• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

The community hubs can be amazing sometimes.

community_image_139111jdx2.gif
Inspired by this informative video, no doubt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah4h4WXGPSk

EDIT: god damn it Spring-Loaded!

So, for those who are interested in either Speed-running or TASing this game, I have a nice little trick that I found that may or may not be TAS-able only.

In any fight where there's an automated sentry firing at you, if another enemy attacks you and you parry, you can actually parry the bullets. Sometimes, this actually results in a counter, and you can counter enemies that you'd usually have a hard time countering against like Geckos.

What's interesting is that when you do this on Revengeance, it's ridiculous because the counter damage is insane.

I found this out by doing the prologue on Revengeance and fighting Ray on his second form on top of the roof. He was going to do that face attack and I was going to parry it. Usually what happens is you parry it and you're able to cut his face doing around 30% damage (?).
What actually happened was that I perfect parried a bullet and countered him and it immediately rushed to the missle phase.
I expect this can also work on sundowner with the helicopter and some fights where there are automated guns (if you're doing an all fights run)

Anyways, thought I'd share this little trick. Hopefully it gets used if it's possible to duplicate :)

Teknoman

I don't know what it is with Platinum action games. I am not incompetent. Played through all the good Devil May Cry games on the hardest difficulty and didn't struggle that much in the process. Both Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta were supposedly really dumbed down compared to things like DMC, but here I am completely incapable of playing them.

I am enjoying absolutely no part of this. This is stunlock: the videogame. I go to a room and then keep exploding across the room forever from getting hit with all sorts of things. Much like with Bayonetta, the only tactic that somewhat works for me is mashing buttons randomly. Whenever I try to apply any kind of skill to it I'm just watching Raiden being thrown around.

Ninja Running whenever moving helps. Also launching /parrying whenever possible.

Ein Bear

MOTHERFUCKER.

iyIZTfd.jpg

Edit: Just ran the chapter again, managed to get everything, and I beat Monsoon first time! Thank god for that, think he must have felt sorry for me.

Iskander

Neo Member
The
Armstrong
fight with Sam is utter bullshit. I had no problems with Raiden on Hard, but Sam just doesn't seem to have the right tools. I'm on about my tenth attempt and it's just a stupid dodge-fest, where any mis-timing results in 40% damage. Meanwhile, my attacks do about 0.1% per hit.

Disappointed with the Sam DLC overall. Good thing the main game is so awesome...

The
Armstrong
fight with Sam is utter bullshit. I had no problems with Raiden on Hard, but Sam just doesn't seem to have the right tools. I'm on about my tenth attempt and it's just a stupid dodge-fest, where any mis-timing results in 40% damage. Meanwhile, my attacks do about 0.1% per hit.

Disappointed with the Sam DLC overall. Good thing the main game is so awesome...

Tip: Taunting lets you do ALOT more damage to every enemy. But you take damage from parrying. If you have the dodge down, then taunt and try to get in with some lights + charge attacks if you can manage.

Hypron

Tip: Taunting lets you do ALOT more damage to every enemy. But you take damage from parrying. If you have the dodge down, then taunt and try to get in with some lights + charge attacks if you can manage.

This. A charged attack does at least 10% damage to Armstrong if he's taunted. You can hit him with charged attacks after he does this move where he explodes and during his move where he makes cracks in the ground (if you're quick you can land 3 charged attacks during this attack, which will almost make him go to the next phase of the fight). I wouldn't recommend to use light attacks though, spamming quick draw (Y, Y) does more damage and when Armstrong starts spamming his grab move you have just enough time to do one of those in between each grab. It works really well.

Hurley

I keep forgetting that Sam has his taunt ability lol

Just finished up the Blade Wolf DLC, wasn't too bad, I enjoyed the boss fight.

Hot Wind Blowing is fucking amazing though, holy shit.

Only thing I'm worried about if they do a sequel is will they be able to match how amazing the soundtrack is in the first one.

If there's one developer I trust to go bigger and crazier, it's Platinum. When you're teaming up with a resurrected Sam, and Raiden's body has combined with Blade Wolf's (Constructicon-style) to fight Turbo Solidus on the roof of the White House at the end of Revengeance 2, Armstrong is going to be nothing more than a quaint memory.

Hypron

If there's one developer I trust to go bigger and crazier, it's Platinum. When you're teaming up with a resurrected Sam, and Raiden's body has combined with Blade Wolf's (Constructicon-style) to fight Turbo Solidus on the roof of the White House at the end of Revengeance 2, Armstrong is going to be nothing more than a quaint memory.

Yep. After playing Bayonetta 1 I didn't think they would go any crazier, and TW101 proved me wrong.

Does Turbo Solidus wield 6 swords at once? He should.

Honestly, Platinum could do a lot with Solidus's old design. Duel katanas, missile-shooting-and-gripping tentacles, fire-trail dashes, strength-inducing boosts, on top of an even more interesting movelist they could give him.

Jack the Ripper meeting his maker (again) would be worth it for the cutscenes alone.

TnK

This would be crazy hilarious. If that really happens, and Raiden+Blade Wolf go full on power ranger like construction style with crazy ass animations, I would probably be laughing for a solid 5 minutes.

Dahbomb

I want this game yesterday.

demidar

Honestly, Platinum could do a lot with Solidus's old design. Duel katanas, missile-shooting-and-gripping tentacles, fire-trail dashes, strength-inducing boosts, on top of an even more interesting movelist they could give him.

Jack the Ripper meeting his maker (again) would be worth it for the cutscenes alone.

"It's time to meet your maker!"

"No, you're going to meet your maker!"

"But you're my maker!"

"....shut up."

I can already picture lines like "I am Metal Gear Raiden!"

Also no White House, we need to go bigger, the final fight needs to happen at the Apollo 11 USA flag on the moon.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm honestly kind of worried about the canned PR response now, as they have been so candid with information in the past.

ubVyy3f.png

I'm not too concerned. There are many reasons why JP might have responded that way. It could be per the advisement of Konami because of JP's previous candor. Or it could be that JP doesn't want people to start posting about a MGR patch incoming when they don't have a timeline prepared.

Drake

For the most part I have the Armstrong fight figured out, but I can't make the second zandatsu cut when he throws the giant rocks at you. I can't seem to get it lined up in time. I didn't have this much trouble with Dark Souls bosses. I might just give up on this fight.

McNum

For the most part I have the Armstrong fight figured out, but I can't make the second zandatsu cut when he throws the giant rocks at you. I can't seem to get it lined up in time. I didn't have this much trouble with Dark Souls bosses. I might just give up on this fight.
Are you moving both camera AND cutting angle? You won't get a proper lock if you aren't. Also, you only need to hit three out of for of the boxes for it to count.

Nucl3arSnake

Neo Member

Don't give up! You are so close, just use both sticks :)

Curufinwe

It took me a lot of attempts to get the hang of it. Using both sticks is crucial.

Are you flicking the analog? That's one thing I noticed with when my friends played it, they hold the direction and then flick to the opposite side in order to cut, but that will only give you two slashes instead.

The cuts on the rocks are actually really forgiving. You just gotta make sure you hit all 4 squares and you're good. Hold a direction and just let the analog go like a slingshot.

Are you flicking the analog? That's one thing I noticed with when my friends played it, they hold the direction and then flick to the opposite side in order to cut, but that will only give you two slashes instead.

The cuts on the rocks are actually really forgiving. You just gotta make sure you hit all 4 squares and you're good. Hold a direction and just let the analog go like a slingshot.

Could just hold it in the right direction and press either light or heavy to cut in that direction as well. Makes it alot easier.

Tecl0n

You don't need to be perfectly aligned for it to cut. Since that part is quite hard, the alignment/timing is quite lenient.

MOTHERFUCKER.

iyIZTfd.jpg

Edit: Just ran the chapter again, managed to get everything, and I beat Monsoon first time! Thank god for that, think he must have felt sorry for me.
I got an A on Monsoon and nearly had a heart attack, but reloading from checkpoint let me do the blade mode QTE again which gave me enough hits to get an S. I also missed a really easy fight in the Bladewolf DLC on Revengeance, every other chapter was an S :(.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

If I recall correctly, you technically don't need to hit ANY of the boxes on this segment, as long as you're in the general parallel direction/area, you don't take too long, and you don't slash twice. This requirement may change on the higher difficulties, but I'm not sure.

Just a quick question about the PC port. Did they fix the camera problem? You know the camera being in a random angle and you can't see the enemies etc.

Just a quick question about the PC port. Did they fix the camera problem? You know the camera being in a random angle and you can't see the enemies etc.
Nope, I was just playing through the Dwarf Gekko section again and every time I went through the tunnel where one of the secrets is, the camera would lock to perspective I had while going through it. I kept having to restart the checkpoint to deal with it.

Also, for some reason, I can't get past the room with the control panel to switch from the Dwarf Gekko to Raiden. I see the "Attract Attention" logo fine, but there's no button prompt and button mashing doesn't help.

Nope, I was just playing through the Dwarf Gekko section again and every time I went through the tunnel where one of the secrets is, the camera would lock to perspective I had while going through it. I kept having to restart the checkpoint to deal with it.

Also, for some reason, I can't get past the room with the control panel to switch from the Dwarf Gekko to Raiden. I see the "Attract Attention" logo fine, but there's no button prompt and button mashing doesn't help.

I hate how I can't see where the enemies are and I get hit. This is very annoying especially when I am going for S ranking and no damage bonus. It is not my fault and I have to restart the battle.

Is there a mod or an unofficial patch for this?

Drake

Holy fucking shit, I finally did. Thanks for the advice on using both analogue sticks and flicking them when I want to cut. Fuck that fight though and it's zandatsu bullshit. It completely ruined for me what was otherwise a pretty challenging encounter. It took me around 20 tries to figure Armstrong's moves out and another 50 to properly do the 3 cut sequence. Overall a really fun game though. I'd definitely be down for another one.

Dario ff

Banned
Well I said that after 2-3 weeks if this game didn't get a patch I'd just release my patcher (been done for weeks already), so here you go. In case you don't want to use a program, you can always just apply the manual patching for the latest version with these addresses. Keep in mind this will only work for the latest version of the game (The first patched version), so if they do any further updates this tool will be useless until re-done (I'm hoping they add proper resolution support with the next patch anyway).

Download here. (Updated as of 04/17/14) This should make a backup of your exe before patching on the same folder if it doesn't exist yet, but feel free to make one of your own just in case.

TMPxlpr.png

Few things to note.
  • Weird behaviour with shadowmaps at very high resolutions. It's probably related to VRAM usage?
  • You have to re-select the resolution each time you boot up the game. It's annoying, but it's due to the way the game tries to autodetect the resolution on the display list it should use. (i.e., if you use 1600x900 and boot up in that resolution, the game will try to cap it to the next lowest resolution, 1366x768)
  • Might not work in fullscreen if you don't have the display mode available due to this game requesting the refresh rate of it.
  • If you have 1440p available on your display modes yet you have a 1080p monitor over HDMI, using this hack will actually fix the 24/50hz bug as a side-effect because 60 HZ will be the only mode for 1440p by default. The new patch has rendered this trick useless, as it now detects the first refresh rate based on the desktop resolution with any mode selected.
  • Should work fine in Windowed mode.

Don't forget to check out my other mod as well if you want for removing the grain filter.

Gvaz

Banned
So the fact Konami guy is watching this thread as well as platinum, that means you guys are working on issues stated here, right?

I asked this in the Steam thread, but was overlooked about Grief being banned. I have the game installed, but on Steam appears like I don't. It tells me to install, but I can access the game normally through the steamapps folder.

It is on a external HDD, but almost every game I have installed are on that and they don't have this problem...

Steam glitch maybe?

Something I've always neglected to ask with this game; has anyone found a (close-to) surefire way of getting out of blade mode quickly once activated?

I seem to really need it for some VR missions of the Steam version.

Something I've always neglected to ask with this game; has anyone found a (close-to) surefire way of getting out of blade mode quickly once activated?

It should stop immediately if you let go of the button, unless you've got it set up as a toggle. In that case, tap the button again.

ArjanN

Just quickly hit the blade mode trigger again.

Gbraga

I can already picture lines like "I am Metal Gear Raiden!"

Also no White House, we need to go bigger, the final fight needs to happen at the Apollo 11 USA flag on the moon.

OOOOOOOH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

CAN THEY PLAY DVORAK AS WELL???? PLEASE

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Aaron

Holy fucking shit, I finally did. Thanks for the advice on using both analogue sticks and flicking them when I want to cut. Fuck that fight though and it's zandatsu bullshit. It completely ruined for me what was otherwise a pretty challenging encounter. It took me around 20 tries to figure Armstrong's moves out and another 50 to properly do the 3 cut sequence. Overall a really fun game though. I'd definitely be down for another one.
I'm with you man. I just finished that fight, and that whole thing was bullshit. The camera was awful, the hitboxes for the fire are bigger than the actual fire, they give you almost no time to set up those zandatsus, his grab has absurd range, and no hint of what you're supposed to do when he heals (I had to use a faq). It's the only fight in the entire game where I felt it was just a matter of luck.

After watching Two Best Friends Play MGR, I figured out why I couldn't get past that section: the game locked the dwarf gekko into the rolling position as soon as I passed the checkpoint.

Going in through the title menu fixed it, but man, that was the first potentially game ending glitch I've seen in a long time.

SOLDIER

I can't believe they still haven't fixed the HDMI framerate bug.

What's the best program for having a game automatically go into borderless fullscreen? I just want something I can enable solely for this game and not have to worry about manually booting it up every time.

Drake

So yeah, this Blade Wolf fight on the Jetstream DLC. I feel like I'm fighting the camera more then the boss.

Top Bottom