• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

BannedEpisode said:
I know it's the principle of this that has you all worked up, but it's not that bad. Those hardened editions are selling for a pretty penny online. More than enough to make a solid profit off your initial investment.

Yes, it is.

It's not even vaguely defensible.

Particularly in my case where a) global shipping makes returns - and to a minor degree, reselling - difficult, and b) we ordered 2 of one thing and got 1 of another. Any response from GameStop? Of course not.

FUCK THE FURY

what am i supposed to do, ffs

mosin nagant only gets me so far. after a while i can't use stealth, but i dont know what else to do. trying to win non-lethally. been on him for a good two hours now. :(((((

MercuryLS said:
Peace Walker is the shit, man this game is so fun. I love the quick missions, the weapon upgrading, etc. I don't really get the significance of the crew that you have, are they only there to upgrade your weapons/items?

Also, should I pay with people online or just stick to SP for now?

Yeah you mainly need to see who is on what team to increase your research capabilities etc. You should also use good soldiers to do missions for you.

I finished it on the PSP solo, might suggest only getting online to defeat some of the bonus-bosses after the main game.

way more

I finally get the chance to finish MGS3 when it arrives tomorrow.

Tragically, after buying the game, playing for some scant hours and leaving for college my PS2 was stolen. I assumed the PS3 had backwards compatibility but noooooooo! I never even got to defeat the Bee Man.

What small hints can you tell me to rekindle the inferno I once felt? So many growing pains are evident when playing old gen games. I just hope it lives up to my few memories.

Desmond said:
Cool. I played very little PW. I actually did the first few fulton extra-ops today.

Got only A ranks (no alerts etc). I assume I have to be quicker for S?

I think you have to be quick with no alerts and no kills.

Desmond said:

Volgin said it several times in MGS3. I think that's what the trophy was referencing.

Daigoro

AlphaSnake said:
Can I be an asshole for a minute? I've never seen anyone else say this before, but I just have to get it off my chest:

I hate the Snake Eater song. It's so bad and cheesy. I get it. It's supposed to sound like an old James Bond song would. But ugh, it's just painful to me. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. I can't stand hearing it.

cheesy yes, bad no. i think the song is great.

mac said:
What small hints can you tell me to rekindle the inferno I once felt? So many growing pains are evident when playing old gen games. I just hope it lives up to my few memories.

the game is still amazing and has aged very well. if it doesnt live up, its your memory thats at fault, not the game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
AlphaSnake said:
Can I be an asshole for a minute? I've never seen anyone else say this before, but I just have to get it off my chest:

I hate the Snake Eater song. It's so bad and cheesy. I get it. It's supposed to sound like an old James Bond song would. But ugh, it's just painful to me. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. I can't stand hearing it.

That's what makes it so good. I agree when it plays in the beginning it's like..lol..but when it plays on the ladder..after so many hours into the game..omg...so perfect. That feeling of being a Cold War era spy like a Bond is why I love 3.

MGS3 is the best Bond/spy game ever.

Yagharek

One tip for beating The Fury:

CQC whilst using the combat knife - that will tear his suit and makes his stamina drop quicker. I think.

Fury is super easy, run & gun, kick and punch. I think you can also do punch+headshots with MK22

And Snake Eater is such a great song, based solely on it being on the fight vs. The Ladder

DraculaDillenger said:
The old lady was less than helpful--she cussed me out and demanded I "get up and stop making a scene". Thankfully, a tow-truck driver provided his coat to shield me from the rain and a call to the police. She was charged and I'm hoping her insurance covers my costs and a new bike.

Thanks for all the kind words, dudes. Nerds of a feather and all that.

What the hell.....wow hope everything turns out ok man

Carnby

I have the Ultimate HD version on preorder at Zavvi, and my account says that it is shipping on November 25th. I thought the European version was delayed until February.

So I emailed Zavvi and asked them about the release date. My response was, "We still have the dispatch date as November 25th. No further information is provided." ....Thanks?

Carnby

sechsterangriff said:
You mean the LE?

No. Ulitmate HD is the limited version that has MGS 1 through 4. MGS 1 is a DLC code. It also comes with 5 art cards. There are only 4k being made world wide, and each one is numbered and packaged in a steel book.

PnCIa

I´ve got a couple of questions, which one should i get, PS3 or 360? Any difference between the versions? And is this "no rain" bug only present on the PS3...

ScOULaris

This collection has gotten me back into an MGS-saga mood.

Here are two great resources if you feel like getting deep into the trivia, history, and mythology of the MGS series.

http://metalgear.wikia.com

While perusing that site, I was also reminded that there is a translated version of Kojima's original design document for MGS2 online. It's an interesting read, and it gives you a clear look at how things were changed from the beginning of development to completion. It was originally going to be called MGSIII just to fuck with our expectations. ;)

Here's a link to the PDF for that.

Wow... Finished Metal Gear Solid 2 for only the second time last night (the first was when I bought the PS2 version on release in 2001) and man, that whole series of events from capture to finale is just batshit crazy... I don't know much about "art" in video games, and I don't really care how "meta" Kojima was being; this last chapter is freaking WEIRD. I feel like the game was jerking me around like a monkey on a chain all night long...

I gotta agree that the shift in the final cut scene
where Arsenal cruises under the bridge and then Solidus and Raiden are tumbling onto the roof of Federal Hall
is pretty jarring - they should really restore the original footage for that.

The battle with the Rays and the final boss fight were freaking great tho'!

Guzim

ScOULaris said:
This collection has gotten me back into an MGS-saga mood.

Here are two great resources if you feel like getting deep into the trivia, history, and mythology of the MGS series.

http://metalgear.wikia.com

While perusing that site, I was also reminded that there is a translated version of Kojima's original design document for MGS2 online. It's an interesting read, and it gives you a clear look at how things were changed from the beginning of development to completion. It was originally going to be called MGSIII just to fuck with our expectations. ;)

Here's a link to the PDF for that.
Thanks for the links. Reading the game plan for MGS2 is fascinating. I am glad they removed this about Fortune.

A saxophone player, she plays the sax during cut-scenes throughout the game.

ScOULaris

I love stumbling across awesomely unnecessary backstory information on the Metal Gear Wikia. Check out this gem about Gray Fox:

During the 1988 Winter Olympic Games in Calgary, while living under the alias of "Frank Hunter," Frank became romantically involved with Czech figure skating champion Gustava Heffner. The two tried to elope together, but American authorities rejected her bid for asylum and she was sent back to her country, where she was stripped of her competition rights. Following this incident, Frank developed a great deal of resentment for his superiors.

Fox and Snake met again after four years when the bridge leading to the detention camp where Dr. Marv was being held was destroyed by Fox himself. Ironically enough, Fox also caused the death of his former lover, Gustava Heffner (who was in Zanzibar Land, now serving as an StB agent and Marv's bodyguard), when he destroyed the bridge, though he was possibly unaware of this.

Don't ever change, Kojima.
KuGsj.gif

worldrevolution said:
That's what makes it so good. I agree when it plays in the beginning it's like..lol..but when it plays on the ladder..after so many hours into the game..omg...so perfect. That feeling of being a Cold War era spy like a Bond is why I love 3.

MGS3 is the best Bond/spy game ever.

This.

Shit came out of nowhere while climbing that long ladder and the only word that came to mind was "FUCKING EPIC". It seriously was one of my most memorable moments in gaming history.

I love me some Metal Gear.

ScOULaris

Okay, I love all of Noriyoshi Ohrai's paintings for the Metal Gear series... but what the FUCK was he thinking with Fortune's tits in this picture?

497px-MGS2_Artwork.jpg

Does anyone know a faster way to get level 3 gripe? The method I just tried was 20-30 chin ups then hang-fall-hang 20 times works pretty quickly.

Salaadin

Toonami 99 said:
Does anyone know a faster way to get level 3 gripe? The method I just tried was 20-30 chin ups then hang-fall-hang 20 times works pretty quickly.

I used to just hang-fall-hang when I wanted to level it up. I think I used to go in that area right after
fake Vulcan Raven
on the Tanker.

EDIT: LOL @ that painting in general. Snake, Fortunes boobs. A lot of it just looks so off.

UberTag

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Damn, trophies in Peace Walker are hard to come by; nearly 30hrs in and I'm only around 25%.
Did you manage to get the "You're pretty good" achievement for shooting an enemy soldier in the rear? Haven't been able to get it to pop for me despite numerous attempts.

Ridley327

UberTag said:
Did you manage to get the "You're pretty good" achievement for shooting an enemy soldier in the rear? Haven't been able to get it to pop for me despite numerous attempts.
I had that pop when I wasn't trying for it; I think you'll know that you're successful if he drops as soon as you hit them there.

Tarin02543

ScOULaris said:
Okay, I love all of Noriyoshi Ohrai's paintings for the Metal Gear series... but what the FUCK was he thinking with Fortune's tits in this picture?

Thos are obviously nuclear warheads

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ScOULaris said:

You're noticing Fortune's tits when his painting has a fucked up Snake in it? Really?!

Angry Fork

AlphaSnake said:

Some of the lyrics are beyond awful (some days, you'll feed, on a tree froooooggg!!!), but everything else I love to death.

ScOULaris

Here's a better one of MGS2. Less torpedo tits and zombie snake. Although it looks like he put fortune's head on Raiden's body. Pretty unsettling.

mgs2-2.jpg

I haven't played a MGS game since MGS back when it came out for the PS1. I really want to get this collection along with MGS1 from PSN and MGS4

Here's my problem: I cant decide if I should play them on the order they came out or in the order the story takes place.

HELP ME GAF!

Desmond

Gorilla Shark said:
I haven't played a MGS game since MGS back when it came out for the PS1. I really want to get this collection along with MGS1 from PSN and MGS4

Here's my problem: I cant decide if I should play them on the order they came out or in the order the story takes place.

HELP ME GAF!
Order of release

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gorilla Shark said:

HELP ME GAF!

Order of release. Like someone else mentioned, that way you won't have to downgrade in control mechanics. MGS1 and MGS2 were a bit clunkier compared to MGS3, and especially MGS4.

survivor

Banned
Been playing MGS3 today. Just beat the Pain and got out of the caves. Pretty fun boss fight. I took a long time to beat him, but it was still fun.

BTW before the fight there was a place with a helicopter in it. Does it appear sometime later to fight against me? In one video I watched the dude said it's better to destroy it so I took it out.

Desmond

survivor said:
Been playing MGS3 today. Just beat the Pain and got out of the caves. Pretty fun boss fight. I took a long time to beat him, but it was still fun.

BTW before the fight there was a place with a helicopter in it. Does it appear sometime later to fight against me? In one video I watched the dude said it's better to destroy it so I took it out.
I don't think so, but I honestly haven't played 3 in about 5 years lol

Salaadin

survivor said:

There are choppers that appear later but I honestly dont know if the one you took out affects them or not.

survivor said:

If my memory is correct, there a chopper on a patrol later on (not really a fight), if you blew it up it'll be replaced with hover craft guys. I thought the chopper was easier to avoid.

Top Bottom