• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroTolerance

And who said they weren't marketing the game here in NA ?

2yvuiv4.jpg

ev9w6h.jpg

Both front and back cover.

tha_con

Banned
We really need to have a good 'rundown' to get through all the bosses, etc, and get the Big Boss rating.

The two I'm more worried about are Raven and Wolf. Clueless as to how I can beat those two quickly. The other three bosses are a cake walk.

I need about 2 more play throughs with more Chaff before I tackle the Big Boss ranking :lol

Defcon

Banned
teh_J0kerer said:
Why are you so bored?

No particular reason other than I'm bored with the action genre as a whole. I know it's a well crafted game, but I'm just unable to engross myself in these sorts of games now. Getting older and all that. :(

Wow. Finished it a couple nights ago. Don't have much to say. I haven't completely digested it all yet. Maybe my new favorite game of all time.

kitch9

Banned
clustering said:
Wow. Finished it a couple nights ago. Don't have much to say. I haven't completely digested it all yet. Maybe my new favorite game of all time.

Its mine already and I'm only at the end of act 2. This game is all kinds of epic.

I know its not 720p but its the sharpest most jaggie free sexiest thing to ever be shown on my TV.

All devs should take note and use whatever techniques Kojima has used for scaling as its the bollocks.

I've only played through MGS2 too.......I wouldn't say I was the biggest fan although I am now!!

if you could pull it off, i would be funny to use the tanegenshima on a bigboss run and wipe away an entire section of soldiers. its not counted as a special weapon.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Regarding ending...

I thought the ending would have been wonderful after the initial credits if they made the phone call convo (staple for MGS games) between two people, and the final reveal being the other person on the line = big boss.

Bricfa

Finally beat the game yesterday.
The Hallway scene and the final showdown with Liquid Ocelot were absolutely perfect. It really felt like I was pushing that last bit of strength out of snake to make it to GW, and the battle with ocelot made me yelp out in pleasure several times. The only thing that really bugged me about the ending was Meryl. Her shoulders were just too massive.

So I have to defeat the Beauty and the Beast bosses without lethally killing them right? Does that mean I can unload on them in their first form and just tranq them in their other? Is that how I do it? I'm getting conflicting advice.

traveler

Not Wario
Absinthe said:
So I have to defeat the Beauty and the Beast bosses without lethally killing them right? Does that mean I can unload on them in their first form and just tranq them in their other? Is that how I do it? I'm getting conflicting advice.

That's correct. (As long as you're not going for the figurines- that's where the conflicting advice is coming from)

traveler said:
That's correct. (As long as you're not going for the figurines- that's where the conflicting advice is coming from)

So what would I have to do to get the figurines? And is it possible to get the figurines and the face camo in one playthrough?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I was doing a "No Kill" "No Alert" run on Liquid Easy and somehow in Act 2 I got 1 Alert. I dont' know where, maybe during the Boss Fight but that really sucked. So I'm just going to finish it up with a "No Kill" achievment instead.

Having attempted this, I have to salute the people who are doing this on Big Boss difficulty. Theres some sections of the game where not Healing just boggles my mind.

traveler

Not Wario
Absinthe said:
So what would I have to do to get the figurines? And is it possible to get the figurines and the face camo in one playthrough?

Yup. To get the figurines, you have to kill the Beasts non-lethally and then search around the room during the Beauty phase of the fight to get them. (After you take out the Beauty, you leave the room, so you can't wait till afterwards to get the figurine.) The fifth one comes from doing the same in the first Frogs fight with the Rat Patrol.

djkimothy

BlueTsunami said:
I was doing a "No Kill" "No Alert" run on Liquid Easy and somehow in Act 2 I got 1 Alert. I dont' know where, maybe during the Boss Fight but that really sucked. So I'm just going to finish it up with a "No Kill" achievment instead.

Having attempted this, I have to salute the people who are doing this on Big Boss difficulty. Theres some sections of the game where not Healing just boggles my mind.

The really stupid thing,
in the battle with laughing octopus, the frogs are in caution mode, if they see you they are in alert mode. which is probably where you got that 1 alert.
The same thing happened to me so I'm just going no kill now as well.

traveler said:
Yup. To get the figurines, you have to kill the Beasts non-lethally and then search around the room during the Beauty phase of the fight to get them. (After you take out the Beauty, you leave the room, so you can't wait till afterwards to get the figurine.) The fifth one comes from doing the same in the first Frogs fight with the Rat Patrol.

What are you supposed to do with the figurines, and is there any place to view them? I've gotten the FROGs one, but I can't seem to find it or figure out what it does.

traveler

Not Wario
Jack Scofield said:
What are you supposed to do with the figurines, and is there any place to view them? I've gotten the FROGs one, but I can't seem to find it or figure out what it does.

After you get all five, you unlock
the Solar Gun.

traveler said:
Both the
Rat Patrol and the Crying Wolf
statues you get after the fight is completely over, since you don't autoleave either area. You're correct about the other ones, though.

You can view the figurines during any of the Mission Briefings after you got them. Go upstairs with Mk. II
(or III)
and they're on the table in front of the TV. The crappy video makes them hard to see, though. If you want good pictures, take them with a camera before you pick them up.

djkimothy

Jack Scofield said:

In the briefing phase, go to the upper deck of the Nomad with the Mk II. They're displayed there.

Big-E

I am about to start a Big Boss run. For those who have done it or have proceeded far into it, how did you guys handle
the chase scene in Act 3? I worry about this part more than any other on Big Boss Extreme. I also worry about the Gecko/Vamp fight in Act 4.

Guled

What counts as special items that will disqualify for the big boss rating? All I know are
the stealth cameo and bandanna

burgerdog

Awesome, just beat under no alert/no kills. One sitting, far far easier than the assassin emblem for me. Now the fun really begins, getting to mess around and stuff in mgs is the best.

ianp622

I played through the game normally on Solid Normal first and had a blast, making it my favorite game so far (I think). However, I'm trying No Alert/No Kill on Big Boss hard, and I'm just not having as much fun. I think what makes this MGS so great is the freedom of being able to shoot anyone without getting an endless stream of enemies coming after you. Imposing this limitation on myself increases the tension and strategy, but it ruins the pacing that was so great otherwise.

Anyone else feel this way?

Dave1988

BlueTsunami said:

"Rock me Baby" is your friend.

Dave1988 said:
"Rock me Baby" is your friend.

do you self regenerate to max health, and how fast.

also you can store up
roundhouse kicks in the finally fight. just do the combo prior to the kick then your next kick will be the round house.

tha_con

Banned
MarkMan said:
Regarding ending...

I thought the ending would have been wonderful after the initial credits if they made the phone call convo (staple for MGS games) between two people, and the final reveal being the other person on the line = big boss.

People would have gone absolutely ape shit if Big Boss was still alive and Snake was dead. I can imagine the uproar from the MGS community, it would make MGS2 look like a wimper, lol.

I was really disappointed in the Codec call at the end. I would have loved for it to been Ocelot revived or something crazy like Raiden or Gray Fox.

Solo

Orlics said:
You know what would have made this game perfect?

If they had gotten Sean Connery to voice Big Boss.

But why would Sean Connery ever be in a MGS game? Hes retired from acting, and has no association with this series aside from having his likeness stolen in the original game.

I will admit that the retcon to make BB Scottish would have amused me though :lol

tha_con said:
In retrospect, I think the 2 things that could have been altered were the
killing of Zero, and the Wedding scene. I would have been fine with BB dying, and Snake moving on. Honestly, it was better when I thought Zero was dead. His 'murder' scene was just...awkward.
But it's necessary in order to solidify the metaphor of
"reset to zero" that Big Boss uses. And, by killing a 105-year-old onscreen Kojima makes the player absolutely sure that no original Patriots are left. Every single one of them except Dr. Clark die onscreen in the games, and I think we're pretty confident Gray Fox got her.

tha_con said:
If you play it a second time and watch the cutscenes, you pick up on a lot more, with the only big "wtf' being
Eva jumping in a fire for no reason.
It's not for no reason.
She doesn't say so explicitly, but if she was the surrogate for Solid and Liquid, she was probably the surrogate for Solidus as well. That would mean she's jumping in the fire not to save her lover, but to save her "son". Still just as believable.

Dave1988

Shinz Kicker said:
do you self regenerate to max health, and how fast.

also you can store up
roundhouse kicks in the finally fight. just do the combo prior to the kick then your next kick will be the round house.

Quite fast, but you have to be crouching or lying on the ground for it to work. Of course, you can't move during it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom