• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

What scores do you think Metaphor: ReFantazio will get?

• 55-60%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 61-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brenobnfm

I doubt anyone is going to make a huge deal about the numerous loading screens either, low production values and asset quality for a $70 game, lack of live instruments in the OST recording. And I really want to know how the expert pacing actually is since it's supposedly a 100+ hour game. If they improved in that area, that would be great, but it's impossible to tell if any of that is accurate when they lie about other things.

That comes with territory, you have to accept devs like Atlus and From simply prioritizes other things, you can play the overproduced crap that Sony, Ubisoft, EA and the likes make that has everything you're asking.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm surprised with how the game looks that it isn't coming to Switch on release. The constant loading transitions are insane. Even with all that it has framerate issues on PS5, so weird. What I've seen of the battle system it's like almost exactly the same as Persona down to the elemental affinities. Absolutely surprised that they are selling this for $70. It all feels so low budget, the animations are trash, the environments are bland, the music is lame and these characters look like shit. I thought that maybe playing the demo would make the game look better to me but so far, it's actually worse than what I've seen from the previews. I've been very critical of this game for awhile now as well as SMTV. Makes me worry about Persona 6. Starting to think modern Atlus just kinda sucks.
Agree with all the bolded. I still thought it was fun when I played the demo, because it has good voice acting at least and the story and lore were interesting. But I'm definitely waiting for a price cut or two. It's just a let down that it's such a copy and paste of Persona after years of wondering what a new Atlus IP would be with those vague Project ReFantasy images. The lore is at least an improvement over Persona from what I played. I was interested in the setting. And loading doesn't ever mean it's a dealbreaker for me, but the selective importance people put on it is ridiculous. I thought loading in a current gen RPG was literally unforgivable for most people on here. Guess it's fine.

That comes with territory, you have to accept devs like Atlus and From simply prioritizes other things, you can play the overproduced crap that Sony, Ubisoft, EA and the likes make that has everything you're asking.
It's not too low budget to play. It's too low budget to justify a $70 price tag for me though. Lots of great games have low production values. They don't charge over $100 for the full editions though.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I'm just going to be honest with myself here and wait for a lul in new releases before picking this up.

I still need to finish wukong and astrobot, silent hill 2 has been amazing and I'm binging satisfactory in the background. Plus I already said romancing saga 2 will be my jrpg pickup later this month.

Me to metaphor right now:

Stressed Out Netflix GIF
Luckily i don't have my Gaming laptop at work with me so i can't actually buy anything for another week. Might be a decent cooling off period.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gamespot gave it a perfect score.

Perfect score from Eurogamer

Suspicious Tyler James Williams GIF by ABC Network

OK, how woke is this?

brenobnfm

It's not too low budget to play. It's too low budget to justify a $70 price tag for me though. Lots of great games have low production values. They don't charge over $100 for the full editions though.

I want that too, it would be great if these games were made on cutting edge tech, but i still 101% rather play this or Elden Ring than state of the art graphics like Horizon Forbidden West. Don't forget that this game started dev in 2016 and got locked in the old tech of P5 engine while something more recent like P3 Reload looks beautiful with Unreal, so i'll give them a pass all things considered.

Magister

Neo Member
After failure of a game that was Soul Hackers 2, we are finally getting so many good Atlus games. I can't keep up, so unfortunately I will buy it on sale. Still have to platinum P3R and beat SMTVV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Like I said regardless what score it got I was buying this game no matter what, liked the demo A LOT and Hashino makes damn good games.

But as usual most GAF jump on hate wagon over graphics and they doing same with MH Wilds……they just never learn.

GHG

After failure of a game that was Soul Hackers 2, we are finally getting so many good Atlus games. I can't keep up, so unfortunately I will buy it on sale. Still have to platinum P3R and beat SMTVV.

Can I be controversial and say I didnt think soul hackers 2 was that bad?

I thought it was a solid 8/10. Although I only played it long after it's release on the Steam deck late last year, so maybe that influenced my feelings on it.

stop-whining-whine.gif

Play the demo.

I already played it my man.

I was joking, partially.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Fuck bros, daaaaammmnnnnn!!!!

Bros, BROS!!!! We eatin' bois, we eatin!!! We Eatin Bros!!!!!

GotMFYMFFUCSWTF

Damn it boi, damnit! We have a goty winner right here bois. Right here!

Adjusted for JRPG this is the greatest game ever made.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have never played a persona game. The gui looks very…edgy. Is that something one looks past when delving into these games?

This doesn't play like Persona so you're good on that front. This plays more like a grand-fantasy JRPG.

The UI .. well I don't know if Edgy is the word I'd use, it's definitely FLASHY.

Dynasty8

I have never played a persona game. The gui looks very…edgy. Is that something one looks past when delving into these games?

If you're talking specifically about the GUI of the game, it is one of the positive things that the studio is known for. Their UI from Persona games are very stylish....but I admit, sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming when starting. I'll say though, you get used to it pretty fast and start appreciating it after a while.

This doesn't play like Persona so you're good on that front. This plays more like a grand-fantasy JRPG.

The UI .. well I don't know if Edgy is the word I'd use, it's definitely FLASHY.

If you're talking specifically about the GUI of the game, it is one of the positive things that the studio is known for. Their UI from Persona games are very stylish....but I admit, sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming when starting. I'll say though, you get used to it pretty fast and start appreciating it after a while.
Perhaps ”edgy” did not quite come across as I intended, what I meant was rather ”attempted edgy” than edgy during the combat phase. :D

Last edited:
Would a non weeb who doesnt like japanese dating sim games enjoy this?

I will never understand the popularity of P5...

But a free demo is very market friendly, so I'll give that a whirl and see.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

Would be very funny in a year with 2 arguably GOAT candidates of their genre like Rebirth and Metaphor if they give the GOTY to a kid game like Astrobot.

Bojji

A bit offtopic, but how did you like Soul Hackers 2 so far? I haven't played it yet, but I know that user opinions on it are a bit mixed.

I REALLY like it.

This year was Atlus for me: Persona 4G, Persona 5 Royal (completed standard version years ago), Persona 3R and SMT5V. After that I didn't know what to play so SH2 was only thing left.

Game is more mature than other games, you control adult people that have adult problems. Fighting system is good, it's similar but has it's own twist to it (sabbath). Party is always the same 4 people so no problem with someone underleveled (but you can change their "personas", even mid fight).

Of course game had less budget than typical Persona game so world is quite simple and graphics are PS3 quality (at least it's 1800p, 60FPS locked on PS5). Music is amazing as always.

Biggest problem are barren axis locations, they are like mementos but not random - bit boring but ok overall.

You can rest at any point basically (returning to hideout) so annoying "days" system from persona is not here. Overall game is like a mix of SMT and Persona, I hope we will get SH3 someday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom