• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I started the game last night and "rage" quit after story mission 2 cause I kept getting spotted and killed and having to restart and then the game basically tells me to kill guys even though I don't want to but I do and get C rank then die immediately in the third mission hooray! Crappy controls, tiny areas with long loading, dumb comic cutscenes (I can't be the only one that feels this style is cheap), no selectable difficulty is a big wtf, no checkpoints apparently, and ummmmmm the games super hard apparently. Time to d/l a perfect game save an run through as much of the story as possible w/stealth camo! :D

Chopperman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGnaS6uveq8&feature=sub

This showed up in my subscriptions today

Interesting
Gear Rex
run :lol

Edit: Post game boss spoilers I guess
This is great! It really shows what you miss by not doing co-op missions...

...makes me want to start into the game again, but with 140+ hours on it already and a growning backlog, I've got to resist the temptation for a while... Peace Walker still has my vote as GotY, though... :D

Lindsay said:
I started the game last night and "rage" quit after story mission 2 cause I kept getting spotted and killed and having to restart and then the game basically tells me to kill guys even though I don't want to but I do and get C rank then die immediately in the third mission hooray! Crappy controls, tiny areas with long loading, dumb comic cutscenes (I can't be the only one that feels this style is cheap), no selectable difficulty is a big wtf, no checkpoints apparently, and ummmmmm the games super hard apparently. Time to d/l a perfect game save an run through as much of the story as possible w/stealth camo!
geeze... are you sure you want to play a stealth action game? have you played any other Metal Gear Solid games? 'cause your arguements against Peace Walker could pretty much be applied to all of them... honestly, this one's about as good as it gets... :lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
geeze... are you sure you want to play a stealth action game? have you played any other Metal Gear Solid games? 'cause your arguements against Peace Walker could pretty much be applied to all of them... honestly, this one's about as good as it gets... :lol

Of course I wanna play this one or else I never woulda bought it an ya I played through MGS/2/3/4 some even mulitple times! They had selectable difficulty levels whereas this supposed MGS5 does not! They also didn't have terrible load times (even with the install!) which makes the lack of checkpoints even worse. When you die you should respawn or whatever in whichever area you were last in ~_~; The controls bad cause there is no second stick for the camera this game shoulda been topdown like the first 3 MGS games were! This is sorta the same kind of fit I had with RE4 at first and then almost 4 years later got over it but that game was vastly different from its predecessors then this is to previous MGS games. I don't expect to stomp right through the game but getting killed repeatedly at the very beginning...?? That's just wrong. I'll just have ta dealwithit.gif and be do some Cheat Walkin'!

Fuck this game's boss battles. Fuck MGS. Just like 4, I enjoy it and then shitty game design ruins it. I hate co op and now just like it ruined RE, it has ruined MGS.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Peace Walker has pretty much the worst single player boss battles in the franchise. They're intolerable.

It's not even funny how god awful the boss battles are. They take forever to kill, have allies that add to the annoyance, and then show had unfriendly the controls are. I was really liking the game and I'm not even that far in, but if the rest of the game is like this why continue. I really love MGS, but quite frankly after this and 4 I just don't know if I can even care anymore.

thetrin said:
Peace Walker has pretty much the worst single player boss battles in the franchise. They're intolerable.

Oh they are not that bad, just a little repetitious. All you need to do is pick 2 rocketlaunchers and an MG, find a safe spot and keep firing at the AI pod. Only the PW battles are a pain :E

Noisepurge said:
Oh they are not that bad, just a little repetitious. All you need to do is pick 2 rocketlaunchers and an MG, find a safe spot and keep firing at the AI pod. Only the PW battles are a pain :E
Really? You know the Puma battle was easy. I did that and no complaints. So it took a bit to put down, whatever.

Now laugh if you want, but I'm only on the hind D. Ok so go for the soldiers seems to be the best strategy here. Well af first I tried to take them down with cqc in order to add them to my team. Well I stopped doing that as that only left me open. So now I just gunned them down. Not I'm staying where I spawned waiting for more soldiers. Well for some reason the Hind D stops sending me soldiers. Awesome! Maybe I'm almost done. Helo goes out of alert status for some reason. Finds me shoots at me. I shoot at it, am losing resources and after maybe an hour it kills me.

MGS normally has fun boss battles, regardless of difficulty and I've never found them annoying. So far PW has had the most annoying boss battles in any game I've played recently.

SlickVic

I haven't beaten the game (on Ch 5 right now) but I'd say the boss battles become easier as you go through the game. I went from dying over and over on the Chapter 1 bosses (and the first Chapter 2 boss) to beating most boss battles after that in 1-2 tries (including the infamous Ch. 4 end boss). Part of it is getting used to the controls (first time I ever played a game that used face buttons for aiming) and also simply doing some recruiting for your teams to get better equipment (Supply marker and leveling up rations were pretty big for me). I feel most of my weapons were modestly leveled up as well so battles never felt like they got too long.

Boss battles certainly aren't my favorite part of the game though. Stealth missions are where MGS is at it's best and fortunately between Main Ops and Extra Ops, there are still a lot of that as well.

Zen

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Fuck this game's boss battles. Fuck MGS. Just like 4, I enjoy it and then shitty game design ruins it. I hate co op and now just like it ruined RE, it has ruined MGS.

The boss battles are ridiculously easy... There isn't a single one that you should need to have a friend along with.

Zen said:
The boss battles are ridiculously easy... There isn't a single one that you should need to have a friend along with.
I really doubt that's a universally held thought. Every review states otherwise. And no they are not ridiculously easy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rahxephon91 said:
I really doubt that's a universally held thought. Every review states otherwise. And no they are not ridiculously easy.
I had no problem with any of the bosses in the story mode. It does get ridiculous in the post-game though, in which case you defiantly need other players with you.

Rahxephon91 said:
Really? You know the Puma battle was easy. I did that and no complaints. So it took a bit to put down, whatever.

Now laugh if you want, but I'm only on the hind D. Ok so go for the soldiers seems to be the best strategy here. Well af first I tried to take them down with cqc in order to add them to my team. Well I stopped doing that as that only left me open. So now I just gunned them down. Not I'm staying where I spawned waiting for more soldiers. Well for some reason the Hind D stops sending me soldiers. Awesome! Maybe I'm almost done. Helo goes out of alert status for some reason. Finds me shoots at me. I shoot at it, am losing resources and after maybe an hour it kills me.

MGS normally has fun boss battles, regardless of difficulty and I've never found them annoying. So far PW has had the most annoying boss battles in any game I've played recently.

In PW there are 2 ways to deal with a boss (1 for the AI versions)

1. The Stealth way where you take out all the backup and not let them or the boss see you. If done correctly the commander will show up once all the backup is gone and you can either kill him or knock him out for your base. This method can be a pain.

2. The gung ho way where you just get its attention (done by alerting the backup and/or boss). In this one you have to damage the boss until only one quadrant of life is left and the commander comes out (kill/knock out). This method is annoying since you have to rely on your weapons and they are just not powerful as yet imo.

As said before the AIs uses the second one (barring the commander thing).

The great way for that Hind boss is the first one but you have to add a smoke grenade as an attempt to conceal yourself. If you take them out and the Hind hasn't noticed then it will drop off more soldiers at the same spot. Rinse and repeat.

SlickVic

Rahxephon91 said:
I really doubt that's a universally held thought. Every review states otherwise.

I am pretty sucky at games and I'm almost at the end of Main Ops. It really isn't that complicated. A lot of the maps for boss battles have safe zones to avoid the bulk of their attacks. Bringing healing items and leveling up your rations at the first opportunity is always a good idea, as is having a rocket launcher or two in your arsenal. Oh, and supply markers are your friend. Seriously, don't be afraid to spam those if you're running low on health and rations. You'll earn less heroism but there's other ways to earn that.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
I get the feeling that those reviewers tried to blow through the Main Ops without ever attempting (or doing very little) of the Extra Ops as they were being unlocked. The more you recruit, the more you research, and the more items you acquire, the easier the game gets. The difficulty is curved around the assumption that you don't attempt to blast through Main Ops.

Lafiel said:
I had no problem with any of the bosses in the story mode. It does get ridiculous in the post-game though, in which case you defiantly need other players with you.
I wouldn't call it easy, but there isn't a single mission you need other players for as long as you bring the right gear.

the boss battles are cool and gloriously animated , but the vehicles suffer from repetition. by the end of the game you've fought the same battle 40 times.

you can finish every mission alone, i know i did.

For the guys who are having trouble with Boss Battles - don't ignore base management & extra/other ops! Theres no way you can beat the game easily without grinding it out by doing those other things.

Holtz

Augemitbutter said:
the boss battles are cool and gloriously animated , but the vehicles suffer from repetition. by the end of the game you've fought the same battle 40 times.

So did i, you only need the best equipment and weapons that you can get by grinding extra missions and outer ops .

Augemitbutter said:

This.

If you can't take out the boss solo, you might want to rethink your strategy, 'cause you're clearly doing it wrong... :lol

-Winnie-

Augemitbutter said:

Yeah, it definitely gets boring doing it solo since you pretty much need to rely on stealth so you never even get to see the different attacks some of the vehicles can use.
A real shame this game didn't have online support considering it's so heavily built around coop.

Zen

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:

Probably because reviewers were blowing through the game to meet a deadline and ignored the minimal amount of R&D you need to do to get the equipment needed for each boss. Sure if you go in without the correct equipment it's hard, but it's insanely easy to understand what you're going to need (even in the event that you go into the fight the first time without the right equipment). The ONLY hard boss battles in the game are post game content which turn into a grind fest.

The sub bosses can be tedious though, if you want to capture the pilot and all that.

infinityBCRT said:
For the guys who are having trouble with Boss Battles - don't ignore base management & extra/other ops! Theres no way you can beat the game easily without grinding it out by doing those other things.

Yeah base management is a core of the game and you shouldn't be ignoring it, or Fulton capturing soldiers as you play the missions. Although you don't even need to grind missions per say, you can easily fill your ranks by doing wireless search. I did that while I was on public transit one day and got tons of good guys for my base.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
infinityBCRT said:
Zen said:
Yeah base management is a core of the game and you shouldn't be ignoring it, or Fulton capturing soldiers as you play the missions. Although you don't even need to grind missions per say, you can easily fill your ranks by doing wireless search. I did that while I was on public transit one day and got tons of good guys for my base.

Sooo glad I went and downloaded a super perfect save file instead of trying to endure filler crap like that. I just finished the first PW battle which was a pain but the worst one was the Chrysalis. High speed flying enemies vs crappy camera = fail. Thank goodness for the bandana and battle armor.

Stealth camo has been helpful as always but this game still manages to make it suck by having it battery powered and that ya can be knocked out of it. Despite its imperfectness I've been able to roll through a good chunk of the games not so good story. Its been pretty bland so far but MGS games save the twists and turns for near the end so I'm not giving up on it yet. I have given up on the cast however. Snake is a complete dummy even more then he was in MGS3 and everyone else is just blah.

Well I'm almost about to break my PSP. Thanks Kojima! I'm at the torture part and I can not mash on the damn button fast enough. I've never been good at button mashing, especially on Playstation controllers. Meryl always died until TTS for me. I fucking hate this crap. Why must they put this in games? I honestly doubt I will be completing this damn game.

Also, the Ai bosses in this game are surprisingly easy.

entremet

End boss rant:
Wow. Friggin Peace Walker is made of lead. 50 missles?! Annoying supply marker mechanic. A 30 minute boss fight? C'mon, Kojima. I loving everything else, but this is torture.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
entrement said:
End boss rant:
Wow. Friggin Peace Walker is made of lead. 50 missles?! Annoying supply marker mechanic. A 30 minute boss fight? C'mon, Kojima. I loving everything else, but this is torture.

Blame Monster Hunter being popular in Japan for that. :|

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just started playing this even though I picked up in July (thanks, KMart!). Very cool so far, although even MGS4 didn't quite delight me with the SOCOMization of the control scheme, and a few things seem needlessly dumbed down here (no crawling while prone... huh?).

Anyway I loved Portable Ops so the whole aspect of essentially kidnapping people is still awesome, along with using the recruits on the side missions that involve more kidnapping and document retrieval. What I'm wondering is if I'm screwing myself by just using the Mk22 all the time? I usually try to play pure stealth, and even in the tank battles knocking guys out until the commander/driver pops his head out seems to work. Are there other weapons that should be improved for later in the game?

Looking forward to how crazy the story gets. The dialog in those early cutscenes was something else. :lol

SlickVic

entrement said:
End boss rant:

That battle was definitely a marathon but I didn't mind since it wasn't all that difficult. A couple Rank 3 missile launchers, supply marker, rations, and you're more or less set. Also noticed you said end boss, just remember you still got Chapter 5 left after that battle.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:
Pretty much. :lol

Just wait for the endgame content. It's more of the same.

That was probably the biggest disappointment in the game. There are so many cool ops in the post game, but you have to play through soooooo many vehicle battles and BOSS FIGHT 2's to get to them.

I didn't have any problem with any boss during the main game though. I actually thought there were kind of neat and well designed.(Hind fight knows you don't have enough fultons at this point to capture all 20 soldiers, so it has two fulton pickups on the map to make sure you do)

I'll concede they're pretty slow going, but I still find it immensely rewarding to take down all 20 guards without being seen, then pull off a headshot on the captain with the mosin.

Lindsay said:
Sooo glad I went and downloaded a super perfect save file instead of trying to endure filler crap like that. I just finished the first PW battle which was a pain but the worst one was the Chrysalis. High speed flying enemies vs crappy camera = fail. Thank goodness for the bandana and battle armor.

Stealth camo has been helpful as always but this game still manages to make it suck by having it battery powered and that ya can be knocked out of it. Despite its imperfectness I've been able to roll through a good chunk of the games not so good story. Its been pretty bland so far but MGS games save the twists and turns for near the end so I'm not giving up on it yet. I have given up on the cast however. Snake is a complete dummy even more then he was in MGS3 and everyone else is just blah.

Wait what.

You're playing with stealth camo on your first run? Really?!

With Sonic eye, fulton, hold-up and extremely easy patrol patterns, I thought this was the easiest metal gear game to date.(even though they're all pretty easy)

Ellis Kim

Banned
So I was watching some Family Guy on Hulu, and noticed how oddly similar one of the character's monologue's sounded a whole lot like The Boss's from MGS3.

Apparently, Lori Alan plays the female news anchor on the show.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/178228/family-guy-and-then-there-were-fewer

Jump to the 41:20 mark to start. I just thought I'd share, since Lori Alan's monologue voice is so conspicuous to MGS fans. I must warn you, though: if you enjoy the show, just watch the whole thing, since the point where she starts doing a monologue is a spoiler for the ep's plot.

Jigsaw

Banned
i guess that's the closest thing we get in terms of western sales

2132431541yi50.jpg

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/04/konami_earnings/

1.47 million, ~800k for japan,~670k for usa/europe

onken

I've logged over a hundred hours now and S ranked every mission, all teams at lv99. It's been a couple of months since I last played it so can look at it a bit more dispassionately. Now before you all jump on me, I'm a massive, massive MGS fan so I won't go into detail about how much I loathed the decision to put this game on a handheld, but just be aware I am a huge fan of the series.

Basically, pretty disappointing all round.

I won't go into the story too much because of spoilers and all, but I really wasn't impressed by it. It didn't really do anything for me and not even in the same league as the console games imo.

Generally, the normal missions were easy. Soldiers were very uninquisitive compared to the usual games and don't spot you till you're very close (except the snipers, they were fun). Also no difficulty settings unlike all the other games, instead it has the rank system where to get an S rank you have to rush through as fast as possible. I like to do things slowly and thoroughly, so I don't really subscribe to the idea of rewarding rushing through like a lunatic. Also you sometimes have to beat QTE sequences flawlessly first-time in order to get an S rank, when these come at the end of long levels and are particularly tricky (eg: the Boss fight reenactment) then that's pretty annoying.

Boss difficulty was generally fine, scaled quite well and it was satisfying whupping the harder bosses later on with the maxed out weapons. What was annoying was how all the ex-ops bosses were so similar to each other. So you just beat that APC, now do exactly the same thing again except this time it has a slightly different turret (which makes no difference anyway because you're doing it stealthily to get the S rank). And some of those missions were so long and tedious, capturing 38 soldiers from some of those APCs just took fucking forever, and one slip up and you have to start all over again.

What makes it tougher is that you're always battling the shitty controls. Don't get me wrong, it controls well for a PSP game, and is a hundred times better than Portable Ops, but it's still pretty awful compared to anything else. I played it through my laptop with a Dualshock controller and it's like a different game, glorious (though a bit laggy so not perfect either way).

The micro-management was pretty fun, basically the same system as Portable Ops with the GMP/R&D system added. Capturing system is almost a bit too easy but after all those hours I put into PO and its shitty "drag to the truck" system, I think I deserved it.

Huge range of weapons MGS4-style, but unlike MGS4 where you can whip them out whenever you want, you have to specifically choose them before the mission. As a result, I hardly ended up using any of them.

There is a apparently a whole bunch of stuff you can do in co-op, but since I know precisely one other person who owns a PSP, and they hate MGS, I was fucked. No, I can't use ad-hoc party before you start. Urgh I dunno, if you're going to have a large chunk of your game co-op only, maybe you should include an infrastructure mode or something? I'm guessing there's a fair sized group of people like me who would have liked to try the co-op but are simply unable to, so thanks for that Konami.

Eh, maybe I'm being a bit too hard on it but I really have few positive memories of this game. Yes, it's better than Portable Ops in every way, but that's not really saying a lot.

Spiegel

So you found the game pretty disappointing and have few positive memories of it but still logged over a hundred of hours and S ranked every mission.

That makes sense.

onken

Spiegel said:
So you found the game pretty disappointing and have few positive memories of it but still logged over a hundred of hours and S ranked every mission.

That makes sense.

I think you missed the part where I said I was a huge MGS fan. Not beating it completely was simply not an option :lol

Philanthropist said:
Would this include PSN sales?

Oo, good question. On the one hand it makes sense because presumably Konami get the data/proceeds of PSN sales from Sony. On the other hand, they might just be talking about physical shipped products. We'll probably never know.

JEKKI

hello~!!!

can sum1 please help me how to figure out how to unlock the monster hunter levels?!?!

I read that u hafta read all of Rico's files or something, but I have spent like 20 minutes going thru all the menus and options and cannot figure out how to read whatever I am supposed to ;_;

can someone tell me where to go?? Thanks!!

oh yah btw I beat this game!! The real ending was great!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad this got bumped...

I never really got the free time to beat this (amazing) game and I don't think I will ever do it. I was wondering if there's someone on Youtube (or whatever) that's uploaded all of the cutscenes so that I could watch it?

JEKKI said:
hello~!!!

can sum1 please help me how to figure out how to unlock the monster hunter levels?!?!

I read that u hafta read all of Rico's files or something, but I have spent like 20 minutes going thru all the menus and options and cannot figure out how to read whatever I am supposed to ;_;

not 100% sure anymore, but i think they've meant you should listen to all of his tapes. did you even listen to one?

TheSeks

You have to listen to Rico's tapes. ALL OF THEM. They're in the Mission Briefing section.

Urgh I dunno, if you're going to have a large chunk of your game co-op only, maybe you should include an infrastructure mode or something? I'm guessing there's a fair sized group of people like me who would have liked to try the co-op but are simply unable to, so thanks for that Konami.

That was Kojima's decision and not Konami's. Blame him for it. He wanted a local experience and focused more on Japan than the world at large for the co-op experience.

The history on his twitter around MGS5's development will tell you of this. He knew America/EU was more spread out and had concerns (hence, lowering the difficulty of the game in singleplayer to cater to us) but he focused on Japan/Monster Hunter-get-together people in Japan for the co-op.

Does it suck? Yeah. But if you can't Xlink Kai, Ad-hoc Party, tunnel around the issue, I dunno what to tell you. PSP doesn't have many infrastructure games and they're generally hacked to hell and back to where they're not a good investment in the long-run anyway.

JEKKI said:
hello~!!!

IIRC you can listen to them by picking a mission and going on mission briefing but you have press the shoulder buttons(?) to get to the other people (if the mission does not need their advice.)

Read/listen to all of chico's stuff, then go to Extra Op 29 and head for the beach.

You should see Trenya (some cat on a boat) there , talk to him, ???, profit, etc.

JEKKI

Augemitbutter said:
not 100% sure anymore, but i think they've meant you should listen to all of his tapes. did you even listen to one?
TheSeks said:
You have to listen to Rico's tapes. ALL OF THEM. They're in the Mission Briefing section.
I still dont get it... so do I need to use the walkman to listen to tapes??

and I have to replay each mission to use the walkman in every mission??

that sounds like a pain o_O

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Urgh I dunno, if you're going to have a large chunk of your game co-op only, maybe you should include an infrastructure mode or something? I'm guessing there's a fair sized group of people like me who would have liked to try the co-op but are simply unable to, so thanks for that Konami.

That's just it. NONE of the game was co-op only. and outside of the boss battles none of it was really designed for co-op.

Which was my problem with it. Co-op would be cool in a game like this, but it's not too much fun playing with another person on levels I'm able to S rank by myself effortlessly. Without a reliance on another player as the means of progression, co-op is meaningless.

I will admit I had alot of fun S ranking those pure stealth missions with a buddy, but the rest of the game if there was any fun to be had it came from interacting with that other person. Not from the game.

If they ever did a followup I'd like to see a set of levels designed to be played co-op and only co-op. I think Co-op sneaking in metal gear has the potential to be tons of fun. but peace walker didn't really explore what was possible with something like that. It just gave you the option to play single player missions with another person and checked off a bulletpoint.

TheSeks

JEKKI said:
I still dont get it... so do I need to use the walkman to listen to tapes??

and I have to replay each mission to use the walkman in every mission??

*sigh* I figured it was obvious.

Mission menu->Pick ANY mission, doesn't flipping matter. You need to be in chapter 5 to be on the safe side, but can be done earlier.

Menu for changing equipment and shit->Mission Briefing.

????

LISTS!

LISTEN TO CHICO'S SECTION!

???

Done? Move RIGHT, and check and make sure the "Chico" section of the extra stuff is also done.

????

DO MISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PROFIT!

(And really, the briefing files aren't bad to listen to. They're nice filler.)

Top Bottom