• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Sallokin

I think Peace Walker is super awesome so far. Worth the price of admission on it's own IMO.

After all these issues w/ the other games I'm curious what's going to happen with the ZOE ports. ZOE 2 is absolutely one of my favorite games of all time. I really want it to get a perfect release.

Y2Kev said:
I think y'all are so far off the farm at this point. The collection is worth it ALONE for 60 FPS MGS3. Add in PW with playable controls and you have something so so worth it.
I'll say that the opening scene for MGS2 looked super off to me and kinda bad, but other than that I think everything is fantastic and its well worth the price just for ONE of the games let alone 3. Lets hope they patch the small bugs (missing rain, missing lice, GORGE) but I don't think any of them is a massive dealbreaker. I actually think the worst thing about the collection is the delay for Codec conversation startup. It makes them that much more annoying. They probably have more than enough memory to cache the first few lines of dialog for any of the codec conversations that could happen in a level.

Knowing now how available the 360 edition is, this seems somewhat ridiculous, but yesterday I risked death securing the local Gamestop's last copy of HD: LE. Heading home in the rain, I was smoked by an eighty-one year-old lady who soared through a stop sign, ruining my bike and launching me into a pinwheel. After a battery of examinations and a CT scan, I spent the night in the hospital; turns out I'm mostly fine, but I'll be in that neck brace for awhille. Seeing as I'll be mostly supine for next few days, at least I'll have something to do.

The box made it through in better shape than I, save for a messy corner.

UydUF.jpg

MeELa.jpg

And yes, that is my paper urine receptacle.

DraculaDillenger said:
Knowing now how available the 360 edition is, this seems somewhat ridiculous, but yesterday I risked death securing the local Gamestop's last copy of HD: LE. Heading home in the rain, I was smoked by an eighty-one year-old lady who soared through a stop sign, ruining my bike and launching me into a pinwheel.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Pinwheel like Raiden!

Get well soon bro D:

TUROK

DraculaDillenger said:
Knowing now how available the 360 edition is, this seems somewhat ridiculous, but yesterday I risked death securing the local Gamestop's last copy of HD: LE. Heading home in the rain, I was smoked by an eighty-one year-old lady who soared through a stop sign, ruining my bike and launching me into a pinwheel. After a battery of examinations and a CT scan, I spent the night in the hospital; turns out I'm mostly fine, but I'll be in that neck brace for awhille. Seeing as I'll be mostly supine for next few days, at least I'll have something to do.

Damn, now that's a BulletBall!

So what happened when you got hit? Did the old lady call for help?

benzy

DraculaDillenger said:

That lady is paying for your medical bill right? Glad you're okay man.

matmanx1

Vita PW HD is the one I really want. That game was made to play on the go. If I can get that piecemeal on the PSN or on a cart around the time the Vita launches I will be pretty happy about the whole thing. Oh and of course maybe they will correct some of the little issues by then. Or not. None of them are a deal breaker for me.

hey fellow "i ordered mgs but got modern warfare 3" it was already mentioned here, but it's advisable that you sell yours on amazon, take advantage of gamestop's incompetence. i sold mine for $155 (net $133 after amazon's cut) and it sold in about 3 hours.

The old lady was less than helpful--she cussed me out and demanded I "get up and stop making a scene". Thankfully, a tow-truck driver provided his coat to shield me from the rain and a call to the police. She was charged and I'm hoping her insurance covers my costs and a new bike.

Thanks for all the kind words, dudes. Nerds of a feather and all that.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
MGS2...having trouble getting dogtags. I know how to hold up a guard from behind. But how do you quickly move to the front and stick him up again without unequipping your gun, then re-equipping then holding him up from the front? I cant do it smoothly without him then attacking me!!!

SamuraiX-

DraculaDillenger said:
The old lady was less than helpful--she cussed me out and demanded I "get up and stop making a scene". Thankfully, a tow-truck driver provided his coat to shield me from the rain and a call to the police. She was charged and I'm hoping her insurance covers my costs and a new bike.

Thanks for all the kind words, dudes. Nerds of a feather and all that.

For the love of fuck. I hate people.

Glad you're okay, bro.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
MGS2...having trouble getting dogtags. I know how to hold up a guard from behind. But how do you quickly move to the front and stick him up again without unequipping your gun, then re-equipping then holding him up from the front? I cant do it smoothly without him then attacking me!!!

It's pretty much impossible to do in MGS2. Only in MGS3 can you move in a circular path around guards, if I remember correctly.

Just hold him up from behind and try to run in front of him without bumping into him and you should be good.

SamuraiX- said:
For the love of fuck. I hate people.

Glad you're okay, bro.

It's pretty much impossible to do in MGS2. Only in MGS3 can you move in a circular path around guards, if I remember correctly.

Just hold him up from behind and try to run in front of him without bumping into him and you should be good.

???

Don't unequip the gun and just walk through him, you'll get that "bump" animation but the gun will still be equipped.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

It's been awhile, but the basic plan is:

1. soft release so you drop your gun without firing
2. Run in front of the guy
3. soft press to aim the gun at the guy (I *think* it will autopoint you his way, at least if your character is somewhere in the vision radius? )
4. Hold down button for 1st person to trigger shakedown

You'll have a small time window to run in front but you really can't waste time doing equip stuff. You need to be able to raise/drop the gun without firing.

Some guards will be irritable and refuse a shakedown. If so, you'll need to switch to a real bullet gun and hit them in the knee. (Or, bring out a really big gun for pant-wetting)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Crazymoogle said:

3. soft press to aim the gun at the guy (I *think* it will autopoint you his way, at least if your character is somewhere in the vision radius? )

You'll have a small time window to run in front but you really can't waste time doing equip stuff. You need to be able to raise/drop the gun without firing.

Some guards will be irritable and refuse a shakedown. If so, you'll need to switch to a real bullet gun and hit them in the knee. (Or, bring out a really big gun for pant-wetting)

Ok, thats where im confused...when youre holding him up youre holding both R1 and square at the same time. Wont Snake fire if i let go of square?

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, thats where im confused...when youre holding him up youre holding both R1 and square at the same time. Wont Snake fire if i let go of square?

No, it's pressure sensitive. You can drop the gun with a soft release (instead of just letting go, do a kind of semi-slow release)

survivor

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
No, it's pressure sensitive. You can drop the gun with a soft release (instead of just letting go, do a kind of semi-slow release)
I wish I knew about this. It would have saved me so many screw ups when I played in MGS2.

Crazymoogle said:

Okay, here's some quick tips on top of this to make hold-ups easier!!

1. Always hold them up with an M9 so if you do accidentally fire, it's no big deal, just wake them up.
2. You can hold down L1 while pressing Square to keep your weapon up and locked onto them, and (This is the important part) you are able to run around them with a weapon pointed at them so they don't perceive an opening to try to KO you and call for back up.
3. You can swap your equipped weapon in the R2 menu when you've exited out of first-person view, and they won't perceive that as an opening either.
4. Shoot one of their legs or one of their arms, that will be enough persuasion for any soldier to give their dog tag to you. You can do both an arm and a leg, but that's excessive. Both arms or both legs instantly kills a guy, I don't get it either.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Okay, here's some quick tips on top of this to make hold-ups easier!!

1. Always hold them up with an M9 so if you do accidentally fire, it's no big deal, just wake them up.
2. You can hold down L1 while pressing Square to keep your weapon up and locked onto them, and (This is the important part) you are able to run around them with a weapon pointed at them so they don't perceive an opening to try to KO you and call for back up.
3. You can swap your equipped weapon in the R2 menu when you've exited out of first-person view, and they won't perceive that as an opening either.
4. Shoot one of their legs or one of their arms, that will be enough persuasion for any soldier to give their dog tag to you. You can do both an arm and a leg, but that's excessive. Both arms or both legs instantly kills a guy, I don't get it either.

This is how I do it, seems to work pretty well.

Also, is it possible to get the tags off the "tougher" enemies who need to be shot when you only have the M9?

DualShadow said:
This is how I do it, seems to work pretty well.

Also, is it possible to get the tags off the "tougher" enemies who need to be shot when you only have the M9?
If the only weapon you have on you is the M9 and you don't have anything else at the moment, then you hafta come back later on in the game with lethal weaponry. Until then, send them to lala land with a tranq and come back later.

SamuraiX-

Red Blaster said:
???

Don't unequip the gun and just walk through him, you'll get that "bump" animation but the gun will still be equipped.

This turned into a confusing mess.

I don't know what anybody is asking anymore. lol

Fu... still no LE at the Pacific Centre EBGames, guess I am screwed at that location. Apparently me along with two others who pre-ordered are waiting for our copies still, the rep told me they messed up the priority for pre-orders during the midnight launch for MW3 (fuk that game... lol) and just gave the LEs to whoever pre-ordered and came first (not who pre-ordered first). Argh... please Jebus, please.

sca2511

madmook said:
Fuckin' GameStop gave me MW3 Hardened.

Oh well, guess this'll be the first time I try selling something on Amazon.
Same crap happened to me. I returned it to a nearby store and they gave me a gift card. They also called other stores to see if they're in stock and yipee, there is one. I go to the other one and they say that they thought the other Gamestop asked for the 360 version. Im looking for the ps3 one. So I'm pretty damn frustrated.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm not missing any effects in my PS3 game. The bugs were the. The rope was there. Haven't played MGS3 just yet.

I did just see the "Gorge" scene though...that is extremely weird. Not sure why they even had to touch the text for the cutscene?

SamuraiX-

Ah, look what was waiting for me when I got home today.

QLh75l.jpg

Fuck you, GameStop. FUCK. YOU.

I give you a chance to redeem yourselves and this is what I fucking get. Fuck you. Asshole motherfuckers.

I refuse to ever to business with this shit organization again under any circumstances.

And because of this I didn't jump on that latest shipment that Amazon put up last night because I was expecting to get me LE today.

madmook

Yep, even though I can sell the MW3 and make some money I still would've much rather received what I fucking ordered in the first place. That they did this en masse tells me they did this on purpose. Though for what reason I cannot fathom, because MW3 Hardened costs more than the MGSHD LE.

iLLmAtlc

SamuraiX- said:
Ah, look what was waiting for me when I got home today.

QLh75l.jpg

Fuck you, GameStop. FUCK. YOU.

I give you a chance to redeem yourselves and this is what I fucking get. Fuck you. Asshole motherfuckers.

I refuse to ever to business with this shit organization again under any circumstances.

And because of this I didn't jump on that latest shipment that Amazon put up last night because I was expecting to get me LE today.

Not sure if you saw but a few posts up has someone reporting selling their version of COD for $155 on Amazon. Might as well turn this Gamestop blunder into a profitable venture IMO. >__>

Also, the old lady who ran over the dude is one of the nastier bitches I've read about in a while. Glad you're all right man.

I know it's the principle of this that has you all worked up, but it's not that bad. Those hardened editions are selling for a pretty penny online. More than enough to make a solid profit off your initial investment.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I really do wish I could use a keyboard (which I know the PS3 can support) when it comes to playing Metal Gear 1 and 2. Yes I know it's fine without, but I want some nostalgia enhancement here.

SamuraiX-

I honestly have never had to ship anything in my life. Amazon is a fucking killer on commission. Would you all recommend eBay? I really have no idea how any of this works.

I can only assume there's a GAF thread for this. lol

Desmond said:
Did you blow up any munitions sheds? Maybe a guard was caught in the blast
Yeah I think this is what happened. I blew up a few sheds but didn't really check for nearby guards.

I can't believe how amazing mgs3 is. I hated OG mgs3 so much because of the camera but now I think it's my favorite game in the series. Young ocelot is awesome.

ScOULaris

jett said:
No rain at the bridge in MGS3? wat
This is the one that bothers me the most. It's so ridiculous. The whole scene is about it starting to rain blood, only it's NOT FUCKING RAINING ON SCREEN. The other bugs mentioned are mostly quick glitches (except the lice), but this one takes the fucking cake.

Crazymoogle said:
You don't have to do that... keep the gun button pressed, then just hold down L1 and you will continue to aim at the guard while you walk around in front of him, then hold R1 to go first person and start aiming at his head and crotch... if he gets tough, shoot him in the leg with the SOCOM...

edit: beaten...

Ridley327

Desmond said:
YYH reference ?He's in Peace Walker?
It's an ultra-brief cameo, but if you stay near a ghost in Extra Ops 62, it causes some interference over the codec and eventually The End shows up to taunt you. If you contact him, continue the mission and you'll also receive his Neo Moss camo at the end.

Desmond

Ridley327 said:
It's an ultra-brief cameo, but if you stay near a ghost in Extra Ops 62, it causes some interference over the codec and eventually The End shows up to taunt you. If you contact him, continue the mission and you'll also receive his Neo Moss camo at the end.
Cool. I played very little PW. I actually did the first few fulton extra-ops today.

Got only A ranks (no alerts etc). I assume I have to be quicker for S?

Ridley327

Desmond said:
Cool. I played very little PW. I actually did the first few fulton extra-ops today.

Got only A ranks (no alerts etc). I assume I have to be quicker for S?
Most non-combat Extra Ops are heavily time-based. You'll get into the groove soon enough.

Doing a perfect run on Extra Ops 50 feels good (and it gets you the Stealth). Can't wait to blow through it again when I unlock it.

Top Bottom