• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

JPKellams

So the singer for Rules of Nature is down to scream Rules of Nature in random places for laughs. :)

Follow him at @jaconcmiller and let him know where he's gotta follow the laws of the wild.

Neiteio

So the singer for Rules of Nature is down to scream Rules of Nature in random places for laughs. :)

Follow him at @jaconcmiller and let him know where he's gotta follow the laws of the wild.
Obama's State of the Union Address is Jan. 28.

You know what to do...

Alternatively, the Super Bowl.

Zuly

"A Stranger I Remain" is easily my favorite. The soundtrack for this game is on my daily playlist and I listen to it while playing other games.

If I had to make some kind of terrible Ultra Sophie's Choice Turbo Edition, I think I might take I'm My Own Master Now over all the rest. "Time to Leave Them All BEHIIIIIIIIND" just gets my blood pumping so hard.

Guess Who

Banned
Christ. Back when I first played the Sam DLC on PS3,
Blade Wolf
kicked my ass left and right even on normal mode. Just decided to play it on the PC version and beat him in like a minute on very hard and S-ranked it my first try. When did I get good at this game

xn0

If I had to make some kind of terrible Ultra Sophie's Choice Turbo Edition, I think I might take I'm My Own Master Now over all the rest. "Time to Leave Them All BEHIIIIIIIIND" just gets my blood pumping so hard.

I feel the same way. I'm My Own Master Now with my acoustic intro is my favorite song on the OST with The War Still Rages Within a close second.

I'm My Own Master Now + Acoustic intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfsxYDURhvw

The War Still Rages Within
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yih94-oeIpY

I feel the same way. I'm My Wwn Master Now is my favorite song on the OST with The War Still Rages Within a close second.

And that flamenco guitar intro that fades in all subtle-like while Raiden and Blade Wolf are talking smack before the fight? That whole cutscene, from the first chin-gag of the game, and Raiden slicing the container and Wolf pouncing down as it splits in half, and the bit where Wolf just calmly states "I AM HERE TO KILL YOU" is godlike.

ARRROOOOOOOOOOO

Neiteio

"A Stranger I Remain" is easily my favorite. The soundtrack for this game is on my daily playlist and I listen to it while playing other games.
Yep, "A Stranger I Remain" is my favorite, as well. Second favorite is "Red Sun."

Question about the boss replay mode: Does it include the cutscenes at the start of the boss battle?

And that flamenco guitar intro that fades in all subtle-like while Raiden and Blade Wolf are talking smack before the fight? That whole cutscene, from the first chin-gag of the game, and Raiden slicing the container and Wolf pouncing down as it splits in half, and the bit where Wolf just calmly states "I AM HERE TO KILL YOU" is godlike.

ARRROOOOOOOOOOO
It's also cool how Blade Wolf draws a line in the sand... with a chainsaw. And don't forget Raiden catching the superheated throwing knife... with his high heels.

EAT ME.

suckmydickjbjjs.png

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, WHAT DID I MISS!!!!!!

wtfzsjds.png

Still worth it, now that the mountain has been scaled I know I can do it again reliably enough.

kikonawa

Played it on ps3. Pc version is marginally better looking.its a poor upressed version .
They could have at least use new textures

dk_

Stop lying. I bought this game because of GAF. Started it on hard (tip in here) = mistake. Played again on normal and it was fine. Except the bosses who are unfair, tedious and the abysmal camera does the rest.

In all seriousness I would like to know what fight I missed, looking at the ranked fight lists I think that's number 8 which would make it the Hammerhead fight but I know I S ranked that one, and the secret slider fight

TnK

Stop lying. I bought this game because of GAF. Started it on hard (tip in here) = mistake. Played again on normal and it was fine. Except the bosses who are unfair, tedious and the abysmal camera does the rest.
Why lie? It was not that hard on hard, in fact, it is actually this game's normal if we take Platinum's difficulty level standards, and armstrong is a test of EVERYTHING you learned in the game. Plus, the boss' presentation is nuts, he punches lava, and throws bits of an MG at you, what's not to like? Lol

Also, it is normal to lose a lot. I spent an hour+ trying to beat this guy the first time. You will die, a lot. But this boss is an example of a good hard boss design. Beating him will be really satisfying, trust me.
Yeah. Bossfight of the gen for me. Everything about it is awesome.
Bingo, it is there along with Jubelius for me.

dk_

Instadeath when you miss a blade mode moment when he throws the rocks? That's fucking bad game design. No chance to get health packs otherwise. But it's not only Armstrong. In fact every bossfight was really tedious and had unfair moments like that. For instance when you hit the ground, can't get up fast and getting juggled.

Jintor

Man, I must've gotten so bad at this over the last few months of not playing, or the 360 controller thumbsticks doesn't reset as fast. I can't even no damage Sam on normal anymore, it feels like my parry inputs stop working at random intervals during his combos.

You want to talk unfair game design let's talk the fucking commonplace rocket-trooper asshole enemy. You don't even get a SECOND of warning before they fucking fire, they're very close to hitscan explosive, they knock you out of pretty much everything and on Very Hard and above they're almost all those white enemies that can't be instantly slashed in half. Fucking bastards.

Also the double grad boss fight in the sewers. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Instadeath when you miss a blade mode moment when he throws the rocks? That's fucking bad game design. No chance to get health packs otherwise. But it's not only Armstrong. In fact every bossfight was really tedious and had unfair moments like that. For instance when you hit the ground, can't get up fast and getting juggled.

Tbh the thing that gets me is that sometimes I can block "unblockable" attacks and sometimes I can't. Unless it's like a different shade of yellow and I just haven't picked up on it properly. But on Normal, even making a number of mistakes in any given fight it's still super easy to plow through it all. Actually the hardest part in one fight wasn't the fight per se, it was the silly death-star-trench-run up to the roof of a building straight after it. Not hard to finish, but I took a lot of damage there and couldn't be bothered restarting to do it better.

TnK

I highly doubt he kills you with one hit on normal if when he throws debris at you. That doesn't even happen on hard as I recall. You can take your time btw, you don't need to do it fast.

What's the percentage of your health, and how much damage do you take before that moment?

Jintor

I highly doubt he kills you with one hit on normal if when he throws debris at you. That doesn't even happen on hard as I recall. You can take your time btw, you don't need to do it fast.

What's the percentage of your health, and how much damage do you take before that moment?

I'm pretty sure you always take more than 100% hp damage with a single hit from his throws. If you have nanopaste of course you'll just get knocked into your next block.

Carbonox

Metal Gear Rising......unfair?!

e-t-dying-in-creek-stream-et-the-extra-terrestrial.jpg

i cant

There is nothing unfair about the boss fights. Maybe the shit timing here and there of QTE instances (and the camera) but everything is in your control otherwise. Even those shit QTE's which require extremely quick reflexes are still absolutely manageable. At least it's not as bad as Bayonetta which had some god awful QTE timing.

Jintor

yeah, but I feel like bayo as a whole system is more consistently fair cos you can dodge out of pretty much anything. There's, like, only one or two moves you can't dodge out of right? Whereas with Rising if you get gang-banged in a corner sometimes you can't even d/o out of it.

Lumine

Really enjoying the game. Started it on hard for my first time. I'm at Armstrong right now and dear lord he is ridiculous, in every way. Everything was quite doable so far, had to do a few restarts at some of the bosses I admit, but with Armstrong I'm not even getting close. His damage output is ridiculous. And he has 3 health bars? Not a single enemy had even 2 so far! Bah, I'll get him later today.

demidar

Man, I must've gotten so bad at this over the last few months of not playing, or the 360 controller thumbsticks doesn't reset as fast. I can't even no damage Sam on normal anymore, it feels like my parry inputs stop working at random intervals during his combos.

You want to talk unfair game design let's talk the fucking commonplace rocket-trooper asshole enemy. You don't even get a SECOND of warning before they fucking fire, they're very close to hitscan explosive, they knock you out of pretty much everything and on Very Hard and above they're almost all those white enemies that can't be instantly slashed in half. Fucking bastards.

Also the double grad boss fight in the sewers. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

You don't see the laser sight before the rocket comes? I use that to dodge rockets off screen.

The 360 controller is probably the worst for this type of game. At least mine sucks, the buttons are all spongey for lack of a better term.

TnK

He does kill you with almost one hit then? Never knew.

Take your time when cutting the debris, eventualy you will get it. They are three rocks, then his face. When getting the nanopaste, save. That way, you will have them when restarting again. Again, it is typical to die a lot vs. armstrong the first time, so you should not feel bad.

Jintor

You don't see the laser sight before the rocket comes? I use that to dodge rockets off screen.

The 360 controller is probably the worst for this type of game. At least mine sucks, the buttons are all spongey for lack of a better term.

it's not useful information all the time. The most you get is the audio cue before he fires and it's nearly instantaneous after that. Since you're vulnerable for a second after a d/o if you do it too early you'll still get hit :/

dk_

He does kill you with almost one hit then? Never knew.

Take your time when cutting the debris, eventualy you will get it. They are three rocks, then his face. When getting the nanopaste, save. That way, you will have them when restarting again. Again, it is typical to die a lot vs. armstrong the first time, so you should not feel bad.

Thanks for the hint, but I uninstalled it. I don't have time for this kind of game that keeps frustrating me because of its mechanics and flaws. I had such high hopes that this game might be good, but this year that's really disappointing.

But real talk MGR is the easiest Platinum game I've played (don't have a WiiU yet); even Bayo giving you super imba witch-time was more challenging than MGR.

Unless you're DSP-levels of stubborn I don't see how Hard difficulty would be so frustratingly difficult.

Carbonox

But real talk MGR is the easiest Platinum game I've played (don't have a WiiU yet); even Bayo giving you super imba witch-time was more challenging than MGR.

Unless you're DSP-levels of stubborn I don't see how Hard difficulty would be so frustratingly difficult.

It's the most difficult Platinum game to *ahem* Platinum for me. Bayonetta was pretty easy in all aspects with the exception of the final boss on Infinite Climax Mode which was a pain in the arse.

TnK

Thanks for the hint, but I uninstalled it. I don't have time for this kind of game that keeps frustrating me because of its mechanics and flaws. I had such high hopes that this game might be good, but this year that's really disappointing.

If you don't mind answering, do you normally like hard games that kick your ass or not?

I don't know about that. Armstrong is the hardest final boss I have encountered in any platinum game. The two bogeys in Vanquish were much easier than him.

It's the most difficult Platinum game to *ahem* Platinum for me. Bayonetta was pretty easy in all aspects with the exception of the final boss on Infinite Climax Mode which was a pain in the arse.

Jubelius is actually quite an easy final boss even on infinite climax. Balder on the other hand....

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been playing this with my DS4 and I've loved it. I had started it on the PS3 with the DS3 but the PC version feels so much smoother for some reason and the better controller makes it feel completely different for me.

I started on normal and that's probably what I would recommend. It took me about half the game to learn how to parry correctly (don't judge me). As soon as I finished I replayed on hard which was awesome but I can't imagine I would've enjoyed starting there. I'm about to play through the DLC then I'll jump into very hard.

The only thing that has really bugged me is any of the QTE stuff. It feels ridiculous to nail all the actual fighting and then be instantly killed on a stupid QTE or one of the horrible running up/down a building sequences. Other than that it's been my first real action game that I've loved. Hopefully they'll make a second one and hopefully it's sold really well so Konami can bring some more stuff over to PC.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
No, that's why I went back from high and chose normal. The rest of the game was ezpz for me.

I can see why some people would say to start on hard but I think as advice it's a mistake. Hard isn't really 'harder' as such but requires better knowledge of the mechanics to get through. So starting on hard in this game if you don't understand the mechanics well seems like it would be impossible. Perhaps if you've played a lot of games like this before it makes sense but really it's not so much 'harder' as it is a test of how well you understand how the game works.

Anyway I would say once you've finished normal it's worth giving hard a shot and just skipping through all the cutscenes. It feels great to see how well you've learnt the game with a new challenge.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Armstrong is all the necessary ingredients of a good end boss coming together for the ultimate satisfying climax. Presentation and play. Delicious.

Drove me batshit on my first run way back when though. Seemed impossibly difficult at the time.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Armstrong is all the necessary ingredients of a good end boss coming together for the ultimate satisfying climax. Presentation and play. Delicious.

Drove me batshit on my first run way back when though. Seemed impossibly difficult at the time.

That is because you had not learned the rules of nature yet.

Top Bottom