• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Jetstream DLC |OT| Show Me A Good Time, Platinum

Hypron

I feel like I'm missing something with Sam's moveset. Against
bladewolf
on Very Hard I beat him by taunting, charging the third hit of the chain (the big spin), and letting go when he gets near or dodging out of the way if he does a quick pounce or a kunai. It does good damage and if
Bladewolf
isn't attacking it will knock him down. Sam actually has quite a few moves that will stagger him, but he's much more aggressive than he is against Raiden. His attacks are uninterruptable and he's very rarely in neutral, and I haven't figured out a way to stunlock him, but it seems feasible with blade mode cancels.

I'm still sort of baffled by him, but I'll put some more time in tomorrow.

That seems to be the case with every enemy in the DLC. At points it felt like playing MGR on fast forward, it's quite crazy. Playing Sam is definitely hard mode.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I got a serious Megaman X vibe from this DLC. Sam's differing playstyle (air dash!), his red color scheme as compared to Raiden's blue, exploring the stages for powerups...

Overall, it was quite enjoyable, but I wish

A) The story segments were a little better written and more coherent, although this complaint also applies only a little bit less so to the main game as well. The cutscene after the final boss made nearly no sense to me.

B) It was longer. I loved playing as Sam and I really wish we had more of an opportunity to do so.

C) There was at least one new boss or new area. Or a new music track.

D) It wasn't $10

Other than that, had a blast with it.

JoeFenix

Ok, just finished the DLC on Revengeance in 23 mins. Got the Master of the Wind trophy!

The name of the game when playing as Sam is Taunt and Murder.

Taunting is essential to doing decent damage, it does make enemies ridiculously aggressive though and their attacks do damage even if blocked when in Rage mode.

The Bladewolf fight I did without taunting because parrying was more effective, I think you might be able to parry even when enemies are taunted but if it's possible the frame window is VERY SMALL.

Taunt
Metal Gear Ray
otherwise you'll waste ALOT of time trying to kill him.

Run past everything you can and use your items wisely and you'll have more than enough time to do it under 1 hour. Make sure you enter the final boss fight with 5 nanorepair units, the only reason I got through it quickly is because I spent 3 hours trying to no damage him on hard before going through the DLC on Revengeance.

He's definitely much crazier on Revengeance,
He does 8 reps of the rush punch everytime he starts it instead of 3 at most on Hard, it's ridiculous. Getting good at dodging these is a necessity, no way around it. After all the practice I got on Hard No Damage I could dodge that stuff all day so I took him down quickly. One hit will take off a bar and a half though so you can't fuck up very often.

No Damage
Armstrong
is the hardest thing in this DLC imo, Revengeance is hard for sure but that No Damage trophy is hell.

I love the way Sam plays, this DLC was definitely worth it even if the price feels a little high, casual players might blast through it and feel it's overpriced but serious players will definitely get their money's worth. Awesome cutscene direction yet again and Sam being less OP than Raiden make this feel different enough from the main game, the extra backstory on Sam is also pretty cool. It definitely feels like a prologue to the main game, would have been amazing as an unlockable after beating the game but as far as DLC stuff goes this is top notch.

Great job P*, can't wait for BladeWolf next month!

MGR_DLC2_Sam_05-630x354.jpg

What a badass!

Spwn

I want to pick this DLC up, but I think the 9.95€ price tag in Europe is too much. We had to pay for the VR Missions too - Konami, why do you hate us?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I got a serious Megaman X vibe from this DLC. Sam's differing playstyle (air dash!), his red color scheme as compared to Raiden's blue, exploring the stages for powerups...

Overall, it was quite enjoyable, but I wish

A) The story segments were a little better written and more coherent, although this complaint also applies only a little bit less so to the main game as well. The cutscene after the final boss made nearly no sense to me.

B) It was longer. I loved playing as Sam and I really wish we had more of an opportunity to do so.

C) There was at least one new boss or new area. Or a new music track.

D) It wasn't $10

Other than that, had a blast with it.

Agreed... except about the music. If they made a new track and it was anything like the music in the main game, I'd have to rip my ears clean from my head and stuff them into the speakers... or, y'know, just turn the music off; whichever is easier at the time.

Endo Punk

The character really connected with me the first time I saw him in the original trailer and Im glad Konami/P* thought there was something special enough to make him a playable character. I look forward to trying his moves later today.

demidar

The character really connected with me the first time I saw him in the original trailer and Im glad Konami/P* thought there was something special enough to make him a playable character. I look forward to trying his moves later today.

Sam's got a holster shaped like a rifle that shoots out his sword for blisteringly fast slashes. How fucking awesome is that? How has no one thought of that before?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sam's got a holster shaped like a rifle that shoots out his sword for blisteringly fast slashes. How fucking awesome is that? How has no one thought of that before?

At the end of a full-power quick draw he blows the sheath like it's a smoking gun. That is the very definition of cool.

Roto13

So hey, I have 150 health. What's the maximum? And what's the maximum blade mode meter?

Found a health upgrade in a
VR mission
near the end and now I'm wondering if I missed a bunch more. :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Finished it in little under two hours.

Everyone should start on hard, don't play it on normal or easy.

Dat last cutscene.

Edit: LOL at the cutscene after the credits!

Erigu

So hey, I have 150 health. What's the maximum? And what's the maximum blade mode meter?
Pretty sure it's the same as Raiden (200% life, and as many fuel cells). That's how far I got, anyway, and I don't expect anything beyond that.

Sam can't cancel a parry into a dodge like Raiden can, but I'm 50% sure he can cancel a dodge into a parry, though his dodge is so fast I can't confirm. You can't use his cartwheels like you use Raiden's dodge slash, though, since the window for invulnerability is much shorter, there's no attack component (you can't stagger sword cyborgs or cut GRAD missiles with it like you can with Raiden's), and there's no dodge offset. His parry window is different from Raiden's, I'm almost sure, since I'm eating mastiff dropkicks repeatedly (shoutouts to VR03) because I'm using Raiden's timing for perfect parrying it. I think everything needs to be parried earlier with Sam, but I don't know how to confirm this.

Also, you can cancel move charging with ninja run, though I don't know how useful it is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just no damaged the final boss on hard, it was hellish, that shit is straight up relentless.

Good luck to anyone attempting it, I have a couple of tips if anyone is interested.

Taunting him makes you do double damage, he gets even more aggressive but on the second checkpoint I think taunting works to your advantage considering he attacks non-stop either way. When he does the AOE move just backflip outside the circle and charge triangle. Other than that you're on your own!

Jesus Christ, that's what I thought. The TRUE DEMON'S SOULS REVENGANCE BEGINS HERE.

D: Good fucking luck getting no damage on this asshole with how little damage you do and the aggressive AI.

I don't think I will No Damage this. I found the fights tricky even on Normal *sigh*

And screw 3 Mastiffs in the dark. Who's genius idea was that?! The underground bit in the main game was bearable but that VR Mission...come on. As if Mastiffs weren't annoying as they are, tccchhhhh.

Post-credit scene is so awesome. Like, seriously awesome...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, thankfully you don't need to do the VR missions or gold them. You can simply skip them (though it makes the mission slightly harder with less health and fuel cells). I haven't found a reason to use the FC's outside of blade mode canceling to be honest.

And frankly the no-damage doesn't seem that bad if you could dodge their attacks and get some decent damage on them. As said: Taunting/Ripper Mode-on seems like the smartest move, but dodging their attacks seems impossible. That stupid flaming charge attack is bullshit because you can dodge the first side have the camera track them but can't dodge the second at all.

It took me like 2 hours (or close to 3 with me trying to no-damage until I said "fuck it, this seems impossible to do") to complete it on Hard and I got a final grade of C like my initial Hard Raiden run. So for people worrying about it being too short: Start on Hard or Revengeance and fumble through it like I did because it's pretty damn hard on Hard.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So should I buy it?

It's fairly expensive for what it is. It's about an hour or so long (Arguably. It's dependent on skill level, I guess). Sam is very different from Raiden in a very good way. You can't access the VR missions seperately (but that kind of works). It's pretty hard even on normal.

I guess it depends on how much you like the base game.

ViviOggi

VR Mission 04, what kind of twisted mind does it take to create such a thing?

Also just got my ass handed to me by
Armstrong
, sleepy time now. Exactly like it went in the base game.

Endo Punk

Beat it on hard in 2 hours. Really enjoyed it and Sam indeed plays a lot different despite blade mode and Zan Datsu borrowed from Raiden. I'm sill not quite used to it, especially quick draw but it feels damn good. Also really happy to see Monsoon get more scenes.

Sucks that it ends with a
to be continued
. I really want to know what happens next.
lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like how Sam plays at all so far.

This is disappointing

He has no moves compared to Raiden

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like how Sam plays at all so far.

This is disappointing

He has no moves compared to Raiden

That's a shame. I really enjoyed him once I got the hang of him (even then I was still getting pummeled. Repeatedly. Over and over. Cos I'm crap).

It's all about combos that leas to the different Quick-Draws. Oh, and the Taunt, I guess.

Top Bottom