• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Grief.exe

Lovely! It's been painful holding off on this game until it's patched for >1080p support but at least I'm certain we'll have it eventually.

It would be a lot better if Platinum would handle the issue themselves, though. Have they commented on the issue recently?

They have been compiling a list of issues.

holy shit that last boss fight, only platinum could make the final boss of a game a swearing supercharged US senator.
bosses were pretty great in the game, moonsoon was the worst though especially since getting him out of his unvunerable phase requires grenades.

i'm glad i bought the game though, i hesitated to take it on ps3 but for 15# on pc i couldn't resist.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
holy shit that last boss fight, only platinum could make the final boss of a game a swearing supercharged US senator.
bosses were pretty great in the game, moonsoon was the worst though especially since getting him out of his unvunerable phase requires grenades.

i'm glad i bought the game though, i hesitated to take it on ps3 but for 15# on pc i couldn't resist.

Actually a perfect parry to one/few of his attacks depending on which one will knock him out that mode too.

Levyne

Banned
Do you think I'll get used to it? I'm having a really hard time enjoying this game because of it.

I got used to it I guess because I've played plenty of console games with poor camera and small FoV, I guess it depends on your tolerance.

Re: Monsoon. I thought the parry-counter was the ONLY way to get him out of that phase. Up to that point I had never used a sub weapon except the missles on the helicopters. I should have realized the fight was giving me grenades..

Dario ff

Banned
For those of us that don't mind getting our hands dirty, would you mind providing the locations of those values so that we can change them?
Alright, but I hope this doesn't somehow prevent us from getting a real patch in the future... For the latest version of the game.
  • 0x129D8B0 (Float): 800x600 GUI Scaling Value. Calculate with ((Resolution H) * -0.0097222222222). 1440p would be -14.
  • 0x123135C (Float): 800x600 Resolution Width of the rendering buffer.
  • 0x1230FF8 (Float): 800x600 Resolution Height of the rendering buffer.
These ones seem to affect Windowed Mode, but if not modified, will make fullscreen mode crash as well upon restarting the game after setting it to 800x600. They need to match the two resolution floats shown above, but in integer format for that to not happen.
  • 0x61E2C2 (Int): 800x600 Display Creation Width
  • 0x61E2C7 (Int): 800x600 Display Creation Height
  • 0x6318C0 (Int): 800x600 Steam Overlay Creation Width
  • 0x6318CF (Int): 800x600 Steam Overlay Creation Height

When in-game, switch to 800x600. This can also be very useful for anyone that wanted to run at native on a resolution below 1080p.

If you're not sure how to pass floats to hex, use this and input the 4 bytes in inverted order. Very high values might cause stability problems, such as the shadowmap not being created (VRAM Problems?) and outright crashing.

I do have an actual user-friendly patcher coded for this, but like I said, I want to see what will Platinum do first.

Oddly enough, going 1440p but even with the desktop set to 1080p (And the fullscreen display still being 1080p), the game actually works at 60 FPS now without having to cheat because of HDMI. It seems like the game requests display modes and refresh rates again with some of those values, even if the fullscreen display resolution doesn't actually change from 1080p. Weeeeeeeird.

Do you think I'll get used to it? I'm having a really hard time enjoying this game because of it.
You'll probably get used to it, but even then there'll be times - more likely to happen in harder difficulties - where the game will remind you of how bad the camera is.

If the camera is making it hard for you to enjoy the game as a whole there's not much I can say other than hope someone mods it lol

TGMIII

Sundowner being so easy is actually responsible for Armstrong being so hard, I think. The mechanics to do his fight "right" (minus the annoying chopper stuff) are all the necessary mechanics for the Armstrong fight, like precision blade mode-ing or having an awareness for unblockable attacks, but you can just ignore it completely and just mash at his face and win.

That's pretty much the story for a lot of things I find people getting angry over. There's a lot of subtle teaching going on throughout the game but it's typically never the sole solution which means people end up complaining about things like the armstrong fight when they where shown similar mechanics in the previous fights. There's some blame to be placed on the game itself and the other half put down to player incompetence or just peoples unwillingness to try out things without being spoon fed.

LiK

Camera isn't quite as terrible as the 3D NG games due to the way the levels were designed in MGR. Just baby the right stick and it's fine.

Volcynika

Camera isn't quite as terrible as the 3D NG games due to the way the levels were designed in MGR. Just baby the right stick and it's fine.

Really the annoyance with the camera is only during Ray fights. I haven't had too much trouble with it outside of the obvious situation of being trapped in the corner.

Just finished the game yesterday, god damn that was a lot of fun. All I can say is the videogame world needs more fights like Armstrong.

YOU DON'T FUCK WITH THIS SENATOR.

Thorgal

That's pretty much the story for a lot of things I find people getting angry over. There's a lot of subtle teaching going on throughout the game but it's typically never the sole solution which means people end up complaining about things like the armstrong fight when they where shown similar mechanics in the previous fights. There's some blame to be placed on the game itself and the other half put down to player incompetence or just peoples unwillingness to try out things without being spoon fed.

Personally . if i had to design that fight i would give the player free reign to bring the boss 's health down to 50 after which he will constantly block all damage done to him until you cut all those shields off.

once done he would go to phase 2 of the fight
( the scissors weapon part )

This way , players would learn the precise cutting needed for the armstrong fight , and secondly people would not miss sundowners awesome theme .

PhaZZe

Banned
well i completed VR mission 2 with Sam yay, now i am stuck in VR mission 3, looks like VR 3 is more easy.
game is amazing but still is difficult to me react well

2San

I think it's worse in MGR, because the parry system is tied to it. I still love the Ninja Gaiden games and MGR though.

TGMIII

Personally . if i had to design that fight i would give the player free reign to bring the boss 's health down to 50 after which he will constantly block all damage done to him until you cut all those shields off.

once done he would go to phase 2 of the fight
( the scissors weapon part )

This way , players would learn the precise cutting needed for the armstrong fight , and secondly people would not miss sundowners awesome theme .

That I definitely agree with and like I said before, MGR is far from a perfect game and there's a certain degree of blame to be put on the game for not putting more emphasis on certain mechanics but at the same time players need to apply a bit of common sense sometimes or even just try different approaches.

Can't say I feel much sympathy for people who would rather take the time to stop playing a game and complain about it rather than figure something out on their own.

I just finished Chapter 1 and this is how I'm feeling. It not like sometimes the camera freaks out and has a shitty angle, it's more like most of the time the camera insists you have some terrible angle and fight off-screen enemies.

It's not game-breaking for me, but it's still atrocious.

I didn't have much trouble with the camera at all as long as I was locked onto an enemy. (right bumper on 360 controller). But in the first ray fight where it jumps everything seemed to go all screwy.

The problem with the camera is that it's too zoomed in and angled so when you have too many enemies on screen everything goes to shit. NG has a similar camera but it's less bad because it's centralized most of the time, it doesn't change angles during combat and most of the time you're fighting human-sized enemies instead of shit that fills up the whole screen. NG never gets as bad as fighting stuff like 3 Mastiffs or 2 GRADs at the same time.

I was playing the Monsoon boss fight, saw the giant wheels of death, and remembered that someone mentioned in this thread that you could parry the wheel. So I tried it. OH MAN. It doesn't even give me any real advantage to parry the wheel but it was so great. So thanks guys!

Tenck

Does parrying stop attacks from behind? Fighting Monsoon, and on my last try he kept coming at me from behind. Had to turn off the game before I could test that out.

2San

Jetstream is shameful. Completely recycled areas, recycled bosses, and an incredibly cheap version of already the worst boss in the game.

I would feel cheated if this didn't come with the game.
Yeah, enjoyed the dlc's, but I wouldn't pay 10 dollars for them. Blade wolfs campaign is even shorter and have the same problem with recycling, it does have a new boss though. I enjoyed the boss in the campaign, but he is such bs in the dlc.
Does parrying stop attacks from behind? Fighting Monsoon, and on my last try he kept coming at me from behind. Had to turn off the game before I could test that out.
Yup.

Thorgal

iirc . you block /parry in the direction of where you point the control stick so technically ,yes.

I like the way Sam plays. But aside from the garden, they recycled the worst areas, then just took old bosses and sped up the AI routines. The final boss is easily the closest this game comes to the dreaded "artificial difficulty."

TnK

So a funny, behind the scenes story for the Armstrong fight.

When we did the final sound mix down in LA, we were getting constant updates on picture and sound requests. You'd get an email that said, we added some fire to the scene, and you'd pull up the picture and the entire 5 minute scene would be the towering inferno.

So anyways, basically it was heart attack city, "last hours" level stuff for the whole session. On the second to last day, we are looking at these Armstrong scenes and they keep getting weirder and weirder as they finish them. Then we get an email about the kick. I read it, looked at everyone, said, "I'm going to tell you the most bizarre thing of the week, and it isn't a joke."

"Crowd noise."

Everyone looked at my like I was insane, didn't believe me, and we went back and forth over whether we should call Japan to confirm, like it was an Emergency Action Message from Hunt for Red October. I'm glad we went for it, but that last couple of days (after hardcore crunching in the studio) were just hilariously funny/weird. At least we had a really awesome production assistant bringing us hot cookies, popcorn, and espresso.

Best part of it all was the last day. After working for 36 hours straight,
Blade Wolf on the ridge. Every time he would show up with the "wooooaaahhh woah woah woah" we would all throw our hands up like the Lion King.
Great scene for popcorn. Sound design wrap dinner that night was great, too. After working for over a year together, we go to our favorite craft beer and burgers place, but were so tired we ate in total silence, drank our beer and just said, "Great project. Let's go get some sleep."

That's how I will always remember MGR.
This is really cool to hear. Me and my brother laughed our asses off when Armstrong shot Raiden and the crowd started cheering. Adds to the whole zany situation that was going on. Also, when "wooooaaahhh woah woah woah" comes out the time Bladewolf appears, that always hypes me. Hopefully, we will see more stuff like this in MGRR2 ;)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
How would taunts work on bosses that aren't even designed to be taunted? I think it goes beyond balance.

I think that's the least of the problems if you were to try and play as Sam in the Main story.
There would probably be a lot of errors with custom animations made for raiden, loading them into sam's skeleton would probably not work. Just think of the killing blow for Monsoon Raiden does that multi kick, I doubt Sam has anything like that in his animation data.

Even if you did get it working it would probably be buggy beyond reason.

A model swap might work but actually playing as Sam I don't knowww.

RangerBAD

I think that's the least of the problems if you were to try and play as Sam in the Main story.
There would probably be a lot of errors with custom animations made for raiden, loading them into sam's skeleton would probably not work. Just think of the killing blow for Monsoon Raiden does that multi kick, I doubt Sam has anything like that in his animation data.

Even if you did get it working it would probably be buggy beyond reason.

A model swap might work but actually playing as Sam I don't knowww.

Yeah, there's just too much work there. Might be why Platinum opted not to put a playable Sam in the main story.

McNum

Huh, attack power 5 Murasama blade is... quite something. It's almost too powerful, it's going to be hard to get a decent combo score with this thing if enemies just keel over dead after the first few strikes. On the other hand, a sub-30 seconds GRAD boss fight is just too funny.

Really, with that sword, there are two kinds of enemies. Those out of melee range, and those that are dead.

I should get back to gathering up arms and data storages to unlock the other swords. Are the wooden sword, stun blade, and armor breaker swords any good?

Top Bottom