• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

domlolz

Banned
As Snake has seemingly always been an agent of the Patriots,was he still under Patriot orders when he and Otacon were doing the whole 'Philanthropy' thing around the tanker part of MGS2?
Seeing as a smear campaign was run against Snake blaming him for the incident

No_Style

Orlics said:
Some people just dislike having to pay attention playing video games, AND THIS SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED A BAD THING. Wanting a simple plot and wanting to have more gameplay don't make the person less mature.

Totally agree.

Dragon

Banned
Orlics said:
Some people just dislike having to pay attention playing video games, AND THIS SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED A BAD THING. Wanting a simple plot and wanting to have more gameplay don't make the person less mature.

Well but are they coming into MGS thinking any of that? It seems silly to complain about a game knowing full well that it's built a certain way.

domlolz

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
DOM
I have been meaning to tell you this bro.
Your avatar is awesome nice job.

From the thread master himself!
Thanks

I prefer that white background version much more and the ink splats as well

All the covers are pretty fantastic but I'd of liked that cg Snake on the PAL box,the atmosphere is spot on and it shows the amount of detail on the model

Is there any hi-res scans of the CG cover?

Ferrio said:
If i recall Big Boss flat out said Foxdie killed her
Right. I forgot about that. Either way, the injury probably expedited the process of FOXDIE activating. I was just trying to provide an explanation for the different FOXDIE activation times. My point was, that Big Mama's time was short due to her injury weakening her immune system.

domlolz said:
As Snake has seemingly always been an agent of the Patriots,was he still under Patriot orders when he and Otacon were doing the whole 'Philanthropy' thing around the tanker part of MGS2?
Seeing as a smear campaign was run against Snake blaming him for the incident
No. But at this point he was being manipulated by Liquid.

domlolz said:
From the thread master himself!
Thanks

I prefer that white background version much more and the ink splats as well

All the covers are pretty fantastic but I'd of liked that cg Snake on the PAL box,the atmosphere is spot on and it shows the amount of detail on the model

Is there any hi-res scans of the CG cover?

I haven't seen a really high res one of CG snake but Ill try and scan the cover today if I have time.

traveler

Not Wario
Anyone want to sell me a copy of the Bluray documentary? (or put the whole thing up on Youtube:lol ) I wanted to get the SE, but I had to get the Walmart game due to the deals going down and, now that I've finished the whole game, I'd really like to see it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
traveler said:
Anyone want to sell me a copy of the Bluray documentary? (or put the whole thing up on Youtube:lol ) I wanted to get the SE, but I had to get the Walmart game due to the deals going down and, now that I've finished the whole game, I'd really like to see it.
Sucks. I think it is worth buying the LE for that stuff. I have yet to watch mine since I haven't finished the game. I think they would sell about the price of a regular Blu Ray on ebay.

BruceLeeRoy said:
2h6wztf.jpg

Man I love this game.

DOM
I have been meaning to tell you this bro.
Your avatar is awesome nice job.

???? Original art please?

snack:
the reason why ocelot manages to fight one last time at the end is because he's injecting himself with the syringes. He obviously knows he's going to die from FOXDIE. I think EVA realizes she's been infected too when Snake gets on the bike with her. I don't recall hearing the sound the game usually makes when FOXDIE is about to kill someone when she died however...

jaaz

Moray said:
Well call me naive and immature but I would much rather read a book to get a good story than to try and wade through the convoluted and seemingly shallow "mature" story that MGS4 is presenting. You seem to be confusing mature themes with a mature story.

It may not be a fair criticism of the game since much of its popularity is indeed because of the cutscenes and such, but stereotyping people like that isn't helping discussion, especially when you throw the ageism in there. And by calling these days the "age of mindless shooters" you're ignoring games like BioShock that integrate a "mature" story in a more interactive fashion.

I was speaking relative to other games in the videogame genre. Obviously, no one is going to compare the story in MGS4 with the great works of literature. That is just silly.

My point was that this game took a step towards telling a compelling story by using movie-like cut scenes--yes, even long ones--and some people are calling this a flaw. I stand by statement that it is indeed naive and immature to think that all video games must conform to pre-established notions of what video games should be like or else they are considered "flawed".

LaneDS

Can anyone help settle a stupid argument I'm having at work? My buddy says the guy in Act 3 is humming the MGS main theme. I say it's the thing Sunny is humming in cutscenes often. Are either of us right?

jaaz said:
I was speaking relative to other games in the videogame genre. Obviously, no one is going to compare the story in MGS4 with the great works of literature. That is just silly.

My point was that this game took a step towards telling a compelling story by using movie-like cut scenes--yes, even long ones--and some people are calling this a flaw. I stand by statement that it is indeed naive and immature to think that all video games must conform to pre-established notions of what video games should be like or else they are considered "flawed".

I especially hate when MGS is compared to games like Bioshock, Half Life, etc, where you're just a faceless avatar. MGS games have stores, worlds and characters that simply can't be told and fleshed out in the same fashion as those games. If you don't like it, fine, but it accomplishes nothing to compare it to FPS games with no cutscenes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
To answer my own question from much earlier on, and to thank TTP for convincing me:

MGS veterans should play the game on Hard difficulty first time through. I just finished the fight against Laughing Octopus, and all the way through the difficulty has been perfect. I even managed to beat her using tranquilizer darts, it still wasn't too tough or too easy - just right (amazingly creative boss fight btw).

I tried playing on Solid Normal as well, and from the first few scenes I could tell that the difficulty change was mostly in the way AI was working, and it was for the worse. Enemies were a lot dumber and less attentive. When they do notice you, their shots would drain your energy in about the same time as on Hard, but they were really a LOT less attentive. On Hard difficulty enemies were more or less behaving the way you'd expect normal people to. They'd hear your steps if you're too loud for example, and see you even when you're not just a few meters away from them.

Basically, play it on Hard unless you're new to the series, and even then give the Hard a shot, play it for a half an hour and see how it works out. It's really not more difficult as much as it's more fun.

LaneDS said:
Can anyone help settle a stupid argument I'm having at work? My buddy says the guy in Act 3 is humming the MGS main theme. I say it's the thing Sunny is humming in cutscenes often. Are either of us right?

Sounds like Sunny's song to me too.

So far, Tenchu Z is the better stealth/conspiracy game. Story make sense, controls only hamper the gameplay slightly.

Plus my character looks like a demented John C Reilly.

jaaz

Orlics said:
I like the way MGS presents its story, but the elitism and pretentiousness in this post ("we are older and more mature!!! LOL"/"action movies are juvenile"/"games should always have characters we care about"/"insult my game that takes cues from film and you're naive and immature") honestly makes me ashamed to be a MGS fan.

Apologies, elitism and pretentiousness wasn't my intention. I did not say that liking pure action games was naive and immature. I like them just fine, but they are a different genre from MGS4.

What I find to be naive and immature is those that insist that MSG4 is somehow flawed because it dares to try and tell a mature story through (sometimes long) movie-like cutscenes. In other words, just because one doesn't care for the story and would rather just shoot something, doesn't make the game that does try and tell a story "flawed".

traveler

Not Wario
Farnack said:
Damn, I need another PS3 to watch the documentary while playing MGS4...

Whoa, awesome idea incoming- any of you guys played HL2: Ep. 1, Ep. 2, or Portal? Well, this game has an in game Ipod right? And there are supposed to be more Integral podcasts coming right? Well, how about developer commentary? I played all the way through all of the aforementioned games right after finishing them the first time because of developer commentary and I think it'd be a perfect fit and addition for MGS4 given all the things above. So how about it, Novery? Make it happen. :D

Edit: I agree with the Big Boss Hard recommendation. I played through my first time on Naked Normal and I really regretted it in the end. Not a single death the whole way through. Playing through on Big Boss Hard right now and finding it a little bit harder than I'd like for my first playthrough, but I'm going to pin that more on the fact that I'm going for (a) no continues yet again and (b) no kills than the actual difficulty. I think an MGS vet would enjoy it first time through without those restrictions.

dabookerman said:
???? Original art please?

I created a lot of covers for the game specifically the US version because it just falls so short of the art
created for the game. I was thinking of making one last section to the OP a boxart one that people can
download lots of different versions. Not sure if enough people would be into it though.

tha_con

Banned
Moray said:
Well call me naive and immature but I would much rather read a book to get a good story than to try and wade through the convoluted and seemingly shallow "mature" story that MGS4 is presenting. You seem to be confusing mature themes with a mature story.

It may not be a fair criticism of the game since much of its popularity is indeed because of the cutscenes and such, but stereotyping people like that isn't helping discussion, especially when you throw the ageism in there. And by calling these days the "age of mindless shooters" you're ignoring games like BioShock that integrate a "mature" story in a more interactive fashion.

I never got this. Sure, Bioshock was 'interactive' but mostly, you receive all the story while you play, through audio clips. There's something to be said about it's presentation, which is minimalist.

Same goes for games like HL2. Sorry, but it's fucking boring when you are FORCED to sit in an 'interactive' area and STARE at an NPC while they just look at you and talk. Presentation is fucking ace, IMO, and the way MGS4 did it in the Mission Brifings (and the occasional L1 to look or X for a flash back) is something that needs to be explored far more than the bullshit that is games like Bioshock or HL2.

Presentation is everything, IMO, just because you hear story while you're playing doesn't mean jack, IMO, especially when it's not engaging and you're just listening / watching an NPC...why not just make it a bomb ass cutscene instead?

tha_con

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I created a lot of covers for the game specifically the US version because it just falls so short of the art
created for the game. I was thinking of making one last section to the OP a boxart one that people can
download lots of different versions. Not sure if enough people would be into it though.

Those are all awesome man, but they are a little small, aren't they? Do you have the PSD's? I'd love to make one @300dpi for some great printing for my own needs, so if you've got that old snake (or an extremely high res old snake scan) that I could use, that would be *amazing*.

Shins

Banned
jaaz said:
What I find to be naive and immature is those that insist that MSG4 is somehow flawed because it dares to try and tell a mature story through (sometimes long) movie-like cutscenes. In other words, just because one doesn't care for the story and would rather just shoot something, doesn't make the game that does try and tell a story "flawed".
I started the series with MGS1 in 1999. It's been my favorite series since MGS2, and I enjoyed 4 immensely. However, I do feel that it contains flaws directly related to both how it tells its story and what its story contains.

I don't feel that just because something is my favorite series, its above criticism. If any of the points I don't like could be addressed, it could make for a more enjoyable experience, for me, in whatever the next game Kojima Productions develops. Its fine if you don't take any issues and see any change going forward from here as a negative, but if I can respect that for you, can you respect that others really do find some legitimate problems that affect their enjoyment of the game? I think most people would agree that their problems are subjective and grow out of their own wants and interests. I know that I do.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
tha_con said:
Sure, Bioshock was 'interactive' but mostly, you receive all the story while you play, through audio clips.

Actually, you could have turned the audio off and gleaned the sad reality of Rapture from the visuals alone. The audio recordings flesh out the experience for sure, but I think where Irrational really succeeded with Bioshock was in embedding the narrative into the visual elements.

That said, Metal Gear as a series has always utilized a much more cinematic and narrative driven approach. I can see why some people would have difficulty digesting it. There are quite a few meandering and intertwining storylines at play, many of them ultra intricate and told almost exclusively through long exposition sequences. I happed to think they are amazing, but at the same time, I find it difficult to fault someone for preferring a more straightforward, player focused approach.

Won

tha_con said:
I never got this. Sure, Bioshock was 'interactive' but mostly, you receive all the story while you play, through audio clips. There's something to be said about it's presentation, which is minimalist.

Same goes for games like HL2. Sorry, but it's fucking boring when you are FORCED to sit in an 'interactive' area and STARE at an NPC while they just look at you and talk. Presentation is fucking ace, IMO, and the way MGS4 did it in the Mission Brifings (and the occasional L1 to look or X for a flash back) is something that needs to be explored far more than the bullshit that is games like Bioshock or HL2.

Presentation is everything, IMO, just because you hear story while you're playing doesn't mean jack, IMO, especially when it's not engaging and you're just listening / watching an NPC...why not just make it a bomb ass cutscene instead?

Huh?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iNl8JnTlG-M

traveler

Not Wario
tha_con said:

How can you say all that and then cite the Mission Briefings in MGS4, which are EXACTLY like HL2/Bioshock's way of doing it, as the ideal?

Shins

Banned
tha_con said:
I can't watch youtube, but I assume it's a video of some NPC's talking, and GF walking around hitting shit or doing something else.
replace GF with Mk II and now I'm all sorts of confuzzled

tha_con said:
Those are all awesome man, but they are a little small, aren't they? Do you have the PSD's? I'd love to make one @300dpi for some great printing for my own needs, so if you've got that old snake (or an extremely high res old snake scan) that I could use, that would be *amazing*.

If you click on any of the images you can download a 300dpi tiff.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
tha_con said:
I
Either way, nothing about the presentation of the narrative in HL2 impressed me at all. The only thing impressive about the Narrative in HL2 is the narrative itself, which is amazing. The way it's delivered blows.

I feel the same way. Just preference I guess. The youtube link for Dog vs. Strider btw. A nice scene, but like...I dunno. It's just a different type of cutscene but a cutscene nonetheless. Sure, you can move around and what have you, but you still have no control, so it's not different than a MGS cutscene or any other one.

birdman

LaneDS said:

I swear it's the MGS theme.

Phatcorns

The meaning of "a mature story" does not have anything to do with the way it is presented. It has to do with the themes it incorporates and discusses. So if I used walking dildos to tell a story about pmc's and the effect they have on the economy and society, it could still be a mature story.

I'm not saying MGS4 is mature or not, as I really don't care one way or another, but I do care that some people don't even know the definition of a mature story.

Shins

Banned
birdman said:
I swear it's the MGS theme.
It is and it isn't. Its the same tune as Sunny, and it is very close to the MGS theme, but its just a bit off. I'm guessing because of the plaigarism issue.

Otheradam

tha_con said:
I can't watch youtube, but I assume it's a video of some NPC's talking, and GF walking around hitting shit or doing something else.

Either way, nothing about the presentation of the narrative in HL2 impressed me at all. The only thing impressive about the Narrative in HL2 is the narrative itself, which is amazing. The way it's delivered blows.

I have to agree with you about half-life 2, but that's for another thread.

tha_con

Banned
traveler said:
How can you say all that and then cite the Mission Briefings in MGS4, which are EXACTLY like HL2/Bioshock's way of doing it, as the ideal?

The Mission Briefings in MGS4 deliver both types of narrative.

You can watch the cutscene by itself with zero interaction, or you can interact with the MKII. You are never forced to mosey around waiting and waiting with no interesting camera angles or art to keep you engaged.

In The Mission Brief, you'll see flash backs, cuts to diagrams (I guess that's how you could describe them) and other video clips that go along with the narrative. OR, if your one of those HL2 folks, you can bump into shit with the MKII and tinker around.

Personally, I only snagged up the items I needed with the MKII and then switched it to full screen with the main cutscene playing.

Dyno

LaneDS said:

Whatever song it is, what he's humming is indeed what Sunny sings to.

traveler

Not Wario
Won said:

The scene you linked isn't what I was talking about. (It IS a good counterargument, though, as it illustrates one of the many scenes in which you aren't simply standing around watching people talk in the HL narrative.)

BruceLeeRoy said:
I haven't seen a really high res one of CG snake but Ill try and scan the cover today if I have time.

that would be super appreciated. i was really hoping that the LE edition cover was the cover on the game box but it was the cg one. so i keep that ugly fucker locked in its dungeon and switch the disc out with the bonus disc case.

Won

traveler said:
The scene you linked isn't what I was talking about. (It IS a good counterargument, though, as it illustrates one of the many scenes in which you aren't simply standing around watching people talk in the HL narrative.)

Oh was more of a "thank you". Saved me the time to write it down myself. :p

Oh and just for clarification: I was always a fan of cutscenes in the MGS games, but was really disappointed with most of the cutscenes in MGS4.

tha_con

Banned
Kintaro said:
I feel the same way. Just preference I guess. The youtube link for Dog vs. Strider btw. A nice scene, but like...I dunno. It's just a different type of cutscene but a cutscene nonetheless. Sure, you can move around and what have you, but you still have no control, so it's not different than a MGS cutscene or any other one.

Pretty much, different strokes for different folks, all that.

I really think that the delivery of Narrative in videogames needs to be more interactive, but not to the extent that it is in HL2, where total freedom is given to the player at all times. Sometimes, the intensity of given scenes simply cannot be conveyed through systems like HL2 and Bioshock. Another decent example is the end of MGS4
when you're going through the mirowave hallway
. The splitscreen action going on there was awesome, with the cutscenes on the top, and you basically taking snake through the hall, which "felt" like a cutscene on it's own. [/spoiler]

There are simply so many ways to deliver a compelling narrative, and I think a combination of multiple types it what is necessary for the medium to move foward, not just one or the other. Different scenes require different methods, and help to create a compelling yet interactive experience. Sometimes it's better to let the cutscene have more direction to maximize impact, while others, it is nice to give the player control. On certain occasions, it would be nice to get story via audio (similar to some codec convo's in MGS4 that don't take you out of the game). There are many many ways, and a combination of all of them is best, IMO.

Owensboro

BruceLeeRoy said:

*lots of awesome covers*

YES YES YES. Freaking thank you. I was so dissapointed at the US coverart (coughCGcough). The first and last are my favs, although I wish the lettering on the first was in red.

EDIT: Ooo, couldn't tell the lettering was blue untill I printed it out. Me Likey.

traveler

Not Wario
Like you say, different strokes I suppose. (I really hated
the hallway scene, for reasons I've already elaborated on
:lol )

Jeff-DSA

Steroyd said:
How many adverts are there when you start a new game I havn't come across the same one twice.

There must be quite a few. The time of day can affect what you see as well. Last night I hit an install screen at around 2:30am and it told me to get some rest because it was late.

Edit: My bad, I thought you were talking about the messages it displays during install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom