• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Dreavus

Maybe I'm a sucker for it, but the idea to have instrumental tracks first and THEN have the lyrics come in part way through was a really cool decision, even for the boss songs other than just rules of nature. Gets you pumped!

Calabi

I was just about ready to give up what with the frustrations of the camera and stuns etc, then I got to Monsoon. That was seriously insane, perfect design, why not make someone immune to dismemberment. Didnt do too bad managed to get some parries and defeated him. I'm getting better slowly.

LAA

Need advice about this game to make it run smoothly...
Recently got a new laptop (i7-4700MQ, Nvidia GTX780M, 8GB RAM), I learnt before that it slows down in fullscreen mode, so put it on windowed mode, but even still, just isnt fast enough to play. I got it working better after setting the resolution to 768p, just a bit gutted I can't be playing this higher. I guess I'm putting this down to the game atm.

Anyone have any suggestions or know if we're expecting updates/patches/fixes soon?

Neiteio

Man, some of you guys and the camera! I just don't seem to run into these issues. I get blindsided by rockets every now and then, and yeah, offscreen enemies can gang up on you, but usually you can sense where they're at and when to parry in a given direction, or when to bounce from one enemy to another offscreen (to reset their wait time before they attack, so you can refocus on one enemy). I beat the game on every difficulty up through Very Hard, so I don't know if the camera is more problematic on Revengeance. I also don't bother with the VR missions. But for what I've played (Normal through Very Hard), the camera has been quite manageable.

On a completely different note: Monsoon's voice is PERFECT. If I could imitate it, I'd quote him all day!

Grief.exe

Need advice about this game to make it run smoothly...
Recently got a new laptop (i7-4700MQ, Nvidia GTX780M, 8GB RAM), I learnt before that it slows down in fullscreen mode, so put it on windowed mode, but even still, just isnt fast enough to play. I got it working better after setting the resolution to 768p, just a bit gutted I can't be playing this higher. I guess I'm putting this down to the game atm.

Anyone have any suggestions or know if we're expecting updates/patches/fixes soon?

Is your dedicated graphics card engaging when you start the game?

KarmaCow

I spent a while doing a no damage run on Monsoon it seems like everything that could have gone wrong, did. He decided to go into the tank & helicopter spam at exactly 10%, which is the absolute lowest health he can have before going into the final QTE finisher. I must be missing something with Sundowner's weapon because I saw a few videos afterwards where they manage to bypass the second tank & helicopter spam by getting him to 40% in the second phase. For some reason the best I could ever do was 50.X% and I swear I was doing the exact same thing in the videos. Gotta say that doing that fight multiple times in a row and having to sit through all the phase transitions has kinda soured me on that fight.

I did see a video about beating Sundowner in 3 seconds on Revengence in the related videos tab. I haven't watched it though I'm am curious even though I'm guessing it probably wont work on Very Hard.

Also I tried doing that no damage run while listening to a podcast. Big mistake. I'm not normally a person who cares about music in games but so much is lost without the music, especially in boss fights when the lyrics kick in. I don't even particularly like listening to the songs outside of the game, but they fit so perfectly in game. Kudos to people (person?) behind the song selection.

LAA

Is your dedicated graphics card engaging when you start the game?

...Dude I love you!

Yeah it was on integrated, what the hell? I thought steam automatically put games installed on dedicated, never noticed a time when it hasnt.

Will be sure to test it soon!

I remember hte last time this happened was with PCSX2... and was running with integrated for a while without me knowing. I am impressed with integrated graphics though... It can play some things well... provided everything is low enough of course.

Wookieomg

After the first mission when you can first customize Raiden, at the body customization section... I don't see anything, just like.. Raiden's hair and one or two pieces of armor on his body. His body and face are gone. Is it a graphical setting causing this?

Grief.exe

...Dude I love you!

Yeah it was on integrated, what the hell? I thought steam automatically put games installed on dedicated, never noticed a time when it hasnt.

I remember hte last time this happened was with PCSX2... and was running with integrated for a while without me knowing. I am impressed with integrated graphics though... It can play some things well... provided everything is low enough of course.

Its not an issue with Steam, but with Intel and the game not switching over properly.

It seems to be quite a common issue, though you may want to update your chipset and nvidia drivers, I believe there have been fixes but I really don't follow that.

This game is kinda growing on me a bit, but I still hate the lack of a deeper combat system. It would have been so much better if it was more like dmc, ninja gaiden ability wise. And the soundtrack. Fuck I hate the songs kicking in during boss fights. Dubstep-metal with harmonic singing is NOT ok. Otherwise it's fine.

Man, some of you guys and the camera! I just don't seem to run into these issues. I get blindsided by rockets every now and then, and yeah, offscreen enemies can gang up on you, but usually you can sense where they're at and when to parry in a given direction, or when to bounce from one enemy to another offscreen (to reset their wait time before they attack, so you can refocus on one enemy). I beat the game on every difficulty up through Very Hard, so I don't know if the camera is more problematic on Revengeance. I also don't bother with the VR missions. But for what I've played (Normal through Very Hard), the camera has been quite manageable.

On a completely different note: Monsoon's voice is PERFECT. If I could imitate it, I'd quote him all day!

It actively works against you when you're going for no damage/going for good times in VR. It has a weird inertia to it. Not to mention hour it goes haywire in corners.

TnK

OK, someone needs to explain to me on how to destroy all the helicopters Armstrong throws at you without them touching you. I managed to do that before, but now I have no idea how to pull it off again....

Roubjon

This game is kinda growing on me a bit, but I still hate the lack of a deeper combat system. It would have been so much better if it was more like dmc, ninja gaiden ability wise. And the soundtrack. Fuck I hate the songs kicking in during boss fights. Dubstep-metal with harmonic singing is NOT ok. Otherwise it's fine.

I actually think it being simpler allows a different kind of gameplay experience than DMC or Ninja Gaiden. Not only do I think it makes it more accessible, but it establishes a focus on parrying and zandatsu. The enemies are often robotic bags of flesh there to cut up rather than pose a huge challenge. The only thing I think would be an awesome addition to it would be the ability to switch between different weapons on the fly. I think that would add a bunch of depth to the gameplay that as of now may seem lacking.

Jintor

I also hate the way the camera sometimes seems to have an auto-snap to override. If you leave it, the damn thing won't just sit there half the time but will slowly try and swing towards a pre-set POV.

It's also way too close to ground level, needs to be angled above it for better coverage.

RangerBAD

Well, the camera is pretty bad on Revengeance. You'll see. (Ignore my statement before editing.)

I always think of this guy from Star Trek DS9 when I hear Monsoon's voice.

fd8c1d88b692e50a1d4ea808a45df9c0676c3596.jpg

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So a funny, behind the scenes story for the Armstrong fight.

When we did the final sound mix down in LA, we were getting constant updates on picture and sound requests. You'd get an email that said, we added some fire to the scene, and you'd pull up the picture and the entire 5 minute scene would be the towering inferno.

So anyways, basically it was heart attack city, "last hours" level stuff for the whole session. On the second to last day, we are looking at these Armstrong scenes and they keep getting weirder and weirder as they finish them. Then we get an email about the kick. I read it, looked at everyone, said, "I'm going to tell you the most bizarre thing of the week, and it isn't a joke."

"Crowd noise."

Everyone looked at my like I was insane, didn't believe me, and we went back and forth over whether we should call Japan to confirm, like it was an Emergency Action Message from Hunt for Red October. I'm glad we went for it, but that last couple of days (after hardcore crunching in the studio) were just hilariously funny/weird. At least we had a really awesome production assistant bringing us hot cookies, popcorn, and espresso.

Best part of it all was the last day. After working for 36 hours straight,
Blade Wolf on the ridge. Every time he would show up with the "wooooaaahhh woah woah woah" we would all throw our hands up like the Lion King.
Great scene for popcorn. Sound design wrap dinner that night was great, too. After working for over a year together, we go to our favorite craft beer and burgers place, but were so tired we ate in total silence, drank our beer and just said, "Great project. Let's go get some sleep."

That's how I will always remember MGR.

That is awesome.
Armstrong is one of the most epic/cheesy boss fight in action games, and i'm loving every second of it

Uraizen

Banned
OK, someone needs to explain to me on how to destroy all the helicopters Armstrong throws at you without them touching you. I managed to do that before, but now I have no idea how to pull it off again....

Here's how I did it, believe it or not. I would run all the way to the bottom right. Bottom right according to where the camera is placed after armstrong runs up to the top anyway. As soon as I'm in control again, I run to the left somewhat diagonally so I'm near the middle all the way on the left side. I wait for the zandatsu symbol to pop up and then go ham on the helicopters. Since they're all on their side now it's way easier to cut them. His cuts go really far; I didn't think it would slice all of them, but it does.

Clawww

it's absolutely mind numbing if you want to S-rank everything

just getting through the game, occasional camera hiccups aren't so bad

Necrovex

I couldn't beat the Armstrong fight, so I watched the ending on Youtube (I'm sorry! I just really suck at pure-action games). I plan to return to MGR to complete this fight at a later date. I was getting way too frustrated.

Gvaz

Banned
...Dude I love you!

That's an issue with laptops themselves. When i had a laptop i just said fuck it and turned off the dedicated card while on battery, but turned it on whenever i was plugged in.

TnK

Here's how I did it, believe it or not. I would run all the way to the bottom right. Bottom right according to where the camera is placed after armstrong runs up to the top anyway. As soon as I'm in control again, I run to the left somewhat diagonally so I'm near the middle all the way on the left side. I wait for the zandatsu symbol to pop up and then go ham on the helicopters. Since they're all on their side now it's way easier to cut them. His cuts go really far; I didn't think it would slice all of them, but it does.

I love you, it worked. Anyone that doesn't press restart in this battle and gets this right from start to has my respect. beating him with only getting hit once is easy. Without getting hit? SHIT'S HARD!

samhiredgyj4s.png

vg260

Is there a way to force borderless (centered) windowed mode?

This game won't do 1080p fullscreen for some odd reason, only 1080i.

Uraizen

Banned
I love you, it worked. Anyone that doesn't press restart in this battle and gets this right from start to has my respect. beating him with only getting hit once is easy. Without getting hit? SHIT'S HARD!

http://abload.de/img/samhiredgyj4s.png[img][/QUOTE]

Yeah... I went through the exact same thing yesterday. What a pain in the ass perfecting him was. I had an easier time with vr mission 18.

At least with VR mission 18 it's more predictable. Run to the right and the gekko will headbutt. Stand against the lines and the mastiffs will lunge at you first thing. Get near the fenrir and pray to god he throws his knives to kill the guys with hammers. Use the Sai on the grad because you'll have plenty of time left.

With armstrong it's a lot less predictable on hard. Wait for the helicopters to fall to a certain distance then hit him with a charge. Dodge back twice and hit him with another charge. Start another charge right in front of him because he's going to pound the ground. When he falls back just do Sam's ff+Y on him and BMC it over and over. You can do this even with no extra fuel cells. Dodge back and he'll do his stupid charge. Dodge forward through it twice, get near him, and unleash one final charge. After that it becomes pretty random and then you slice the helicopters. After that he gets pissed off and you taunt him. Slash with heavy attack and dodge over and over and over and over. Pray to God he eventually stands still for two seconds. Otherwise just keep chipping away until it's finally over. Also, never EVER stay anywhere but the center of the helipad. If he's near your when he does his charge, you're probably fucked. If you're near the corner, the camera will probably spaz out and he'll hit you off screen. He starts pissed off in revengeance mode... that's not going to be fun.

Not the Pc version, but it's release inspired me to go back and platinum this game. Still have a few to go but I think the hardest one is out of the way now:

xZ2MOgOl.jpg

Dario ff

Banned
I got a lot of requests for this, and I can't guarantee this will work for everyone since I did a very ugly hack on the Shader file, but here you go. A more proper way to do it would be just to recompile the shader, but I don't think the .dat package format is fully cracked yet for me to do that. All I did was disassemble the noise shader, look up the instruction for the sampler, and replace it with something else.

Download at your own risk. Backup included as well. Just extract on the folder of the game and overwrite.

Some comparison pics. The most noticeable difference is on the skies. That tutorial mission looks a lot nicer now.
noise226sb0.png

noise107sbc.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not the Pc version, but it's release inspired me to go back and platinum this game. Still have a few to go but I think the hardest one is out of the way now:

Armstrong no-damage as Sam
or Bladwolf's Revengence run. D:

RK9039

xZ2MOgOl.jpg

ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE US LOOK BAD? I'LL ZANDATSU YOUR FACE.

Sometimes, the threat of violence alone is a deterrent. - Jack Swagger.

ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE US LOOK BAD? I'LL ZANDATSU YOUR FACE.

Sometimes, the threat of violence alone is a deterrent. - Jack Swagger.

Armstrong with no damage took literally almost all of today to accomplish. The first two phases were honestly worse than the third because at least there I could use Wig B and Ripper mode to get a 200+ hit combo in blade mode on him easily.

Sykotik

I tried this, but it keeps getting like this on the screen.

Right-click on the Windowed Borderless Gaming icon on the taskbar, and go to game settings to change the resolution. If that doesn't fix it, then I assume you have to find a way to increase the actual game's resolution beyond 1080p.

Grief.exe

I got a lot of requests for this, and I can't guarantee this will work for everyone since I did a very ugly hack on the Shader file, but here you go. A more proper way to do it would be just to recompile the shader, but I don't think the .dat package format is fully cracked yet for me to do that. All I did was disassemble the noise shader, look up the instruction for the sampler, and replace it with something else.

Download at your own risk. Backup included as well. Just extract on the folder of the game and overwrite.

Some comparison pics. The most noticeable difference is on the skies. That tutorial mission looks a lot nicer now.
noise226sb0.png

noise107sbc.png

That is so cool. Good work Dario.

Have you found why its locked to 60 fps?

Dario ff

Banned
That is so cool. Good work Dario.

Have you found why its locked to 60 fps?
I've heard on the Steam forums that if you set the cap to anything else than 60 (done by the game itself anyway with the bugged refresh rate situation), a lot of the events that require timing (like the final boss fight QTE) apparently get bugged and go a lot faster than they should.

So it sounds like a mixed case of an engine that supports variable framerate and scripted parts requiring the fixed framerate. I've yet to find the source of the cap tho, and it gets a bit hard to test if it looks smoother without an actual monitor that is higher than 60 hz. (And this game seems to force vsync anyway, which prevents me from testing it with uncapped framerates like I did on other games)

I haven't played yet but I'm glad its not like dmc, I can't stand so many button combos.

Grief.exe

I've heard on the Steam forums that if you set the cap to anything else than 60 (done by the game itself anyway with the bugged refresh rate situation), a lot of the events that require timing (like the final boss fight QTE) apparently get bugged and go a lot faster than they should.

So it sounds like a mixed case of an engine that supports variable framerate and scripted parts requiring the fixed framerate. I've yet to find the source of the cap tho, and it gets a bit hard to test if it looks smoother without an actual monitor that is higher than 60 hz. (And this game seems to force vsync anyway, which prevents me from testing it with uncapped framerates like I did on other games)

You can actually very easily overclock your monitor through drivers. I just set mine to 75Hz the other day and I noticed it felt a lot smoother.

antitrop

You can actually very easily overclock your monitor through drivers. I just set mine to 75Hz the other day and I noticed it felt a lot smoother.

What are the potential downsides to this (other than obviously possible reduced total life expectancy)? I think I might look into doing this tomorrow.

I tried the VR missions, but so many of them were crap like shooting a turret or playing as a dwarf gekko. I skipped way ahead at random and that one was some guys on a bridge shooting RPG's while there were two custom cyborgs in front of me and I just didn't see any reason to really bother.

Tommy DJ

What are the potential downsides to this (other than obviously possible reduced total life expectancy)? I think I might look into doing this tomorrow.

Nothing. Not all monitors can do it, however, and the connection type (i.e. DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort) matters.

If your monitor can't do it, it'll either display a blank screen or it will drop frames.

samhiredgyj4s.png

Yeah guy, that is what I was talking about. Now try no damaging him on Revengeance where every time he does his new move he spins around like 10 times.

Sam DLC is some great stuff though. Someone needs to find a way to get him into the main campaign for fun.

tried to do it. have i done it right? Yes, it worked, but i'm mostly asking if these are the reccomended settings, or something like that.
6mrWu.png

Top Bottom