• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater - Side-By-Side Graphics Comparison - IGN

XXL

How does the new Metal Gear Solid Delta trailer compare to the original Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater gameplay? Get a look at the TGS 2024 trailer for Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater vs MGS3 Snake Eater gameplay comparison. Metal Gear Solid Delta is the upcoming MGS3 remake, coming to PS5 (PlayStation 5), Xbox Series X/S, and PC. During the Xbox TGS 2024 livestream, we got a more in-depth glimpse at the likes of Naked Snake, Revolver Ocelot, Colonel Volgin, The Boss, and others. So, we've put this latest Snake Eater remake vs. original side-by-side in this MGS Delta trailer graphics comparison

R6Rider

Gold Member
metal gear solid 5 pain GIF

Another case like Demon's Souls where the developers didn't understand the original art direction.

However, I'm more ambivalent on MGS3. Because the gameplay in the original is so annoying, man. It had many amazing ideas, but was way too clunky to play. I don't even care if the new gameplay is gonna break the level design like Twin Snakes, I'll most likely prefer it to the old game.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

I prefer the PS2-origins flame rendering with lots of (overdraw!) overlapping, individually animated transparencies. Especially with the torch in the caves where the flames drag behind Snake.

The new technique has more texture nuance but lacks the depth and volume.

Kotaro

wow they still have booth babes in TGS

maybe that's why TGS is still alive and Asian industry is prospering, while E3 is dead and Western industry in the toilet, Japan knows gaming is about fun, they keep it fun and lighthearted, while West take themselves so seriously, so pretentious, so morally superior, so smug with their woke/DEI socio-politic messages

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I guess it a tiny bit better looking. 🤷‍♂️

Though it does mess with some of artistic choices of the original.

Unknown?

wow they still have booth babes in TGS

maybe that's why TGS is still alive and Asian industry is prospering, while E3 is dead and Western industry in the toilet, Japan knows gaming is about fun, they keep it fun and lighthearted, while West take themselves so seriously, so pretentious, so morally superior, so smug with their socio-politic messages
Whoa, now! Don't be a bigot! XD /s

Another case like Demon's Souls where the developers didn't understand the original art direction.
Don't understand or don't have the ability?! Because Yoji Shinkawa is miles away from Konami/Virtuos artists.

I'm getting used to the faces, although i was a little in shock with the look of Ocelot and The Boss initially. She looks better in this trailer.

Last edited:

Pejo

Faces and hair aside, I think it looks really good. It really is jarring to see it without the piss filter though. Going to take me a bit to get used to actual colors. Still bummed with the changes to The Boss, but I'm sure I'll be over it by the time the game releases.

Katajx

Just got my son to finish 3 from the collection. I think I’m halfway through again, but I’m excited to see this version.

Didn’t realize how stylized some of the faces were then, and I think that’s something that can be hard to update.

Is it just me or does Snake’s face look different with the bandana than without in all of the renders?

Artistic choices aside, I will be happy to see some updated geometry and lighting compared to 2004.
Playing through some and watching my son I don’t miss games being designed that way.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m still not sold. Too many things just not seeming right. It looks like a knockoff of what a real MGS3 Remake would look like.

18.jpg

Last edited:
If you'd told me a few months ago that the Silent Hill 2 remake was going to look like the more competent of these two releases, I wouldn't have believed you, but here we are.

This is such a weird looking game.

Business

I wish they had gone for a Resident Evil style remake instead of just new graphics.

Also, if they had any brains they would start from MGS1 and milk this thing properly instead of randomly starting from 3 and calling it Delta.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I wish they had gone for a Resident Evil style remake instead of just new graphics.

Also, if they had any brains they would start from MGS1 and milk this thing properly instead of randomly starting from 3 and calling it Delta.

After Delta they need to remake Metal Gear 1 not Metal Gear Solid.

RaduN

Using the crap Hd remaster with all post processing effects missing, and calling it the "original", instead of capturing some pristine footage from the actual ps2 original.
IGN's 'quality' journalism = 🤮

Delta looks good overall, mainly because of the original's flawless direction. Snake's face is off in both appearence and experssions, very off.
Ocelot is ok-ish but looks older than he should. Her facials are also off. Volgin and The Boss are good. Eva's features had more of that X factor back then, now she's just a pretty face from a playboy magazine. She needs more unique features.

Top Bottom