason this kind of moveset size is acceptable is because it's DLC.

Sam roundhouses everything the game

charging LLH is the best one, since it hits in a circle and will stagger most things if you taunted them, and remember to BMC out of the recovery since it can't be dodged out of. LH is pretty good too since it will put you in the air and give you a chance to escape getting mobbed, or drop back down with H. You don't need to hit anything with the light attacks at the beginning of the combo, sometimes I just start encounters whiffing two light attacks so I can charge the third swing. Ninja run H (uncharged) is also really useful, since it knocks down and can be dodge-canceled very easily. In general you need to try to incapacitate as many enemies as you can to give yourself time to charge and taunt.

Also, you can charge attacks during Blade mode, but I haven't found any cool uses for it.

RangerBAD

It took me up to
Armstrong
to figure how that taunts increase your damage. I started on Revengeance, got owned and went down to Hard for the trophy. I managed to get to the second half of that fight, but dodging all the time is pissing me off.

TheSeks

You're a better man than me, Charlie Brown. Because I couldn't even get past the first phase of that fight no-damaged. They attack too often and you have to dodge dodge dodge dodge to where taunting (that leaves yourself wide open at times) wasn't worth the double-damage.

RangerBAD

You're a better man than me, Charlie Brown. Because I couldn't even get past the first phase of that fight no-damaged. They attack too often and you have to dodge dodge dodge dodge to where taunting (that leaves yourself wide open at times) wasn't worth the double-damage.

Are you responding to Retro or me?

UFRA

Wow. Just wow at VR mission 4.

I'm assuming that the
GRAD
is the last enemy you face in that mission? I made it all the way to it on my first try and holy shit my heart was racing and I was sweating. The bastard got me even though I had full health to start. I started to panic and made mistakes.

A nice technique I used was double jumping and then holding the powerful attack button to charge up that fast aerial attack Sam does. It helped a lot to avoid damage from enemies while still chipping away at their health.

TheSeks

Are you responding to Retro or me?

You. If you've gotten to no-damage the first phase you're better at it than me. On hard I was struggling to even get to the second phase with no damage. I couldn't do it.

As for the DLC itself:
ibgQ7c8t7xUeaS.gif

RangerBAD

You. If you've gotten to no-damage the first phase you're better at it than me. On hard I was struggling to even get to the second phase with no damage. I couldn't do it.

This is what I did: I ran around the helicopter fire pillars and come running at him with H(eavy)H. He'll hit me twice and I parry those two hits. After I dodge I do L(ight)L charge H as he lets off that attack that leaves cracks on the ground. Jump to a safe spot, Taunt, charge H immediately and hit him which should throw him. Charge again and hit him. He should attack and then start to charge for a pillar attack. Avoid that and you should need to taunt again. He'll usually stand there and turn around slowly. You can usually quick draw him again. I think he should be close to 50%. Most of those actions can be repeated as needed.

I really demand a dodge button now. Shorten the i-frames and give me a dodge button. My thumb is tired trying to keep up. At least in the second phase of Armstrong fight, with Raiden, gives you some breaks in the dodges.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm missing something about the combat

I beat Armstong on my first go, but I felt like I was missing something. My strategy was to just taunt him and then dodge frantically while hitting him with non charged triangle moves.

....is that what I'm supposed to do? The bosses in the DLC are so aggressive that you can't get a satisfying offense going on them. Feels weird to give Sam all these cool charge moves and then design encounters where he can't use them.

One of the cool things about Sam's charge moves is that they're all parry cancellable.(IIRC some of Raiden's strings didn't have those properties.) Besides VR mission 4 being a giant troll I had fun with it because it was pretty satisfying just charging my moves and being able to react to enemy attacks with perfect parries during them. Too bad Sam's do like no damage, even on Normal.

and Rage mode takes that option away from you anyways since all enemy attacks stagger you and deal damage even when parried.

I'm going to get the trophies I guess but I don't blame people for not wanting to pony up for the price of this. Like the Rising main game I don't think it's all that great and it has alot of design decisions that just don't make any sense to me.

I really like Sam's double jump(now mandatory in my action game bible) and air dash, I think blade mode quick draw is fun to set up and I like that all his charge moves are parry cancellable, but that's about all I really like about this DLC pack.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Which one is that again? Wave after wave of crap and a Grad at the end?

It's the one where there's a huge pause between waves so you think you're done then nope more enemies.

I kinda liked it though. On Normal at least. Really let me play around with Sam's moveset.

The most annoying VR mission by far was the one where you could fall off the edge

Just finished...

Liked the move set, Same feel a little less powerful than Raiden and with short combos, but hell, loved the double jump + dash they gave him.

My only complaint is that storywise, it doesn't add anything but HEAVY SPOILERS AHEAD
how Sam lost his arm and that he was some kind of "hero" before joining desperado

Someon could please confirm if there's a chance that
if there's some kind of secret cutscene where they show Sam it's somehow alive? Hell Platinum, bring this guy back for the party in Revengeance 2!!

RangerBAD

Just finished...

Liked the move set, Same feel a little less powerful than Raiden and with short combos, but hell, loved the double jump + dash they gave him.

My only complaint is that storywise, it doesn't add anything but HEAVY SPOILERS AHEAD
how Sam lost his arm and that he was some kind of "hero" before joining desperado

Someon could please confirm if there's a chance that
if there's some kind of secret cutscene where they show Sam it's somehow alive? Hell Platinum, bring this guy back for the party in Revengeance 2!!

I could see
Sam coming back full cyborg in a sequel and probably Armstrong terminator style. TIME PARADOX!

You know, I want an Armstrong DLC more than I want a bladewolf one. It would be so amazing to just teleport kick and flame charge against everything, and then inexplicably produce lava from a helipad.

It's a bit hard getting used to Sam's QTE prompt having an actual hitbox. It's his version of a revengeance parry and hits in a huge area in front of him.

RangerBAD

You know, I want an Armstrong DLC more than I want a bladewolf one. It would be so amazing to just teleport kick and flame charge against everything, and then inexplicably produce lava from a helipad.

It's a bit hard getting used to Sam's QTE prompt having an actual hitbox. It's his version of a revengeance parry and hits in a huge area in front of him.

Armstrong would never lower himself to fighting cannon fodder.

TP

I've tried Sam's VR 4 twice and both times I only got 30 kills for 900 points
the first time a bunch of dwarf geckos jumped on to me and the second time only 2 maybe 3 but both times I only got 30 kills

anybody know how to get the full 1000 points?

Edit: Can't let those dwarf geckos jump on you and explode, air y gets the job done pretty well
got the S rank with 33 kills

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Which one? That room has several, if I remember well. And a data storage thingy, too.

I found it.
There are 2 grey boxes after the Metal Gear fight. The last box can be obtained by jumping on the ledge above the exit and then on to the two upper platforms.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with most of his criticisms in that review

I wouldn't call it a "shameless cash grab" but I'm pretty disappointed with the package myself for pretty much the same reasons

Is there a dodge move and if so how do I do it?

Same as Raiden?

Light Attack + Jump

RangerBAD

Outside of the reused environment, even though there's a different approach to the areas, I think they did a good job. Sam plays differently that I actually have to practice and adjust to really use him effectively. Despite what those impressions said, I really think you have to approach boss fights a bit differently and the final boss is definitely harder than his Raiden incarnations.

Sure I wish it had been 6.99, but I really don't think it's a cash grab. It was planned DLC and I can see they put effort into it. It's not like they can fix the camera at this point, so I don't really expect those kinds of updates.

TheSeks

Circle when you're within range.

Sam can't do it, though.

Yeah, that's annoying as shit. I can sneak up on them but I have to basically taunt them on Hard to kill them quickly. WHY? :/

I agree with most of his criticisms in that review

I wouldn't call it a "shameless cash grab" but I'm pretty disappointed with the package myself for pretty much the same reasons

Same as Raiden?

Light Attack + Jump

Purchase it from customization. Defensive Offense is what it's called. Oh, I was assuming you were talking about Raiden for some reason (still must think we're in the MGR OT).

Yeah, it's as Retro said.
Thanks guys. It's been a while.

So, will there be a Revengeance 2 with Sam
somehow surviving his battle with Raiden
teaming up with Raiden and Sunny to help her get revenge
ance
on... somebody and it be like a futuristic cyborg Samurai Champloo?

TheSeks

Nope. Sam's dead, baby. Sam's dead. *
get's on Sam's chopper and rides off into the sunset

RangerBAD

So, will there be a Revengeance 2 with Sam
somehow surviving his battle with Raiden
teaming up with Raiden and Sunny to help her get revenge
ance
on... somebody and it be like a futuristic cyborg Samurai Champloo?

But the Patriots are gone.

Yeah, that's annoying as shit. I can sneak up on them but I have to basically taunt them on Hard to kill them quickly. WHY? :/

Because he's a SAMurai not a ninja like Raiden.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Can you keep your upgrades across playthroughs?

I think I did something wrong and reset them

Top Bottom