• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm starting a no-kill runthrough on big boss hard - do APCs count as kills? I'm debating whether or not to rocket launcher this APC before the underground militia part in act 1 but thought I'd ask for the go ahead or not from this thread before I decided.

MisterAnderson said:
So I'm starting a no-kill runthrough on big boss hard - do APCs count as kills? I'm debating whether or not to rocket launcher this APC before the underground militia part in act 1 but thought I'd ask for the go ahead or not from this thread before I decided.
Holy shit, man. I was just going to ask this. Someone answer this.

Do APCs count as kills?

Ashhong

hey guys, weird question to those of you that bought the limited edition bundle off konami.

when did they charge your card? i ask because i just received it today , well yesterday but i wasnt there to receive it (about a week after release...thats lame) BUT my card is not charged. there is not even any kind of pending transactions. i would think that they would charge me before shipping?

did i just get a free LE bundle?! if so, its up for sale for cheap! :D

Ashhong said:
hey guys, weird question to those of you that bought the limited edition bundle off konami.

when did they charge your card? i ask because i just received it today , well yesterday but i wasnt there to receive it (about a week after release...thats lame) BUT my card is not charged. there is not even any kind of pending transactions. i would think that they would charge me before shipping?

did i just get a free LE bundle?! if so, its up for sale for cheap! :D
Don't be so naive.

They charge you as soon as they get a confirmation that the package was successfully delivered. Expect to be charged within a couple days.

Also - does it count as a kill to use lethal weapons against the BnB bosses and
then use the Tranq on their Beauty form?

I think I read something about statues? What do they do/how do you get them?

Hey guys I just tried posting this in a different thread but didn't really get a response so ill try here.

My friend was playing on his ps3(MGS4 of course) and his breaker blew which shorted his ps3 immediately and now it wont turn back on.

Do you think his hard drive with all the saves on it will be salvageable?

Ganondorfo

I've beaten this game 3 days ago, but I have some questions.

Is it me or is mgs4 more an interactive movie than a videogame, really you play for 10 minutes, then there is a 10 minute cutscene, a 5 minute codec scene, again a 10 minute cutscene, again a 10 minute codec scene, you get the point...
I am not dissapointed with it, because that is what metal gear is all about, but koijima went really overboard with too much storytelling this time.

Ashhong

U K Narayan said:
Don't be so naive.

They charge you as soon as they get a confirmation that the package was successfully delivered. Expect to be charged within a couple days.

=( thats lame. what kind of people charge after shipping?

anyway, real story. i cancelled the order a while back and even got a confirmation email. sadly i deleted that email. yet i still got the bundle...not too sure y i lied, lol. i had a reason, now i forgot it.

Liabe Brave said:
But it's necessary in order to solidify the metaphor of
"reset to zero" that Big Boss uses. And, by killing a 105-year-old onscreen Kojima makes the player absolutely sure that no original Patriots are left. Every single one of them except Dr. Clark die onscreen in the games, and I think we're pretty confident Gray Fox got her.

It's not for no reason.
She doesn't say so explicitly, but if she was the surrogate for Solid and Liquid, she was probably the surrogate for Solidus as well. That would mean she's jumping in the fire not to save her lover, but to save her "son". Still just as believable.

Her "son" who she willingly hacked off body parts and removed skin from to rebuild Big Boss' body? I'm sure I'm missing something but it doesn't make sense either way. If she knew it was Solidus, she wouldn't have cared. If she thought it was Big Boss, she wouldn't have been rebuilding his body using parts from Liquid and Solidus.

ascii42

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys I just tried posting this in a different thread but didn't really get a response so ill try here.

My friend was playing on his ps3(MGS4 of course) and his breaker blew which shorted his ps3 immediately and now it wont turn back on.

Do you think his hard drive with all the saves on it will be salvageable?
Probably, I'd bet that the power supply was just fried.

ascii42 said:
Probably, I'd bet that the power supply was just fried.

Thanks for the response man.
If the power supply is fried do you think he has to send it back to Sony to get it fixed or
is the console simply bricked?

Big-E said:
I am about to start a Big Boss run. For those who have done it or have proceeded far into it, how did you guys handle
the chase scene in Act 3? I worry about this part more than any other on Big Boss Extreme. I also worry about the Gecko/Vamp fight in Act 4.

Hardest part for me, took me a lot of tries, but I got past it by using auto-aim!

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
BruceLeeRoy said:
Thanks for the response man.
If the power supply is fried do you think he has to send it back to Sony to get it fixed or
is the console simply bricked?

The power supply is inside the PS3. It's possible to change it for a new one but you need good knowledge of the hardware.

kamorra said:
The power supply is inside the PS3. It's possible to change it for a new one but you need good knowledge of the hardware.

Being that neither of us know a damn thing about it his best bet would probably be to call sony huh?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Big-E said:
I am about to start a Big Boss run. For those who have done it or have proceeded far into it, how did you guys handle
the chase scene in Act 3? I worry about this part more than any other on Big Boss Extreme. I also worry about the Gecko/Vamp fight in Act 4.

Luck, and the Solar Gun. Namely in using it wisely.

Protip, during the chase, any hit is a KO. No need to charge (although if you can, do it, bigger hit box).

Blocking for good measure.
Still need some luck to sneak past the tougher parts, and need to know how to conserve the gun. It's easy to get an itchy trigger finger, and have nothing to using when you're going down the steps.

The Vamp fight wasn't too bad. He himself wasn't a big issue. A few grenade launched Stun rounds, and some shotgun stun rounds an he's out. Just make sure you're close so you can nab him with CQC. After that, it's a little luck. There's some Rail Ammo in the corner behind you, can you can sorta stay around there to survey and blast whatever head you find.

supercake

Warning for those doing a No Kills run

Laughing Octopus
If you are using regular guns, be sure not to kill one of the Frogs whenever LO mimics one of them on the ground. I headshotted the Frog, but didn't know it was considered an enemy, thought it was a fake, and it counted for a kill.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
BruceLeeRoy said:
Being that neither of us know a damn thing about it his best bet would probably be to call sony huh?

Yeah, but before that you could try his HDD in another PS3 to backup the save. Should work.

supercake said:
Warning for those doing a No Kills run

Laughing Octopus
If you are using regular guns, be sure not to kill one of the Frogs whenever LO mimics one of them on the ground. I headshotted the Frog, but didn't know it was considered an enemy, thought it was a fake, and it counted for a kill.

Do you know if APCs count as a kill? I read from other forums that Gekko's don't but the PMC's in the armor do, still haven't found any info on APCs though

Also, can you take out BnBs with regular guns
then tranq the beauty form without it counting as a kill?

I tranqed 2 of the 4 beasts on my first playthrough in solid normal, but am not aware of any figurines, did I have to pick them up or something?

Edit: Isn't Screaming Mantis
impossible to tranq?

djkimothy

MisterAnderson said:
Do you know if APCs count as a kill? I read from other forums that Gekko's don't but the PMC's in the armor do, still haven't found any info on APCs though

Also, can you take out BnBs with regular guns
then tranq the beauty form without it counting as a kill?

APCs, do you mean the armoured vehicles in ACT 1? If so, they do NOT count as a kill. Not for me anyway. Took out both of them with the mortar/RPG and 0 kills.

MisterAnderson said:
I tranqed 2 of the 4 beasts on my first playthrough in solid normal, but am not aware of any figurines, did I have to pick them up or something?

Edit: Isn't Screaming Mantis
impossible to tranq?

Yeah, you'll find the figures in the boss area after defeating the Beast mode.

Rengoku

Did a quick and dirty shop to piece together this cover for my mgs4 case :D
Original was posted a few pages back.

11rwytd.jpg

djkimothy

Rengoku said:

http://i26.tinypic.com/11rwytd.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is there a site available that I can purchase the poster of the front cover of that case? I MUST have it. :(

traveler

Not Wario
ChrisGoldstein said:
Can you watch the cutscenes all the way thru after you pass the game?

That would be so awesome, like a movie.

Nope. Perhaps you'll get your wish if :)lol ) they release a MGS4: Existence or whatever.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
traveler said:
Nope. Perhaps you'll get your wish if :)lol ) they release a MGS4: Existence or whatever.

I hope they do a downloadable content version with the content from Existence or whatever it will be called. I'd rather not buy 2 copies.

elseanio

ChrisGoldstein said:
Can you watch the cutscenes all the way thru after you pass the game?

That would be so awesome, like a movie.

I just wanna watch the [act 4]
Vamp v Raiden split-screen sequence
. I was so busy trying to stay alive, I missed most of it :lol My brother sat next to me saying wow every 2 seconds didn't help..

So I'm trying to buy V.Ring ammo and it's not letting me...WTH? Is that restricted in the harder difficulties? In normal mode I never even ran across any V.Ring ammo that I can remember, so am I just screwed?

Edit: Anyone ever use the emotion bullets? Are they just as effective as tranqs?

MisterAnderson said:
So I'm trying to buy V.Ring ammo and it's not letting me...WTH? Is that restricted in the harder difficulties? In normal mode I never even ran across any V.Ring ammo that I can remember, so am I just screwed?
Can you only hold 39 rounds? Because that's all I can get.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rengoku said:

11rwytd.jpg

Hot. Got your photoshopped print-ready version of this handy?

U K Narayan said:
Can you only hold 39 rounds? Because that's all I can get.

Actually I just checked my M4 Masterkey attatchment and it has 50 V. Ring rounds apparently. It won't let me buy any for my shotgun which has 0, though.

traveler

Not Wario
BruceLeeRoy said:
cant listen since I haven't finished it. What were seans overall impressions?

I'm going to assume you meant Shawn, not Sean, since his opinions since to be the, ah, controversial ones.

He really liked some parts and really disliked others. "Uneven" is his review of the game in one word, if you're looking for his opinion in a nutshell. More specifically, he enjoyed the way the game built upon the theme of aging/obsolete-ism but found a lot of the disparities between various parts of the game dampening to the overall experience. He also disliked, to be very precise, the tracking sequence at the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3. I'd encourage you all to listen to it when you've got the time rather than just trying to respond to my post here, though, since I'm sure any summary I can give off the top of my head like that is inadequate.

Pojo

Banned
To bypass the whole install thing, could you technically save after every mission briefing and just pick an act from the save game menu?

It seems ridiculous, but if it's the only way to let me replay the acts at my leisure...

traveler

Not Wario
Pojo said:
To bypass the whole install thing, could you technically save after every mission briefing and just pick an act from the save game menu?

It seems ridiculous, but if it's the only way to let me replay the acts at my leisure...

Won't work. My brother and I have saves at different parts of the game and each of us has to reinstall after the other has played. Which is totally ridiculous- this needs patching ASAP.

linsivvi

Dave1988 said:
Quite fast, but you have to be crouching or lying on the ground for it to work. Of course, you can't move during it.

Doesn't help you with the chase scenes though, which is where I'm stuck at right now....

Pai Pai Master said:
Her "son" who she willingly hacked off body parts and removed skin from to rebuild Big Boss' body?
I'm sure I'm missing something but it doesn't make sense either way.
If she knew it was Solidus, she wouldn't have cared. If she thought it was Big Boss, she wouldn't have been rebuilding his body using parts from Liquid and Solidus.
It can make sense two different ways, actually. On one hand, perhaps
Big Mama was feeling remorse over what she did to Solidus (even if he was never going to recover fully) and was trying to atone.
Or, if that's too far-fetched, then maybe
she still wants him for spare parts. Then she's indirectly trying to save Big Boss by retrieving the biomort. As a result they had to scavenge from Liquid instead, even though he's an imperfect clone.
The one explanation I think is definitely too strained is that
she's somehow trying to play a role for Solid's benefit.

traveler said:
I'm going to assume you meant Shawn, not Sean, since his opinions since to be the, ah, controversial ones.

He really liked some parts and really disliked others. "Uneven" is his review of the game in one word, if you're looking for his opinion in a nutshell. More specifically, he enjoyed the way the game built upon the theme of aging/obsolete-ism but found a lot of the disparities between various parts of the game dampening to the overall experience. He also disliked, to be very precise, the tracking sequence at the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3. I'd encourage you all to listen to it when you've got the time rather than just trying to respond to my post here, though, since I'm sure any summary I can give off the top of my head like that is inadequate.

Yeah sorry I meant Shawn. I loved the hunting part in the game was it not accurate enough for him or something? Actually nevermind Ill listen to the podcast when I finish the game.

traveler

Not Wario
BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah sorry I meant Shawn. I loved the hunting part in the game was it not accurate enough for him or something? Actually nevermind Ill listen to the podcast when I finish the game.

I can't remember for sure. They didn't get too specific with that part; it just seems like they found it frustrating or time consuming in general.

No_Style

traveler said:
Won't work. My brother and I have saves at different parts of the game and each of us has to reinstall after the other has played. Which is totally ridiculous- this needs patching ASAP.

My brother just started his session and he said he had to perform an install as well. I know why they're doing the install this way, but it's still ridiculous. They really should have given us an option do real full install.

dkeane

Database coming to the store tomorrow!

"With that, we are happy to reveal a very special surprise, upon the PLAYSTATION Store update tomorrow (Thursday June 19th) we will be releasing the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Database!

The MGS4 Database is a free, downloadable interactive application that contains the official knowledge base of everything that is Metal Gear, reaching all the way back to the very beginning of the franchise. Including complete storylines, character profiles, relationship diagrams, and much more! The MGS4 database is a great way to catch up for someone new to Metal Gear, as well as a useful resource for any veteran of the series, with complete official details on every aspect of the intricate Metal gear lore.

The MGS4 Database also contains a special feature – if you want to make use of the database, but have not yet fully played through MGS4 yet and are worried about spoilers – all MGS4 spoilers are “blacked out” until you’ve beaten MGS4. Give it a try!

But that’s not all, within MGS4, check out the EXTRAS option of the main menu (if you haven’t already). There’s already new, free downloadable content available for the game - with new camouflage and a new music track for the in game iPod. There will be more forthcoming, so be sure to check this often!"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

JCtheMC

dkeane said:
Database coming to the store tomorrow!

"With that, we are happy to reveal a very special surprise, upon the PLAYSTATION Store update tomorrow (Thursday June 19th) we will be releasing the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Database!

The MGS4 Database is a free, downloadable interactive application that contains the official knowledge base of everything that is Metal Gear, reaching all the way back to the very beginning of the franchise. Including complete storylines, character profiles, relationship diagrams, and much more! The MGS4 database is a great way to catch up for someone new to Metal Gear, as well as a useful resource for any veteran of the series, with complete official details on every aspect of the intricate Metal gear lore.

The MGS4 Database also contains a special feature – if you want to make use of the database, but have not yet fully played through MGS4 yet and are worried about spoilers – all MGS4 spoilers are “blacked out” until you’ve beaten MGS4. Give it a try!

But that’s not all, within MGS4, check out the EXTRAS option of the main menu (if you haven’t already). There’s already new, free downloadable content available for the game - with new camouflage and a new music track for the in game iPod. There will be more forthcoming, so be sure to check this often!"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

That knowledge base better contain Chaff Grenade locations. I'm on Act 4 now and so far i've found 2. Any help would be appreciated, i'll need more of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom