• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolf

Banned
madmook said:
Please explain.

it's probably the same technology Ocelot/Fortune were using. there were times where i couldn't hit them in the middle of the game as well.

unless they just didn't want you to kill them so the MKII segment wouldn't end early...

Solo

I find it humorous that Johnny's model looks more like young Snake than the actual young Snake mask does :lol

WTF is up with the young Snake mask anyway? Christ they made him an ugly bugger.

Farnack

Banned
Solo said:
I find it humorous that Johnny's model looks more like young Snake than the actual young Snake mask does :lol

WTF is up with the young Snake mask anyway? Christ they made him an ugly bugger.
You must've not played MGS2.

Farnack said:
You must've not played MGS2.

I agree. Its a next gen version of that really.

Also, johnny is what...in his 20's? Snake in the first solid was almost 10 years older, right? The similarity,m while there, is only exemplified by his youth.

gogogow

Just received the Japanese Limited Edition.
It's so fucking beautiful.
It has 2 slipcases!

Now I need the US LE to complete my MGS4 games.

Euro version, JP Limited Edition
Photo0236.jpg

JP LE unpacked

Image2.jpg

Solo

Nah. MGS4's young Snake looks like a younger version of the MGS4 Old Snake, but not like the MGS2 Snake.

Anyways, it doesnt matter even remotely. But I see more similarities between the MGS2 Snake/MGS3 Big Boss model in Johnny than I do in the young Snake mask.

After beating every boss so far on my first try
Vamp is ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh frustrating. So I know I have to inject him, but how am I suppose to grab him? I tryed CQC but do I just suck, or am I missing something?

Jeff-DSA

So what is the average completion time on this beauty? I'm through two acts and I think I've got to be near 7 hours or so. I'm checking EVERYTHING over though.

GuessWho

Oni Jazar said:
Was this posted? Tom Chick reviews MGS4 as a non MGS fan and hates it:

http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/GameReviews/Review170.aspx

I'm a non mgs fan and I have to agree. The game is well done, and the little details are really cool, but it's just boring. Cut scenes are waaayyy too long, and might I add uninteresting, to the point where i skip some of them.
He's right when he says on anything but extreme you can just run to the checkpoint, which kinda of defeats everything.

I figure to get the real enjoyment of the game, it must be played on extreme.
I really want to like the game, but I'm forcing myself to play it. I'm only in the middle of act 2, so I'll hold my final judgment till i finish the game.

Classic_Gs said:
Vamp is ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh frustrating. So I know I have to inject him, but how am I suppose to grab him? I tryed CQC but do I just suck, or am I missing something?

kill him
wait until he gets up
grab

Classic_Gs said:

When you knock him out by shooting him, he will fall and get up but be stunned for a bit. Run behind him and grab him then.

Durante

Jeff-DSA said:
So what is the average completion time on this beauty? I'm through two acts and I think I've got to be near 7 hours or so. I'm checking EVERYTHING over though.
Seems to be around 15-20 hours for the first playthrough.

Also, I wasn't a big MGS fan before this game and I really loved it. (I did prepare before going into it though, and I have nothing against cutscenes as long as they're good)

Narag

Classic_Gs said:
CQC while he's resurrecting

Solo

GuessWho said:
I really want to like the game, but I'm forcing myself to play it. I'm only in the middle of act 2, so I'll hold my final judgment till i finish the game.

If you dont like it now, you wont like it at all. Act 3 is a stinker, Act 4 is pure fanservice, and Act 5 you barely play at all. Act 1 and 2 are the ones that will determine, as a non-MGS fan, whether or not you dig the game.

Imm0rt4l

Classic_Gs said:

get a headshot on him, he'll fall down and regenerate. As he gets up cqc him and inject him.

Jeff-DSA

GuessWho said:
I'm a non mgs fan and I have to agree. The game is well done, and the little details are really cool, but it's just boring. Cut scenes are waaayyy too long, and might I add uninteresting, to the point where i skip some of them.
He's right when he says on anything but extreme you can just run to the checkpoint, which kinda of defeats everything.

Well, in that instance I think reviewers should be sensitive toward the audience they're addressing. I didn't quite know how to handle GTA IV, so I gave out two scores.

Sorry for the plug, but it's the easiest way to illustrate what I mean: http://stupidgamer.com/2008/06/02/review-grand-theft-auto-iv/

GuessWho said:

The cutscenes would be boring if you didn't go in knowing everything that came before. MGS4 is accessible from a gameplay standpoint, but you really do need to have played just about every game in the series to fully grasp all of the OMGLAWLZ moments. I went so far as to advise all of my friends who were interested to buy the Collector 3 pack and beat MGS1-2-3 first before going into MGS4. Hell, even Portable Ops has its share of lore that gets explained in MGS4. Otherwise it's as you said, a long-LOOOOOOOOONG cutscene with little meaning.

Gorechylde said:
The cutscenes would be boring if you didn't go in knowing everything that came before. MGS4 is accessible from a gameplay standpoint, but you really do need to have played just about every game in the series to fully grasp all of the OMGLAWLZ moments. I went so far as to advise all of my friends who were interested to buy the Collector 3 pack and beat MGS1-2-3 first before going into MGS4. Hell, even Portable Ops has its share of lore that gets explained in MGS4. Otherwise it's as you said, a long-LOOOOOOOOONG cutscene with little meaning.

no i've played all the games and find them long and dull. they absolutely destroy the pacing by explaining every little unnecessary detail that doesn't belong in a game

sixthsubset said:
no i've played all the games and find them long and dull. they absolutely destroy the pacing by explaining every little unnecessary detail that doesn't belong in a game

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I for one love how in depth the storyline gets. Some call it convoluted, I call it good story telling. There really isn't any other series with as much emotion and thought invested in the characters that spans multiple games and generations console wise. However, I'll definitely agree that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I even start to find the cutscenes boring after I've seen them all 3-4 times, but it's really the 1st time that counts and the 1st time I saw any cutscene in any of the games they were all great IMO.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Classic_Gs said:

really?

He was the easiest to me.

Gorechylde said:
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I for one love how in depth the storyline gets. Some call it convoluted, I call it good story telling. There really isn't any other series with as much emotion and thought invested in the characters that spans multiple games and generations console wise. However, I'll definitely agree that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I even start to find the cutscenes boring after I've seen them all 3-4 times, but it's really the 1st time that counts and the 1st time I saw any cutscene in any of the games they were all great IMO.

100% agree

Raistlin

le.phat said:
normally i'm not one to question an editorials integrity but even if the story/settings don't work for you, how can you give this game an 8 ? I'm enjoying this game more then anything else of the last 6 or so years. Its like i'm reintroduced to gaming. sheer joy.

This game is one of the most amazing and immersive experiences I've yet witnessed. Utterly incredible.

Steroyd

Classic_Gs said:

You have to "kill" him and when he's on the floor about to get up CQC choke hold him, make sure you have the syringe equipped so you can inject it in him pressing the triangle button

I lost many a ration on that guy, made the next act a right bitch. :'(

Guled

sixthsubset said:
Then skip them

Kydd BlaZe said:
Fuck! arghleflabblebabble!!

I just took the plunge and ordered a PS3 from amazon a few moments ago. As a die hard 360 fan, it was incredibly tough for me to do, lol. Giving up $475 (PS3 & MGS4), was very difficult. I had been thinking about doing it all last month, though. Finally got around to doing it. This fucking thread brain washed me :lol

MGS4 better rock my socks!

when you get it.. let me know your psn ID i will add you

Ferrio

Banned
Steroyd said:
You have to "kill" him and when he's on the floor about to get up CQC choke hold him, make sure you have the syringe equipped so you can inject it in him pressing the triangle button

I lost many a ration on that guy, made the next act a right bitch. :'(

You don't even have to "kill" him. If you hide, you can grab him when he's trying to find you if you sneak up on him

Steroyd

Ferrio said:
You don't even have to "kill" him. If you hide, you can grab him when he's trying to find you if you sneak up on him

:O

I'll have to make note of perks like that for Big Boss Extreme mode.

dralla

What's the point of disguising yourself as a rebel? The PMC's still react the same exact way when they see you, still call in backup for "another enemy", it seems completely pointless to me.

supercake

dralla said:
What's the point of disguising yourself as a rebel? The PMC's still react the same exact way when they see you, still call in backup for "another enemy", it seems completely pointless to me.

At least when you wear the
South America disguise and Young Snake face you look like Big Boss
:D

Aeonin

Does anyone know whats up with this in Act 3?

When you're tailing the resistance guy under the first bridge/water area, if you look behind you (or in certain places), there is another person tailing you! Everytime I try to go attack that person or shoot them, they just disappear into the wall. They only peak out really. But it is clearly another person, when looking with the NVG. I ended up just leaving, nothing I could do coaxed the guy to come out, nor could I shoot him. Right when I aimed my gun, he disappeared again. Who is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom