• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, if they add trophies for MGS4 AND MGO, along with fixing up the PSN/ID functionality PLUS the new expansion... well that's really awesome.

Guy Legend

Encouraging. Trophies and MGO-PSN integration are the two big things that will get people playing the game again.

I never bothered registering for MGO, but if they add the aforementioned features....I'm in.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lol, that whole comment section is complaining about Konami ID :lol . I won't hold my breath that they'll actually fix it though.

I've watched the trailer from the PS store and I'm excited. The only thing is, I find it hard enough to find games with Meme and rarely do I ever get to see matches where people play as Meryl or Akiba. This will be just like that. I REALLY hope you can set Raiden or Vamp to AI and face him one on one. I don't want to rely on strangers or friends who don't play the game anymore.

Edit: Or settle for fighting the dummies in training mode like I already do... =[

Oni Jazar

I was just playing Flower and the trophies there got me thinking... Kojima is such a master of mindfuck He could really made some kickass trophies for MGS4.

So with Raiden about to be fully playable in MGO (alongside Meryl, Johnny, Ocelot, Mei Ling and Vamp), its something of a mystery why we havent seen a DLC campaign or side-story with the missing Raiden Chapters (rescuing Sunny and a certain body) set before MGS4.

Wouldve been an easy task to just take MGS4/MGO map assets and craft a chapter or 2 from them. Perhaps the only stickler would be the hyper detailed cutscenes Kojima probably wouldnt allow his series to be without. Seems like free money to me, without having to take 3-4 years developing another Metal Gear from the ground up.

Miburou

Konami/Game ID being the #1 complaint makes me sad. I'd like Konami to do something about leavers, instead. It's especially frustrating in survival, when when of your team mates leaves so that his rank won't be affected. I also hate how your kills disappear if the host ends the game (but not when you get disconnected). Also, I'd like to be able to have auto setting for weapons based on what mode, like what you can have for gear and skills, so that I can cycle through rifle, gun and grenade in TDM, but mk2, knife and stun grenade for TSNE without having to go into the options each time.

-Winnie-

SecretBonusPoint said:
So with Raiden about to be fully playable in MGO (alongside Meryl, Johnny, Ocelot, Mei Ling and Vamp), its something of a mystery why we havent seen a DLC campaign or side-story with the missing Raiden Chapters (rescuing Sunny and a certain body) set before MGS4.

Wouldve been an easy task to just take MGS4/MGO map assets and craft a chapter or 2 from them. Perhaps the only stickler would be the hyper detailed cutscenes Kojima probably wouldnt allow his series to be without. Seems like free money to me, without having to take 3-4 years developing another Metal Gear from the ground up.

They're saving it for MGS4 Sub-whatever. ;)

Miburou

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Are the servers still region-locked? That should be pretty easy to fix and a good way to increase the number of players available at any one time.

They are, and seeing all the "No spanish people" and "No EU. Password is (Australian) PM's last name" comments on games due to fear of laggers makes me think it won't go away. Which really makes the fact that the survival servers for Europe are based in the US the more puzzling.

Regarding more updates/expansion, I'm sure Konami will have something ready for MGO's first anniversary (SENSE expansion pack).

anyone knows if the mgs4 limited edition (US) that comes with the making-of bluray...is that bluray region free?
or do i have to buy the mgs4 limited edition EU?
i've searched on the nets but i didn't find conclusive evidence that it was region-locked or not.
so i thought i should ask the knowledgeable ppl at gaf.

mm04

I bought the game as part of the whole Toys R Us buy 2 get 1 free deal last year and finally got around to playing and then finishing it. I basically played it in 2 spurts separated by a month or so, but I was happy to reach the ending.

Let me preface by saying I have never played a Metal Gear game before. I simply do not have the time to play through the older games even though I have the option (60gig PS3), but I wanted to be able to at least experience some of the franchise. I made sure that I watched all of the GameTrailers.com Metal Gear Retrospectives to at least give me some idea of what the heck was going on before I played it.

All in all, I had a really good time with it. Sure I didn't get all of the nuances or have the reactions to plotlines that a true MGS fan would, but I could at least appreciate it for what it was. I sat through every single cut scene and did not skip anything and I thought it was rather well done.

I know there are people on this forum who suggested not playing MGS4 unless you played through previous iterations, but I can't say I agree with that thought process. On gameplay alone, the game shines. My only gripe (and maybe I just missed it?) is I wish there was a CQC tutorial, like the shooting tutorial. I ended up going to youtube to look one up rather than try and decipher what the manual was saying. Unfortunately, I didn't do that until somewhere in Act 2, so I didn't use it at all until then.

I know listening to 1UP Yours and other podcasts that some of them only really enjoyed the first 3 Acts of the 5, but personally, I didn't find anything bad about 4 or 5. I actually disliked the beginning of Act 3 the most.

Anyway, great game and I thought I'd share my opinion for those of you who own a PS3 and have never played a Metal Gear game. Watch the retrospectives, buy the game and play it. You'll probably have a good time with it. Don't let not playing the previous games stop you from playing this one.

gantz85

Banned
mm04 said:
I bought the game as part of the whole Toys R Us buy 2 get 1 free deal last year and finally got around to playing and then finishing it. I basically played it in 2 spurts separated by a month or so, but I was happy to reach the ending.

Let me preface by saying I have never played a Metal Gear game before. I simply do not have the time to play through the older games even though I have the option (60gig PS3), but I wanted to be able to at least experience some of the franchise. I made sure that I watched all of the GameTrailers.com Metal Gear Retrospectives to at least give me some idea of what the heck was going on before I played it.

All in all, I had a really good time with it. Sure I didn't get all of the nuances or have the reactions to plotlines that a true MGS fan would, but I could at least appreciate it for what it was. I sat through every single cut scene and did not skip anything and I thought it was rather well done.

What made you want to buy MGS4 in the first place, and so late after release, if you weren't a fan of the series? Very curious.

mm04

gantz85 said:
What made you want to buy MGS4 in the first place, and so late after release, if you weren't a fan of the series? Very curious.

I had always meant to buy it on release, but I had a HUGE backlog to deal with so I held off. To give you an idea, I haven't even started GTA4 yet and I pre-ordered that thing 6 months before release. I haven't bought KZ2 either because I want to finish 2 other games first. I bought MGS4 because it seemed like it was the preeminent PS3 experience at the time (Uncharted was the best for me prior), and I didn't want to miss out on it.

Darkpen

Banned
I'm having a playlist go through some fairly laid back songs, and the Love Theme started to play, which makes me wonder: Why is it called the "Love Theme?" I mean, its a pretty somber song.

kazuma_pt said:
anyone knows if the mgs4 limited edition (US) that comes with the making-of bluray...is that bluray region free?
or do i have to buy the mgs4 limited edition EU?
i've searched on the nets but i didn't find conclusive evidence that it was region-locked or not.
so i thought i should ask the knowledgeable ppl at gaf.

It's region free. :) I have one myself.

Well, looks like nearly a year later, the podcast "The Kojima Productions Report" is back in action. Session #088 is up on iTunes. This is not the in-game podcast.

Since Ryan is no longer around in his seat is Sean Eyestone, Script Writer.

Blablurn

Tokyo Rain said:
Well, looks like nearly a year later, the podcast "The Kojima Productions Report" is back in action. Session #088 is up on iTunes. This is not the in-game podcast.

Since Ryan is no longer around in his seat is Sean Eyestone, Script Writer.

liked the episode! and the "new ryan" (sorry, forgot his name) sounds pretty good. looking forward to the upcoming shows.

Wow it's so awesome how I can't buy the SCENE expansion. It just... won't let me. I use the same information that I used to buy the previous two. Oh well.

jett

D-Member
So I'm bumping this cause I picked up my The Boss Extreme run, I left it at the 3rd act. Man, lately it's KZ2 this, Uncharted 2 that...but man that bike scene is still insane looking nearly one year after the fact. I had forgotten how good this game looked.

jett said:
So I'm bumping this cause I picked up my The Boss Extreme run, I left it at the 3rd act. Man, lately it's KZ2 this, Uncharted 2 that...but man that bike scene is still insane looking nearly one year after the fact. I had forgotten how good this game looked.

I need to play this again. I did a normal mode no alerts/no killing run but I haven't picked it up since. I want to try the higher difficulties, probably once just to get used to the feel and again for no kills/no alerts.

Visually it is stunning. Very clean looking game. (KZ2 has a more "processed" look. Which I really really like but MGS4 still hold up excellently.)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
that was awesome, could have used kojima doing more things though, and or cliffy going into cover holding a gold lancer or something.

MNC

Kojimaaaaaaaaaa :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mega64 is awesome, I remember when they had Miyamoto coming out OF THE EXACT SAME BUILDING :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom