• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater...

Solid

bgsignature.gif

Stole this from Otacon over at Otacon's MGS site, awesome!

Anyway, what's your expectations in MGS3? Do you think it will surpass MGS2? Or even MGS1? Please, share your thoughts!

Unfortunately I have to wait for the PAL-version in March :( But I have Halo 2 and Prince of Persia 2 to play with until then.

Boxart, so you know what game to buy on November 17 :p

B0002RQ3ES.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

COUNTDOWN: 12 DAYS LEFT!

Lakitu

st5fu
Excellent, time to get the hype train rolling! I'm waiting for the PAL release aswell though, but I have other games to tide me over.

nice site.

my expectations are now high, I know the game will be good. I will enjoy the game too.

I just hope it has a consistent frame rate. That is all

I expect the storyline to be greater than the gameplay; but that it will still be incredibly fun. The fact that we get to chow down on wild animals + fantastic visuals will make this MGS a 9/10 in my book. Snake > Sam Fisher

TheGreenGiant said:
I expect the storyline to be greater than the gameplay; but that it will still be incredibly fun. The fact that we get to chow down on wild animals + fantastic visuals will make this MGS a 9/10 in my book. Snake > Sam Fisher

I agree, but Pandora Tomorrow multiplayer > stepmothersex plot revelations.

Elios83

I think that or this game,coming out relatively in silence compared to MGS2,rocks everything or it will mark the downfall of the series.
The answer on the 17 :D

Solid

I whished Konami had updated the official MGS site more often though. Like new screens, wallpapers, Kojima interview and stuff like that. It's been too quiet :|

Lakitu

st5fu
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
stepmothersex plot revelations.

:lol I'm one of the few that loved MGS 2's story line but that was pretty bad :p

Also, MGS 3's storyline is *SPOILER WARNING*
much more straightfoward, no major plot twists, it's even more straightforward than the original MGS. The real twist lies in the gameplay...

Elios83

Oh cool indeed,I read Kojima's team was considering to have downloadable contents but didn't know they have actually implemented them.Good stuff!

Mrbob

That tagline for MGS3 has bugged me:

"MGS relives yesterday to survive tommorrow"

This better not be some VR Mission. Something is going on here. I don't think it is as cut and dry as the entire game taking place in the 60s.

Lakitu said:
:lol I'm one of the few that loved MGS 2's story line but that was pretty bad :p

Also, MGS 3's storyline is *SPOILER WARNING*
much more straightfoward, no major plot twists, it's even more straightforward than the original MGS. The real twist lies in the gameplay...

lies in the gameplay? Explain please!! ;)

Lakitu

st5fu
WhippinSean said:
lies in the gameplay? Explain please!! ;)

Hideo Kojima mentioned that nothing he could do could surpass the surprise of playing as Raiden so this time he decided to add many twists to the gameplay, such as turning your PS2 off to let Snake heal over time. There are others but I fear I may spoil it for you, I can say though, some of the stuff in there is going to be amazing. Tim Rogers (Insert Credit) spoke about this, I can get you his exact quote.

Holy shit... Hideo Kojima is amazing, and I don't mind the spoilers... somebody spoiled MGS2 for me back in the day, so since then I stopped caring, give me that guys quotes so I can read some of the things.

My only fear is that the majority of the public and gamers will pass up Metal Gear Solid 3 for a few reasons, Halo 2, GTA:SA and of course, Metal Gear Solid 2.

It's sad, really fucking sad. They don't know what they will be missing out on, I think this will be the best game of the year, followed by GTA: SA.

Lakitu

st5fu
WhippinSean said:
Holy shit... Hideo Kojima is amazing, and I don't mind the spoilers... somebody spoiled MGS2 for me back in the day, so since then I stopped caring, give me that guys quotes so I can read some of the things.

Tim Rogers on MGS 3

Not much spoiler in here but I'll put a tag anyhow

To ease any fears, I must say that the game's "fucked-up"ness stems mostly from gameplay concept, and not story. There are a lot oof odd, quirky things going on in the gameplay, like, for example, being able to heal by saving, turning the system off and waiting (a few weeks, depending on the injury).

And things like the game deleting your save if you mess with the internal clock.

I . . . really don't know how it does this. Just as I don't know how Boktai only works with real sunlight.

There are many, many more odd little weird things about the gameplay that I will not comment on, simply because I remember how great it was to play Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. The revelation of Raiden as the hero was perhaps the biggest shock ever in "cinematic" videogame history.

The question on everyone's mind is "Does Metal Gear Solid 3 shock on the same level as Metal Gear Solid 2?" I'll go ahead and answer, without spoiling anything, that no, it does not. There are a few huge, violent turnarounds in the story; however, Kojima knows (and he told me he knows) that he can't surprise people like he did with Raiden anymore. So rather than try to surprise with the story (which is a rather mature mix of 1's seriousness/preachiness and 2's flat-out mischeivous quirk), he surprises with the gameplay this time. He told me that's what he was going for, and . . . that much I understand now. So there are things regarding the gameplay that i will not spoil -- and I'm not talking about being able to hang from tree limbs with one hand and shoot guards on the ground with the other hand. You need to think slightly bigger than that. Think about LIFE and DEATH.

The idea of a game with a cliffhanger segment that required the player to access the internet at a specific URL and submit a certain piece of highly personal information (which would then be background-checked by Konami staff) in order to be granted a password to a game-serial-number-specific password to access the next part of the story, was something I presented to Kojima, causing him to explode into a really sick-looking smile. Though he doesn't do it in Metal Gear Solid 3, he's "thinking about it" for "something" "in the future".

In closing -- I think I know what Kojima's next game is!! He hasn't told me yet, though, well, I think I guessed already.

Anyway, as regards Metal Gear Solid 3 -- the US version is released on November 17th. That ain't too far away!! You will have it soon. So stop reading forums about it, because a couple of the pre-release (review) copies are going to be getting out soon, and that means people are going to start spoiling stuff.

SO!!! Go read a book! I recommend Kobo Abe's "The Woman in the Dunes," and so does Kojima.

Thanks, this will amaze me even more than I thought, and I thought the story was gonna have big cliffhangers, and big suprises... I certainly hope it still does... cause it would suck if all those trailers pretty much spoiled everything!

evil ways

I've already reached Las Venturras in GTA SA, so by the time Snake Eater comes out, I'll probably finish SA and direct all my attention to Snake Eater.

I can't fucking wait. Unless it needs to be unlocked, I'll be capturing chimps all Thanksgiving week.

Lakitu

st5fu
WhippinSean said:
Thanks, this will amaze me even more than I thought, and I thought the story was gonna have big cliffhangers, and big suprises... I certainly hope it still does... cause it would suck if all those trailers pretty much spoiled everything!

Oh believe me, there are plenty of surprises, you'll have to wait and see! Just don't expect anything as major as Raiden.

I had this game preordered for months, easily my most anticipated game of the past couple of years or so... Crappy story or not, MGS2 remains the game I had the most fun with this generation, beat it about 20 times maybe, on every difficulty unlocking everything...

My favorite thing about MGS3 so far is the setting, I used to go to the USSR twice a year when I was a kid, and continued to go to Russia and Ukraine after the collapse of the soviet union, and my genetical/social heritage comes from that geographical area too, so you can see the whole Russian/Soviet theme is both nostalgic and a big part of my life, this game should easily surpass MGS2 for me, and that's saying A LOT consider how much I love that game.

In Konami and Kojima I trust.

Lakitu said:
Oh believe me, there are plenty of surprises, you'll have to wait and see! Just don't expect anything as major as Raiden.

Well actually, Raiden really didn't shock me at all, I was like... oh a different character to play as, just like in any other game... what did suprise me obviously were things like the Patriots, Ocelots involvment, how it was all just a big plan to get Solid Snake, Liquid being alive still, those things were actually BIG things to me!

I hope that we at least get to continue onwards or there is some info or explanation on what happens after the ending in MGS 2. I mean Liquid leaves, the Patriots are dead... I have to know and the answers better be in MGS 3 :D

acklame

I can't fucking wait :D

I expect it to far surpess the previous MGS...ever since E3 2003 it has been looking amazingly good!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wait, did I read that right?

Will gamers be required to leave the game for an ACTUAL, real-time period of a few weeks, to let Snake heal? For instance, after he gets his arm broken by The Boss, will we be forced to save the game to our memory card, and leave the game for a specific time period? And any attempt to circumvent the clock, will result in deletion of our Save?

If true, that's going to piss off a hell of a lot of renters.

From what I've heard things like that are there for you to take advantage of if you choose. As is clear from the trailers Snake is going to take a beating in this game and if you happen to save and take some time off from the game Snake will heal up somewhat while you were away. However, you aren't forced to do that, you'll just have to deal with Snake's injuries(wounds, broken limbs, poisons) as you go.

skip

Goreomedy said:

Will gamers be required to leave the game for an ACTUAL, real-time period of a few weeks, to let Snake heal? For instance, after he gets his arm broken by The Boss, will we be forced to save the game to our memory card, and leave the game for a specific time period? And any attempt to circumvent the clock, will result in deletion of our Save?

If true, that's going to piss off a hell of a lot of renters.

that's totally not true.
you aren't forced to turn anything off, you can easily get around whatever happens in-game whenever you want.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My only fear is that the majority of the public and gamers will pass up Metal Gear Solid 3 for a few reasons, Halo 2, GTA:SA and of course, Metal Gear Solid 2.
I kinda think that most people who are going bananas over GTA and Halo wouldn't buy MGS3 anyways - or even worse, would buy it and then bitch for years like I'd imageine many did after being 'tricked' into buying MGS2. I'm a bit worried myself that MGS3 won't sell all that great, but we'll see.

This better not be some VR Mission
Almost certainly not. Tagline means that MGS3 will be like a history material for MGS series. Explanation of how things used to be, and how they influenced present time.

hobart

Furthermore... because the game is very intimate with its players... it's a statement as to how better YOU can play the game knowing what happened in the past and uncovering the truth.

I've been wowed by both MGS's in different ways... If I'm wowed again... I still want it to be unique. Knowing Kojima... I'm sure this will happen.

Mrbob said:
That tagline for MGS3 has bugged me:

"MGS relives yesterday to survive tommorrow"

This better not be some VR Mission. Something is going on here. I don't think it is as cut and dry as the entire game taking place in the 60s.

I think that part will be straight forward. I think it just means they're going to show you how all the current events in the series came through by letting you play as Big Boss since everything really begins and branches off from him. The VR Mission aspect isn't needed to show this.

I'm glad that its going to have some Snake Tales missions since MGS2 was pretty bare bones as far as main extras go. I don't think they've commented on there being any VR Missions but it seems possible.

Socreges

Banned
I expect it to be my favourite game this year. Surpassing Pikmin 2, PES4, Paper Mario 2, and GTASA. No small feat. Yet, I don't expect to be disappointed either. If I wasn't so busy, I'd probably be pretty excited. Two more weeks, I guess.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Socreges said:
I expect it to be my favourite game this year. Surpassing Pikmin 2, PES4, Paper Mario 2, and GTASA. No small feat. Yet, I don't expect to be disappointed either. If I wasn't so busy, I'd probably be pretty excited. Two more weeks, I guess.

Same here, I think Metal Gear Solid 2 might be my favorite game this generation. It's either Metal Gear Solid 2 or Dark Cloud 2, I can never really decide.

Socreges

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
Same here, I think Metal Gear Solid 2 might be my favorite game this generation. It's either Metal Gear Solid 2 or Dark Cloud 2, I can never really decide.
You're in a different position, kinda. I wouldn't place MGS2 in my top ten (twenty? sure) for this gen. Though I see no reason why MGS3 can't have everything that I loved about MGS2, fix [some of] its shortcomings, and improve on it. I really enjoyed the demo, too.

Socreges

Banned
adelgary said:
9, 9.5, 10 from EGM - W000000T!!
Just wait for Gamespot. They definitely won't give MGS3 anything that high. 8.9, tops. They never give PS2 exclusives scores in the 9s.

DUR DUR DUR

DUR DUR DUR DUR DUR DUR DUR DUR DUR

Solid

Socreges said:
Just wait for Gamespot. They definitely won't give MGS3 anything that high. 8.9, tops. They never give PS2 exclusives scores in the 9s.
True. Just see R&C3... every other site mag has given it 9 and 10s... but GS only gave it 8.7. If MGS3 gets 8.9 then I know it keeps high standard.

:p

Socreges

Banned
Deepthroat said:
True. Just see R&C3... every other site mag has given it 9 and 10s... but GS only gave it 8.7. If MGS3 gets 8.9 then I know it keeps high standard.

Of course Gamespot has a high standard. Coupled with the lack of "excellent" PS2 exclusives this year, we begin to see a trend emerge. Of course, that trend, according to you, happens to be an inexplicable conspiracy theory.

Still, MGS3 will get a 9+. And be yet another illustration of your dispiriting delusions.

Socreges

Banned
Deepthroat said:
I hope they prove me wrong, but seeing how other titles have failed I'm not too optimistic.
Hope? Optimism? Exactly how much significance do you put into Gamespot reviews for games that you'll like regardless?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
really good score from EGM. I cant bloody wait for the game, I really can't believe its just a few days away from release:). I really hope that there are still loads of plot twists though. I thought MGS and MGS2 stories were the best in any game.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040819045902540.jpg

What exactly is that black mark on Volgins forehead? On the videos, its seems to continue through his hair and Ive always been curious of what it is

duckroll

psycho_snake said:
metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040819045902540.jpg

What exactly is that black mark on Volgins forehead? On the videos, its seems to continue through his hair and Ive always been curious of what it is

Obviously the plot twist is that he's a zombie, possibly even a zombie-Raiden from the far future sent back in time to alter Big Boss' past by the Patriots. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deepthroat said:

I would give it even lower... :D

Jak II got a 9.1, though. ;P

Top Bottom