• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Santar

Just checked the cutscene viewer on the ps2 version and that cutscene with fortune and the krills or whatever they're called isn't rewatchable.
Would be a real shame if the ps3 version gets the shaft yet again..

I'm so tired of these HD editions that in certain aspects are inferior to the originals.
If they can't even port over all the effects of the old games why even bother.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
rvy said:
2KTNZ.jpg

This renders the camera work useless. WTF.
This happened to me. No lice in that scene anywhar.

edit- ps3 ver

burgerdog

God, this is so annoying. One has said that he has seen the sea lice, another one that he has not. Sucks that sites like DF or LoT don't care about this game and are not doing a comparison. It would be awesome if there was a three way comparison between the ps2, ps3, and 360.

rvy

Banned
burgerdog said:
God, this is so annoying. One has said that he has seen the sea lice, another one that he has not. Sucks that sites like DF or LoT don't care about this game and are not doing a comparison. It would be awesome if there was a three way comparison between the ps2, ps3, and 360.

The conflicting reports are pretty weird. People need to state which versions they are playing.

burgerdog

rvy said:

The conflicting reports are pretty weird. People need to state which versions they are playing.

I'm tempted to run out and buy the 360 version to compare it to the ps3 version. Screw that, though. There's probably a high chance that it's even worse than the ps3 sku and then I'd just be out $50.

bud

Gouda Jouji said:
So from what I'm hearing, MGS2 HD is kind of boned? A bunch of effects missing and stuff?

http://i.imgur.com/DL1hv.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2KTNZ.jpg[img]

It seems they may have ported the Xbox/PC version of Substance which was pretty boned too.[/QUOTE]

what the fuck. i'm going to get this, eventually, because mgs3 sounds like it's going to be the absolute shit, but messing up the tanker chapter is inexcusable. dat rain. DAT RAIN. it was in mgs2. I SEEN'T IT. BUT IT GONE.

this is a "i hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on hara-kiri rock. i need scissors! 61!" level fuck up. seriously.

survivor

Banned
Just beat MGS2. Fantastic experience and a great game. It got extremely Codec heavy near the end but after playing MGS4 I don't really mind it that much.

Gameplay wise it was great. Outside of terrible controls, the gameplay was perfect. The story was alright too, but I really lost track of what the hell was happening near the end and which side are the characters on anymore. Time to move on to MGS3 now.

bud

did you know you can stand on your toes if press l2 and r2 at the same time? i don't remember if that's explained immediately or that you to call the same person a bunch of times to hear that.

did you call the colonel as you were receiving that golden shower?

also, towards the end, when you're
naked
and you receive a codec call, don't pick it up immediately or else you'll miss out on a random video of some busty (iirc...) japanese girl in a hammock. i remember seeing that for the first time when i was, like, 14, thinking "omg is she going to flash her boobs? o_O"

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
Can you take some pictures? You should totally take some pictures for me.
I would if my camera's SD card worked or if the game allowed screenshots!

rvy said:
PS3 US release.

I'm gonna break my PS3 disc if it turns out the 360 version isn't missing those MGS 2 effects! Someone with the 360 version, please let me know!. I can't belief my eyes, that screens... that screens...

jett

D-Member
Wow at those comparison pics, just wow. :| I'll take a framerate drop here and there but not fucking missing effects.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Probably cuz the only games worth porting are the good ones, and those just so happened to be coded to the metal to take advantage of the wackiness of the PS2 and such.

The rest are ubishit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kagari said:
I don't understand why last gen ports are missing effects on new gen consoles...
Usually they were done in a way that developers would never have to use on newer GPUs so support for that process was cut to save money.

EDIT: I like the way Y2Kev summed it up better.

Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look... WTF? European Extreme? Bwahaha, oh man I'm going to end up picking this up at some point, there's too much I missed out on in both games.

jett

D-Member
Cell is just too emotionally stunted to handle dat rain

Y2Kev said:
Probably cuz the only games worth porting are the good ones, and those just so happened to be coded to the metal to take advantage of the wackiness of the PS2 and such.

The rest are ubishit.

LOL funny thing is that the ubishit hd remakes run like ass

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jett said:
Cell is just too emotionally stunted to handle dat rain

LOL funny thing is that the ubishit hd remakes run like ass
I know. That's what I mean.

btw all you people that want lice need to get some shampoo

GANGSTERKILLER said:
I'm gonna break my PS3 disc if it turns out the 360 version isn't missing those MGS 2 effects! Someone with the 360 version, please let me know!. I can't belief my eyes, that screens... that screens...

Finished MGS2 and never missed a thing.

burgerdog

I won't be home for a week so I can't take shots of those scenes and confirm if the effects are gone or there's a bug that makes them show up/not show up.

Gaf-detectives go investigate. PS3 and 360 shots needed, stat.

B.K.

Mechazawa said:
So we have PS3 version players saying there is lice and there isn't lice in this very same thread.

QUE PASO MANG.

To see the lice, you have to have one of the earlier PS3 models that has the Emotion Engine!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
burgerdog said:
I won't be home for a week so I can't take shots of those scenes and confirm if the effects are gone or there's a bug that makes them show up/not show up.

Gaf-detectives go investigate. PS3 and 360 shots needed, stat.
Well I can probably take some off screen shots on Tuesday when I get my new SD card in. Should be good enough as proof.

jett

D-Member
Comparing my Document of MGS2 disc with this, it looks to me that we got the shaft when it comes to the particle effects.

btw holy crap this game still looks amazing on the ps2. dat rain is indeed dat rain.

FFFFUUUUUCK. WHAT?! They fucked up the RAIN?!?!

Great... Now that's just fucking great. They went right ahead and ruined the best intro scene in the history of fucking mankind. Great job, Bluepoint. Dickheads.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Plant Drinking Game. Take a shot or double shot everytime you beat a boss including Fortune, Vamp Sniper Battle, and both Tengu encounters. Just did it and it made dog tagging Easy Mode not as boring. You'll really get your buzz going once you get to Arsenal.

Now for the last three difficulties! Time for dat shaven Solid Snake and dat Stealth Camo.

Is it just me or is the sound mix for the cinematics missing the right surround channels? I seem to only have sound on my left surround; it is fine during gameplay.

SLEEPS7ALK3R said:
FFFFUUUUUCK. WHAT?! They fucked up the RAIN?!?!

Great... Now that's just fucking great. They went right ahead and ruined the best intro scene in the history of fucking mankind. Great job, Bluepoint. Dickheads.

Kojima was obviously happy enough with it, I think it's a bit harsh to put it all on Bluepoint. I'm guessing that some of the effects were just genuinely tough to recreate. It happens.

GANGSTERKILLER said:
Those models have no emotion anymore because they are all dead and gone... Including my 60 GB 599 US dollars model.
mine keeps trucking and i havent cleaned it in over a year, leave it on for days at a time and even dropped it and broke the plastic casing.

TheDrowningMan said:
Kojima was obviously happy enough with it, I think it's a bit harsh to put it all on Bluepoint. I'm guessing that some of the effects were just genuinely tough to recreate. It happens.

I wonder what else is Bluepoint working on? I mean, they had the entire game already made for them, they only needed to touch it up. Other teams bust their ass to bring amazing visual effects to life from nothing, but they couldn't be assed to put in the effort to recreate a PS2 particle effect in HD? Really? Really?

These aren't just games, they're gems. If you can't do justice to them then just don't do it. They lost my fucking purchase, man. I'm staying with my OG MGS2.

SLEEPS7ALK3R said:
I wonder what else is Bluepoint working on? I mean, they had the entire game already made for them, they only needed to touch it up. Other teams bust their ass to bring amazing visual effects to life from nothing, but they couldn't be assed to put in the effort to recreate a PS2 particle effect in HD? Really? Really?

These aren't just games, they're gems. If you can't do justice to them then just don't do it. They lost my fucking purchase, man. I'm staying with my OG MGS2.
are people really freaking out about downgraded rain? lol

ill take HD over better rain effects any day

Probably just yet another case of a near-shipping bug that broke something else. Outcry so Konami knows that it needs to be fixed, sure, but come on, it's not like they just slapped the PS2 ISO on a Blu-ray.

(Starts a quick big shell run to check...)

rvy

Banned
fuzzyreactor said:
are people really freaking out about downgraded rain? lol

ill take HD over better rain effects any day
People are freaking about a game released in 2001 being downgraded in 2011. Yeah. Fucking shock and awe.

Top Bottom